Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'Nobody gains from console exclusivity,' says Sony's dev relations boss

LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

I found an interesting article on Gamasutra- makes me wonder if CCP made the right decision with Dust 514. 

'Nobody gains from console exclusivity,' says Sony's dev relations boss" 

Sony Computer Entertainment America's Adam Boyes.

In a candid keynote address at IndieCade's professional conference today, Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) VP of publisher and developer relations Adam Boyes acknowledged that though console exclusivity might drive console sales, it wasn't fundamentally productive to either console makers or developers.

"Right now exclusives are just a way for [console makers] to brag louder," said Boyes. "Nobody gains from exclusivity in perpetuity."

Boyes likened console manufacturers to car dealerships, wherein independent developers served as high-end car mechanics capable of fine-tuning the machine's performance and bringing "real innovation" to the platform. Nevertheless, he did not see long-term exclusivity as fitting in with that analogy.

"Developers now have the option to deliver on a huge number of platforms," said Boyes. "We want developers to be successful." And that, he said, leads almost inevitably to multiplatform publishing.

Source: 

Comments

• Originally posted by Lateris

I found an interesting article on Gamasutra- makes me wonder if CCP made the right decision with Dust 514. 

'Nobody gains from console exclusivity,' says Sony's dev relations boss" 

Sony Computer Entertainment America's Adam Boyes.

In a candid keynote address at IndieCade's professional conference today, Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) VP of publisher and developer relations Adam Boyes acknowledged that though console exclusivity might drive console sales, it wasn't fundamentally productive to either console makers or developers.

"Right now exclusives are just a way for [console makers] to brag louder," said Boyes. "Nobody gains from exclusivity in perpetuity."

Boyes likened console manufacturers to car dealerships, wherein independent developers served as high-end car mechanics capable of fine-tuning the machine's performance and bringing "real innovation" to the platform. Nevertheless, he did not see long-term exclusivity as fitting in with that analogy.

"Developers now have the option to deliver on a huge number of platforms," said Boyes. "We want developers to be successful." And that, he said, leads almost inevitably to multiplatform publishing.

Source: 

It is true that exclusives make sales of console, i would not have a console if every console game was out on PC prob, but i really do like the feel of a controller and console and collecting physical game snot just digital the way pc is going.

But one thing i prefer over consoles much more than pc is optimization, this is why i think console exclusives are mostly so freaking awesome, the amount of pc games ive bought in 2013 that have issues and bugs that make it unplayable at times is insane, console devs really do only have to focus on 1 set of hardware to squeeze all the power and make it stable at a consistent fps.

I would have loved dust to be on PC, but the fact they brought it onto the deadstation 3 and have no plans for next gen is absurd, i mean a next gen game to last 10 years on a 7 year old last gen console that people are moving away from? can i pleas get the doctors ER report for the head of CCP as he was clearly hit in the head with something very big and heavy... AGAIN.

Some exclusives that im super looking forward to are

Order 1886

Destiny

The Division (now on pc prob after console launch due to demand)

drive club

final fantasy 15

second son

uncharted 4

Again i find using  controller a LOT more fun than mouse and keyboard and you can relax with it, it may at times not be as accurate in FPS games, but in any other game its imo superior and in a way in FPS games more realistic, the lag a controller causes in terms of response is more that if real life, you cant do an instant 180 or 360 irl and shoot with super accuracy at a sniper in a window, so i like the feeling of realism and VIBRATION Oooo.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    No matter if he admit this, they won't stop doing it.
  • seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

The thing is that consoles are not worth it anymore. They put so much money in trying to make something that none can copy that they forget to include proper parts in them. By the time it hits the market PC's have parts way more powerfull and people are not stupid anymore about it. So sure they will buy them but not at the expense of there PC.

** My PC as better parts then those next gen consoles and it cost me the same price.**

So what we see now is people that buy the consoles just for the sake of having the new gadget out, and because they are fans but again they put more money in there PC and buy way more games for it then for there consoles. Also everyone knows if you wait a few weeks or even 1 to 2 months after a console game is release you will get it at Walmart for like 10$ or 20$ or even at ebgames or online for that price or even cheaper because in today market you can buy then exchange or trade in for something else. If you want to push this even further you buy it on PC at rebate or even at regular price but updates or even faster and you can even complain faster if anything is wrong with the game like bugs ,etc. and get faster response by the devs.

So in the end why buy consoles or even consoles games?  I still have my xbox 360, no next gen consoles and i still have the latest games that comes out. If not on PC now i just wait till it comes out on it. No need to stress at all and i will even get it cheaperand at a way more good quality ( graphic wise ).

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    That's really rich coming from Sony. None of their first party games are on other platforms. At least you get an Xbox exclusive on PC once in a while but nothing from Sony.

• cyberpunkhobocyberpunkhobo Member UncommonPosts: 71
    You have to consider Boyes' quote in context. He's speaking to indie developers at a festival that celebrates indie games. Of course he's going to trumpet the virtues of multi-platform publishing. He's trying to attract developers to his company's platform.

While the PlayStation does have greater indie game coverage than the XBox, it still pales in comparison to what's available on the PC side. Boyes' address is simply an indication of Sony's desire to have more of the indie pie. It's hard not to suspect he's just pandering. I can't imagine a console hardware manufacturer honestly denying the benefits of exclusivity.
  • EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    Oh so how I should read this is " exclusive games suck unless they are exclusive to our platform"
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by cyberpunkhobo
    You have to consider Boyes' quote in context. He's speaking to indie developers at a festival that celebrates indie games. Of course he's going to trumpet the virtues of multi-platform publishing. He's trying to attract developers to his company's platform.

While the PlayStation does have greater indie game coverage than the XBox, it still pales in comparison to what's available on the PC side. Boyes' address is simply an indication of Sony's desire to have more of the indie pie. It's hard not to suspect he's just pandering. I can't imagine a console hardware manufacturer honestly denying the benefits of exclusivity.

Great point, his crowd probably determined his words.  I wonder if he would say this at E3 or some other big gaming show.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by cyberpunkhobo

This --^

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    So if they think that way how come Destiny was not made for PCs?

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by mayito7777

Make a multiplatform game and then get back to us with your thoughts on why. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    bloodborne please. kthxbai
  • mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Are you a game designer? A computer programmer or you just open your mouth to insult other players?

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• WillowFuxxyWillowFuxxy Member Posts: 406

There appears to be a bit of a misunderstanding about controllers.

consoler controllers are not tethered to the console you can use a controller on a PC guys

• CoNk3rCoNk3r Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Edli
    That's really rich coming from Sony. None of their first party games are on other platforms. At least you get an Xbox exclusive on PC once in a while but nothing from Sony.

Ask Yerli (Crytek) what his point of view is on this topic...... going pc exclusive (Crysis 2) nearly cost them their livelihood. Can´t wait to see/hear what he has to say once Ryse launches....

Originally posted by mayito7777

Because 90% of the revenue comes from console versions/games, no need for a pc version (as of yet).

This discussion has been closed.