Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Are eSports Sports?

13»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Shana77

As long as Chess is still considered a sport then yes. 

I was thinking the same about the game "Hungry Hippos", takes hand eye coordination, quick reflexes to win, so it qualifies if online games do.

So no, I don't consider them to be "sports", even if there is a highly competitive nature to them.

But I don't get to make the rules either..... 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• socalsk8trsocalsk8tr Member Posts: 65

honestly to me no not at all even in the slightest bit (even comparing it to chess) you can name a ton of games that have similar traits that make people successful at them that doesn't mean they will be. Games like this aren't a sport of any kind *if they get full on vr going and the person has to run back and fourth in a court or something then yea mebbe we can start calling it a sport but atm its anything but.

I'll say this loud and clear if my first statement was understood YOU ARE NOT AN ATHLETE

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

There are many officially recognised sports that I don't consider sports; cheese-rolling, zorbing, and hunting to name a few.

Keeping that in mind, then I guess esports are sports because someone, somewhere thinks so.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by jdizzle2k13

Is the spelling bee a sport?

If we can consider the spelling bee a sport then eSports are sports.

Most games that we play that are in the eSports scene, or want to be, don't require us to train our bodies damn near 24/7 to be competitive.  Now in order to reach the top 1% you probably will have to play a lot, know your character/class/weapon/etc, and maybe put many hours into the game, but I don't think that means you have to do 40 pushups 50 crunches and run a mile every day to stay in shape to be able to compete with other eAthletes (lol).

Well, traditional sports did not start out with coaches and training regimens. They were usually a bunch of guys making teams from the local bar or club and playing against others. Wagers would be made and so on. Sports didn't just materialize into thin air fully formed with regulatory associations, standards, uniforms, etc etc.

And secondly, eAtheletes absolutely do the gaming equivalent of training. Newbee who recently won the Dota2 International, practices 10 hours per day, everyday, all year - they also get paid crap and a good portion of their winnings go to their team owner.

Don't you think it's odd that in both "real" sports and esports getting into your late 20's you're considered "old" and it's time to think about retirement from competitive play? There's a reason.  Just because gaming doesn't use the same major muscles that more physical sports uses doesn't mean they aren't putting certain muscles/joints through high stress. Their hands just can't keep up the speed as they get older, and repetitive stress injuries start to kick in.

In regards to the greater question of eSports being Sports, it doesn't really matter? It's just semantics, because at the end of the day, eSports are gaining popularity as spectator entertainment - so we watch them . . . for sport.

• TolrocTolroc Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Everyone will have their own opinion on what they consider a sport or not. I would consider it a competition not a sport. I also don't consider golf, bowling, hunting, and fishing sports although other people do.
  • HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Are eBooks Books?

Id say no to that - even if giving the same experience ; )

• WillowFuxxyWillowFuxxy Member Posts: 406
    Originally posted by Tolroc
    Everyone will have their own opinion on what they consider a sport or not. I would consider it a competition not a sport. I also don't consider golf, bowling, hunting, and fishing sports although other people do.

agreed.

I agree with the CEO of ESPN..HOWEVER, there are activities on his channels that he would call sports that I would not call sports.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i guess any competition can be called a sport

from pie eating, pie baking  to setting new achievements in Guinness World records

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

There are a few sports like golf, that I would consider to be a game. On that basis I guess you could argue that E-sports could very well be a sport. It's all about public acceptance and as the world turns, traditions change.

Who knows.... maybe one day we will see LoL matches in the Olympics.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• WillowFuxxyWillowFuxxy Member Posts: 406
    Originally posted by laserit

There are a few sports like golf, that I would consider to be a game. On that basis I guess you could argue that E-sports could very well be a sport. It's all about public acceptance and as the world turns, traditions change.

Who knows.... maybe one day we will see LoL matches in the Olympics.

I think we could sum up everything this way/

'if the CEO of CSPAN is not interesting in gaming because its not a sport he might want to consider removing blowing from his channel'

• NikaasNikaas Member UncommonPosts: 135

Its all about money. The will do esport coverage 'cos there are money in it. But  they dont want put away their core audence and they say what they are expected to say.

In other words they will continue to say that computer games are not sports to make core audence happy, but at the same time cover more of it.

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

For me sports are not just game that you physically play but also it keeps your body in good shape. It gives you a very nice cardio if practice for a long time, it will make you better at that sport you practice everyday, it can also in the long run reward you with some nice money and some fame. 

But Esports is different in my opinion, it is virtual and it does not do anything good to your body at all. So it can not be the equivalent of Sports in the same sense of what sports is. Sure it gives you fame, money, etc. But it will never give you all the benefit of what real world sports gives you. ( You gain no cardio, no physical benefit at all ) And also it the long run it can shorten your life span if done in excess jsut like any other computer games.

Esports are to be taken seriously in the Electronic World but to be considered the equivalent of real life sports NO.

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357
    Of course they aren't sports.  Is this a question that even needs to be asked?
  • FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

2sport

noun

: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other

: sports in general

: a physical activity (such as hunting, fishing, running, swimming, etc.) that is done for enjoyment

Not a Sport.... The English language says so. 

I like Esports... I like to play them, and Even watch them sometimes, but not a sport by definition. 

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Originally posted by Battlerock

sport [spawrt, spohrt] Show IPA

—noun

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.
    diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry:

What he said in sport was taken seriously.

mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him..

//

At any rate it's a good question, what is the definition of a sport?

//

With hunting and fishing not all the partisipants consent and the penalty for losing is inherently uneven (if one side loses, they die; if the other side lose they go home), I don't see how they can be considered sports.

If bowling is a sport, then esports are sports.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Originally posted by FlyinDutchman87

2sport

noun

: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other

: sports in general

: a physical activity (such as hunting, fishing, running, swimming, etc.) that is done for enjoyment

Not a Sport.... The English language says so. 

I like Esports... I like to play them, and Even watch them sometimes, but not a sport by definition. 

1) The animals being hunted aren't enjoying it. I guess if hunting and fishing are sports then so is assassinations.

2) Computer games do involve physical activity, typing and moving the mouse. If walking a few feet and tossing a ball every 5 minutes counts as physical activity (as in bowling) then so should working video game controls.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

Is Formula 1 sport?

• Drunk-fuDrunk-fu Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Yes, if we consider attending MCdonalds for body building.