Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To all of those posting to avoid this game

Comments

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Archlyte

How many players walk away with the same perception though?

No idea, there is no way to tell.

However, it does not seem to prevent you from making gross assumptions. It just shows how detached from reality and full of bias rather than facts you are.

Attack me if you want, but EVE is exactly what I reported it to be. Get any new player in game and watch what happens if not thoroughly warned. I should think that you murderhobos would want to educate potential players. Or is it that you just want to gank the unsuspecting for extra sweetness?

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Attack me if you want, but EVE is exactly what I reported it to be. Get any new player in game and watch what happens if not thoroughly warned. I should think that you murderhobos would want to educate potential players. Or is it that you just want to gank the unsuspecting for extra sweetness?

Dunno what to say, I have never understood people who wish to see themselves as victims and losers.

Up to each own, I guess...

Dunno what to say, I have never understood people who wish to see themselves as victims and losers.

Ok so your response is that I am suffering from low self esteem? Any chance you have some sort of argument for why EVE isn't a PvP griefing game, or is it that you have to poison the well because I'm right?

EVE is a PvP Griefing game.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Ok so your response is that I am suffering from low self esteem? Any chance you have some sort of argument for why EVE isn't a PvP griefing game, or is it that you have to poison the well because I'm right?

What does this even mean? It's a "pvp griefing game." Are you saying that pvp griefing exists in the game? Ok, yes it does. Or are you saying it's the main reason the game exists? Because, no it's not.

Griefing in sandbox games pretty much exists because you have a lot of freedom. You're just focusing on the bad side of that freedom, and ignoring the good. And if you cut out the bad, a lot of times it cuts out the good. That's why modern MMO's (and a lot of just games in general) are more mediocre. They attempt to control the bad aspects, but take away from the great parts of these games.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by Holophonist

What does this even mean? It's a "pvp griefing game." Are you saying that pvp griefing exists in the game? Ok, yes it does. Or are you saying it's the main reason the game exists? Because, no it's not.

Griefing in sandbox games pretty much exists because you have a lot of freedom. You're just focusing on the bad side of that freedom, and ignoring the good. And if you cut out the bad, a lot of times it cuts out the good. That's why modern MMO's (and a lot of just games in general) are more mediocre. They attempt to control the bad aspects, but take away from the great parts of these games.

" Goonsquad pleads not guilty till proven guilty several times "

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Ok so your response is that I am suffering from low self esteem? Any chance you have some sort of argument for why EVE isn't a PvP griefing game, or is it that you have to poison the well because I'm right? EVE is a PvP Griefing game.

Playing a negative proof card...?

I have no idea what you are actually suffering from, just going back to my point that perception is shaping the experience.

You make a vehement effort to persuade yourself and others that EVE is a "griefing game". It is something you want to believe and I won't argue with you on that, there is nothing to argue about irrational beliefs.

Your choice.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Uccisore

I think you assumed a tone in my post that wasn't meant to be there. I'm simply stating the truth as I see it. Human nature is what it is, and the behaviors on display in EVE are exactly what the recipe delivers. Encouraged violence with no consequences means predation as a rule. Predation among humans can be called being a thug or a bully as proper denotations. Not sure why this is offensive to you if it is

It's not offensive, it's just wildly illogical. We're talking about a game. EVE Online is as much a case of "encouraged violence with no consequence" as RISK or Axis and Allies are. You probably never played either, so here's a link to the side of conquest games (RISK, specifically) that you seem unfamiliar with. 

WARNING: That link contains material that may be too shocking to read for special snowflakes, the entitled, and certain breeds of Millennials. Here's an excerpt:

You are playing against humans with minds; minds that can have weaknesses which you can exploit. Unlike chess, in Risk you are not searching for a perfect move; instead you are searching for a way to control your opponent’s mind. The sooner you can do that, and the more successful you are in doing it, the more likely that you win the game. 

If the same mindset were prevalent you might have a point, but EVE isn't played like checkers or backgammon. 

