Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rogue help

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I created a Rogue, It's not my first time around because it's my favorite.  My questions are possibly nostalgic because I'm sure the talent tree had changed quite a bit.......Anyway here goes :

For years I've been hearing that your a nothing if your not playing a Sward Rogue.  Sward Rogues do the most damage, and I'm sure they do.

But the way I see it after reading countless web sites, Sward Rogues just seem soooo boring.  Please help me understand.  If you have a sward in your main hand, you loose MOST ALL your mid fight abilities that comes Gouge such as Backstab, Ambush and a few others.  Backstab, and Ambush must have a dagger in your main hand.  If you have a sword in your main hand, Gouge and all it's purpose are worthless.

Now, I could understand in a group environment, Gouge is worthless anyway by trying to stun and setup for a back stab wouldn't work because others are attacking the same target popping it out of stun.  But in lower, mid game and even end game you would be playing solo more often than group, at least playing the old school way.

Gouge and all it's Backstabs and Ambush are of great value is solo play, especially if a monster gets the jump on you, you can stun and ambush to gain back what you had lost.............This is all worthless If your a Sword Rogue.

Now, It seems that if playing an effective Sword Rogue, you would have no choice ( forced )  to go VERY deep into the Combat Talent tree to get sword specialization and dual weld specialization, and have to ignore all other trees......Well, there are some much needed abilities if other trees.  Such as Improved Eviscerate, Ruthlessness, and Relentless strikes to give more energy and combo points. 

The fun PvP abilities are in the Subtlety tree.....How can you ignore Master of Deception for deeper stealth, Camouflage to move faster, and Improved sap ?

With being " a good player " by being a Sword Rogue, it seems that you have to drop everything that makes you a REAL rogue, just to put out major sward damage.....To me this is boring....Why be a Rogue if you cant play one ?

I guess I'm asking an old school question.

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

It seems that the Rogue class is the most complicated for Talents.

I say that, because :

1) Playing a hybrid class such as Druid, Shaman, or Paladin the talent trees are more black and white, such as healing, dps or tank.

2) Playing a caster class like a Warlock or Mage are more black and white. Pet, DOT, or just raw power, or arcane and ice.

Other classes have easer decisions.....But with a Rogue, you seem to need / want  it all !

• DanbaccaDanbacca Member UncommonPosts: 247

I'll assume you're playing on a private server, seeing as WoW doesn't have the talents you speak of anymore.

The server you're playing on should have a forum to answer your questions.

I played an assassination rogue in 3.3.5a (that's daggers) and lead dps charts on a regular basis. Look up an old mutilate spec.

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482