Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to play this game as F2P.

ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
I want to try this game out and currently downloading it. I got burned one too many times with purchases so i would like to test it out as a F2P player. How are the restrictions? and any benefits for buying the game and becoming a subscriber?

Comments

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    From what I can see and what I read about, such as crafting your own LGV, pretty much everything can be obtained in game. Including advanced frames.  Of course it will just take a little bit of effort with farming and/or leveling.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Its pretty solid for a f2p. A lot of people everywhere and you can change "classes" if you are on something that you do not really like etc. Repeatable quests to level your "class" and such. Doesn't hurt trying it out. Its actually better than a lot of games out atm.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

In the dictionary under the term "free to play", Firefall is the only game that could be used as an example.

No pay walls, no pay to win, it's 110% free to play.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Husvik

In the dictionary under the term "free to play", Firefall is the only game that could be used as an example.

^This

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• abiwilson424abiwilson424 Member Posts: 9
    Nice. Because I can't afford to get a subscription game since I have to work at day and only have little time to play at night.
  • reygatdula11reygatdula11 Member Posts: 17

I'd have to agree with Husvik here, I'm a scrooge when it comes to MMO's and I personally dislike pay to win games so I was quite surprised that this game, although F2P, isn't pay to win. Cosmetics mostly, but nothing that will give a clear unfair advantage. :)

Originally posted by reygatdula11

I'd have to agree with Husvik here, I'm a scrooge when it comes to MMO's and I personally dislike pay to win games so I was quite surprised that this game, although F2P, isn't pay to win. Cosmetics mostly, but nothing that will give a clear unfair advantage. :)

I've wasted hundreds on crappy the next big one mmo's, falling for the hype, most end up going free to play anyway, then comes along Firefall, the most refreshing MMO in over a decade, totally hooked, and cost me nothing.

SO... I spent 10 bucks last night on red beans, for nothing more than to support the game in some way, didn't even use the beans, although i like this one battle frame pattern... but then again i can use credits in game to buy the damn thing off the market, might simply sell my beans for credits, i dunno there was really no purpose to buy them except to show support. I'll probably just sit on the beans and if something comes along i like i'll grab it. The fact that i can work for everything in game is what makes me enjoy it even more.

I read somewhere this person said they will spend $20 a month as long as they are playing, i figure that's a fair investment.

• patpatrevillapatpatrevilla Member Posts: 8

I've wasted hundreds on crappy the next big one mmo's, falling for the hype, most end up going free to play anyway, then comes along Firefall, the most refreshing MMO in over a decade, totally hooked, and cost me nothing.

SO... I spent 10 bucks last night on red beans, for nothing more than to support the game in some way, didn't even use the beans, although i like this one battle frame pattern... but then again i can use credits in game to buy the damn thing off the market, might simply sell my beans for credits, i dunno there was really no purpose to buy them except to show support. I'll probably just sit on the beans and if something comes along i like i'll grab it. The fact that i can work for everything in game is what makes me enjoy it even more.

I read somewhere this person said they will spend $20 a month as long as they are playing, i figure that's a fair investment.

Same for me, I've come to a point where I'm just enjoying the game so much and seeing the work being put by the devs into the game just makes you want to "pay up" just to support the game. I'll admit I haven't spent a dollar on the game yet, but me and my buddies were thinking of getting matching patters on our frames so hoping we spend cash sooner rather than later. 20$ might seem a bit too much for me, I'm guess 10$ (for me) is a fair investment monthly.

Hit 40 Saturday night and finally crafting my Cobra, not sure which frame to unlock as yet, i'll sit on my pilot tokens for now. Tomorrow a huge patch perfect time to start a new frame though.

I have to say, getting to 40 wasn't the brutal grind i was kinda hoping for, sure we started the night at 38 and played till about 3 am but it wasn't the epic grind peeps seemed to be whining about, upset? not really it's just with the incessant crying about hard long grinding i had my hopes up, lol.

It's similar to the baby crying about traveling back and forth, wow i've not once said omg the traveling back and forth, if anything i love every second of traveling, the distances should be much further with all the travel options available, and i still love to travel on foot, there is so much to do and see along the way that i think i've only completed 2 job boards in the entire journey to 40.

• Drac14Drac14 Member UncommonPosts: 55

I agree with everyone here about Firefall as a free to play. 

I'm so happy this game has redeemed itself. I got in the beta more than 2 years ago now, and popped in after every major change only to be somewhat turned off. But now...I play the game every night. 

I'd like to just go over a few things I find as highlights for the game to further convince you it's awesome.

-Freaking gorgeous graphics. Travelling isn't bad because the world is so handcrafted and detailed. 

-Transportation. There's no fast travel waypoint thingy (as far as I know). I like that, you have dropships that go from hub to hub. You can get your own personal vehicles, hang gliders, jump pads, etc. It's great, and gives you more familiarity with the world as you travel through it.

