Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eve Solo PVP = Rock Paper Scissors Isk

F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349

I have played eve since 2010, playing mostly in null and have plenty of group combat experence. Group pvp is all eve has to offer, as 1v1 fights are 99% of the time predetermined based on ship type. I have had countless fights in FW over the last few months giving solo pvp a real try. I am afraid I was right all along and have wasted my time trying to get out of the blob and not have a FC basically flying my ship for me.

Solo pvp in eve:

1) Control+click ship in overview

2) Press F1

3) Wait

------

Outcome = Which ship type has the weapons or resists that counter the other, EXCEPT when one ship is fitted with more expensive modules, or is a faction ship that has a greater base price.

So its rock paper scissors + isk spent

In 2014 does a game without any player skill in 1v1 battles really have any future at all?

My Answer:  No. It will continue to loose more and more subs as it has been the last few years. Online player count is lower now than it has since 2010. CCP only makes small changes and will never reinvent combat mechanics.

Comments

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by Sketch420

I have played eve since 2010, playing mostly in null and have plenty of group combat experence. Group pvp is all eve has to offer, as 1v1 fights are 99% of the time predetermined based on ship type. I have had countless fights in FW over the last few months giving solo pvp a real try. I am afraid I was right all along and have wasted my time trying to get out of the blob and not have a FC basically flying my ship for me.

The skill obviously comes in planning and outfitting your ship and skills properly to counter the other guy. It's called strategy and tactics.  Hard to believe you've actually played the game for 4 years and don't realize this. EVE is a strategy game. Not a twitch combat game. That doesn't mean there's no "skill" involved in it. Quite the opposite there's quite a lot of skill involved in learning and remembering all the different variables and preparing for a fight well.

• Sorry but I don't buy it. I don't believe that you play this game for 4 years. This is why we play this game. Eve is not a game that combat matters or fastest player always wins. Eve is a pure strategy game. The skill that you're talking about lies in the preparation period. You need to think about all possibilities, learn really how to play and remember all the different variables. This is why we love this game. Deal with it.

• F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349

Why is it that most people that claim to be elite solo pvpers always fly the most expensive ship types the can in Factional Warfare? Most the guys I've seen that play eve solo are nolifers that are rich in real life and can buy all the isk they want, or spend all day grinding isk to fly the most expensive ships possible to avoid the rock paper scissors aspect of the game and simply out isk their opponents.

However, like I said in my OP there is nothing wrong with group fights in eve, and there is certainly player skill involved for the FC, however as a peon taking orders from a FC you are basically letting someone else play the game for you. Most eve players only pvp in groups, and in my opinion when your taking orders you aren't really even playing the game. You may aswell be watching a stream of the fight rather than be there, as either way you won't be contributing anything mental or player skill wise to the fights.

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258

Uhm wut

Solo pvp in eve is actually one of the most skill intensive parts of the game. Prior to preparation (fitting your ship), you must be aware of which things you can kill, how a certain ship is generally fitted from the blink of an eye and how to deal with multiple people chasing you. ANd yes there is quite a bit of finesse in terms of managing your heat, squeezing every little bit of advantage, managing capacitor, manual piloting when kiting and knowing how to slingshot other people based on their current speed and direction. You must always be vigilant of dscan and local, and always have a plan to get the way out because you will often be outnumbered. It involves a lot of good timing and taking advantage of opportunities and mistakes you find from other players. They are small things but they add up very quickly.

There are literally hundreds of solo PVP movies on youtube, and several tutorials and tips. To say it's a completly skillless activity is quite silly. You should learn a few things before comenting on it tbh

Here's a good start:

Don't think that throwing shitty t1 frigates at eachother  and pressing approachin FW is any indication of what soloing is like.

• F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by uplink4242

Uhm wut

Solo pvp in eve is actually one of the most skill intensive parts of the game. Prior to preparation (fitting your ship), you must be aware of which things you can kill, how a certain ship is generally fitted from the blink of an eye and how to deal with multiple people chasing you. ANd yes there is quite a bit of finesse in terms of managing your heat, squeezing every little bit of advantage, managing capacitor, manual piloting when kiting and knowing how to slingshot other people based on their current speed and direction. You must always be vigilant of dscan and local, and always have a plan to get the way out because you will often be outnumbered. It involves a lot of good timing and taking advantage of opportunities and mistakes you find from other players. They are small things but they add up very quickly.

