Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Destiny: Does Destiny Live Up to the Hype?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the most common questions I’ve been asked by friends is whether or not Destiny lives up to its hype. While it may take weeks, months or even years to truly know the answer to this question, there is no denying that Destiny has had a big impact in the gaming world. When a title recoups its entire $500 million budget on day one, it’s hard not to notice. I personally know several PC Gamers that have picked up a console just to give Destiny a spin. It’s obvious that Destiny isn’t your ordinary IP launch. Does this mean that we’ll still be talking about Destiny a year from now? Good question.

Read more of Mike Joseph's The Soapbox: Does Destiny Live Up to the Hype?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WillowFuxxyWillowFuxxy Member Posts: 406

I dont understand this game.

I mean from everything I watch and read it appears to just be basically a new version of a space shooter...

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    No - it's very unfinished from a persistent online world aka mmorpg perspective, shh don't tell bungie we know they tried to make a mmorpg and mask it as a persistent online shooter. Mmorpgs are not just about gear and progression to which even that is poorly done but it's all there is. The world is pretty empty and boring. My take has nothing to do with the fact that pvp didn't meet my expectations, my take is based on what I think the strength of Destiny is, it's pve, and unfortunately it looks like the game was rushed to the shelves.
  • TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    For me it does. I have a blast playing and I am never lacking something to do. I have actually already made a few friends in game and it really does develop a sense of community when the game requires coordination.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    No - it's very unfinished from a persistent online world aka mmorpg perspective, shh don't tell bungie we know they tried to make a mmorpg and mask it as a persistent online shooter. Mmorpgs are not just about gear and progression to which even that is poorly done but it's all there is. The world is pretty empty and boring. My take has nothing to do with the fact that pvp didn't meet my expectations, my take is based on what I think the strength of Destiny is, it's pve, and unfortunately it looks like the game was rushed to the shelves.

Tell me about "very unfinished"..... I don't see that. I think that, as the author mentions, we don't expect to get the full story when we buy into an MMORPG. I don't think that it's realistic to believe that we would. 

Myself, I do have an issue with the way that the story has been delivered so far. I'd like to see more cut scenes, back-story delivered in game, etc., etc. but I feel like the lore is pretty solid and pretty deep. 

Also, I would have loved to have seen a tighter community integration in the game. 

The next question that I'll be watching closely is how they're going to deal with community feedback. They have to know that their story is weak, so will they address that in future releases? Will they elaborate on the lore, instead of glazing over it? Will they give PvP some love? The difference with Destiny is that if they're planning on long-term success, they'll have to evolve the product or, if they don't, they'll run the risk of cutting that life very short. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by Battlerock

Tell me about "very unfinished"..... I don't see that. I think that, as the author mentions, we don't expect to get the full story when we buy into an MMORPG. I don't think that it's realistic to believe that we would. 

Myself, I do have an issue with the way that the story has been delivered so far. I'd like to see more cut scenes, back-story delivered in game, etc., etc. but I feel like the lore is pretty solid and pretty deep. 

Also, I would have loved to have seen a tighter community integration in the game. 

The next question that I'll be watching closely is how they're going to deal with community feedback. They have to know that their story is weak, so will they address that in future releases? Will they elaborate on the lore, instead of glazing over it? Will they give PvP some love? The difference with Destiny is that if they're planning on long-term success, they'll have to evolve the product or, if they don't, they'll run the risk of cutting that life very short. 

I think that is the first time I have ever read the words 'I would like to see more cut scenes'

wow...ok fair enough

Living up to hype basically means is it the best thing since sliced bread. Unfinished - the ui, the game world - you know the bosses with the ?? , they reward you with nothing for killing them, and how about boss fights with bland mechanics that are bullet sponges? How about the fact that you go back to orbit instead of just continuing to progress? How about using the same location deep in a cave as content fillers, then go back to orbit then back to the same cave. The only thing that is finished is the pvp, which I felt was a little to obnoxiouswith all the jjumping around. The game is ok, but it's not the best thing since sliced bread.
  • HardcodedHardcoded Member UncommonPosts: 97
    I never understood all the hype in the first place. All of my friends are foaming at the mouth with this game and all I can see is something that reminds me of Defiance.
    Originally posted by Hardcoded
    I never understood all the hype in the first place. All of my friends are foaming at the mouth with this game and all I can see is something that reminds me of Defiance.

reminds me of the iPhone 6 craze. I feel like I am missing something but nope just sub-standard phone is all.

same here. I keep looking and all I see is a sci fi shooter

Originally posted by WillowFuxxy

I think that is the first time I have ever read the words 'I would like to see more cut scenes'

wow...ok fair enough

LOL!!! 

