Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gender lock still on or dropped ?

Comments

• BlaedusBlaedus Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Good Lord, Bless is still being talked bout here?!

Bravo VveV, you have unbelievable influence to have multiple people marching to your beat. I honestly admire your skill in having someone argue something they not only don't have to argue, but shouldn't in the first place. Is there some kind of reputation system on these forums? Cause I believe you deserve +reps for all the work you're putting in.

Amate, I'm severely disappointed with you. If you really are Amae from YouTube, I enjoyed your BDO videos immensely. They gave me a look at the game that differed from Steparu's videos. What are you doing going back and forth about Bless? If VevV wants to sing the praises of Bless, let him. Can you really blame him since the Bless Forums are pretty much deserted? He has nowhere to go! And honestly, I believe anyone who's interested in BDO is able to make up their own minds if Bless has better features or whatever. You don't have to champion the cause.
  • v_Vev_Ve Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by Blaedus
    Good Lord, Bless is still being talked bout here?!

Bravo VveV, you have unbelievable influence to have multiple people marching to your beat. I honestly admire your skill in having someone argue something they not only don't have to argue, but shouldn't in the first place. Is there some kind of reputation system on these forums? Cause I believe you deserve +reps for all the work you're putting in.

Amate, I'm severely disappointed with you. If you really are Amae from YouTube, I enjoyed your BDO videos immensely. They gave me a look at the game that differed from Steparu's videos. What are you doing going back and forth about Bless? If VevV wants to sing the praises of Bless, let him. Can you really blame him since the Bless Forums are pretty much deserted? He has nowhere to go! And honestly, I believe anyone who's interested in BDO is able to make up their own minds if Bless has better features or whatever. You don't have to champion the cause.

First Paragraph-

That was actually my point that i brought up. When i first mention Bless it was as a side-point, but then lots of people kept acting like that was my main point. And ty, I try to make sure  lessers are in their place, even in rl.

Second Paragraph-

Um actually I am quite active on the Bless forums/source forum lol. Is it not possible to be active on more than one forum? That excuse is getting old tbh. The whole reason why I even came here and was to make sure this heap wasn't only being praised like ESO was when both games have some serious issues. Why is it when someone talks negatively bout a game people get defensive? >.>

Witty & Wicked >:)

• BlaedusBlaedus Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Originally posted by VveV

Second Paragraph-

Um actually I am quite active on the Bless forums/source forum lol. Is it not possible to be active on more than one forum? That excuse is getting old tbh. The whole reason why I even came here and was to make sure this heap wasn't only being praised like ESO was when both games have some serious issues. Why is it when someone talks negatively bout a game people get defensive? >.>

Pardon me, I should've made myself clearer. When I said "Bless Forums", I meant the forums here on mmorpg.com which is very much a ghost town as it hasn't had real activity since nearly a year ago (trust me, I pop in there just like I do with BDO). And I don't have a problem with you badmouthing BDO, but bringing Bless into it is a separate thing entirely. This thread was ALREADY talking bout a feature that didn't sit right with many, yet you brought up Bless...for what? If you feel so strongly that Bless is/was/will be so much better than BDO, why couldn't you just make a thread for both games instead of nearly singlehandedly derailing this one?
    Originally posted by Blaedus

Second Paragraph-

Pardon me, I should've made myself clearer. When I said "Bless Forums", I meant the forums here on mmorpg.com which is very much a ghost town as it hasn't had real activity since nearly a year ago (trust me, I pop in there just like I do with BDO). And I don't have a problem with you badmouthing BDO, but bringing Bless into it is a separate thing entirely. This thread was ALREADY talking bout a feature that didn't sit right with many, yet you brought up Bless...for what? If you feel so strongly that Bless is/was/will be so much better than BDO, why couldn't you just make a thread for both games instead of nearly singlehandedly derailing this one?

I accept your pardon, but yes you should have stated that. Bless is in a earlier state of testing that BDO is, when BDO was in such a state it was indeed a ghost town here. To act like the games are at the same stage of testing is a fallacy, considering esp since I didn't state such. As well i never stated you had a issue with me, and I already stated how i brought up Bless as a side-point. Whether it had any to do with what was being discussion is quite irrelevant, considering it somehow became the main topic of discussion. 

I already stated my whole purpose of even being here was because i wanted to clear up the hazy fog that fan-bois will put up to hid negatives about their game. And i most definitely did not "singlehandedly", as you put it, derail this thread. I even made comments in my previous points, how some hoe Bless became the main topic and BDO became secondary.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

It's alright if they make a differently named but mirrored version for each gender.