There are literally hundreds of solo PVP movies on youtube, and several tutorials and tips. To say it's a completly skillless activity is quite silly. You should learn a few things before comenting on it tbh

Here's a good start:

Don't think that throwing shitty t1 frigates at eachother  and pressing approachin FW is any indication of what soloing is like.

I don't consider planning, and picking only targets that your ship is made to counter player skill. Pressing a dscan button to check for hostiles requires no skill. Warping to a safe bookmark if you are being chased is not skill. Overheating modules takes no skill, if you think pressing the overheat button at the only logical time to do so takes skill you must find real life very difficult.

Sorry you seem desperate to defend the game we both play, so much so that you make illogical arguments. 

If you really think only fighting what your ship is made to kill is skillful pvp, you must be not be very bright.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Ofc they are skills. The majority of human skills do not involve twitching really quickly and hitting keys within 100 ms.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Originally posted by uplink4242

Uhm wut

Here's a good start:

I don't consider planning, and picking only targets that your ship is made to counter player skill. Pressing a dscan button to check for hostiles requires no skill. Warping to a safe bookmark if you are being chased is not skill. Overheating modules takes no skill, if you think pressing the overheat button at the only logical time to do so takes skill you must find real life very difficult.

Sorry you seem desperate to defend the game we both play, so much so that you make illogical arguments. 

If you really think only fighting what your ship is made to kill is skillful pvp, you must be not be very bright.

By your logic every single mmo out there takes no skills because it's mostly about mashing buttons and rotations. Chess takes no skills, I mean moving a piece is so easy anyone can do it.

Mechanical skill is not the only thing there is in games you know. Eve has zero mechanical skill to it.

If solo pvp was so easy as you think then you wouldn't see so many people failing at it. Engaging on multiple people at the same time takes deep understanding of the game and split second DECISIONS, more than a fleet would most of the time. And these decisions are the base of what we call 'skill' in this game, the difference in solo is that you are the one who has to take these decisions, not listen to your FC and press f1 when asked. That explains your confusion.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533
    I briefly read the OP posting history. Noticed that they try every pvp centric game and when they realize they aren't as good as they think they are they begin to trash the game.
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

That's one thing I didn't like about Eve. You don't control the physical movement of your ship. you just right-click and select options. This whole flying circles around each other is silly. Have you ever watched ship battles (other than one-man fighters) where the ships were doing a circle-jerk around each other? No, ship engagements are a bit more strategic with moves being important and having big ramifications.

It's been a long time, but does EVE even have weapon firing arcs? I don't think so.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Just like the battleships fighting in world war 2 :). There are many many twitch games, eve offers something different that undoubtedly works and had considerable depth.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Weapon firing arcs? Your thinking about a different game.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533
    Originally posted by Arclan

That's one thing I didn't like about Eve. You don't control the physical movement of your ship. you just right-click and select options. This whole flying circles around each other is silly. Have you ever watched ship battles (other than one-man fighters) where the ships were doing a circle-jerk around each other? No, ship engagements are a bit more strategic with moves being important and having big ramifications.

It's been a long time, but does EVE even have weapon firing arcs? I don't think so.

Where do you live that you are able to watch space ships dog-fight?

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by Arclan

Ship positioning in EVE is incredibly important. There is falloff and weapon tracking that needs to be taking into account at certain ranges. You can't just take a rail ship and roll up to someone and hit orbit at 5km you'd get your hull melted. YOu dont just warp in ECM ships at 0 km and survive you really do need to manouver in combat to be hitting in your optimal outside of their optimal and scram ranges and inside your disrupter range still and still creating transversal to avoid direct hits to your own hull. Its all about calculated choices and risk management and execution of capitalizing on someone elses mistakes. That is what the skill is in decision making,planning,execution and flying smart.

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Just like the battleships fighting in world war 2 :). There are many many twitch games, eve offers something different that undoubtedly works and had considerable depth.

Yea i've always viewed EVE as a WWII naval simulator with teh sci-fi skin and theme. Love it to death

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Just....lol.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

I have played eve since 2010, playing mostly in null and have plenty of group combat experence.

Solo pvp in eve:

2) Press F1

3) Wait

------

Playing since 2010 hardly does you  put into the veterans corner.

