Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazing article detailing the innovation of EQN and Storybricks

1789101113»

Comments

• InfantryonlineInfantryonline Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by mhallqvist
    Originally posted by Infantryonline

It didn’t make sense to have static quests in an evolving world.

The map in the storybricks demo could represent large regions or small regions like a cursed temple could be a region. You could affect that temple which then creates values that affects a regions which then creates values that affects a country which then creates values that affects the world. Seems larger than life.

For example if the evil god that is buried in the cursed temple is awakened it may affect a region larger than the temple. If that god starts a religion it could affect the whole country or world. Very cool.

It’s like overlapping spheres of influences which affects larger or smaller areas

Can I miss content? Yes but there will always be content. There is no scripted content, you are participating in a changing world. This will be problematic for completionists since it will no longer will be realistically possible to do everything. There will always be too much to do and you will never be able to finish all of it. When you log in next there will be different stuff to do.

The more you do for certain factions the more they will ask of you. You can declare that there are things that you care about in the world and invest in that. We know what people of a certain organization wants and if you invest in an organization you will get that kind of content. This means that you can tailor your experience to your playstyle. And Rohsong will tell you hints to where you can engage in tailored content. A GPS that doesn't kill the game awesome.

When you invest in a faction you will get deeper story, but you will also get access to classes, advanced items and things that the developers couldn’t talk about. “I improved my story as much as my character.” Im hoping the items are based on lore like an ancient sect of druids can give a powerful magic item.

There is an idea to put the Rohsong online and share it so other people could see your story. There is also an idea to let the Rohsong show only short text or go into a lot more detail about your story. You can also go to a place and learn the story and history of that place. You could for example learn that the nature essence has gone from a region due to devastation and you might be able to work to bringing it back. Oh wow, immersive and motivational for any Rper.

The lore, design and the AI is three components of the same thing. Even if the content is generated SOE still would want the lore and story.

If you want to find out what happens in neighbouring areas you could for example go to a tavern and NPC could tell you. Also immersive

The world shows the state it’s in. If the NPC:S are sick they look sick, if they are famished they looked famished. If they are attacked they are afraid and try to barricade themselves

NPC can react to how you look. If you have a religious item on you NPC can assume that you support the values of that religion and react differently. If for example you look like a knight of justice an NPC can tell you about a justice quest. How cool

If an NPC will get clothes of a queen like in the night elf demo she will act like a queen and other NPC:s will start treating her like the queen. The player could wear the same clothes and get the same response. This will enable a lot role playing. Items you find could could make NPC:s react differently to you and for example different night elves could react differently. I heard when wearing a guild tabbard from your guild if your guild has done opposing things to an npc merchant he will refuse to sell you things.

Things that dictates NPC behaviour is among other race, emotions, group belonging, location and traits. An example could be a greedy priest, a violent priest.

Resources are at the heart of this system and we have only shown a few of them but there are resources that are not tied to stuff you can find in the world like gems. It could be security, honor, justice or chaos. If there for example is no stability in the region, well monsters like that alot. Did you catch the UI interface in the storybricks? It seems npcs can choose what they do with those "resources" like a RTS and change and affect the physical and content world of the game. Very nice and they will probably be dozens of "resources". They said it took months, but they finally have everything that world considers to care about. They said it was hard work.

One npc won’t decide that he/she will move from a town but we can have a sim city approach like your level of happiness is not high enough so 10% of the population will move and will not be there anymore. Once again im tired of quest hubs so nice.

Organization can change relationship between each other. It works in the same way as relationships between players and organizations.

We don’t want to gate content. We don’t want you  not being able to talk to the orcs if you are friends with the elfs. But the elfs will give you more content and a deeper story.

If you want to make your story about helping farmers for the next 10 years you can do that and travel around the world and help farmers. You will be the farmers hero.

What if I’m the middle of a quest and can’t log on for a couple of days and most other people are working in another direction? Then you might not be able to finish your quest. If you are in a location where there is a large amount of player you are part of a community and the will of that community will shape that location. Next step in Realm vs Realm where there are dozens of factions and you compete in the same world. Very nice.

Something a lot of players worry about is that a certain group will ruin the experience for everyone else?I don’t think that a small portion of players can ruin the fun for everyone since the world is big and the forces in the world are large as well. That being said the first months of a launch is often plagued by some bugs and you might need to put some checks and balances in place. But if a large amount of players want something this will happen and lead to other events and stories. Great stuff. Not worried about griefers though

Do you expect servers to develop personalities? Yes the world will become a reflection of the population on that server. I have a feeling the paladins are going to be exiled. That gives me a reason to log in. Great stuff.

