Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] ArcheAge: Review in Progress

1235»

Comments

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313
    Originally posted by Dillig

I find it classic that all the safe zone land got snatched up. Where are all the hard core PvPer's that always say we want a open pvp world and when they get the choice to have land in danger areas they choose the safe zones.

LoL classic I say.

pvpers in an MMO genre want to gank, and gank unfairly.

If they wanted fair pvp, they would be playing fighting games and/or FPS games.

This is a sad fact of life.

Note:  For the record, I love fighting games more than any other genre.  I am disappointed that most MMORPG pvpers, however, don't *really* want pvp in any meaningful sense.  They want to grind for gear and gank their opponents with their superior gear.

• thinkongthinkong Member CommonPosts: 1

Really hope archeage can live up to the hype that it is seeming to receive..

It was ruined in Korea. Too hyped.. but it just became an ordinary MMORPG.. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by thinkong

Really hope archeage can live up to the hype that it is seeming to receive..

It was ruined in Korea. Too hyped.. but it just became an ordinary MMORPG.. 

When has anything lived up to "hype"? Hype is marketing... It's entire purpose is to inflate a products worth.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Originally posted by Mitara
    My group managed to get 22 lots and now we are making a lot of money on selling those. I like this game !

This is what it is all about . Freedom to hoard and make money and this is exactly what sandbox games do they put the player in the driver seat. Much as I personally would not like a person who does this it also points to complete freedom for anarchy.

These types of systems are not meant for the faint of heart or those who talk about being fair and what I'm owed. Sorry Buster you are not owed anything just because you bought a founder's pack. Should have taken leave stayed at home played like mad if you wanted a house in the safe zone.

Kudos Archeage.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by nennafir

I find it classic that all the safe zone land got snatched up. Where are all the hard core PvPer's that always say we want a open pvp world and when they get the choice to have land in danger areas they choose the safe zones.

LoL classic I say.

Note:  For the record, I love fighting games more than any other genre.  I am disappointed that most MMORPG pvpers, however, don't *really* want pvp in any meaningful sense.  They want to grind for gear and gank their opponents with their superior gear.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight....you are doing it wrong. - EVE mantra

You want to play "games", those other folks want to fight a war.  In a game you make sure everyone has the same gear, same number of players, same rules. 

In a "war" you make sure you have better gear if possible, overwhelming numbers, stack the rules in your favor (gank your opponent) and if there isn't a strong possibility that you are going to win the battle, it is better to withdraw and come back another day when the odds are going your way.

MMORPG's have traditionally rewarded players for putting in "time", to earn the money / gear / levels / abilities necessary to beat their opponents, it's what they are all about at their core, sort of an equalizer.

BTW, I find the type of PVP you enjoy meaningless, you fight for nothing but "fun", what's the point of that?  I fight to defend my territory, deny you access to resources, and loot your dead corpse if possible.  No other reason to PVP in my view.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

"pvpers in an MMO genre want to gank, and gank unfairly."

Yep. When in open world I run into a single char from the other faction we usually leave each other alone.

If he starts a fight I know with 99.99% certainty that either a) 2 to 5 friends of his are just around the corner, ready to jump in, or b) this dude is decked out in high-end PvP gear, making him hit me for 5k, while I pet him for 50. On good days, it's both a) and b).

I'm not really whining, just stating a fact.

• CallidorCallidor Member Posts: 371
    Originally posted by kitarad
    My group managed to get 22 lots and now we are making a lot of money on selling those. I like this game !

This is what it is all about . Freedom to hoard and make money and this is exactly what sandbox games do they put the player in the driver seat. Much as I personally would not like a person who does this it also points to complete freedom for anarchy.

These types of systems are not meant for the faint of heart or those who talk about being fair and what I'm owed. Sorry Buster you are not owed anything just because you bought a founder's pack. Should have taken leave stayed at home played like mad if you wanted a house in the safe zone.

Kudos Archeage.