That said.....playing since beta (teehee) you couldnt be more wrong about solo pvp.

If you encountered solo PVP as lock and press F1 and wait for the income I can sense that you lost the vast majority of your fights.

If not: you had the luck of picking unknowing newbs as opponents.

Because as every EVE pvp vet would know if you just lock and press F1+wait would make you canonfodder.

You have absolutely no knowledge of solo pvp in EVE.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Why is it when people lose lots of fights the other guy anyways had better gear and that's the only reason they won? EVE is a game that is fairly easy to match your opponent gear for gear in once you've trained the skills.

I doubt many people in FW fight in anything beyond T2, if that even, and yes you should be able to earn enough ISK in game assuming you aren't just throwing away your ships.

OP does realize in EVE it's more important to not lose your ship than to try and win a hopeless fight right?

In EVE you don't fight for "fun", it's win or go home broke.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Why is it when people lose lots of fights the other guy anyways had better gear and that's the only reason they won?

Because it is the only reason usually? Either that or you got zerged.

Originally posted by zzax
    Why is it when people lose lots of fights the other guy anyways had better gear and that's the only reason they won?

Because it is the only reason usually? Either that or you got zerged.

If you're losing lots of fight you are choosing poorly, have no scout, have no gtfo ability with how your fitting your ships and you are you are just plain poor.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Why is it when people lose lots of fights the other guy anyways had better gear and that's the only reason they won? EVE is a game that is fairly easy to match your opponent gear for gear in once you've trained the skills.

I doubt many people in FW fight in anything beyond T2, if that even, and yes you should be able to earn enough ISK in game assuming you aren't just throwing away your ships.

OP does realize in EVE it's more important to not lose your ship than to try and win a hopeless fight right?

Back in Bob, PL and Ncdot we used to fight for lolz, and even knowing we would los ein the end just humiliate the opponent that was blobbing us 1:10 just by making them look bad.

So yes, there are ppl that PVP for fun. Could care less if my titan, super or whatever boat I own gets popped, as long as it isn't killed in a PVE session or in some retarded way like a bug or crash.

Ships are meant to be destroyed, ALL of them.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by Muke

Back in Bob, PL and Ncdot we used to fight for lolz, and even knowing we would los ein the end just humiliate the opponent that was blobbing us 1:10 just by making them look bad.

So yes, there are ppl that PVP for fun. Could care less if my titan, super or whatever boat I own gets popped, as long as it isn't killed in a PVE session or in some retarded way like a bug or crash.

I agree with Muke here. There's all kinds of PVP going on in EVE. Granted, in some strategic operations you may not have much fun, and you will just focus on your objectives to get a victory for your alliance/coalition.

However, I often engage in some corp/alliance roams that are purely for fun, and all we want then is a fight, even if we get back home in our pods.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by Muke

NOOOOOOOOO! All but mine!

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Wyrdfell

Sorry but I don't buy it. I don't believe that you play this game for 4 years. This is why we play this game. Eve is not a game that combat matters or fastest player always wins. Eve is a pure strategy game. The skill that you're talking about lies in the preparation period. You need to think about all possibilities, learn really how to play and remember all the different variables. This is why we love this game. Deal with it.

Allow me to translate the OP for you:

"I blapped red crosses for 3 years, 11 months and 27 days then took my faction fit pirate battleship into lo-sec and promptly got murdered by someone who knew how to fly his ship in PvP. Therefore EVE is bad."

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• EvgireonEvgireon Member Posts: 71

Solo pvp in eve:

2) Press F1

3) Wait

------

Outcome = Which ship type has the weapons or resists that counter the other, EXCEPT when one ship is fitted with more expensive modules, or is a faction ship that has a greater base price.

So its rock paper scissors + isk spent

In 2014 does a game without any player skill in 1v1 battles really have any future at all?

My Answer:  No. It will continue to loose more and more subs as it has been the last few years. Online player count is lower now than it has since 2010. CCP only makes small changes and will never reinvent combat mechanics.

So how do you calculate "rock paper scissors + isk" in a situation when a player in a t1 frigate pwns a carebear in a faction fit navy raven?

• UccisoreUccisore Member UncommonPosts: 96

I don't consider planning, and picking only targets that your ship is made to counter player skill.

Well then you are foolish.  

This discussion has been closed.