Then it's a good thing I didn't say it was. imageimage

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by KaronT3
    Well, i've played EVE online too and it's true, you can be easely ganked at dorrs with some stuff (or not) at doors with a buble like was my firts death, or by a group of pirates pointing you and other two shooting you, and yes there is no problem about that, but anothe thing is people using Harrasement or trying to play only their way, and if you don't agree hey kill you. As you say at the start of the main post, you can do what you want, so if i wanna mine only, why should a guy that though is better than me, for any unknown reason, tell me how should i play? And bullying should be banned inmediatelly by CCP, people enter to EVE online to play and disconnect for real life, and if the game is worts than real life, that is a bad thing for CCP, because no one is going to pay 13 euros/dollars, for watchinh how a group of players only use bullying or herrasent in game for trying that you do, or give them what they whant. I should be cut of mine if i pay 13 euros and in game i only loose money or stuff because of people like that. That's is the main point of the last post i'he read about EVe and how CCp is doing nothing about that, so i must say that i'm with that player, that is the worst thing for the future of a game, because no one new is going to enter, or if they do, they will pay first moth and then they will say BYE BYE EVE forever.

can you slow down ? pls

• IkonoclastiaIkonoclastia Member UncommonPosts: 203

I think you assumed a tone in my post that wasn't meant to be there. I'm simply stating the truth as I see it. Human nature is what it is, and the behaviors on display in EVE are exactly what the recipe delivers. Encouraged violence with no consequences means predation as a rule. Predation among humans can be called being a thug or a bully as proper denotations. Not sure why this is offensive to you if it is

It's not offensive, it's just wildly illogical. We're talking about a game. EVE Online is as much a case of "encouraged violence with no consequence" as RISK or Axis and Allies are. You probably never played either, so here's a link to the side of conquest games (RISK, specifically) that you seem unfamiliar with. 

WARNING: That link contains material that may be too shocking to read for special snowflakes, the entitled, and certain breeds of Millennials. Here's an excerpt:

You are playing against humans with minds; minds that can have weaknesses which you can exploit. Unlike chess, in Risk you are not searching for a perfect move; instead you are searching for a way to control your opponent’s mind. The sooner you can do that, and the more successful you are in doing it, the more likely that you win the game. 

If the same mindset were prevalent you might have a point, but EVE isn't played like checkers or backgammon. I have played EVE and I can say that you are trying to sugarcoat something that is plainly antisocial behavior mimicked by a game, ergo there are no consequences for engaging in said in-game violence. Try and convince me that EVE is about cooperation or some shit, go ahead.

EVE is about fucking the person next to you or not doing so out of fear. EVE is prison - Be someone's bitch or get owned.

The fact that the game on average has players spending unbelievable amounts of time invested means that somebody sat at the computer and put man hours into whatever they were doing so that they could either gank or hope to not be ganked by other players. This is not the same as Risk or Axis and Allies. Even a long A&A game isn't usually more than 8 hours. EVE players sometimes log 60 hours in a week. That is investment tied to a desired outcome in a game. But the fact is that the game is just plain old nutkicking, old as the world and not novel.

You are not controlling anyone's mind with a 30 second combat either. Get over yourself there Patton. EVE isn't some lofty strategy think tank, it's pure force with accountant sycophants playing spreadsheet to jerk off over the in game damage in Isk.

Youre right that it's just a game, but it's a depraved game. At least be honest with yourself, you like a depraved game. Depraved because the human interface of the game is about attempting to make a human player out there suffer while you profit. Otherwise you would stay in high sec.

There are ways around the sheer force / numbers idiots.  You can play and win with a small gang or solo but as the years go on the investment in time and energy to do so becomes higher and higher (undamagable structures, hot-dropping, alliance isk rivers).  

One of the methods is to be logged in non-stop, in space cloaked or what is referred to in EVE as AFK cloaking.  You can then kill one of the morons while they're unprepared and afk-cloak till the heat dies down (the huge blob gets bored and disbands).  No longer worth the time and effort or the subscription cost though, especially given the ease of the enemy replacing anything you destroy.

• SoaringBarnacleSoaringBarnacle Member UncommonPosts: 34

You make a vehement effort to persuade yourself and others that EVE is a "griefing game". It is something you want to believe and I won't argue with you on that, there is nothing to argue about irrational beliefs.

Your choice.

