Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I haven't been this excited for an MMO since...

SupaAPESupaAPE Member Posts: 100

Warhammer online....but we all know how that turned out. Personally, the lag, unfinished content, some more lag...did it for me.

it had the potential to be an excellent game, I really loved the art work and models...too bad though.

What about you? =)

Comments

• InfantryonlineInfantryonline Member Posts: 113
    To me this is the only mmo. Im going to skip Archeage and play Landmark more. I bought the explorers pack and waiting on it for download. I just can't be beside myself to "crunch numbers" anymore. I need something more action based.  action rpg, fps "Hybrid" sounds more interesting than anything of the old rpgs can offer right now.

...That's essentially what being smug is. Acting like you're so blatantly right that even the thought of someone disagreeing with you is appallingly stupid and comical. you have a good chance of bullying them into believing you.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by SupaAPE

Warhammer online....but we all know how that turned out. Personally, the lag, unfinished content, some more lag...did it for me.

it had the potential to be an excellent game, I really loved the art work and models...too bad though.

What about you? =)

The Secret World I loved but it just didn't get as much credit as it deserved. Without wanting to be rude it was just too highbrow for the general public. The joy of the game was in trying to solve all the puzzles and riddles but when most people just googles the answers the allure of the game is lost. Never understand people like that.

DDO I was very excited for but they didn't quite do it right. Wrong setting (forgotten realms should have been done) and a little too instanced and they bowed to pressure to have PvP in the game (monster mode) which again kind of missed the missed the point of the game.

AOC I was super hyped for and it actually met my expectations but it was helped by being part of a fantastic RP guild. I still think that game was great but the lack of content at high levels put people off (I honestly never had a problem with the content) and so it never got the respect it deserved.

But since probably The Secret world I have not really got hyped for a game. I will defend games I am looking forward to and complain about games when the design choices are wrong but for the most part now I just wait.

I am looking forward to Landmark and EQN though and it is hard to not get hyped about it when you actually look into what is going on (especially when I look at some old design notes I wrote about 9 years ago detailing the game I want to make and SOE have covered all my desires).

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    My previous "can't wait" MMO was probably Aion. I played it for a year before burning out on the repetitive combat. Once I had the weave timing down it wasn't very challenging. The chain abilities were nice though and I hope more action based MMOs do something similar. It would open up more choices in a limited skill set combat system, which is it's weakness IMO.
  • SupaAPESupaAPE Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by Aelious
    My previous "can't wait" MMO was probably Aion. I played it for a year before burning out on the repetitive combat. Once I had the weave timing down it wasn't very challenging. The chain abilities were nice though and I hope more action based MMOs do something similar. It would open up more choices in a limited skill set combat system, which is it's weakness IMO.

Aion, was a cool game for a month or so. I just wasn't able to deal with that grind at that point in time of my life. It was a good eastern game tho, wish I could have gotten into it a little more.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

I started being much less excited when I noticed how they would just ignore the round table poll results, and say some PR speak about certain features. It seems they're going to be steering clear of any kind of risk vs reward gameplay, complexity, or possiblity for failure.

Nights won't be dangerous. No race locked classes. Lots of instancing. And the rally points don't advance when people aren't around. Huge siege going on? Frozen forever until you get there buddy!

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Davisflight

A lot is not known regarding difficulty but risk vs reward is intended. When what you do and who you help is tracked, where NPCs react to you is definetely risk vs reward. Complexity or how hard it will be is not known at this time.

Nights? That's not known either other than there wont be races that can't see in the dark. No race locked classes? That's great considering earning classes is part of the meta. Instancing? According to what. All info we've heard so far points to an all open world, unless you have info to the contrary?

You may not be interested in EQN but we should stick to what is know, even if we don't have all the info.
    Rohsong and the AI will take this mmo to the next generation. That's what were all waiting for, right? I mean the possibilities of what they can do, like we have no idea whats in store that they can possibly create. Rohsong will lie to you, will tell you "you should meet this this one man in this mountaintop", when you get there he one shots you or kicks you off the cliff. Or what if you play evil a lot and that increases the rate of which Rohsong fucks with you. I mean, are we going to get trolled by griefers or are is the game going to mess with them? It remembers how you fight so if you train a lot maybe it messes with you more. And the devs stated there is no "good" vs "evil" so what if the server chose what they thought was "good" and that creates a "dragon" like Kerafyrm or something that creates a chain that creates more "evil" the land cannot contain. We have no idea. If it weren't for EQN i would just be playing the 2k sports line on my console. This is the possibilites we need for an mmo rpg.

