Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Preserve Legacy Character Names Before It's Too Late

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

World of Warcraft accounts that have not been accessed since 2008 and before will see the names reclaimed by Blizzard to free them up for other players to use. Those wishing to hold on to legacy account names will want to log into each character in order to preserve the name.

Our goal with this great name liberation is to make sure new and returning players have a large and varied pool of names available to choose from—so log in now if you wish to preserve your unused characters’ names for your journey intro Draenor.

Source: World of Warcraft Community Site

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    If you haven't logged in since 2008, I'm guessing you don't give a fuck what they do with your account.
  • natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    i agree but still good of blizz to give peeps an headsup just incase.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by newbinator
    If you haven't logged in since 2008, I'm guessing you don't give a fuck what they do with your account.

QFT

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

After i read this, i checked my battle.net account for when my WoW sub expired and found that i could activate a 10 day MoP trial.

Clicked the button, logged into the game which was still installed on my pc, logged out after checking my old chars and running some circles in Dalaran and Orgrimmar.

No matter how hard all mmorpgs in the last ten years failed, i guess there is just no way back to WoW for me.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by Volgore

After i read this, i checked my battle.net account for when my WoW sub expired and found that i could activate a 10 day MoP trial.

Clicked the button, logged into the game which was still installed on my pc, logged out after checking my old chars and running some circles in Dalaran and Orgrimmar.

No matter how hard all mmorpgs in the last ten years failed, i guess there is just no way back to WoW for me.

So, basically, you just screwed new/existing players out of potentially getting those names that you will never, ever use again?

Classy move, champ.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Kost

So, basically, you just screwed new/existing players out of potentially getting those names that you will never, ever use again?

Classy move, champ.

You are kidding right? 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I have to say, any MMO I have come back to and I had to rename my char because of crap like this, I have just walked away from for good. Dumb move IMO.
  • IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Here is the part where people who never played WoW or have no intention of ever playing again express their faux outrage at this.
  • evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131

Interesting, but im curious.. what made you quit wow back then?

• Samantha2009Samantha2009 Member Posts: 7
    The way I see it is if you have not logged in for 6 years you probably are not going to. I have had a guild on WoW since 2008 and I am pretty sure that anyone who plans on coming back to the game already has. I have had to take an extended break from it myself due to unforseen circumstances and I for one commend them for at least getting the word out.
  • GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354

Your loss, rofl. Big time.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    I have to say, any MMO I have come back to and I had to rename my char because of crap like this, I have just walked away from for good. Dumb move IMO.

Uh no.. aint a dumb move considering it was YOUR dumb move for leaving the game in the first place. If you aint playing then fuck off - we get the names then.

+1

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Grrl

+1

More than likely anyone who hasn't been playing the game for the last 6+ years not only doesn't care, but probably doesn't even remember the names of the toons on their account anyway, and is unlikely to come back anytime soon. In a way i am a bit surprised that Blizzard aren't just clearing out old unused accounts rather than just reclaiming the names, as i doubt the previous 'owners' have any proprietary interest anyway.image

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354
    Originally posted by Ikonis
    Here is the part where people who never played WoW or have no intention of ever playing again express their faux outrage at this.

Oh so true

• Tenaka30Tenaka30 Member UncommonPosts: 84

My first reaction is waaaaah I don't want to lose my precious names in a game I  haven't played for over a year. (although I don't think I am affected by this)

But then I calm down and admit to myself my lifestyle has changed, and I have no place for a time sink such as WoW anymore.  Shame, some great memories came via this game than no other game has given me since.

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359
    so those that didn't play since 2008 have to rename their characters for free then if they come back after the patch? that's good for those that didn't like their names although well it's probably harder to find available names than before.

also even though it's not a big deal i hope this doesn't open the door to some new trend...

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825
    Originally posted by Phry

+1

More than likely anyone who hasn't been playing the game for the last 6+ years not only doesn't care, but probably doesn't even remember the names of the toons on their account anyway, and is unlikely to come back anytime soon. In a way i am a bit surprised that Blizzard aren't just clearing out old unused accounts rather than just reclaiming the names, as i doubt the previous 'owners' have any proprietary interest anyway.image

There is laws to uphold , they can't just delete your characters, i havent played in 4 years but it dont change the fact i have titles, mounts and so forth you can no longer get in the game.

Yes ill most likely never return to WoW but ill take use of this 10 day free MoP trial on my account to preserve all my char names, why ? , because their mine, simple, i've used those names for characters since back in UO, don't see why i should give them up to some punk who still plays WoW ;-)

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Finally! We can see Drizzzzzt, Aaaragorn, Leegolas, and XxDKxX again! I missed them...

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    Finally! We can see Drizzzzzt, Aaaragorn, Leegolas, and XxDKxX again! I missed them...

AHAHAHAH!! nice one!!!

On the other hand some people who have no intention playing the game login to keep their name. Hoarding name in a game they don't or never going to play, classy online trolls.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

+1

Not necesarely. There are games I have not been playing for 3 to 5 years, some logged from time to time to single alts, .... but could happen I could return some day. Also I have been playing Alliance only on Wow for something like 6 years, then continued more actively also my horde alts (and many time like to have same names for certain alts).

So i do not see any problem from Blzzard being POLITE to warn and ask. On the other side I'm sure behind this is also calculation to attract somebody back. :-)

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Uh no.. aint a dumb move considering it was YOUR dumb move for leaving the game in the first place. If you aint playing then fuck off - we get the names then.

Smarter move would to add last names that in conjunction with the first name makes a unique name. That way you dont take away people names. It also give people freedom to reuse the same name many times with a different last name. 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Smarter move would to add last names that in conjunction with the first name makes a unique name. That way you dont take away people names. It also give people freedom to reuse the same name many times with a different last name. 

Bingo!  Too bad the MMO industry can't hire people who can actually think outside the box.

Originally posted by Kost

Classy move, champ.

1. My account wasn't inactive since 2008, so my names wouldn't have been deleted anyway.

2. None of my character's names is in any way special in a way that them being unavailable would affect the experience of the active playerbase. Although i'm still one of these players that like to think a while when creating a character and try to come up with a decent name for a char. On none of my accounts there are any "XxXDestryarXxX"s or "Sephiiiroth"s.

Originally posted by sadWinds

Interesting, but im curious.. what made you quit wow back then?

To not derail the thread with my personal "why i quit" story, i will PM you later about that. Thanks for your interest :)