Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQNext world is massive

I looked at the map shown in the AI panel and it describes the portion of mountains that meets Kithicor Woods as 35 different sections. I looked at the same region on the entire world map and the same region is very small compared to the rest of the map maybe 1/50 by my eyes. Forgelight is said to be potentially capable of 128km by 128km or 16400km square km. In perspective. Skyrim is 4.32 mi by 3.42 mi or 14.8 square mi or 38.2 km squared. Thats roughly 1000+ skyrims. That's amazing!

...That's essentially what being smug is. Acting like you're so blatantly right that even the thought of someone disagreeing with you is appallingly stupid and comical. you have a good chance of bullying them into believing you.

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Infantryonline
    I looked at the map shown in the AI panel and it describes the portion of mountains that meets Kithicor Woods as 35 different sections. I looked at the same region on the entire world map and the same region is very small compared to the rest of the map maybe 1/50 by my eyes. Forgelight is said to be potentially capable of 128km by 128km or 16400km square km. In perspective. Skyrim is 4.32 mi by 3.42 mi or 14.8 square mi or 38.2 km squared. Thats roughly 1000+ skyrims. That's amazing!

Yeah, Planetside 2's maps are quite big also. You dont appreciate how big they really are because you have vehicles.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    if game is ugly and boring .. size dosnt matter..
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    The world can't be that big unless they use computer generated content.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• InfantryonlineInfantryonline Member Posts: 113
    the world is procedurally generated with each section having a point of interest. Much like the worlds in landmark only they are not islands but continental landmass

...That's essentially what being smug is. Acting like you're so blatantly right that even the thought of someone disagreeing with you is appallingly stupid and comical. you have a good chance of bullying them into believing you.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Robokapp

EVE world is 120 Light years.

beat that.

Ha Ha Ha.. Good one..  I heard that Elite Dangerous will have 1 billion planets? 

• InfantryonlineInfantryonline Member Posts: 113
    All of that empty space...I don't care about spots on my apples leave me the birds and the bees

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    All of that empty space...I don't care about spots on my apples leave me the birds and the bees

I wouldn't call that empty space..   It is physically impossible to visit every SINGLE planet in Elite Dangerous in a lifetime.. Add in all the possible pirate fights traveling from point A to B..  That is exploration beyond belief..   It will be interesting tho to see how Elite does travel when friends and clans are separated by light years..  Seriously.. go look at some of the video about their galaxy.. 

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Originally posted by fivoroth

The world can't be that big unless they use computer generated content.

Dark and light =40,000sqkm
    It can be done and was like 10 years ago- with seasons no less.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Rydeson

beat that.

Ha Ha Ha.. Good one..  I heard that Elite Dangerous will have 1 billion planets? 

According to the game's FAQ, Elite: Dangerous will be a scientifically accurate representation of the Milky Way galaxy, which is estimated to have at least 100 billion planets and 200-400 billion stars.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

I used to get excited about procedurally generated worlds but I have started changing my opinion.  Nowadays for me it now just means endless repitition of what  I have already seen.  I love worlds with unique structures, races, landmarks, etc..  You do not get this in procedurally generated worlds.  What is the point of exploring a vast nothingness?   Give me regular updates that add interesting content and landmasses every time.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by kosac
    if game is ugly and boring .. size dosnt matter..

That's what she said...

But for reals, I hope this game is good.  It's EQ and EQ1 was probably tied for 3rd most favorite MMO.  The only problem I have with it is that SOE seems to be going in a totally different direction than EQ1, which I guess can be good, but I'm not sold yet.  Plus there's SOE's track record.  I've said for the longest time, nothing SOE will touch my hard drive, but it's hard to resist EQN

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Flizzer

You are correct about generated worlds if the developer doesn't change the world after it's been generated.

EQN specifically was seeded via a musical algorithm which means it can get bigger with more hardware. Previous to SoE Live '13 they had already procedurally created EQN's Norrath and had begun changing certain landscapes.

The one benefit of procedural generation is the time and/or money it saves on development. Plus, the landscapes can be more realistic, depending.
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

beat that.

