Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Archeage server queues are a sign

Comments

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358

So few servers for the launch of a free to play game shows even they think the interest will die down even from free players quick enough.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

It just over hype , when the hype go down and people see it not the game they search for , they will leave .

IMO , the early levels of quest hub are bad for this kind of game .

Also the pace are fast .

This game's developers (Korean) should learn from older F2P Korea PVP focus games like Shaiya ( but not P2W part) .

Sadly , they don't .

Though the game pretty success IMO.  I'm sure they make a lots  from alpha/beta packs + stater pack.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by ClippersNBA

A sign of how desperate people have been for a real open world MMORPG instead of all of these terrible casual lobby multiplayer adventure games we've been having to deal with.

Archaeage may not be perfect, and I don't like Asian themed MMOs, but it's way better than the other crap out there.

Hopefully developers start to wake up.

Its awsome when I see people write that in a world where 10 years later, WoW still has 7 million subs, and 3 years after release SWTOR still has over a million players.

Lets see where Archage is in the west 3 years down the road.

In case you don't remember, FFXIV ARR had WAY bigger server/queue issues at its launch, and that was only a year ago.

You people are like the folks who see jesus in a piece of toast.

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487

A sign of how desperate people have been for a real open world MMORPG instead of all of these terrible casual lobby multiplayer adventure games we've been having to deal with.

Archaeage may not be perfect, and I don't like Asian themed MMOs, but it's way better than the other crap out there.

^ this.

The game is far from perfect.  Hell I spent $99 on it to sit in 2 hour queues and that just blows.  But I will say that once I am in the game, it's the best experience I have had in years. 

Funny part about it is that when you read people's posts on here you will see things like, "my friend finished this game in 40 hours, said he seen everything...", and I just say to myself "really??".  You can probably run through the quest line in 40 hours if you don't read any of the quests and just rush through the line.  However, the questline in this game really onlt serves to introduce you to the mechanics and features of the game, once you finish the questline its up to the player to make a name for themselves in the game (pirate, merc, do gooder, farmer, trader, etc).

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by doodphace

In case you don't remember, FFXIV ARR had WAY bigger server/queue issues at its launch, and that was only a year ago.

I am not really sure using a game that was so bad it needed to be completely redone and re-released (Suckering people twice) in a second bad way that is currently having population issues, may not be the best thing to do to back your point.

Thus making you, the one like the folks who see jesus in a piece of toast.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Ummm...w* had ques when it launched...nuff said
  • Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by Spankster77

^ this.

The game is far from perfect.  Hell I spent $99 on it to sit in 2 hour queues and that just blows.  But I will say that once I am in the game, it's the best experience I have had in years. 

Funny part about it is that when you read people's posts on here you will see things like, "my friend finished this game in 40 hours, said he seen everything...", and I just say to myself "really??".  You can probably run through the quest line in 40 hours if you don't read any of the quests and just rush through the line.  However, the questline in this game really onlt serves to introduce you to the mechanics and features of the game, once you finish the questline its up to the player to make a name for themselves in the game (pirate, merc, do gooder, farmer, trader, etc).

This kind of comment keeps me, and I would argue others, away for now. I'd like to ask if it's worth it, but I don't think spending my time in a Q is worth it, considering the limited time I have to game. That said, as things die down (maybe/hopefully) those players will be replaced by newbies until we've all had a go. Seems allegorical to passing a good bottle around; I hope it gives the same buzz (metaphorically speaking).

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Give it 3-4 weeks and we talk again, this pretty much means nothing beyond Trion sucking at organizing a MMO launch.

ArcheAge is definitely not the golden goose you make it out to be.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by JJ82

I am not really sure using a game that was so bad it needed to be completely redone and re-released (Suckering people twice) in a second bad way that is currently having population issues, may not be the best thing to do to back your point.

Thus making you, the one like the folks who see jesus in a piece of toast.

Fine, lets ignore the fact that FFXIV AAR had bigger queues and wait times than Archage...

How about Wildstar's days with hours long queues when it launched a few months ago?

/sigh.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I've been playing mmos since Everquest, so I've been around the genre for over twenty years since literally 1998. 

Do not listen to those who started with WoW or other themeparks, this game is the real deal bottom line. Is it perfect? No not at all but is it better than the railroady quest grinders out there? Absolutely

You can always tell a themeparker by the one phrase they tend to use

"Endgame"

Endgame is a term coined by those who never understood the point of mmorpgs. Like pen and paper games you cannot BEAT an mmorpg. To hit max level in any game with levels in the old days simply meant that it was time to.

