Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Secret mailing list of "gaming journalists"

GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

I think most of us know that the term "games journalist" is a total joke and that a good many of these "journalists" aren't much more than fan bloggers that are often unprofessional and generally terrible at being a real journalist.  I'm also sure that most of us know that "games journalism" is full of nepotism and incestuous, with a lot of friends and former co-workers spread out in the gaming industry.  Well, now we know that a lot of the more well known gaming sites actively conspire with each other in regards to what stories they cover and how they cover them.  The most recent example of this is the whole GamerGate/Zoe Quinn thing (not going to go into details, use Google if you dare).  A number of these "games journalists" coordinated their response to it through a secret Google mailing group.  As the article below states: "The GameJournoPros emails appear to confirm widely-held suspicions that video game journalists operate with one voice and collude on major issues to distort coverage of ethics violations and to support figures to whom they are politically sympathetic."  I would also say that it wouldn't be a stretch if they collude on reviews and the amount of coverage they give games.

I wonder if any members of this sites staff are on that list?image

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/09/17/Exposed-the-secret-mailing-list-of-the-gaming-journalism-elite

https://archive.today/JFoxJ

Side note: I really wish it wasn't the Breitbart site that found this because they are usually right wing dick heads who should burn in hell forever.  Oh well, I guess the sun has to shine on a dog's ass every now and then.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Comments

• GazenthiaGazenthia Member Posts: 1,186
    This is why I never really relied on Kotaku or IGN at all, unless it was for a specific piece of information such as a release date or patch details. That whole thing with Zoe is really creepy though, especially how people act like they are scared to say anything bad about what she did (and she did).

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/12/13/

• ducesettutamducesettutam Member UncommonPosts: 85
    You may not care for Breitbart but they are the only ones willing to report on #Gamergate. Pretty much every other internet based outlet has their fingers in the pie or has decided to willfully ignore the issue. The thing is it extends beyond gaming media and into mainstream journoblogging. As evidenced by the recent XOXO event where many of the writers who SHOULD be reporting on it we instead hobnobbing with Anita Sarkeesian and Leigh Alexander.
This discussion has been closed.