Not 1 billion plantets but aprox 200 billion starsystems.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Torgrim

beat that.

Not 1 billion plantets but aprox 200 billion starsystems.

Hmm 200 billion star

To think: If you were to visit one of those star systems every second, it would take you over 6300 years to see them all.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128

beat that.

lol This deserves a +1

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Don't believe until you see it...
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

I wouldn't call that empty space..   It is physically impossible to visit every SINGLE planet in Elite Dangerous in a lifetime.. Add in all the possible pirate fights traveling from point A to B..  That is exploration beyond belief..   It will be interesting tho to see how Elite does travel when friends and clans are separated by light years..  Seriously.. go look at some of the video about their galaxy.. 

I haven't looked into the game beyond quickly reading the general info page and watching a few vids. Are you able to actually visit the planets or simply fly around them? Actually sort of interested in one these flight sim type games, but ED and Star Citizen seem to be way too single player for what I'd like. Much like most mmorpgs these days, single player that just happens to have other single players around. Can you actually see other players at any point or is it just ship to ship viewing?

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Thats all well and good but how large can they get the world after moving to voxels? The islands of Landmark are really small and still it has issues ( not mentioning the horrible LOD for distant terrain / objects ). Until I see some world fly overs from EQN of a giant well crafted world I will hold out on having any hope.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by SlyLoK
    Originally posted by Infantryonline I looked at the map shown in the AI panel and it describes the portion of mountains that meets Kithicor Woods as 35 different sections. I looked at the same region on the entire world map and the same region is very small compared to the rest of the map maybe 1/50 by my eyes. Forgelight is said to be potentially capable of 128km by 128km or 16400km square km. In perspective. Skyrim is 4.32 mi by 3.42 mi or 14.8 square mi or 38.2 km squared. Thats roughly 1000+ skyrims. That's amazing!
    Thats all well and good but how large can they get the world after moving to voxels? The islands of Landmark are really small and still it has issues ( not mentioning the horrible LOD for distant terrain / objects ). Until I see some world fly overs from EQN of a giant well crafted world I will hold out on having any hope.

After moving to voxels? lol. They are already using voxels.

They can make the worlds as large as they want without any impact from voxels because there is only a certain "Scope" to what has to be rendered at any given time.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

beat that.

... of empty space.

Amazing how easy it is to design ... nothing!

You stay sassy!

• CertheGreatCertheGreat Member UncommonPosts: 29
    #Don'tbelievethehype2014!
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by SlyLoK

Originally posted by Infantryonline I looked at the map shown in the AI panel and it describes the portion of mountains that meets Kithicor Woods as 35 different sections. I looked at the same region on the entire world map and the same region is very small compared to the rest of the map maybe 1/50 by my eyes. Forgelight is said to be potentially capable of 128km by 128km or 16400km square km. In perspective. Skyrim is 4.32 mi by 3.42 mi or 14.8 square mi or 38.2 km squared. Thats roughly 1000+ skyrims. That's amazing!

After moving to voxels? lol. They are already using voxels.

They can make the worlds as large as they want without any impact from voxels because there is only a certain "Scope" to what has to be rendered at any given time.

You misread what I said.. I am talking about what they had going for EQN prior to moving to voxels. If there isnt a performance hit then explain why Landmark runs like crap? On top of that as you move the game streams in new voxel sections which also causes a performance hit. Then that brings up the problem of how terrible the LOD at distance is... I wouldnt be surprised in the least if EQN gets scrapped again.

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by Tamanous

beat that.

... of empty space.

Amazing how easy it is to design ... nothing!

Yes, that's what space is like.

Observe.

http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

That was awesome!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Don't believe until you see it...

true. Those billions and millions are just PR hype. The game will not have 200 billion anything, it will most likely generate as you go. So expect a LOT of the same over and over. Companies love to count the same things as extra content.

EDIT: i thought you were talking about Elite:Dangerous like other posters here. But yeah, same for EQN, believe it when i see it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다