Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What/When is the next major MMO release?

RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Hey everyone, was just hoping someone that follows MMO news could fill me in on what and when the next major MMO release after Archeage is?  Or better yet the next 2-3.  I know about WoW xpack in November, and I'm not talking about the little f2p clone MMO's that come out once a week from like aeria/nexon/etc.  Just major titles like ESO, Wildstar, Archeage, that sort of thing.   Thanks!

Comments

• ParepinParepin Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Why wait for some junk when the best MMO ever has already been released: Darkfall Unholy Wars
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I think Landmark will be the next. I think they are planning for open beta this year which will be like a soft launch. Maybe early next year.

SOTA was supposed to release this year but I think they aren't holding to that anymore opting for a "when it's ready" release schedule. But they have been incredibly open with development and letting supporters play a new build every month.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    It sounds so far like there are no other major MMO's with (fairly solid) launch dates the rest of this year - is that correct?  
  • WillowFuxxyWillowFuxxy Member Posts: 406

I think the industry is about to take a step back and do some re-evaluation. A lot of the games you see now have been in the works for several years and many of them (speaking both MMO and single player) were built on the assumption that consoles would rule the world.

As it appears that is not the case, additionally I think crowd funding, mobile and Steam has exceeded all expectations.

I predict the larger firms are going to start studying how indies do things and try to scale it up large.

so with that I think we will have a pause in the gaming industry and then totally new and interesting things will happen.

That is my take anyway.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by WillowFuxxy

I think the industry is about to take a step back and do some re-evaluation. A lot of the games you see now have been in the works for several years and many of them (speaking both MMO and single player) were built on the assumption that consoles would rule the world.

As it appears that is not the case, additionally I think crowd funding, mobile and Steam has exceeded all expectations.

I predict the larger firms are going to start studying how indies do things and try to scale it up large.

so with that I think we will have a pause in the gaming industry and then totally new and interesting things will happen.

That is my take anyway.

It does seem like this could be happening.

Other than what Sony is doing there is very little news on what's coming from western mmo developers. And SOE sure is tossing around the sandbox buzzword.

Eastern developers are still going strong with more titles than I can keep track of but they don't really care what we do or think :)

• Gregor999Gregor999 Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by Parepin
    Why wait for some junk when the best MMO ever has already been released: Darkfall Unholy Wars

DFO suddenly not considered junk now? News to us.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by RollieJoe
    there are no other major MMO's with (fairly solid) launch dates the rest of this year - is that correct?  

just expansions

WOW - WOD

RIFT - Nightmare Tide

EQ2 - Altar of Malice

EQ1 - The Darkened Sea

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Look on the front page of this site on the right hand side, under 'Upcoming Games' and you'll get a handy list :)
  • RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by Darwa
    Look on the front page of this site on the right hand side, under 'Upcoming Games' and you'll get a handy list :)

Have you actually seen that list Darwa?  Most of the games on there aren't even MMO's.  Hell, some of them don't even have MULTIPLAYER at all!  I have no idea what that list is even doing on this website as its just a list of randomly selected single and multiplayer games from random genres with random release dates.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Originally posted by Darwa

Have you actually seen that list Darwa?  Most of the games on there aren't even MMO's.  Hell, some of them don't even have MULTIPLAYER at all!  I have no idea what that list is even doing on this website as its just a list of randomly selected single and multiplayer games from random genres with random release dates.

Fair point.

To be honest, I didn't read until after I'd posted as I've kinda given up on hoping for a 'me' game anyway.

The only one I'm looking forward to is Elite: Dangerous, and I personally don't consider that an MMO.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    They claim Black Desert with start closed beta testing in NA in 2015.  Still don't expect that game to go live in NA until 2016 to be quite honest.  About the time when EQNext will likely show it's official head.
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Start to get used to less AAA MMORPGs projects. There are very good reasons for decrease in their number.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

Originally posted by Sulaa
    Start to get used to less AAA MMORPGs projects. There are very good reasons for decrease in their number. 

Yep,

High cost, long development time, more competition and high turnover of subs. The industry really is in a bad state but the gamer can't see this.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Yeh ... i think devs like Blizz are figuring it out that MMO is not that popular anymore and there are plenty other types of online games to make.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I give it a shot... Really? Do you mind to provide some data?