...That's essentially what being smug is. Acting like you're so blatantly right that even the thought of someone disagreeing with you is appallingly stupid and comical. you have a good chance of bullying them into believing you.

• SupaAPESupaAPE Member Posts: 100

Mark my words, the A.I in this game is going to be the most advanced A.I in an MMORPG ever. 

This means that, the world in EQN is going to be more dynamic than any other MMORPG to date.

'It also means that the PVE in this game has the possibility (this is up to SOE), to be the most intricate challenging PvE in an MMORPG ever.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Color me Optimistic

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Mark my words, the A.I in this game is going to be the most advanced A.I in an MMORPG ever. 

This means that, the world in EQN is going to be more dynamic than any other MMORPG to date.

'It also means that the PVE in this game has the possibility (this is up to SOE), to be the most intricate challenging PvE in an MMORPG ever.

That's a pretty BOLD statement and for their sake I hope you are right, I have my concerns about EQN atm as they relying on their player base to create most of their content in EQL which in some ways is good business wise as you don't need to pay staff for that kind of stuff. The flip side of that shows talent about which SOE can draw from which could have the potential to be a win, win situation or fall flat on it's face. Personally I'm disappointed with the combat style they have elected to go down as it has the look and feel of an Asian MMO which is perfectly okay for the console addicts but as for the PC MMO'er it's fail for me. If I have to use a joy pad to play a game then UNISTALL happens I can not be bothered or even want to compete in a joy pad game.

Back on topic after my little rant!!! tbh AI is a joke on most games not sure why they call it AI as it's pretty much lack of NPC intelligence imo, we all know that most npc's provide little challenge unless they go completely the opposite way and make then harder and not fun at all. You also have the solo and group content intelligence to consider so for them to come up with something new will be difficult that's why they have farmed it out to a new company and hopefully they can improve what has been lacking in many games. I'm really hope they do manage to pull this off but we will have to wait and see and I aint holding my breathe on this.

Asbo

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Been playing MMOs for so long and seen to many MMOs I didnt like to be I cant wait for it any more. Only time I get that feeling is when I beta test a game and I like it. At this point I will wait for EQN beta and save my hype till I know its a game I wana play =-) I will say I am excited about Storybrinks and Voxel Farm but again we have no proof it will work as intended lol. I sure hope it does.
  • VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

Warhammer online....but we all know how that turned out. Personally, the lag, unfinished content, some more l

The very thought of EQN is wrose than WHO for me, since I loved original EQ and to me EQN is EQ in name only, and is an abomonination of an idea for an MMORPG.  It's truly sad to see the great EverQuest name being sucked down the toilet of modern not relaly MMORPG design and being tied to a single player arcade-like piece of F2P garbage.

It would be refreshing to see a developer grow balls and make a real MMORPG and worry more about making a good game and less about making money for their corporate daddy, which is all MMORPGs are about these days - sucking max money from the max number of players the most efficiently, just like everything else corporate.

The EQN devs don't care about what they're doing to the EQ name, they're just using it to make SOE more money.  They don't care about making a good MMORPG, just about making more crap with the widest possible appeal to maximize profits.  And they surely do not care about players except as bodies to draw more money from.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Voqar

Warhammer online....but we all know how that turned out. Personally, the lag, unfinished content, some more l

The very thought of EQN is wrose than WHO for me, since I loved original EQ and to me EQN is EQ in name only, and is an abomonination of an idea for an MMORPG.  It's truly sad to see the great EverQuest name being sucked down the toilet of modern not relaly MMORPG design and being tied to a single player arcade-like piece of F2P garbage.

It would be refreshing to see a developer grow balls and make a real MMORPG and worry more about making a good game and less about making money for their corporate daddy, which is all MMORPGs are about these days - sucking max money from the max number of players the most efficiently, just like everything else corporate.

The EQN devs don't care about what they're doing to the EQ name, they're just using it to make SOE more money.  They don't care about making a good MMORPG, just about making more crap with the widest possible appeal to maximize profits.  And they surely do not care about players except as bodies to draw more money from.

First, all SoE products are F2P and all follow the same model. You can play for free till you get to end cap and if you wana join the end game community you have to sub. EQN will follow the same model as they said it will fall under their all access pass. As for it sucking, no one knows that as no one has played it but the devs and their in house beta testers. You calling it a fail is like saying a meal sucks before the cook made it. 