You'd think that just making a small little option to pick your gender in the first place would be the easier option though.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

It's alright if they make a differently named but mirrored version for each gender.

You'd think that just making a small little option to pick your gender in the first place would be the easier option though.

Mirrored classes doesn't mean they will be exactly like eachoter, look on EQ2s mirrored classes.

Anyways, lack of character customization is always bad, let our avatars look like we want in any MMO.

For me it will however be far worse if all characters of a class look and dress very similar then genderlocks. In certain games everyone looks very similar and that just sucks.

^ Exactly my point >..> its just lazy design.

Originally posted by Loke666

Mirrored classes doesn't mean they will be exactly like eachoter, look on EQ2s mirrored classes.

Anyways, lack of character customization is always bad, let our avatars look like we want in any MMO.

For me it will however be far worse if all characters of a class look and dress very similar then genderlocks. In certain games everyone looks very similar and that just sucks.

^ This as well, it makes your game world into Clone World the MMORPG.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yes, and it is pretty common in Asian (and some low budget US) games. MMOs needs to at least give the illusion of people being different from eachother. I should be able to recognize my friends avatars just by look and not on the name over their head. It is after all not 1996 anymore and graphics have evolved since M59 and The Realm.

Being lazy and just add 5 faces and hairstyles, same body shape and 3 different armor skins every 20 levels is cheap and boring and I avoid such games.

Yes, and it is pretty common in Asian (and some low budget US) games. MMOs needs to at least give the illusion of people being different from eachother. I should be able to recognize my friends avatars just by look and not on the name over their head. It is after all not 1996 anymore and graphics have evolved since M59 and The Realm.

Being lazy and just add 5 faces and hairstyles, same body shape and 3 different armor skins every 20 levels is cheap and boring and I avoid such games.

^ Ty, this right here sums up my entire meaning behind revealing BDO for what it really it, a low budget project.

• XosaSenpaiXosaSenpai Member Posts: 2
    So Its genderlocked? I never knew that, Well.. That sucks... -insert joke about korean mmo's here.-

Cultivate your hunger before you idealize.
    Motivate your anger to make them all realize.
    Climbing the mountain, never coming down.
    Break into the contents, never falling down.

My knee is still shaking, like I was twelve,
    Sneaking out of the classroom, by the back door.
    A man railed at me twice though, but I didn't care.
    Waiting is wasting for people like me.

Originally posted by XosaSenpai
    So Its genderlocked? I never knew that, Well.. That sucks... -insert joke about korean mmo's here.-

^ yes it is and                                                                ^yea it does 

cool avatar btw :)

• XosaSenpaiXosaSenpai Member Posts: 2

Cultivate your hunger before you idealize.
    Motivate your anger to make them all realize.
    Climbing the mountain, never coming down.
    Break into the contents, never falling down.

My knee is still shaking, like I was twelve,
    Sneaking out of the classroom, by the back door.
    A man railed at me twice though, but I didn't care.
    Waiting is wasting for people like me.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Originally posted by Dagon13
    Originally posted by Albatroes

As I said earlier in the thread, I dont really care if it ends up being completely gender locked or not since it kinda ties into most middle aged lore where men had certain jobs and women had other jobs. Now I'm really hoping its not age locked though because to me that seems completely retarded, if you want to go to lore it is always possible to have young individuals being superior to older ones because they were naturally gifted. For other aspects of the game, the character customization is simply amazing given to how much detail you could change and that was based off of one of the closed betas, so its bound to have gotten even better.

Because there are no naturally gifted women?  This is blatant sexism.  I could introduce you to dozens of women whom I'd bet are stronger than most of the men on this forum.  All of them are perfectly normal looking, well mannered individuals.

And that lore you're referencing?  Don't forget about the decades of progress women and self respecting men have made proving that women can pull more than their fair share of the weight without being restricted by your stereotypes.

Was there a point to your rant? Because obviously you can't read. Middle-aged lore where sexism was heavy. Chug some midol and relax.

• scioccosciocco Member UncommonPosts: 89

Korean CBT3 is going to start soon. Let's see what it might say about "age-locking". The one BDO fansite said it should be possible to make a wizard appear in their 30s. Not to mention the article that has been linked here repeatedly is 19 months old...

Race lock = I'm ok with.

Gender lock = I'm ok with.

Age lock = not a fan. I will play only wizard, maybe archer, and I don't wanna be old, middle-age is ok.

As for the off-topic conversation,

Game I expect to be complete shit but will try - Black Desert

Game I won't give two seconds of my time, ever - Bless

Originally posted by sciocco

O my, seems both are in a negative light....