Given the endless quotes from gankers stating that they enjoy nothing more than witnessing someone rage either through evemail, chat or voice comms, and that the ultilmate prize is making someone unsubscribe, it's definitely a griefing game in the sense that it caters to and coddles this crowd, which doesn't play the game as an end in itself, but as an online platform to make random people mad.

And then this very crowd says those who find their way of having fun untasteful are unable to separate RL from the game universe, when they are the very ones basing all their ingame behavior on RL goals: harvest corrupt glee by eliciting strong and negative RL reactions from some unknown dude. They don't care about ingame possessions, and the characters they use are irrelevant to them (hence the super ironically funny names): those are means to an end, this end being RL Schadenfreude.

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482

Yes don't change the game CCP keep all the griefers in Eve so we have less in other games :P

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by SoaringBarnacle

Your choice.

Given the endless quotes from gankers stating that they enjoy nothing more than witnessing someone rage either through evemail, chat or voice comms, and that the ultilmate prize is making someone unsubscribe, it's definitely a griefing game in the sense that it caters to and coddles this crowd, which doesn't play the game as an end in itself, but as an online platform to make random people mad.

And then this very crowd says those who find their way of having fun untasteful are unable to separate RL from the game universe, when they are the very ones basing all their ingame behavior on RL goals: harvest corrupt glee by eliciting strong and negative RL reactions from some unknown dude. They don't care about ingame possessions, and the characters they use are irrelevant to them (hence the super ironically funny names): those are means to an end, this end being RL Schadenfreude.

It doesn't 'cater to' or 'coddle' this crowd, it 'permits' this sort of behavior if they are willing to bear the consequences. (or find ways to mitigate them.)

That's the whole point really, EVE permits bad behavior, and it's up to each player to decide what role he'll play in this free form universe.

Despite rumors to the contrary, I've found a large majority of the player base to be better than most other games, but do understand, if you are not a member of someone's alliance, you are an enemy and they are free to kill and loot you by what ever means necessary.

As is so often is the case, today's enemy can be tomorrow's friend. (and vice versa of course).

Also, politics can make strange bedfellows and over the years I've been allied with the Goons, fought against the Goons and even now, the oft mentioned gankers of CODE are blue to my current alliance, yet we do not support ganking behavior.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SoaringBarnacleSoaringBarnacle Member UncommonPosts: 34

There are no consequences for bad behavior in this game, because people who indulge in it use alts, throwaway or not, to do so, and those alts are unrelated between them, as accounts are. You can go flashy all you want, and still go shopping in Empire with your 5.0 character who has excellent standings.

This also negates any kind of retaliation, as chars used for ganking are not the moneymakers of gankers, going after them is an exercise in futility.

There's coddling of antisocial behavior, such as a laissez-faire attitude towards all kinds of scams and downright sociopathic behavior such as reverse safaris. All of this makes absolutely no sense in the New Eden context. Surely empires would crack down on scammers and especially spammers, whose chatter make local communication an ordeal. Also, there would surely be a database of wrongdoers, or at least some automated ways to triple-check transactions so scams are preemptively countered.

Those scams only happen in this game because there are no modelizations of scamproofing in EvE gameplay, while it's an absolute certainty that automated, software and hardware based protections will exist in a futuristic spacefaring society, just as they already exist in ours.

If there was no coddling of scamming and antisocial behavior, while allowing them, scams and abuses of trust would be skill-based, with the usual 5% bonuses.

We could also talk about gatecamps and how market info is instantaneous regionwide, while gate info, which ships hang out on the other side, is strangely unavailable, unless you invest in a scouting alt.

And that's what it boils down to, in fact: the alt business, which keep EvE afloat, relies on the will of online sociopaths to escape all consequences, and of their potential victims, to escape ganks.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by SoaringBarnacle

There are no consequences for bad behavior in this game, because people who indulge in it use alts, throwaway or not, to do so, and those alts are unrelated between them, as accounts are. You can go flashy all you want, and still go shopping in Empire with your 5.0 character who has excellent standings.

This also negates any kind of retaliation, as chars used for ganking are not the moneymakers of gankers, going after them is an exercise in futility.