-Pretty solid combat. Feels like an actual shooter. No matter how many arahna's I shoot up I always enjoy watching them explode into goo and little bits flying everywhere.

-AI is decent enough and monster mechanics change things up.

-You can change classes on the fly. Not feeling the assault class? Try the recon. You get 4 classes to start and can earn advanced ones later (which are actually pretty cool). 

- Doesn't feel grindy to me (though if you switch classes a lot, you'll be doing the same ares missions over but...they aren't that bad). 

- PVP for territory control and what not seems cool, though I haven't experienced it yet. 

- Dynamic events are awesome and really do help the world feel alive. They also bring players together.

- Big selling point for me: Impromptu player cooperation. Pretty much every night I end up playing and shooting stuff up with others. Not in an official group but we all come together to share in a dynamic event of some kind. I haven't figured out yet if there is kill stealing or ninja looting...I'm not sure how that works so maybe someone else can shed some light here.

- Good community. So far, I see people being fair and kind in general chat, usually sharing with others where dynamic events are popping up, helping you if you are downed (i've never had a player ignore me if I was downed). People usually add me to their friends list after an event which I find nice. 

- Plenty of updates. Since Firefall has sort of launched, they've done a good job at doing "live events" and adding content. Last live event let you work towards an aranha pet, missle launcher, lots of credits or battleframe paint. And honestly, getting those rewards weren't a grind at all. I use to do the special events in neverwinter and THOSE were a grind.

I could probably go on but I won't. So far, it seems like firefall is trying really hard to win people back and forget the past. And they are doing a good job! I feel respected as a player, not like a sack of cash when I play.

• reygatdula11reygatdula11 Member Posts: 17

Fair enough, I think 20$ a month is cool, I figure if I were to spend on an MMO, I wouldn't get butt hurt over 20$. I have a day job, don't pay that much, but I think 20$ is a fair price for something I enjoy on a monthly basis, especially if I know the devs have been putting it to good use.

Originally posted by Drac14

I agree with everyone here about Firefall as a free to play. 

I'm so happy this game has redeemed itself. I got in the beta more than 2 years ago now, and popped in after every major change only to be somewhat turned off. But now...I play the game every night. 

I'd like to just go over a few things I find as highlights for the game to further convince you it's awesome.

-Freaking gorgeous graphics. Travelling isn't bad because the world is so handcrafted and detailed. 

-Transportation. There's no fast travel waypoint thingy (as far as I know). I like that, you have dropships that go from hub to hub. You can get your own personal vehicles, hang gliders, jump pads, etc. It's great, and gives you more familiarity with the world as you travel through it.

-Pretty solid combat. Feels like an actual shooter. No matter how many arahna's I shoot up I always enjoy watching them explode into goo and little bits flying everywhere.

-AI is decent enough and monster mechanics change things up.

-You can change classes on the fly. Not feeling the assault class? Try the recon. You get 4 classes to start and can earn advanced ones later (which are actually pretty cool). 

- Doesn't feel grindy to me (though if you switch classes a lot, you'll be doing the same ares missions over but...they aren't that bad). 

- PVP for territory control and what not seems cool, though I haven't experienced it yet. 

- Dynamic events are awesome and really do help the world feel alive. They also bring players together.

- Big selling point for me: Impromptu player cooperation. Pretty much every night I end up playing and shooting stuff up with others. Not in an official group but we all come together to share in a dynamic event of some kind. I haven't figured out yet if there is kill stealing or ninja looting...I'm not sure how that works so maybe someone else can shed some light here.

- Good community. So far, I see people being fair and kind in general chat, usually sharing with others where dynamic events are popping up, helping you if you are downed (i've never had a player ignore me if I was downed). People usually add me to their friends list after an event which I find nice. 

- Plenty of updates. Since Firefall has sort of launched, they've done a good job at doing "live events" and adding content. Last live event let you work towards an aranha pet, missle launcher, lots of credits or battleframe paint. And honestly, getting those rewards weren't a grind at all. I use to do the special events in neverwinter and THOSE were a grind.

I could probably go on but I won't. So far, it seems like firefall is trying really hard to win people back and forget the past. And they are doing a good job! I feel respected as a player, not like a sack of cash when I play.

There is a fast travel, once you have been to a sin tower you can use your map and travel there, for a cost however. As far as i'm concerned it may as well not exist as you can't use it and expect to get ahead in the game throwing credits away like that. It simply isn't feasible.

Ninja loot, i've not entirely nailed this down yet either. Sometimes allot of peeps around and there is tons of crystite laying around so that seems individual, then you have med pack drops that looks like first come first serve, loot i think it's up for grabs as it falls, sometimes after a huge event though allot of loot is left, so is it no-one wanted it is it tagged for me? i'm unsure.

Then when you do a bandit camp for example, getting the data card is irrelevant as when all the loot boxes are opened you get your share anyway, loot and crystite.