Originally posted by NightBandit

That's a pretty BOLD statement and for their sake I hope you are right, I have my concerns about EQN atm as they relying on their player base to create most of their content in EQL which in some ways is good business wise as you don't need to pay staff for that kind of stuff. The flip side of that shows talent about which SOE can draw from which could have the potential to be a win, win situation or fall flat on it's face. Personally I'm disappointed with the combat style they have elected to go down as it has the look and feel of an Asian MMO which is perfectly okay for the console addicts but as for the PC MMO'er it's fail for me. If I have to use a joy pad to play a game then UNISTALL happens I can not be bothered or even want to compete in a joy pad game.

I have a friend who works in the game industry as a graphics designer for Electronic Arts and he says typically companies hire people to do one aspect of the game like certain animations or other parts of the game. then they offer to hire them full-time or for the rest of the project. Its unwise for a company to stick with a group they call "developers" because the talent pool is greater with as many artists in the world. It seems like in SOEs case there is seniority but there is no doubt they got other people from around to fill in what they needed to be done.

Back on topic after my little rant!!! tbh AI is a joke on most games not sure why they call it AI as it's pretty much lack of NPC intelligence imo, we all know that most npc's provide little challenge unless they go completely the opposite way and make then harder and not fun at all. You also have the solo and group content intelligence to consider so for them to come up with something new will be difficult that's why they have farmed it out to a new company and hopefully they can improve what has been lacking in many games. I'm really hope they do manage to pull this off but we will have to wait and see and I aint holding my breathe on this.

They said you can solo or duo much of the content from the overland, Tier 1 or Tier 2 abilities needed, but when you get to the dungeons you should be Tier 4 Tier 5 or however you mulitclass. The farther you are from populated areas the harder. They want you to think more during combat they said. With ploys and counter-ploys. The group of enemies you face, might be attacking or defending depending on what they see or how you fought previously, they can attack your cc, defend their healer or support, or go after the mage.  Im thinking Dragon Age: Origins difficulty in an mmo only smarter. They can increase or decrease the mob AI with a slider.

The very thought of EQN is wrose than WHO for me, since I loved original EQ and to me EQN is EQ in name only, and is an abomonination of an idea for an MMORPG.  It's truly sad to see the great EverQuest name being sucked down the toilet of modern not relaly MMORPG design and being tied to a single player arcade-like piece of F2P garbage.         With the AI slider, those 3 monsters that was a walkover in a cave with six people suddenly, those six people are in the fight for their lives. They can possibly make EQ difficulty on the fly just different ways of action.

This is literally f2p. They won't make money unless people want to play. F2p to start out means their game has to be literally good.

Why would they gut their own game? If Everquest meant long camps, intricate dungeons, Hard quests and great achievements, unmistakable community, why would they change? They're making a game they always wanted to. 15 years ago if a designer said "Let's make them press 1 on the keyboard, and that allows them to continuously attack" that would sound completely lame in today's standards. But they were limited. Firiona can wield a bow and you, as a player, can actually change her story. It's something i always wanted to do since entering Kunark on that huge boat. They're making Everquest better and something that will be mainstream again. Or at least i hope when 2016 comes here.

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350

At the moment I have no clue whether to be exited about EQN or not. The information SOE is giving us looks to me as if they would be talking about two completely different games. Storybricks sounds really great but the latest gameplay they have shown makes me want to stay away from that game as far as possible.

I really don't know what to expect. I think EQN could turn out to be anything between the greatest sandbox mmo ever and a forgettable casual hack'n'slash game. I was hoping that we would get a clearer picture at SOE-live but it only got more confusing. 

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    ...the last one
  • MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by Sengi

At the moment I have no clue whether to be exited about EQN or not. The information SOE is giving us looks to me as if they would be talking about two completely different games.

Landmark and EQN ARE 2 separate games. No confusion at all there. But there is a very direct link as mechanically they will be using the same designs but implementing very different design structures in gameplay. Landmark is a building game, be it building stuff on your land plot, building PvP arena's and battle grounds and eventually building entire games using the AI system. EQN will use the same tools and infrastructure but will contain only EQ relevant props whereas Landmark is sort of anything goes.

Storybricks sounds really great but the latest gameplay they have shown makes me want to stay away from that game as far as possible.

I really cannot fathom your remark as Storybricks is being hailed by the AI community for what it is doing. It is a monumental leap from static Ai structures to a system that allows a great freedom in how it works. Plus it allows a very complex system of triggers and levers to be put together relatively easily to enable interaction on a previously unknown level for an MMO.

I really don't know what to expect. I think EQN could turn out to be anything between the greatest sandbox mmo ever and a forgettable casual hack'n'slash game. I was hoping that we would get a clearer picture at SOE-live but it only got more confusing. 