Kudos for what? Theres no grit, no guts. People didnt get land with some sort of polished skill they honed. All they did was get lucky enough not to disconnect during the land rush, that was it simple, dumb luck.

Im so tired of this "Its a manly man's game" attitude. Everyone of these posts is just one of you guys who got what they wanted thumbing their nose at those who didnt.

Just quit it, its childish.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Callidor
    Originally posted by kitarad

Kudos Archeage.

Kudos for what? Theres no grit, no guts. People didnt get land with some sort of polished skill they honed. All they did was get lucky enough not to disconnect during the land rush, that was it simple, dumb luck.

Im so tired of this "Its a manly man's game" attitude. Everyone of these posts is just one of you guys who got what they wanted thumbing their nose at those who didnt.

Just quit it, its childish.

Agreed.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Another MMO launch with teething problems. I'm not surprised, why are you all raging? Should have kept your distance for a few days/weeks, put up or shut up basically.
  • xxizazelxxxxizazelxx Member UncommonPosts: 3

Sounds to me like the Patrons got fed a heaping helping of Karma lol

After suffering the beta, I finally find something amusing coming out of AA lol

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Callidor
    Originally posted by Hytek

The amount of false information and weak loser attitude present in this thread is just appalling. Gilda Stars in the cash shop? No. Player-killer rewards and trolls going unpunished? No. All claimable land being gone in 2 hours? No.

First off, yes, the land rush was terrible but despite getting kicked from the game to begin with and sitting in queue for 1.5 hours once and later for another 30mins I still made it to four pieces of property. Why four, you may ask? Well, two character slots are available per server (you may buy additional slots up to a max of four per server, but only six across all servers) and there was PLENTY of land to go around. Sure, the safe zone land went fairly quick but SEVEN HOURS(!!!) after my English EU server came up on Friday, there were still a few plots open in safe zones. Even last night (Sunday) people in my guild who missed Friday's land rush were placing property (in contested zones, but still on their own faction's island).

A lot of people were stuck on a single-item pickup quest on the Firran faction side. Not because it was broken but because a LOT of other people were also trying to grab that single quest item that everyone needed. Guess what? With a little effort it didn't take any longer than 10-15 minutes to get it so stop blaming everyone else for your inability to progress.

The cash shop is in no way p2w. So you can but labor potions but they're on a 12h timer across all characters on your account. Not at all disturbing in any way.

Suck it up and stop blaming everyone else for your own failures.

You are mistaken sir, I put up with more than 10 hours in queue, waited patiently at my computer for the 6 hours on saturday morning. The remaining time that I did play I spent searching intensely over ever square inch of the first 4 zones. For hours and hours and hours I walked with the red scarecrow out praying I would find a legitimate spot for my farm. Unfortunately I did not. Further more I fell far enough behind that I could no longer group or quest with my guildmates. 

I spent another 3 hours in line for customer support for a refund, all things said I think my patience shows a measure of strength and I am insulted at your insinuation as to otherwise.

Regardless, clearly you are a fan of AA, and I hope you enjoy it.

If your guild/guildmates wasn't coordinating the landgrab effort or helping guild members grab land AS A GROUP than it is really the fault of the guild in general.

Founders players have significant amount of alpha/beta time to figure this plan out already. It shouldn't matter if YOU disconnect had your guild's effort been coordinated - your guildie/friend would've grab extra and held it for you, or there would've been guild farms and such so that your own personal land doesn't matter. The fact that you can feel "leave behind" by your guildmates already indicates that they were not helpful at all and only out for themselves.

That land wasn't all gone within the first 2 hours btw - there was still a lot of land available at 4 hours in and that was on Ollo server (one of the two highest pop ones)

Large farm areas wasn't even all filled up well into late sunday.

• SuperchieftianSuperchieftian Member Posts: 88

It does not look well for this cash grab.

I will say I am shocked at some feedback though. Bad performance causing issues with the player base at launch? People should always expect that. 

