Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I make a living just griefing other people?

gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
I dont want to craft, mine, farm, buy a house or whatever lame stuff. I just want to attack people, loot the weapons/money from bodies and move on. I dont even wanna duel or anything maybe just hide somewhere where people are trying to hand in quests then kill them easy peasy. Is it possible to level or progress in the game this way? Is it easier if I join a group specifically for this purpose? Later on I want to be able to be really strong so that people that try to get revenge on me cant even do it if they bring several of their friends to fight me. Thanks in advance. 

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

Comments

• killahinstinctkillahinstinct Member UncommonPosts: 28
    all i can say is that you cant avoid battles if your gonna do all dat :P and i am gona become a pirate :]
  • XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440

You can kill other players, steal peoples crops, steal there tree's, uproot tree's so nobody gains anything, You can do these things however they give you infamy which if you get killed after gaining a certain amount gets you transported to a court house where fellow players can give you a sentence. they could let you free or make you sit in jail for a certain amount of time. You can however escape from jail but you are debuffed. 

Now there are clans that are dedicated to doing all that stuff. They are called pirates and there are several guilds recruiting that are all pirate guilds. there are several free for all islands between the continents perfect for piratey bases.

You won't be able to level just by doing those thing however because you only get xp from killing mobs, doing quests, crafting, and harvesting.

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Xirik

You can kill other players, steal peoples crops, steal there tree's, uproot tree's so nobody gains anything, You can do these things however they give you infamy which if you get killed after gaining a certain amount gets you transported to a court house where fellow players can give you a sentence. they could let you free or make you sit in jail for a certain amount of time. You can however escape from jail but you are debuffed. 

Now there are clans that are dedicated to doing all that stuff. They are called pirates and there are several guilds recruiting that are all pirate guilds. there are several free for all islands between the continents perfect for piratey bases.

You won't be able to level just by doing those thing however because you only get xp from killing mobs, doing quests, crafting, and harvesting.

So basically I cannot level as a pirate? I heard things like its better to level up normally then become a pirate later on. Its kinda lame, it is basically saying that the strongest players are going to be the carebears just farming and grinding and you wont be able to kill them because you cant level by killing them from the beginning. 

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    what do you do when not playing games op? you a serial killer or a drive by shooter.
  • XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by gessekai332

So basically I cannot level as a pirate? I heard things like its better to level up normally then become a pirate later on. Its kinda lame, it is basically saying that the strongest players are going to be the carebears just farming and grinding and you wont be able to kill them because you cant level by killing them from the beginning. 

you can however make sure that its extremely hard to get all the good stuff in this game. Gilda stars are the top tier stuff currency and you only get those from trans continental trade packs. If you destroy them while in open waters the whole trip will have been for nothing.

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by natpick
    what do you do when not playing games op? you a serial killer or a drive by shooter.

Being a griefing sadist in game - does not translate to RL.

I know quite a few really chill folks in RL who are just absolutely merciless in game.

Games provide a safe outlet to play out parts of human psyche that are not acceptible in RL.

this^

• HerzyHerzy Member UncommonPosts: 184

you can however make sure that its extremely hard to get all the good stuff in this game. Gilda stars are the top tier stuff currency and you only get those from trans continental trade packs. If you destroy them while in open waters the whole trip will have been for nothing.

In what other context, do you mean? Because playing the game regurlarly I'm getting Gilda Stars.

http://archeage.gamepedia.com/Currency

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

I know quite a few really chill folks in RL who are just absolutely merciless in game.

Games provide a safe outlet to play out parts of human psyche that are not acceptible in RL.

So does that mean that they are inherently merciless but just wont do it out of fear of the real world repercussions? Therefore the only way they can let their true selves out is in a game where there are very little "real world" repercussions?

Well, at least they are doing it in a game and not taking out a walmart.

edit: in any case op, just find yourself a good pirate guild, level when you guys are together and then "be pirates".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath

So does that mean that they are inherently merciless but just wont do it out of fear of the real world repercussions? Therefore the only way they can let their true selves out is in a game where there are very little "real world" repercussions?

Now I understand how the anti-violent video games movement got started. i guess all the carebears play mmorpgs because they cant kill rats and wolves all day long irl. 

Now I understand how the anti-violent video games movement got started. 

Apparently you don't.

The thing is, I spent over 4 years in Lineage 2 being killed by players only to then kill them back and have to hear their crying and whining and weeping over and over again.

Then there are the good players who would kill you and you would kill them and it was all in good fun.

now ... I wonder which one you are? image

Don't go jumping to conclusions with that brain of yours, my statement was valid. Did I say YOU were that type of person? But it does beg the question now doesn't it?

In any case, as you missed it "just join a pirate guild and level with them and then do your pirating".

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Apparently you don't.

The thing is, I spent over 4 years in Lineage 2 being killed by players only to then kill them back and have to hear their crying and whining and weeping over and over again.

Then there are the good players who would kill you and you would kill them and it was all in good fun.

Don't go jumping to conclusions with that brain of yours, my statement was valid. Did I say YOU were that type of person? But it does beg the question now doesn't it?

In any case, as you missed it "just join a pirate guild and level with them and then do your pirating".

i think its funny when people are handing in quests and then I PK them from behind. Or they are hiding behind guards but then i can somehow find a way to kill them anyway. crying and whining is for babies. i would just log out and go do something else with my time. 

Apparently you don't.

i think its funny when people are handing in quests and then I PK them from behind. Or they are hiding behind guards but then i can somehow find a way to kill them anyway. crying and whining is for babies. i would just log out and go do something else with my time. 

That's the spirit. Welcome to Archeage!