We don’t want to lead players into traps but there could be action will lead to bad results. Like if you kill all dryads the forest could become much dangerous. We could give hints like NPC:s saying that I remember before the dryads came and how dangerous it was. Choices are only choices when they are informed. I like how in LOTRO (The movie not the game) everything matters. Its great to see that impact in a game. 

Indirect pvp, players are working on opposing goals. There could be direct pvp for players interested in that, it’s not the focus of the experience right now. Your actions would matter to other players to. If you have a group of players collection food resources for an army one method to thwart that is that you could burn the food, poison the food and let them deliver it or take the food for you own army. Cool pvp, you could "spoil" quests for them. This is beyond immersion. THis is realistic.

The game will in general be harder the further away from civilization you are since it would be less secure. Wonderful

Now this is worth 100$ to get into the game. So much immersion and the combat and itemization is a game within a game I heard someone say it rivals Heathstone though i think the devs said it was like Magic: The Gathering. Great stuff. I can't wait until they release more info on this game.

...That's essentially what being smug is. Acting like you're so blatantly right that even the thought of someone disagreeing with you is appallingly stupid and comical. you have a good chance of bullying them into believing you.

So many little kids will buy Diablo 3 and just say cool without knowing how much of a disappointment it was compared to Diablo 2 but they'll never see that...

Also, shameless bump post

...That's essentially what being smug is. Acting like you're so blatantly right that even the thought of someone disagreeing with you is appallingly stupid and comical. you have a good chance of bullying them into believing you.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Infantryonline

So many little kids will buy Diablo 3 and just say cool without knowing how much of a disappointment it was compared to Diablo 2 but they'll never see that...

Also, shameless bump post

I enjoy D3 on console quite a lot. Been a Diablo fan since 96 and each game has come with it's own pros/cons. D3 on PC and console are almost different experiences for me. Have both, but only play on console because I can enjoy it with my wife, with my feet up and no need to click click click click.

So many old folks won't realize that it is okay to like different things and something doesn't have to be exactly the same to be "good" compared to what came before. As someone that seems to be in full on fanboi status for EQN (I'm not far behind you), would think you'd get that.

Those expecting to relive the past are likely to be disappointed as it isn't really possible.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    I think the link speaks a lot about the game...

This is like watching a novelist create characters with a drive and a purpose (which would give them a soul or emotions) and then writing a plot for them (which is the quests) to tell a story (this is the storybrick :) )

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    It's better than seeing Joe Farmer stand in the same spot for n years waiting for adventurer #203,938,839 feed, or kill, his pigs. Of course there will be glitches and bugs to work out but giving NPCs reasons to move around and interact with things or players is great.

The reaction will be nice as well, seeing NPCs change what they are doing because of what goes on around them. At the base level it's just a spreadsheet list of reactions. Comparing those lists with a system that tracks it all while players put pressures here and there. Sounds better than what I can play now.

Save me the doom and gloom. I lose nothing by being excited and I'll stake more who's careers are working on this stuff than someone on a forum. If it doesn't work, eh, oh well on to the next hope :)

That said another video is set next week. Looking forward to seeing it!
    [mod edit]

...Thats actually what a storybrick is as presented by the creators in a presentation July 2014. Drive, Emotion, Plot, Story. Im not making this up. Drive and Emotion is the back end and plot is the middle, story is the right end. Story fits into other bricks hence the case of emergent storytelling where the pieces link up with the drive and emotion of the other end. Lol you should educate yourself. You would learn.

I can't even read your post correctly. It is told when we walk into talk people will be doing different things. guards training, people building siege weapons, people chopping wood, Bards having arguments etc. What you saw was a demo. And its probably all they could show at that time.

I watched at least 6 different Storybricks videos at least 2-3 times and i follow Storybricks since May...I have been following this game for since Oct 2012. I doubt you know anything about dedication. Im not afraid to say what needs to be said when a lot of people spread misinformation and talk about things they have no right to talk about given the fact they are not equipped to judge something they have no idea works. I know how Storybricks works. I know how your storybricks divert into another storybrick meaning you can have possibly 2-3-4 outcomes of the original quest depending on what you do during the plot. Theyve told me indirectly through videos what storybricks can potentially and realistically do and they stated they are constantly improving even beyond what they can already do. It all starts with the npc having needs and wants, now visualize the left part of a puzzle piece with a hole. Through needs an npc can develop a want through interaction with the world through triggers. Like a knoll that ecounters a gold ore. Hidden triggers can also cause that gnoll to ask a human to mein that ore. the trigger would be an objective like quest, the design would be placing a pickaxe nearby or anywhere in the world really, you can complete the simple quest and recieve faction or reward because he tells other gnolls. Thats a very simple example.