Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minecraft: It's Official: Microsoft Owns Mojang

Comments

• HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Originally posted by Voqar

He'll probably bail out before too long and start a new company.

He already did bail out. Notch posted his resignation from the company this morning. 

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

How u can say NO to 2 billion?

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Mavolence
    What Hypocrisy, guy rages at facebook for acquiring Oculus Rift and even pulls his support then sells to microsoft lol

I'd be a hypocrite for 2 billion.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    If they can sell another 125 million copies of the game at $20 a piece they will break even. I really am curious what their strategy will be. They definitely need to be pretty aggressive in milking the IP if they want to see a profit from it within the next decade.

Minecraft is going strong but it won't last forever.

The value could also be in what it adds to the Microsoft platform. That may be worth a lot more than $2.5Bn in a very competitive tech market. Look at the Beats acquisition, or the exclusive Beatles - iTunes deal. Sometimes the advantage is in leverage and relevance. Microsoft could use a health dose of that right now.

Having access to all those people playing "your" game is probably worth more in advertising than what they actually payed to get it. And then of course there's the "content only on xbox" to get people to switch over.

• dreadlordnafdreadlordnaf Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Lets hope they dont screw it up...
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

If people are making money off of Minecraft via selling skins or running servers or doing Youtube/Twitch etc. than yes, the creators/owners of Minecraft deserve their cut.

Minecraft as an IP, plain an simple, and an IP that is worth a lot of $$.

This is what big companies do.

Hence, Activision Blizzard, EA, Sony, Microsoft, etc.

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358
    What Hypocrisy, guy rages at facebook for acquiring Oculus Rift and even pulls his support then sells to microsoft lol

yeah, that is what a offer of 2.5 billion in your bank does to you i guess - take the money and run

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by BailoPan15

Oh my god how they came up with this price for that garbage. Some people really have issues of perceived value. 

Why pay so much for this blocky shit? 2.5 bil, wow. For that amount of money you can hire a decent devs (not that microsoft doesn't have one of the finest) and do EQ:Next clone for fucks sake. Not even the team at Mojang is worth that much. They are bunch of java devs. You can find java devs every freaking where. Hell, for that amount of cash you can even train retards to make a better product. 

I wonder if I can make a picture of my poop and sell it for few grands to Microsoft, for good measure. If I was an investor at Microsoft, I would be really worried about the actions of this new CEO. Mojang is not worth 10th of this price. 

And if they are hoping that people will buy xbox because of some minecraft exclusives, they are completely delusional 

They are not paying for the game per se they are paying for the name recognition as well as various ways they can monetize its success.

Not only can they create future games using the minecraft name but they can also have minecraft merchandise, heck, maybe even a minecraft movie.

I'm not saying any of this is "good" I'm saying that they are thinking larger picture. Whether it's worth 2.5 Billion as an investment? Well time will tell.

I'll add:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-milestone-lego-movie-692161

This is along the lines (I bet) that they are thinking.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Rastan1Rastan1 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Aaaaand it's gone.
  • QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Classicstar

This!

Money corrupt all i'm affraid.

It's possible he is a hypocrite.

Then again, it's possible that he just learned a valuable lesson.

Like when you are young and you claim that you will always do this ... and never do that .... (fill in the blanks) and then you grow up and you find yourself not doing this and always doing that.

When faced with such a large sum of money that can enable you to do so many things. Some good things I imagine (not just for yourself) suddenly the perspective changes.

Then again, he might very well be a hypocrite.

He stated that the reason he was against Facebook acquiring the Oculus Rift was because Facebook "creeped him out" and that he didn't like what the platform is and had reservations on the potential reasons for why they decided to acquire the company in the first place. It wasn't because the Oculus Rift guys sold their company for a lot of money, it was who they sold it to.

So, he's not necessarily a hypocrite, at least not in that instance. Now, him stating that he didn't want Minecraft on Windows 8 could be a different story.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Originally posted by Rastan1
    Aaaaand it's gone.

Poof! gone!

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by laserit

This!

Like when you are young and you claim that you will always do this ... and never do that .... (fill in the blanks) and then you grow up and you find yourself not doing this and always doing that.

When faced with such a large sum of money that can enable you to do so many things. Some good things I imagine (not just for yourself) suddenly the perspective changes.

There's an old saying....

"Never say Never"

I'd agree but then again he raged at facebook like less than 2 months ago. Not only that but he also had a kotaku article on how he'd wish that no one ever bought windows 8 and he would try to make minecraft not run on windows 8 so that it will fail.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    Weird Microsoft owning a game on playstation. I see a lot of exclusive Xbox content coming though.

its not weird at all. Xbox One uses Sony´s BlueRay. Its just business. And no matter how much competition is there between the two companies, the bosses get along well with each other. Maybe they can do some friendly exchanges? you know, like Atlus and Capcom did once with Dante appearing in Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne in exchange for some designs for DMC 3 character models made by the SMT artist.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Now that Minecraft is going to shift focus towards XBox, I wonder if this will impact the modders of Minecreft Like Tekkit and FTB.