I was at SOELive and I fail to see what was confusing about it. I didn't meet one person there that was confused, only excited for what was yet to come.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

I started being much less excited when I noticed how they would just ignore the round table poll results, and say some PR speak about certain features. It seems they're going to be steering clear of any kind of risk vs reward gameplay, complexity, or possiblity for failure.

Nights won't be dangerous. No race locked classes. Lots of instancing. And the rally points don't advance when people aren't around. Huge siege going on? Frozen forever until you get there buddy!

They didn't ignore the poll results, they simply said, nope we disagree. Polls weren't their for players to decide what they would be doing, just to see feedback. As far as I can tell, any poll that was strong in favor of something that they then said they were doing something else, they gave reasoning to back it up. You or I might not agree, but we aren't making the game nor have the total picture. As details come out, certain choices do make more sense. X might sound great and work in another game, but could be terrible in EQN. Context is important and unfortunately we don't have it all.

Where you are getting your "facts" is beyond me though. No race/class combo yes, but nights, instancing, risk vs reward, guess we are looking at different details.

How could EQN be something other than EQ in name only? Beyond cloning EQ with new graphics? It is a completely different game, just like EQOA and EQ2. We differ on what makes EQ EQ. For some it is the lore, items, names, lands, etc and for others it is more of the mechanics. Mechanics can be done in other games and have been, lore can't. No idea where single-player/arcade is coming from.

Translation: You want a game made for you. Don't we all.

While I would love this, I also accept that I'd also be playing alone. Games have to appeal to a variety or simply can't exist. Doesn't mean the game can't still have quality and good aspects, but finding a game tailored to our every wish isn't going to happen. 

Obviously your opinion, but haven't seen anything to make this ring true to me. Seems they are going above and beyond when it comes to EQ lore and making the story actually something I personally want to be a part of and learn about (not so for previous games). EQN devs are SOE, so makes sense they want to make money, gotta pay the rent. Again, "a good MMORPG" means one you to you, one thing to me, and a million different things to everyone else. EQN isn't for you unfortunately.

Compared to what else is out and coming, don't see much better. Will it be perfect? Nope, but nothing ever is. I had issues with EQ, just like every other game. Because why? No game is tailored to our personal wishlist.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I was some what interested in Warhammer but following the dev speak i knew it was going to be bad and rushed.Their team sounded like they couldn't care less about crafting and only wanted to make a half assed pvp game.I got in and about the only positive was the sounds/effects everything else looked Indie.

As for Next i would like to know what it is that has you excited?I would like to think it is going to be something special but having seen SOE in the past,they are not very creative at all and tend to repeat the exact same game play over and over.

I have seen some of the limitations in character and combat structure and reminds me of FFXIV which that part is pretty weak.I see it being nothing more than another Everquest with linear questing and dungeons only adding in the licensed Voxel farm.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

I was some what interested in Warhammer but following the dev speak i knew it was going to be bad and rushed.Their team sounded like they couldn't care less about crafting and only wanted to make a half assed pvp game.I got in and about the only positive was the sounds/effects everything else looked Indie.

As for Next i would like to know what it is that has you excited?I would like to think it is going to be something special but having seen SOE in the past,they are not very creative at all and tend to repeat the exact same game play over and over.

I have seen some of the limitations in character and combat structure and reminds me of FFXIV which that part is pretty weak.I see it being nothing more than another Everquest with linear questing and dungeons only adding in the licensed Voxel farm.

Where to start.....there is so much information out there and it hurts my head just how much I would have to write to even tell you what is there now and why that has me excited, let alone what they have planned for the future.

If you really are interested feel free to check my previous posts about some topics but the best place to look is on the Landmark and EQN forums.

I can give you a very basic reason though and it is the fulfilment of what my dreams were when I first started playing computer games and Roleplaying some 30 odd years ago. Basically a virtual interactive fantasy world.

An example....

Since I have been playing MMO games, I have mined Copper by looking for little bobs on my mini map, finding a boulder type object that is slightly orange in colour and clicking on it. 2 seconds latter the rock disappears and I get a couple of chunks of Copper in my inventory. About 15 minutes later that rock of Copper is back again.

In Landmark you need to find a seem of Copper by delving into a cave system and looking for it. When you find a nice seem you have to dig away with a Pick and follow the seam to collect the Copper. Sometimes you find rare minerals at the end. When you leave there is a big gaping hole where you have just dug the ore out of the ground.

It might not sound like much but if you are hoping to play an MMO that finally feels like a virtual world then you would understand why it is such a great feature. And it is only a tiny part of the things that SOE are approaching in a different way to make a virtual world to play in.

And you have to investigate Storybricks and the latest AI advancements. The potential will blow your mind.