There's coddling of antisocial behavior, such as a laissez-faire attitude towards all kinds of scams and downright sociopathic behavior such as reverse safaris. All of this makes absolutely no sense in the New Eden context. Surely empires would crack down on scammers and especially spammers, whose chatter make local communication an ordeal. Also, there would surely be a database of wrongdoers, or at least some automated ways to triple-check transactions so scams are preemptively countered.

Those scams only happen in this game because there are no modelizations of scamproofing in EvE gameplay, while it's an absolute certainty that automated, software and hardware based protections will exist in a futuristic spacefaring society, just as they already exist in ours.

If there was no coddling of scamming and antisocial behavior, while allowing them, scams and abuses of trust would be skill-based, with the usual 5% bonuses.

We could also talk about gatecamps and how market info is instantaneous regionwide, while gate info, which ships hang out on the other side, is strangely unavailable, unless you invest in a scouting alt.

And that's what it boils down to, in fact: the alt business, which keep EvE afloat, relies on the will of online sociopaths to escape all consequences, and of their potential victims, to escape ganks.

That's more of a themepark feature. Also, keep in mind that when the gameplay itself is coded - instead of the rules coded, and gameplay emergent - that portion of the game now become restricted to only what the developers allow. 

To give an extreme example, it's the difference between stealing skill in UO and WoW. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Eve is a great game, but it has 2 major flaws 1) griefing is not managed (not ganking, not scamming, not open world pvp - griefing)
    Griefing is not immergenr gameplay it is malisciou

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    S bullying for perverse pleasure. And 2). Not playing more than 1 account leaves you at the mercy of anyone who does play 1+ accounts.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• shiner421shiner421 Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Prokaryotik

I understand where you're coming from, I truly do. But you have to realize that the world of New Eden that CCP has created is supposed to be an emulation of a completely dog eat dog society where almost anything can happen. For all intents and purposes you should be happy there are even Hi-sec areas in my opinion.

I have played this game on and off here and there for some time and I am by no means an expert in any way shape or form. But what I absolutely love about this game is that it truly is a vitrual world: one server, go anywhere, do anything. It is trying to portray a futuristic society in space where there is no government. Just those who may or may not be your friends.

I understand you have to pay a subscription, I understand that you've put a lot of time and effort into the game, but this is something that they make you very well aware of and is something that makes the experience something that is truly unique. That fear of griefing, that fear of losing everything. But that's what makes it awesome, the fact that can actually happen, anytime, anywhere, and if you can't handle that then this game isn't for you. Can't you guys imagine that if a world actually did exist like New Eden in space there would be those griefers, those pirates, those scammers? That's what our world is like believe it or not. Just most of us don't see it as we live in a priveleged society where we play video games all day... It's sick but its an accurate portrayal of what that society would be like (I think at least). So CCP, please don't change it. Don't corrupt this immaculate world of no holds barred, deception, profiteering, piracy, backstabbing.. ugh I could go on.

So you make a comparison to the world of Eve and real life as you see it. You praise this fictional world, you hope that it stays that way and never changes. You use the term immaculate: 

im·mac·u·late - free from flaws or mistakes; perfect

If you truly mean immaculate then that means that you would want the real world to stay this way and not change. You want wards, death, killing.

You should be brought to a hospital for a mental evaluation, you are quite sick. And, your a griefer. This is exactly the diatribe I would expect from a griefer. Well, enjoy your backstabbing, disloyal and untrustworthy world.

I will happily stay out of it.

• LazyDazedLazyDazed Member UncommonPosts: 166
    This is all completely irrelevant, Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen are and will be far superior products, why waste breath.
  • EnikEnik Member UncommonPosts: 99

I've been playing for 5 years and when my sub ends next month I am taking an extended, if not permanent, break. I've already stopped logging in.

It's an amazing game in an amazing universe, but right now it's nothing but a blue donut in null, griefers in highsec, and gate-campers in low. For once I have to agree that it's best to avoid this game.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by LazyDazed
    This is all completely irrelevant, Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen are and will be far superior products, why waste breath.

While Elite Dangerous is showing some promise, its not really a game that will be competing with Eve Online, although i can see a lot of people will probably buy it, myself included, but i certainly wouldn't stop playing Eve because of it, as for Star Citizen, its mostly in the conceptual, or paper stage, so its hard to say how it will be a superior product when its still years away from being alpha, so don't hold that breath you don't want to waste for too long, i hear asphyxiation can be unpleasant image

Playing a negative proof card...?