• SimplylaxSimplylax Member Posts: 1
    Worst launch ever. Unless you pay you cannot play with 1 hr plus ques for a game that just isn't very good. Dont waste your money on this rerun game with never ending ques and mobs over farmed. boring boring boring. Come on Trion que up a couple servers or im investing nothing into this garbage.  I cant remember a worse launch in recent years of a game with so much hype. if you don t want my money keep doing it the way you have and I promise i wont spend another dime with Trion. terrible job guys.
  • hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430

All the other labor point nonsense aside, this launch has been brutal for trion. Patron status not showing up for people, giant queues, constant DCs, issues with claiming land, 10% marketplace discount not in game yet but no one told. Factor in the grap about lp and lp pots and you have a real stinker in the making.

Its a successful eastern game, but I think its going to be a niche game here. 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by BadSpock

So all the labor point / housing / PvP whatever aspects aside...

Is the game worth looking into for the PvE, leveling, classes, instances, dungeons, raids, etc.?

um.

I really enjoy the classes and and even spent an entire evening researching and trying out different class builds.

Since you can gain xp for a variety of things, the leveling can be rather engaging if you "do a variety of things".

if you are in it for the engaging quests then I have to say that they are very much "go here kill/collect" x things sort of affair.

What I like about the quests is that you do get people grouping up more. Especially for some of the larger things.

The only "dungeon" I've done was very challenging for three people and we had to play smarter in order to complete it.

However, if you just want to "quest" and you hate "kill x" quests then you might be disappointed.

Is the XP gain comparable for say monster kills and crafting gathers etc. as it is to quests? To me that is always a good sign of a good sandboxy game - the ability to do whatever and still progress, like Skyrim for example. 

UO was that way, but that was before quests become the thing to do. FFXI was pretty close too.

On the other hand, games like EvE, SWG, really failed in that regard tying everything to mission grinding.

Good question.

I hate crafting so I can't tell you. I've "heard" that people have leveled at a reasonable rate for gathering and crafting.

Yesterday I tried an experiment.  After watching a crafting leveling video I gave it a shot.  I bought 100 units of raw stone off the auction house for 8 gold.  I bought blue salt wadges for 1 gold, bought about 12 and had some left over after crafting.  I bought a double crafting xp pot.  After refining and crafting I had went from level 18 to 19.  Time spent buying and crafting about half an hour.  It does work and you could make money and level if you knew where the good mining spots are and they are not full of other minors.  

So yes I could level doing crafting but just gathering mining would probably take a really long time and questing would be faster as they nerfed crafting with LPs. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by hayes303

All the other labor point nonsense aside, this launch has been brutal for trion. Patron status not showing up for people, giant queues, constant DCs, issues with claiming land, 10% marketplace discount not in game yet but no one told. Factor in the grap about lp and lp pots and you have a real stinker in the making.

Its a successful eastern game, but I think its going to be a niche game here. 

It wasn't successful in the east too from what I've heard and seen from tons of different sources.

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by nennafir

LoL classic I say.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight....you are doing it wrong. - EVE mantra

You want to play "games", those other folks want to fight a war.  In a game you make sure everyone has the same gear, same number of players, same rules. 

In a "war" you make sure you have better gear if possible, overwhelming numbers, stack the rules in your favor (gank your opponent) and if there isn't a strong possibility that you are going to win the battle, it is better to withdraw and come back another day when the odds are going your way.

MMORPG's have traditionally rewarded players for putting in "time", to earn the money / gear / levels / abilities necessary to beat their opponents, it's what they are all about at their core, sort of an equalizer.

BTW, I find the type of PVP you enjoy meaningless, you fight for nothing but "fun", what's the point of that?  I fight to defend my territory, deny you access to resources, and loot your dead corpse if possible.  No other reason to PVP in my view.

Well done.  I couldn't have made a caricature of this type of poster better if I had tried...and yet someone kindly did the work for me.

Yes, if actual lives were at stake we would want to win as cheaply as possible.  Fortunately, this is a game and SOME of us (those who have actual skills) want a challenge...