Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shocked there is no weather system

2»

Comments

• WillowFuxxyWillowFuxxy Member Posts: 406
    Originally posted by thunderC
    I Cant believe a open seamless world game like this  doesnt have weather system. Maybe im missing it but i havent seen any rain yet... Any plans to add this in the future?

that is a good point.

weather systems by now are expected standard features. in my opinion.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Weather system might make sense if it really impacted the game world, in fact, should it snow it actually reduces crop yields, if it rains it increases it etc.

But without that, it's just meaningless eye candy and not something they really need to be focusing on right now.

worst. argument. ever.

Nonsense, the only real argument, if it doesn't serve a purpose, it really isn't relevant, at least in my view of gaming.

archeage basically lives on it's eyecandy. you see it everywhere in every bloody vid and screenshot, and you come up with THAT not being needed as an argument?

It does not, doesn't win many awards with folks around here for it's awesome graphics and it certainly isn't why I enjoy playing it. I'm there for the game systems themselves, the trade pack runs, the PVP, the crafting, could care less what anything really looks like.

then why aren't you playing anarchy online ^^

Because I either stare at spreadsheets while I play EVE or play a circa 2003 version of DAOC when it's available.

ps: DAoC actually had an awesome weather system back in 2k4. you left tracks in the snow, it (the floor) actually went from being lightly covered to full covered snow ground... and now you tell me this would be too complicated?

I will agree with you here, I really loved the fact that back in the day the weather could actually hide your opponents, dark was really dark, and I loved the snow filled areas, spent as much of time there as I could.  And you'll note, it did serve a purpose.

Where did I say this would be too complicated?  But certainly isn't a game breaker either at this point.

i call bullshit here.

Call it what you want, doesn't change the fact your argument is specious.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• oldschoolpunkoldschoolpunk Member Posts: 281

Its less that fact of "Is it really needed" (although I think, like others, that it would have made a pretty significant impact if implemented properly) and it's more about "how hard would it have been to implement?"  Judging from the history of MMO's and diverse weather systems, Id guess it wouldn't be hard at all....it wasn't some new innovation or crazy idea...

This is just one of the things that irks me about AA...it feels as though they wanted to build a generic game from the get go....but then you get in a boat and you're blown away.  They could have made a REALLY good game, but instead shot straight for mediocre.  They are lucky there are no other games coming out right now or they'd be in trouble.  Since there are none, this is everyone's "Shining Beacon of Hopelessness" that they'll infest for a few months til something better comes along, all the while praising it for being the best thing since sliced bread.

Don't get me wrong, Im playing it as a FTP player and it's enjoyable enough to play it, I just think the devs made a number of lazy decisions that cost the game from being great.

On a side note, my favorite weather system was Ryzom....the animals would migrate according to the weather....was awesome.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

There are some weather effects- rain and mist, and even some snow when you get high in the mountains.

But no weather cycles, no.  Which to me isn't as important as performance, and this game performs steller with lots of people on the screen which is important for large scale pvp.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Nah thanks, I like my FPS the way it is!
  • JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    Originally posted by tachgb

Normaly games have a graphic option to check weather effects off.

• WillowFuxxyWillowFuxxy Member Posts: 406
    Originally posted by Jabas

but I thought 30 FPS was considered fine now.

• LeGrosGamerV2LeGrosGamerV2 Member Posts: 90
    It's P2W remember?  Probably got to pay for some weather action image
  • tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Non-PVP or Singleplayer games, am I right?

Why should only be that way? i dont remember atm, but have the idea that normally exist that option and i only play mmorpgs.

I might be wrong but dont see why shouldnt exist that option in a pvp mmorpg.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by LeGrosGamerV2

It wouldn't surprise me that if they added weather that rain made you move slower, blizzard have -range and attack slower, unless you buy some rain boots and a pair of mitts from the store XD

I won't play this game and it is p2w, there's a group of P2Wers on Salphira (sp?) that are level 50 with the best gear in the game, and they were killing people left and right and pretty much own all the zones at war, they almost never die and just steamroll over everyone else.  It's like a level 30 fighting a level 90 in WoW, it's impossible to kill them.  We managed to kill one of them...with 32 people from my pirate guild lol.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

Ultima Online lets you turn off weather in your graphics options.  Of course, weather is purely a graphical effect there in the first place.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by Gravarg

It wouldn't surprise me that if they added weather that rain made you move slower, blizzard have -range and attack slower, unless you buy some rain boots and a pair of mitts from the store XD

I won't play this game and it is p2w, there's a group of P2Wers on Salphira (sp?) that are level 50 with the best gear in the game, and they were killing people left and right and pretty much own all the zones at war, they almost never die and just steamroll over everyone else.  It's like a level 30 fighting a level 90 in WoW, it's impossible to kill them.  We managed to kill one of them...with 32 people from my pirate guild lol.

Wow, that's starting already?  ....actually, I'm not sure that's impressive how fast they did it or not (you should never underestimate a dedicated pod of whales...)

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Wow, that's starting already?  ....actually, I'm not sure that's impressive how fast they did it or not (you should never underestimate a dedicated pod of whales...)

I'm not sure if it's worse that he trolled you or that you belived in him.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

Ryzom (Happy 10th Anniversary!) did it right:

- 4 seasons, where the ground and foliage change.  Red leaves in the fall, spring green in the summer, snow on the ground in winter, etc. And the mobs migrate and change behavior based on season. And the mats you dig may only be available during certain seasons.

- day/night cycle, where it is a lot darker at night, and some mats are only available during the day or at night

- weather, like rain, snow, etc, that affects the placement and availability of mats.

So you may be searching for that special mat to make that special sword, and it's only available at night, in the rain, in summer.

Or you may be trying to sneak through a tough area, and can take advantage of the fact that in winter the worst mobs have migrated over to a new spot.

edit: in the PvP area (Prime Roots) where the best mats are, the placement of them changes based on season. So the change of seasons triggers PvP fights over the new spots.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• oldschoolpunkoldschoolpunk Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by olepi

Ryzom (Happy 10th Anniversary!) did it right:

- 4 seasons, where the ground and foliage change.  Red leaves in the fall, spring green in the summer, snow on the ground in winter, etc. And the mobs migrate and change behavior based on season. And the mats you dig may only be available during certain seasons.

- day/night cycle, where it is a lot darker at night, and some mats are only available during the day or at night

- weather, like rain, snow, etc, that affects the placement and availability of mats.

So you may be searching for that special mat to make that special sword, and it's only available at night, in the rain, in summer.

Or you may be trying to sneak through a tough area, and can take advantage of the fact that in winter the worst mobs have migrated over to a new spot.

^^ this!!!

• breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374

I guess snow and rain aint weather then.

Must have been somthing else falling from the sky.

I would advice to put on some glasses.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    FFXIV ARR has a fabulous weather system. Even some quests are determined by the weather. You should check it out.
    Chamber of Chains

Arent some users overreacting a bit about this topic?

It was cool if they have some ideas posting on this threat, but not having is far from be a game breaker imo.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by thunderC
    I Cant believe a open seamless world game like this  doesnt have weather system. Maybe im missing it but i havent seen any rain yet... Any plans to add this in the future?

One of best weather conditions I have seen in any game ARR have. That would be close to all I liked there at the end. In AA not even this.  Few times I have able to login for something like 15 mins I have already concluded games is not for me, nothing special. I have Wow, Swtor and Rift. Besides all this would not have any permanent plans to play AA as it is PVP enforced, no pure PVE servers.

But have nothing against those that enjoy AA.