I have no idea what you are actually suffering from, just going back to my point that perception is shaping the experience.

Your choice.

You just argued with me by asserting that the Griefing Game is an irrational belief. There is no distortion there and I again point to the gameplay itself for proof.

The nature of the game is self-evident. You are trying to say that the fact that there are moments of cooperation and friendliness somehow change the overall nature of the game. CCP are proud of it being a place where you can kill off the efforts of other players and hopefully produce some sort of unpleasant reaction in the player who lost as being the spoils of war. That is the culture of EVE.

And once again this isn't about me, it's about EVE.

If the same mindset were prevalent you might have a point, but EVE isn't played like checkers or backgammon. 

Ok you didn't use those games you used Risk. I enjoyed the use of Risk as the example of the ultimate strategist's weapon. The guy who wrote that was either being a dick on purpose, or the context you used it in with disclaimer was employed to the same effect.

To be clear when I refer to No Consequences I mean that the game field is unreal but the conflict is largely between players who have no penalty for preying on the weakest and least able to self-defend. This encourages more of that behavior and discourages the opposite. There is no real penalty for being a complete ass in EVE, you can't be put in jail or have a permadeath execution of your character occur for aggression. The anarchy in EVE is artificially supported and nurtured. If anyone were able to actually bring on a Pax EVE and enforce widespread order, CCP and the barbarous players would end it fast by any and all means.

EVE is about being a dick to other players in hopes they will suffer. The currency of EVE is 4th wall suffering, it's what makes the game famous, ISK and PLEX are just mechanism for the main purpose of the game. If not for the ability to grief and gank it would be a lot of bad concept art cruising around empty space while sci-fi instrumental music plays.

Telling people that EVE is anything other than what it is would be attempting to extend the ganking to the meta level, which also known as being an asshole.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Ok you didn't use those games you used Risk. I enjoyed the use of Risk as the example of the ultimate strategist's weapon. The guy who wrote that was either being a dick on purpose, or the context you used it in with disclaimer was employed to the same effect.

To be clear when I refer to No Consequences I mean that the game field is unreal but the conflict is largely between players who have no penalty for preying on the weakest and least able to self-defend. This encourages more of that behavior and discourages the opposite. There is no real penalty for being a complete ass in EVE, you can't be put in jail or have a permadeath execution of your character occur for aggression. The anarchy in EVE is artificially supported and nurtured. If anyone were able to actually bring on a Pax EVE and enforce widespread order, CCP and the barbarous players would end it fast by any and all means.

EVE is about being a dick to other players in hopes they will suffer. The currency of EVE is 4th wall suffering, it's what makes the game famous, ISK and PLEX are just mechanism for the main purpose of the game. If not for the ability to grief and gank it would be a lot of bad concept art cruising around empty space while sci-fi instrumental music plays

Telling people that EVE is anything other than what it is would be attempting to extend the ganking to the meta level, which also known as being an asshole.

It is pretty clear you have no idea at all what EVE is about, you probably should stop posting at this point, the level of embarrassment is painful to read.

Do those activities occur in EVE? Absolutely.  Do they happen all the time to everyone? Not at all.

So much hyperbole in your viewpoints, when the reality lies miles away from your flawed perceptions.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LazyDazedLazyDazed Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by LazyDazed

While Elite Dangerous is showing some promise, its not really a game that will be competing with Eve Online, although i can see a lot of people will probably buy it, myself included, but i certainly wouldn't stop playing Eve because of it, as for Star Citizen, its mostly in the conceptual, or paper stage, so its hard to say how it will be a superior product when its still years away from being alpha, so don't hold that breath you don't want to waste for too long, i hear asphyxiation can be unpleasant image

Considering I have already had more fun in Arena Commander and Racing than I ever did in Eve, it's well beyond conceptual and paper. The space combat is what I enjoy and Eve falls short on having anything near decent space combat. The communities that revolve around both games are of a caliber that CCP would only dream of having, Chris Roberts and David Braben don't have to bend over for their players. 

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    I've always considered EVE to be an RTS above anything else.