Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anything on the horizon for group-heavy PvE MMO's?

AlkavenAlkaven Member Posts: 25

I drop by here once in a while -- basically asking for something like pre-abyssea FFXI.

Since FFXIV is still crazy-popular, I've come to accept that that will never happen.  Okay... Fair enough...

So instead of breaking down a big list of things I'm looking for, I'll make it as simple as this (PLEASE READ, it's seriously not that much):  

Is there any GROUP-focused / GROUP-forced PvE MMO that has been recently released or is on the way?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Few exceptions:

• No Superhero MMO's. Not even remotely interested.
  • Grouping after reaching level cap?  No.  Grouping has to be a major part of the entire game.
  • Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen - does not count.  Don't trust Brad McQuaid.
  • GROUPS being 2 to 6 (maybe even 7 or 8) people.  Not GUILDS.  (I can't believe that needs to be specified)
  • It's fine if the game has PvP, but I'm strictly talking about grouping for PvE content -- not PvP.

So... Yah.  Doesn't need to have a healer class, doesn't need to be grindy, doesn't need to be hard or challenging.  Just as long as I need to rely on other people to advance.  That's all.

Edit: So apparently I need to explain more thoroughly what I'm talking about.  First off:

NOT ARCHEAGE

I still cannot even fathom how that is considered a group-heavy mmo, since I started this thread after playing the open beta and the closed beta and summarily deciding it's not for me -- IT IS NOT A GROUP-HEAVY MMO AT ALL!.  You run around, do quests, plant trees, feed animals, etc., etc., but it's the same damn shit as any other MMO:  Solo to max level, then endgame.  I do not want soloing.  I want GROUPING.  Massive difference there!

Comments

• AlkavenAlkaven Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Archeage. Headstart this Friday. Launch on the 16th.

My post isn't even that long...  And you still refused to read it?  >_>

Edit: I fixed my original post so that it's much more clear.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Darkfall UW.  While grouping isn't forced, you are screwed without a group much of the time.

edit:  Saw your edit. PvE only.  Hmm you are out of luck.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by Alkaven

My post isn't even that long...  And you still refused to read it?  >_>

Edit: I fixed my original post so that it's much more clear.

I don't see where ArcheAge doesn't fit... unless your idea of superhero means, your character should be nothing more significant than an ant?

Pretty sure, if you are not in a group and venture out into the non-safe areas... you're going to have your ass handed to you.

My post isn't even that long...  And you still refused to read it?

I read it and answered it. ArcheAge is a group (guild to be more precise) centric game.

Holy hell.  I cannot believe I need to be that explicit.

My post isn't even that long...  And you still refused to read it?

I read it and answered it. ArcheAge is a group (guild to be more precise) centric game.

Holy hell.  I cannot believe I need to be that explicit.

Well what will you do if you are in a group of 2 and run into a group of 8?  Seems silly to specify numbers when it is unknown as to the number of opponents you will run into at any given moment.  Hell, you're own group might turn on you... wouldn't that be exciting!

Alright.  Revised my original post.

Christ! everyone should know what I mean by group-heavy.  There were other games besides WoW and Rift and SWTOR and all those other themepark MMO's.  I just can't seem to find any out there.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    The answer to your question is no, they aren't making forced grouping MMOs these days, that is a smaller niche than FFA full loot PVP.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

You know the answer OP, why do you ask us ?

Just in case you don't, the era of "group focused PVE MMOs" (meant in this combination) is over. Since sometime already. I doubt we will see such an MMO in the near future if at all again.

LOL, well ArcheAge is a PVP game... your quests may still be PVE based, but your going to have to accomplish them whilst amongst a bunch of PVPers.  In other words, the NPCs are the least of your worries... which is why you NEED a group.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Err don't need a group in AA, I solo'd to 50 in Alpha, just incorporate steath and witchcraft into your build and you can avoid or escape most attacks.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Well by eliminating ArcheAge, there are NONE.

Have fun!

• DeathageDeathage Member CommonPosts: 146

Have you tried Archeage? 

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Not that I'm aware of in terms of recent or soon-to-be titles.

The only thing that comes close to absolutely FORCING you to group is Final Fantasy XIV (though you've expressed discontent with such).  You can't get past the storyline starting at level 15 if you don't have three other people -- but that is kind've negated by the group finder system they have.  In addition, pretty much everything is locked behind group-based "attunements" in that game, namely the storyline being the first big block before letting you have access to 80% of the content (and it requiring 4-8 groups at 16,17,18,20,22,24, 28,32,35,38,42,45,48,49,50(x5) in addition to all of the group content they released with the patches (and additional storyline).

Sorry to be among the bearers of bad news in that regard.  Most companies are afraid to making it a requirement to be in a group for the entire game.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

i would say try wildstar

you can solo it to the cap, but grouping since lev 1 means you are leveling faster, doing e.g. challenges easier and have more fun

not to mention dungeons and adventures which are quite hard and forcing good group play

• JayzaJayza Member UncommonPosts: 16

Your looking for what I'm looking for in a game, I have had no luck since pre-abby FFXI.

I really hope one day someone will make a game for people like us to enjoy.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Originally posted by Jayza

Your looking for what I'm looking for in a game, I have had no luck since pre-abby FFXI.

I really hope one day someone will make a game for people like us to enjoy.

Same here. Havent touched an MMO in 1/2 a year. I want tough group oriented content, crafting, and social. Something that is unforgiving and takes commitment and skill.

• ClywdClywd Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Op, I am in the same boat, too. Sticking with everquest 1 for the moment, until I have the time to create my own mmorpg (that would be a blatant copy of original eq :-) ).

Currently playing: EverQuest
    Waiting for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• grindingamergrindingamer Member Posts: 65

most FF fans play atlantica. it gives you the perfect balance of everything you are looking for in a game. Group dungeons (Nation dungeons require 60 + players) + a really good crafting system, control 9 characters at a time!

http://atlantica.nexon.net