• scioccosciocco Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Originally posted by sciocco

O my, seems both are in a negative light....

I prefer to remain as pessimistic as possible when it comes to MMORPGs. Thankfully, I love FPS & TPS so I can try to enjoy that genre in the meantime.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I'm okay with race/species restrictions on classes, as long as it fits the lore.  It's gender restrictions that i can't stand.  As humans, we want to fulfill a role, no matter what gender it is.  We identify more with gender, than any kind of fictional race/species, which is why a lot of people hate the restrictions when it's about gender.  This is why i'm disappointed that black desert will have gender-lock, and the more i read up on black desert, the more i see the typical asian mmo familiarity that i've come to dislike.
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

I'd be more concerned about the auto pathing system rather than lore based gender lock.

Lets say there was a "Shield Maiden" class...  In viking society they were female warriors so how do you expect to play a male version??

There is zero wrong with gender lock for certain classes.  People shouting "deal breaker!!" are being stupid !

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325

I enjoy when developers create a game that follows some theme.  I dont mind having dwarves that cant be mages due to some thematic reason.  I dont mind when a class has limited weapon choices due to a theme.  I can also abide by gender restrictions on some classes.  It makes sense that a succubus and banshee are female gender only.  What I hate is when every class has a gender lock without a strong thematic reason.

Now in my opinion gender locking is a minor issue when compared to equipment locking.  Nothing bothers me more than when each class can only use one specific type of weapon.  I simply cant get into games like Tera because character building options feel so limited.  When I create a character I might want to wield a sword, sword dagger combo, mace, mace axe combo, a maul, basically I like to create characters and not have the majority of important decisions made for me.  MMORPG's today are going backwards as far as character customization goes.  Yea is nice having sliders to make your character look unique but when every class has one item set for each of them, you end up looking like everyone else in your class anyway.  Then you realize that all your statistics come from that item set, because of course the developers dont want you to have a choice in what statistics you prefer.  All this in my opinion is to easy the job of the developer when balancing the mmo.  The less choices available the less balancing needed, but for me, it just kills the fun and the point of a rpg.

The point of a role playing game, in my opinion, is to create a character(s) in such a way that I enjoy playing it.  If I want a mage with high strength wielding a two handed sword, so be it.  Maybe this mage isnt the best mage in existence but if its what I want to play, allow me to. 

• RawasaRawasa Member UncommonPosts: 37
    If game developers listened  to every whiner there is, then we would have copies upon copies of games meaning there would be no uniqueness in any game (wait....aren't we there already?) keep to your ideas PA don't listen to these whiners, they have it in every other game so they want it in yours. Goddamn  SpoonFed noobs.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Gender-lock or not, I'm pretty sure you won't be looking at many clones in this game. The character creation tool at least is the most impressive one I've ever seen.

Point I was trying to make is that I don't really see why they'd take the trouble of renaming each and every class (+ possibly all their abilities) to mirror them for each gender.

Surely making a simple choice option per gender would be easier?

Originally posted by Albatroes

Middle-aged lore where sexism was heavy.

This game isn't following middle-aged lore at all. You could perhaps say that they've integrated some old European architecture into their design (but even there what I see is often 17-19th century).

Females and males alike are running around in totally unrealistic outfits like ripped tights and mini-skirts. Hardly medieval at all.

Besides, if you're not making a game that specifically wants to feature female oppression as a theme in the story, you have zero excuse to do so.

Not that I believe Black Desert will stumble on that.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Wolfhammer

I'd be more concerned about the auto pathing system rather than lore based gender lock.

Lets say there was a "Shield Maiden" class...  In viking society they were female warriors so how do you expect to play a male version??

There is zero wrong with gender lock for certain classes.  People shouting "deal breaker!!" are being stupid !

The name isn't the only thing changing though.  The skills, weapons,etc.. will also be changing.  It's not going to be a mirrored class like many people think.  This is why it will still be gender locked.

• WhitetragedyWhitetragedy Member Posts: 10

Gender lock? Great, now I can look at dat ass while I grind and when someone looks over my shoulder and asks me why I'm playing a female character, I'll be like "Can't help it, genderlocked, it's definintely not because of dat ass"

• ValentinelessValentineless Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Whitetragedy

Gender lock? Great, now I can look at dat ass while I grind and when someone looks over my shoulder and asks me why I'm playing a female character, I'll be like "Can't help it, genderlocked, it's definintely not because of dat ass"

Gender Lock should not be an issue or a game changing mechanic in which pushes players away from the game. the fact you choose female as a male player is definetly all personal preferences.