Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pathfinder Online: Alpha Stress Test Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Open, Explorer, Early and Alpha access patrons (and anyone who already has an alpha invite) for Pathfinder Online will get a chance to see the game first hand thanks to the just-announced alpha stress test that is supposed to take place on Monday, September 22nd.

Following this update we are going to open the game (but NOT the forums - see below) to all players that have Open, Explorer, Early and Alpha access (and of course all the people who have received Alpha invites will continue to have access).  Our plan is to open the system to these new players on Monday September 22nd.

We need to test the system under the kinds of loads that we'll experience when Early Enrollment begins, but we also want to avoid a situation where 7,000+ people all try to log in at the same moment.

We will send an email via our MailChimp mailing system with details on how to access the Alpha Stress Test to all Open, Explorer and Early Enrollment accounts when the server has been updated and those accounts are able to log in. These emails come from [email protected] so please make sure that address is whitelisted in your email system.

Read the full notice on the Pathfinder Online site that also includes news about the forum issues players have been experiencing lately, changes to ranged combat, PvP in alpha and more.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988

Despite some good ideas on paper, they insist on forcing out a badly incomplete game and charging a sub starting next week.  Just think about that...

Combat is totally broken, so instead of taking time to redesign and fix the issues, they are making any ranged (archery, magic) skill ROOT the caster/archer.  I cannot wait for people to actually see this implemented in the live game because they have announced they will not test it first.

This should be fun.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Despite some good ideas on paper, they insist on forcing out a badly incomplete game and charging a sub starting next week.  Just think about that...

Combat is totally broken, so instead of taking time to redesign and fix the issues, they are making any ranged (archery, magic) skill ROOT the caster/archer.  I cannot wait for people to actually see this implemented in the live game because they have announced they will not test it first.

This should be fun.

I haven't followed this game at all so I went over to the site and about every other line of text had the word 'alpha' in it.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

, they are making any ranged (archery, magic) skill ROOT the caster/archer.  I cannot wait for people to actually see this implemented in the live game because they have announced they will not test it first.

I guess it`s a personal taste thing but I actually prefer it this way.  I imagine mages concentrating on casting their spells and archers having to load and aim their bows. I really dislike games that let you cast or shoot a bow while you`re jumping around like some kind of monkey on crack.

• MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Exactly how the hell you suppose to aim while jumping around yourself ?  Go outside and try and shoot a bow while running full speed and jumping.
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Not rooting makes combat more floaty and balancing difficult
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    So looking forward to this.
  • DeathtognomesDeathtognomes Member UncommonPosts: 155
    PVP players will hate the root feature. I hope it will stop PVP players from exploiting the Z-axis cheat, aka jumping around.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by iridescence

, they are making any ranged (archery, magic) skill ROOT the caster/archer.  I cannot wait for people to actually see this implemented in the live game because they have announced they will not test it first.

I guess it`s a personal taste thing but I actually prefer it this way.  I imagine mages concentrating on casting their spells and archers having to load and aim their bows. I really dislike games that let you cast or shoot a bow while you`re jumping around like some kind of monkey on crack.

I agree.

But if you can't cancel your shot or cast by starting to move there's a problem. In most 'skill lock' games this is the major annoyance. Don't know if this is the case in PFO.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by deniter
    Originally posted by iridescence

I agree.

But if you can't cancel your shot or cast by starting to move there's a problem. In most 'skill lock' games this is the major annoyance. Don't know if this is the case in PFO.

I think it depends on the action.

I completely 100% agree with his point. However, if it's some sort of skill that is not requiring the body to make an extreme move (say, like swinging a huge sword or hunkering down and bracing yourself with a huge gun) then yeah, allowing the character to make another decision to abort makes sense.

But if it's some sort of move that involves the above or is a "charge" or some such thing I believe that letting that decision stand and committing the player to that decision is the way it should be.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • jaybird50jaybird50 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by Markn
    Exactly how the hell you suppose to aim while jumping around yourself ?  Go outside and try and shoot a bow while running full speed and jumping.

This is how you do it.

pretty amazing.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    I play table top Pathfinder every two weeks. Not much running around while firing off spells and arrows in that.
  • wheelman73wheelman73 Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by Jyiiga
    I play table top Pathfinder every two weeks. Not much running around while firing off spells and arrows in that.

Exactly this!  PFO is ment to be a tabletop game in MMO form.  The way the tabletop plays is the way the MMO will play. 

Games played:Warhammer, Atlantica, Vanguard, Tabula Rasa, Guild Wars, DDO, City of Heroes/Villians, Aion, and Global Agenda...
    Games playing: Age of Conan & EVE
    Games waiting for: SWTOR