Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laptop spec question

ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I can get a good deal on the below laptop from my neighbor. I want to know if it is worth buying if I'm only buying it to use for gaming. I mostly play SWTOR and ESO and need it to play those games on at least medium settings with decent fps. 

• Notebook: Dell Studio XPS 1645 (Studio XPS 16 Series)
  • Processor: Intel Core i7 720QM
  • Graphics Adapter: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670
  • Display: 15.6 inch, 16:9, 1920×1080 pixels, glossy: yes
  • Intel Core i7 Q820 1.73GHz
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM @ 667MHz 
  • Samsung PM800 2.5″ 128gb SSD HDD
  • Radeon HD 4670 w/ 1GB RAM
  • 16″ 16:9 RGBLED screen (1920×1080) w/ 2MP webcam

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

How do you know it's a good deal if you don't even know what it is?  How much does your neighbor want for the laptop?

Most games should be playable at reduced settings, but the laptop will put out massively more heat than a more modern laptop that offers the same performance.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Quizzical

How do you know it's a good deal if you don't even know what it is?  How much does your neighbor want for the laptop?

Most games should be playable at reduced settings, but the laptop will put out massively more heat than a more modern laptop that offers the same performance.

I can get it for $200 and I figured that wasn't too bad. But you are right...I guess I don't know if it's a good deal. It just seems to be a decent price to me. How reduced are you talking Quizz?

Thanks

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

The video card is basically a lower clocked version of a desktop card that my parents bought for $45 more than four years ago.  It will also lose in a competition against a lot of modern integrated graphics.  But I'd expect most games to be playable at medium settings, though I don't know about SWTOR or ESO in particular.

If you're on a tight budget and the laptop is in good working order, you could justify buying it for $200.  That's an early SSD whose write speeds will be no better than a hard drive, but the read speeds will still be great.  Don't be too surprised if the laptop dies in a year, though.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Quizzical

The video card is basically a lower clocked version of a desktop card that my parents bought for $45 more than four years ago.  It will also lose in a competition against a lot of modern integrated graphics.  But I'd expect most games to be playable at medium settings, though I don't know about SWTOR or ESO in particular.

If you're on a tight budget and the laptop is in good working order, you could justify buying it for $200.  That's an early SSD whose write speeds will be no better than a hard drive, but the read speeds will still be great.  Don't be too surprised if the laptop dies in a year, though.

Okay, thanks for your help.