Yes, I think it will.  In what way, I'm not sure. 

Edit:  I think they'll go the Apple App way and require modders to submit their mod for approval, and if approved, MS may or may not charge for it or offer it in their Live account or some other bundled subscription they work out for it.  Then when people stop buying them, they'll either give it away for free or just offer new "upgrades" with them bundled every few years or something else to get more money to them.

• KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394

$2.5 billion for a company that is worth $200 million and has sales (at the current absolute peak) of $200 million a year. It will take 10 years to break even if the sales keep at this level which is highly unlikely.

----

A company that is a one hit wonder and has released nothing worth mentioning except a crappy card strategy game called scrolls made with unity and published a 3rd party game called Cobalt.

----

Microsoft must have had a lot of foreign cash they needed burn to reduce taxes. Anything else makes no sense at all.

----

Also:

Originally posted by BadSpock

If people are making money off of Minecraft via selling skins or running servers or doing Youtube/Twitch etc. than yes, the creators/owners of Minecraft deserve their cut.

Minecraft as an IP, plain an simple, and an IP that is worth a lot of $$.

This is what big companies do.

Hence, Activision Blizzard, EA, Sony, Microsoft, etc.

Finally, thank you!

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Now that Minecraft is going to shift focus towards XBox, I wonder if this will impact the modders of Minecreft Like Tekkit and FTB.

If it does impact it negatively, it would devastate the product. I wouldn't be surprised if more users play some modded form of Minecraft over vanilla.

If Microsoft was smart, they'd work on incorporating the most popular modpacks into the base game.

This!

"Never say Never"

I'd agree but then again he raged at facebook like less than 2 months ago. Not only that but he also had a kotaku article on how he'd wish that no one ever bought windows 8 and he would try to make minecraft not run on windows 8 so that it will fail.

For 2 billion dollars, would you go back on your word?   Because I sure as hell would.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

whelp, fuck.  I better dl as much modded content and updates as I can now, because sure as rain Microsoft will close the door on the mod community.

I hope I'm wrong. But MS doesn't have a great track record...only slightly better than EA.

Originally posted by grimal

This!

"Never say Never"

For 2 billion dollars, would you go back on your word?   Because I sure as hell would.

Depends how much I already had, before i'd switch stances after being so vocal for cash. If I had nothing there really isn't anything i wouldn't do for 2 billion dollars short of murdering family

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

I dunno about you...but I would GLADLY be a hypocrit for 2.5 billion dollars....

Originally posted by doodphace

I dunno about you...but I would GLADLY be a hypocrit for 2.5 billion dollars....

yea no doubt, but Notch had plenty of net worth before this and was very very vocal and stubborn in his stances and to see him just switch one one stance a year later and another a mere couple months after such a strong outcry just sucks. If I had the money he had before this sale no I wouldn't just fold turn around and sell out against my principles I yelled so loudly to the world

• EridanixEridanix Member Posts: 426

Microsoft is doing the right move in this chess game. 

They have the power and the money to play the strong, while the minecraft creator has the chance to become a new billionaire. Things are easy. I have a lot of money but I wouldn't let the best gaming devs scaping out of Microsoft control, so that, we have to make the good move. Because Apple has a lot of money there to get exclusivity on many parts of the gaming community if they were ambitious in that field. They are not, what who knows what's coming tomorrow?

It's a proof of evidence that nowadays Apple is working hard to become the first in EU, an aggressive policy that never happened before. Apple ruled quietly in the States and Microsoft in EU. That was the truth, but not anymore. Apple has started a war in EU to be top one in computers, tablets and cell phones. They are punching hard Microsoft here, and guys, that hurts. 

I'm not a Microsoft defender, in fact now I'm using a microsoft system but my main system is a Kali Linux distro (a Debian-style distribution focused on some aspects and very specialized for certain things). But if I want to play some game without a problem I need a Microsoft PC, simply because is the standard here and it works wonderful. 

Many games are moving to Apple if this company gets near Microsoft in EU. We are talking about billions and billions in money. Not a joke here. The big game is this one. Microsoft can be critiziced as long as you wish but I think they know how to play the Big game  that is the real market chess die-hard game.

No worries. Microsoft wants more genious coming and creating new things such as Minecraft and if the brilliant people need and injection of cash, Microsoft will be the med here.

About morality? If I was the creator of Minecraft I would have asked four times that quantity. Because this is the moral of the big gamers above us. It'd have been my good chess move. Two wins and now one loses. A perfect move.

It is a question of fangs.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • blythegablythega Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Well, The coffin lid is on and the nails are being hammered in. You can kiss this one goodbye