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Reality MMO or not if the game is better than most games it will take my $. MOBA's have not, card games have not, FPS have not, last RTS Star Craft 2 have (and I regret), the latest supposed 500 mil budget Destiny game have not...

Fact is MMORPG are the type of games where innovation, creativity comes into play. The mind is the limit and the budget of what you can do within a MMORPG. FPS, RTS, MOBAs, racers, fighters, etc all are severely limiited in how far they can go.

Blizzard with WOW is best example how many billions you can make out of well done MMORPG. Also less AAA or overall MMOs can be better in a different way. The bad players go out and move to different projects, opening place for the current MMORPG players to prosper more with the MMORPG market and further polish/build/develop their games.

It's not about quantity, but quality. It's useless to me seeing 2-3 MMORPG's come every year if the last time I've been interested to purchase and get involved in one was almost 4 years ago with DCUO.

Originally posted by Gdemami

I give it a shot... Really? Do you mind to provide some data?

Data for what exactly?

Anyway - best "data" is amount of AAA MMORPG projects in development. 

For eastern MMORPGs - there are only two AAA MMORPGs in the developemtn that are created specifically for global release.  Black Desert and Bless.     Both of those projects started years ago, in diffrent times.

For west it is only one ttile - EverQuest Next,  at best there are two titles if you count Star Citizen to be an MMORPG.  BOTH of those titles are experiments business wise.   Everquest is biggest experiment since it relies on both crowdsourcing and crowdfunding.   

Star Citizen relies on insane monetary crowdfunding.

There is ZERO western MMORPGs that are created using corporations own investment only.

Additionally few projects were cancelled.  Project Copernicus,  Blizzard's Titan and most propably WB/Turbine MMORPG that was heavily rumored to be in works since ~2008.

Last but not least - MMORPGs have many problems that plagued them since their beggining and which are not sovled and it does not seem likely that they will get solved anytime soon.  Those problems are one of reasons why playerbase is increasingly turning from MMORPG into CO-OP / LOBBY gaming.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

For west it is only one ttile - EverQuest Next,  at best there are two titles if you count Star Citizen to be an MMORPG.  BOTH of those titles are experiments business wise.   Everquest is biggest experiment since it relies on both crowdsourcing and crowdfunding.   

I wouldn't count star citizen. But in any case, with the huge success of Destiny (and also MOBA), i would bet AAA money is not going to new classical MMO anytime soon.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

I wouldn't count star citizen. But in any case, with the huge success of Destiny (and also MOBA), i would bet AAA money is not going to new classical MMO anytime soon.

Me neither, I was just being generous heh

Not so sure about Destiny being so succesful, but that does not matter in short/medium run.  Companies are still gonna push CO-OP lobby PVE gaming such as Destiny in next few years, regardless if Destiny itself will be succesful or not.

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    Well, Lineage Eternal will launch in Korea in 2015 for sure, with the 1st CBT starting in the winter.

It still remains to be seen what kind of game Lineage Eternal will be.

Some people are of opinion it will rather be hack&slash lobby game like Diablo 3,Grim Dawn or PoE, maybe with several public instanced zones(or/and battlegrounds) like in Marvel Heroes rather than a MMORPG.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    It sounds so far like there are no other major MMO's with (fairly solid) launch dates the rest of this year - is that correct?  

Unless you count ESOs console launch, no. No AAA MMOs in sight for quite a time really.

Not sure there is much AAA next year either.

EQN is still pretty far away right now, and the same seems to be true of Zombie labs "Class 4". Blizzards "Titan" wont make it for years. Several interesting games like WoDO have been closed down.

You better find something you like that is already out there, or go for one of the smaller games. There are a bunch of them coming out after all.

Then again, I might be missing something (or not consider it AAA while you do).

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Prenho3
    Well, Lineage Eternal will launch in Korea in 2015 for sure, with the 1st CBT starting in the winter.

That means it will take at least a year before the English version, 2 is rather likely. Look on Aion, TERA and AA, htey all took a long time.

Of course it also depends if they license it or run it themselves, if they do run it themselves things will most likely go faster but I think it still would be a year.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    Im still waiting for ArcheAge...