They just opened a new server so I would jump on that tomorrow if I were you.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    I do find it funny that only one aspect of game playing implements IRL personifications...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    A lot of us are making good cash pirating :)

this^

As far as your question OP - yes you can absolutely gank people when they least expect in in ArcheAge - however it might not be as easy as you think.

Some classes are great at surviving Alpha strikes and either locking you down and escaping - or just WTFpwning you in return.

But can you play AA without ever crafting a single thing and just killing folks? Yes - but you will have to get out of the "no pvp" areas in the beginning and get into the contended zones or open PvP zones - since these are a bit higher level - you'll have to level up a bit.

Also you can turn on bloodlust mode (ctrl + f) and kill your own faction too

You can also steal crops etc as mention above - but you can also harass people even in no-PvP zones due to Collision Detection (you can bump AFK players into water, or harpoon noob boats and drag them out into open water)

Here's the art of baiting someone into attacking you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNkqNPqDNg8 

Here's a video of trolling noobs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC5FpuxcI9M

LMAO I just died after i saw those guys put up their troll sail after they harpooned the small boat. 

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by greenreen

This seems timely and relevant to the topic.

http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2014/02/internet-trolls-sadists-psychopaths-lulz

Hey OP, you can also ponder Darkfall. Their devs love it when people grief each other and praise it - not even joking. You would fit in perfecto there if you are seeking your own kind.

If there is a game that allows griefing, there will be people applying for the job, and it is by no means  handful of people...

http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2014/02/internet-trolls-sadists-psychopaths-lulz

Hey OP, you can also ponder Darkfall. Their devs love it when people grief each other and praise it - not even joking. You would fit in perfecto there if you are seeking your own kind. They have what you want built into their game.

thats cool, pull up a research article written by a graduate student at a noname university and submitted to a garbage journal with an impact factor of 1.147. If i try hard enough I can find a research article that will correlate eating chicken wings with higher divorce rate. TRY AGAIN MY FRIEND.

Originally posted by Bossalinie
    I do find it funny that only one aspect of game playing implements IRL personifications...

I highly doubt only one aspect of game play implies IRL personalities.

The problem with the whole violence and video games argument is that those who want to ban violent video games belive that correlation proves causation.

But correlation does not imply causation. You can have two things occur simultaneously but not have them directly related.

So those people who were horribly violent and who played violent video games were thought to have been made violent by those video games. But that would mean that anyone who plays violent video games would have to become violent. but we know that not to be true.

It just so happens that those violent people loved violent video games. And there are many violent people who love violent video games but do hide their nature. I know a few. But, I know many more who love violent video games who would not hurt a fly. Well, maybe a fly ...

hmmm, my brother knows a guy who you would think is the most decent fellow but because of real world justice doesn't act out his true nature which would be one of the worst types of predators out there.

So um, yeah, sometimes we just don't know. That's' why it begs the question. You have  individuals who love violence and being a criminal in video games. Are they doing it to act out their true nature (I bet there are many) or is it because it's just "a lark" and is amusing to assume that different persona. Of course, would the latter group be able to stop if they saw that they were going too far? And if they couldn't or didn't want to stop then does that mean something else?

In any case I fully endorse (if not share) the OP's preferred method of game play in these games. If it's part of the game world then it's part of the game world.

Originally posted by Cryptor
    A lot of us are making good cash pirating :)

thats really good to know. Did you have to level normally first?

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286
    lol you look like your going to be a easy target and get farmed people  like me love to farm dumb noobs like you lol dubstep hahaha how lame 

Hey OP, you can also ponder Darkfall. Their devs love it when people grief each other and praise it - not even joking. You would fit in perfecto there if you are seeking your own kind. They have what you want built into their game.

thats cool, pull up a research article written by a graduate student at a noname university and submitted to a garbage journal with an impact factor of 1.147. If i try hard enough I can find a research article that will correlate eating chicken wings with higher divorce rate. TRY AGAIN MY FRIEND.

Hey you self-identified. I'm not trying to pin anything on you that you don't admit to yourself. You like hurting other people - people that you know are human - you also want to show others that you do this (making videos and keeping a souvenir). I'd just be content for you to keep it in fantasy land instead of taking it out in real life. Don't get so defensive about studies you said yourself are fact for you. You are actively seeking people to give a hard time. We accept it from you, why worry about whether or not we label it as long as you leave it fantasy instead of attacking people in real life, that's the way to cope with it. You take it outside of the games then you've got serious problems and I would hope you get caught, all bets are off if you torture and bully real life people outside of that shell of fantasy land.

It's typical that you would downplay something that you see as telling but look, no one gives two diddles if you have "tendencies" as long as you keep them in a willing participant scenario and don't overstep bounds. In open PVP games ppl know griefing can occur, that's consent in the slightest form.

Don't get caught up in the study. Think about Darkfall too. I'm telling you your people are all over there.

Wow, so now because I like to PK people that means I like to actually hurt people. Its fun and easy to stereotype and paint with a broad brush isn't it? And no I did not "self-identify" into whatever category you decided to lump me in. "Trolling" is a huge spectrum. PKing someone in an online game and then moving on is different from publicly shaming a person on facebook in front of their friends and relatives. And no there is nothing in that useless article you sent that is fact. I'm not against the article I am against bad science and people who just throw out statics and research articles that they didn't even bother to actually read themselves to pretend like they actually know anything. 

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

its so funny. on the one hand everyone is crying for the oh-so wanted "open sandbox" experience. But dont you dare playing to your own rules in that environment. You have to bend to the "we are all happy friends, because its a craaaaftingame *whatever game they think it is*" crowd, or youll get stamped as a loonie. Humanity is definitly not ready for a sandbox :P

To everyone on the search for a better experience: albion online. great comunity, great game.

This discussion has been closed.