Ok, ok, ok. I'll settle for something in-game. Don't be all like *bleep bleep, you've got a Grimoire, please go to bungie.net!"

Ooooooooo, here's an idea, Bungie! How about creating a companion app that allows me to read all my Grimoires on my tablet? You know, cuz let's be honest, I'm not going to stop playing so I can hop onto Bungie and read. That's ridiculous, I just killed some big massive monster and now, for some downtime I'm going to go do some light reading? Hell no! I'm gonna /dance! 

At least with games like Mass Effect, I had the in-game journal thingie. that would work too, but a companion app would be real nice. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Hardcoded

Destiny is what Defiance should have been.

It's people's own fault if they let themselves get caught up on the hype all the time. Especially when they are hyping up themselves and start inventing stuff that has never been said. Like that complete misinformation that is being spread around, saying Activision and Bungie spending $500 million on the game's Development. /shrug

Seen it time and again. SW:TOR, Tabula Rasa and Warhammer Online still very fresh into my memory.

If you keep getting caught up in it, then you never going to enjoy a single game anymore. As no game will ever meet your expectations this way.

Don't get me wrong here. I have been just as guilty and been caught in Hype time and again, but with SW:TOR (spending two times $150 bucks on CE editions) I finally learned my lesson!

I completely ignored the hype around Destiny, maybe watched a few beta videos and read an article here and there. That's it.

And because of that, I had no crazy expectations and as such enjoying the game a lot! I am having a blast! Been a long time I had that.

Just my 2 cents.

wow...ok fair enough

LOL!!! 

Ok, ok, ok. I'll settle for something in-game. Don't be all like *bleep bleep, you've got a Grimoire, please go to bungie.net!"

Ooooooooo, here's an idea, Bungie! How about creating a companion app that allows me to read all my Grimoires on my tablet? You know, cuz let's be honest, I'm not going to stop playing so I can hop onto Bungie and read. That's ridiculous, I just killed some big massive monster and now, for some downtime I'm going to go do some light reading? Hell no! I'm gonna /dance! 

At least with games like Mass Effect, I had the in-game journal thingie. that would work too, but a companion app would be real nice. 

good points. I am not playing so I am not aware of how it works.

I will say... I see opportunity in game developers creating maybe graphic novels so fans of stories to read. I am not much for stories in games but that is something I would buy.

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456

wow...ok fair enough

LOL!!! 

Umm.... there is a companion app. I have it installed on my android phone. It contans a Grimoire section.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

wow...ok fair enough

LOL!!! 

The tablet version is coming. Tho Bungie.net Works great on tablet too. Or just install the phone Version for the time being.

That you don't have an ingame journal, keeps the game install light. Destiny is only 21GB this way. Otherwise you could have added another 10-20GB on extra data to be downloaded / installed. Now they can use all that free space to add actual content, without having the hardrive filling up like crazy.

Not to mention that it increases load on CPU/RAM and increases the amount of bugs and issues.

And be honest. How many People actually spend time ingame reading lore? I never did. I usually did it after a play session when I'm done playing. Then I can just as well do it on my PC, phone or tablet.

The Destiny Companion App is fantastic! Hands down the best Companion App for a game at the moment.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Yep there is a companion app - that people are using as they play.

PvP doesn't really start until October.

And teams are currently 7.5 hours into Vault of Glass and still going. Destiny is bigger today than it was yesterday.

Originally posted by Tyggs

wow...ok fair enough

LOL!!! 

Umm.... there is a companion app. I have it installed on my android phone. It contans a Grimoire section.

Well why the hell didn't they tell me?!?!?! 

Thank you!! 

Wow, I've got to say, Bungie is EXTREMELY responsive when it comes to user feedback. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• MirathelMirathel Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Love this game, others don't. Haters gonna hate.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

I actually think the two weakest points of Destiny, which are big ones, are the community systems (non-existent) and the terribly storytelling.  

There are other issues, in my eyes, but these are the ones that keep a good game from being great.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Originally posted by BillMurphy

I actually think the two weakest points of Destiny, which are big ones, are the community systems (non-existent) and the terribly storytelling.  There are other issues, in my eyes, but these are the ones that keep a good game from being great.

The lack of community tools is par for the course with respect to console, that's the main reason I have no faith in mmorpgs on consoles.
  • DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    That was a lot of negatives turned into positives. Do console gamers really have such low expectations from games?
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

I actually think the two weakest points of Destiny, which are big ones, are the community systems (non-existent) and the terribly storytelling.  