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Markusrind

Landmark and EQN ARE 2 separate games. No confusion at all there. But there is a very direct link as mechanically they will be using the same designs but implementing very different design structures in gameplay. Landmark is a building game, be it building stuff on your land plot, building PvP arena's and battle grounds and eventually building entire games using the AI system. EQN will use the same tools and infrastructure but will contain only EQ relevant props whereas Landmark is sort of anything goes.

I really cannot fathom your remark as Storybricks is being hailed by the AI community for what it is doing. It is a monumental leap from static Ai structures to a system that allows a great freedom in how it works. Plus it allows a very complex system of triggers and levers to be put together relatively easily to enable interaction on a previously unknown level for an MMO.

I was at SOELive and I fail to see what was confusing about it. I didn't meet one person there that was confused, only excited for what was yet to come.

That's not what I meant. The point is that for me what you see in this video can't be the game SOE is talking about. The combat looks very simplistic and seems to have no depth to it. It looks odd to me that this supposed the same game that is going to bring us Storybricks and other great innovations.

Some design decisions (the skill system and the graphics for example) point in the direction that EQN is going to be a rather casual game that is drawing a lot of inspiration from MOBAs. I don't see how this could at the same time be the next big sandbox mmo. These seem like polar opposites to me. Maybe SOE is going to make it fit somehow, but maybe not. We can only wait and see what they are going to release. Sometimes it seems to me that they are only toying around with ideas at this point and don't really plan to release anything in the foreseeable future.

Landmark is a great building game but is very far from being a mmorpg. At the moment I see it more as a tech demo.

Originally posted by Sengi

That's not what I meant. The point is that for me what you see in this video can't be the game SOE is talking about. The combat looks very simplistic and seems to have no depth to it. It looks odd to me that this supposed the same game that is going to bring us Storybricks and other great innovations.

You do understand the difference between a demo barebones system and a fully fleshed out, complete system right? As of right now in Landmark there are 3 weapons out of upwards of 30 planned for full release in EQN. 6 skills out of a few hundred, didn't show any armour of which there are likely to be many....basically you are judging the game as if it is fully complete and a final product.

Some design decisions (the skill system and the graphics for example) point in the direction that EQN is going to be a rather casual game that is drawing a lot of inspiration from MOBAs.

The skill system is going to be anything near simple considering how they are linking aspects with origins and synergies between skills, equipment and the environment. The graphics (I assume you mean art style) is stylised to ensure longevity to the product rather then to attract a casual audience. there might be a correlation but the decision was made on a lifecyle choice more then anything else.

I don't see how this could at the same time be the next big sandbox mmo. These seem like polar opposites to me.

I still fail to see how your arguments lead you to think there is some sort of polar opposition going on here. Chess is a simple game design but very complex in nature to play. And besides, as I pointed out above, your conclusions seen to be faulty (I assume from lack of research but apologies if that is incorrect).

Maybe SOE is going to make it fit somehow, but maybe not. We can only wait and see what they are going to release. Sometimes it seems to me that they are only toying around with ideas at this point and don't really plan to release anything in the foreseeable future.

I can guarantee you, from first hand conversations, they know where the end is, they know how to get there and they are simply putting it all together. Mostly behind closed doors (the excitement from every dev I spoke to at SOELive was intoxicating, especially when they had a few drinks and let their guard down) but also as Dave Georgeson said "the game is being built right in front of you" via the systems being introduced into Landmark.

Landmark is a great building game but is very far from being a mmorpg. At the moment I see it more as a tech demo.

It also is a long way from finished.

Again, it sounds like you just don't realise where both Landmark and EQN are in the design process or development process. remember, Landmark is currently in closed Beta and EQN hasn't even entered Alpha.

You are sort of complaining that the roast chicken is cold before the chef has stuck it in the oven.

Originally posted by Wizardry

I rather enjoyed WAR. I accepted that it would be another RvR aka CTF & KOH with prettier visuals then DAoC and played for a while. Problem for me was "end game" PVP was rather lacking and their attempt to combine PVP/PVE was pretty crappy. For an instanced arena or battleground PVP, was fun though. Some of the most enjoyable classes I've ever played.

Same could be said for most companies. Look at the other big names in gaming (Blizzard), haven't really done much if you look at the progression. EQN has potential to be great or meh. If the AI and other mechanics/tech work out, could be very "next-gen" but time will tell. PS2 is pretty fun FPS and Landmark has been a great for what it is. Companies can improve.

Not sure where you are getting the linear aspect. So far looks to be pretty far from it. Hence the whole focus on buzzwords like horizontal.