Learn more craftings skills

Mentor new players

Build up your guild and its new members by things like twinking

And pvp

ArcheAge brings back alot of old school elements hands down, It makes "endgame" mean nothing because even if you reached level 50 you still have more than enough to do. All reaching level fifty means is that its time to start building your kingdom and building up members of your guild.

Those who have a solost player mentality will never get this.

And bottom line the game is a WORLD, not a series of paths and instanced housing that influences nothing. What is the point of the game? To live. And if you are an anime fan who has ever watched the series Log Horizon (specifically) and you don't get this game you should slap yourself in the mouth three times.

Get a clue themeparkers, endgame used by those who don't know what rpg in mmo-rpg means.

I would go into ArcheAge's meta game - making treaties, building aliances, etc with other guilds which also plays a part in the game.

But I know the soloist non roleplayer that frequents mmoRPGS of this day would not have any clue what I mean.

Go ahead and treat the game like an A-Z themepark

You CANNOT approach this game like you are playing WoW, 

You have to think of it like you are playing a real time strategy game, or understanding something like Game of Thrones or a game of Risk!

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• sn072856sn072856 Member UncommonPosts: 56

The queues ARE getting smaller.  I played beta and enjoyed it... having been burned too many times I refuse to ever waste my time and money and sign up for anything remotely related to early access so I didn't...

Tuesday... I got interrupted by real life and logged in 5 minutes after the game went live....   4000+ in the queue...  by the time I got in all the land was gone already. (at least anywhere my low level character was willing to go....)

but Thursday the queue was down to 1600...

last night  -   52

this morning  - high capacity but no queue... 

The queues are going down..  I'm not making any guesses why ... its the same game it was last Tuesday...

I suspect there are a number of contributing factors...

but the queues are getting smaller on the North American servers.

As many other people have already said.  in a month queues won't be an issue... 

(and hopefully I can get some land.....)

I have a life, its just different from yours.....

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Its awsome when I see people write that in a world where 10 years later, WoW still has 7 million subs, and 3 years after release SWTOR still has over a million players.

Lets see where Archage is in the west 3 years down the road.

3 years??????

I give it 3 months.

It will be just another MMO in the list of "Also rans" with it's little Niche and P2W crowds.

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Played it 10 minutes, logged of, deinstalled. I cant stand this grafics, this style, the lore,these sounds. I just dont like asian themed games...

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

I take it as a sign of poor leadership and project management who didn't use the tools available to them to get an accurate estimate of expected players even when the headstart had server queues before official launch. 

Edit:

Spelling

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Varex12

You do realize that nearly every single AAA themepark released in the last few years has had long server queues as well, right? 

Meaning ... what? If once was normal car broke every week at least once and you walked home ... should stay like that for ever?

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

I can agree with you OP.  for myself AA is still to themeparky for me but just the fact that its trying to do something different from the typical wow clone is drawing a ton of people to it. hopefully this is the start of things changing in the MMO genre.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

WHat? Thats totally nonsense.

SWTOR also had major queues, and so did GW2,,,oh my,,, GW2,,,,,

Really? Played both since day 1 and NEVER EVER nightmare like here happened. 

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Character creation is really good imo. Actually very very good. The starting area is a little too generic for me. I'm only lvl 6 though we'll see if it gets better.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    I've never had a Que in any other game longer than a few minutes. Thursday in aa for me was 2 hours. Yesterday was 13 minutes.
  • xxtriadxxxxtriadxx Member UncommonPosts: 155

Pretty much every "anticipated" mmo has had queues in the past 20 years ..its a sign of nothing but being new.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by xxtriadxx

Pretty much every "anticipated" mmo has had queues in the past 20 years ..its a sign of nothing but being new.

Or a sign of burning out fast?

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    I've never had a Que in any other game longer than a few minutes. Thursday in aa for me was 2 hours. Yesterday was 13 minutes.

Cool!  You are on of the luckier ones.

I deliberately choose the newest one though
    Mind you i also am playing free right now. Just checking it out.
  • Gregor999Gregor999 Member Posts: 86

I can't stand ArcheAge and it's silly identity crisis. It's like the Diet Coke of sandboxes.

That said I wholeheartedly agree with your post.