There are other issues, in my eyes, but these are the ones that keep a good game from being great.

True, but when you have build up a friendlist, it's getting much better tho and a little less cumbersome.

Tho they can still improve it a lot.

Social Tools should be their main priority right now.

If People want text chat in The Tower, which is supposed to be a social hub. Then give it to them.

There is also no reason why you can't make use of a full 6-man Fireteam when in Exploration mode! They really need to remove that limitation.

This will greatly improve the experience and make people team up more. I mean you already running into a dozen or more other players on the map. So again, no reason for 3-man limitation on this.

The Story I agree too, that they could have put a little more effort in it and explain Things better and make a better and more Clear distinction between MAIN story and SIDE story missions.

If you Connect the MAIN story missions together (and ignore the SIDE story), then the MAIN storyline isn't as bad as people think.

That's the main reason why People think and feel it's disconnected. While it actually really isn't.

So they can make some improvements there too.

But to slam the game down to a 5 or 6 out of 10 in those reviews currently out there, is uncalled for!  Especially, when these same reviewers have given Titanfall a 9 out of 10 average earlier this year.

They pretty much lost all their credibility with this! These Destiny reviews seem heavily driven by emotion and them being caught up in the hype, creating unrealistic expectations. /shrug

Titanfall wasn't a horrible game, but to say Destiny far worse than Titanfall?  Come on now. Eventho Destiny is far from Perfect, it's a far better game than Titanfall ever will be!

Destiny definitely deserves a 7 out of 10. I think that is more than fair.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by JeroKane

wow...ok fair enough

LOL!!! 

The tablet version is coming. Tho Bungie.net Works great on tablet too. Or just install the phone Version for the time being.

That you don't have an ingame journal, keeps the game install light. Destiny is only 21GB this way. Otherwise you could have added another 10-20GB on extra data to be downloaded / installed. Now they can use all that free space to add actual content, without having the hardrive filling up like crazy.

Not to mention that it increases load on CPU/RAM and increases the amount of bugs and issues.

And be honest. How many People actually spend time ingame reading lore? I never did. I usually did it after a play session when I'm done playing. Then I can just as well do it on my PC, phone or tablet.

The Destiny Companion App is fantastic! Hands down the best Companion App for a game at the moment.

WOW! 10-21gb just for a journal.... Crazy!  Must be the biggest game ever made. Not to mention it will load my CPU... double Crazy!

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Originally posted by laserit

WOW! 10-21gb just for a journal.... Crazy!  Must be the biggest game ever made. Not to mention it will load my CPU... double Crazy!

It's not just the journal. It's all the entire lore dabase that needs to be downloaded. The extra UI code, etc.

Tho, if they can just make Grimoire accessible ingame from Bungie.net, it won't take up extra Space, as you are online anyway.

But who knows. Maybe they already have this in the pipeline.

I think this is what People completely forgetting. This is just the start. They going to treat this game as an MMO, with frequent and contineous updates.

People just think it's another console game like CoD, BF or Halo, where a couple DLC's get released and that's it. Then we wait for Version 2 and start over again. Etc.

And that is the main problem with these reviewers and how they don't understand the game at all.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by laserit

It's not just the journal. It's all the entire lore dabase that needs to be downloaded. The extra UI code, etc.

Tho, if they can just make Grimoire accessible ingame from Bungie.net, it won't take up extra Space, as you are online anyway.

But who knows. Maybe they already have this in the pipeline.

I think this is what People completely forgetting. This is just the start. They going to treat this game as an MMO, with frequent and contineous updates.

People just think it's another console game like CoD, BF or Halo, where a couple DLC's get released and that's it. Then we wait for Version 2 and start over again. Etc.

And that is the main problem with these reviewers and how they don't understand the game at all.

Insane isn't it.

These reviewer's they all need to be indoctrinated.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Again, I agree with Bill.

Unless you add someone to your fireteam (which requires a gameworld reload), you can't communicate with them in any way whatsoever. It's like running around in a Sci-Fi world where all the heroes are mute.

The storytelling is a large step backwards from what Bungie accomplished with the Halo series. Considering the instancing during missions, I'm not sure why they had to sacrifice such storytelling power. Peter Dinklage's Ghost role is nowhere near the quality of Jen Taylor's Cortana. Not sure if Pete half-assed it or wasn't really given the entire picture with which to work.

I was expecting a lot more tactical options with the powers and such, but I don't see them. Boss battles even lack any kind of staging, just 3-4 simplistic one-shot kill attack ppatterns and bullet sponging.

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Who cares? They made ALOT of money. Good job.