Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the Everquest Franchise the biggest competitor to Blizzards mmo(s)?

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Infantryonline
    Anyone who doesn't think EQNext can challenge WoW  is just kidding themselves. We have Emergent AI and formidable dev team. You have a legion of idiots who just say "No!" who won't eat the peas with the carrots. Good luck being the "weirdo" in two years. I hope your headphones can block off the ridicule when your in panda cartoon land or orc cartoon land. I hope Blizzard makes warcraft 4 and stops fuckin with the kids already. Its going to be embarrassing when these philosophies go head to head. We're gonna make old timers out of little boys. Somebody's got to cater to their interests though. Blizzard is going to be the only game company that stoops low enough because noone else will. You might as well give your future money to them now. So if and when you retire late. Someone is always there to take your money. We know that. Maybe you'll enter the Real World but welcome to capitalism..........lol

First of all, if we're talking about "being real", what reason does anyone have to think that any MMO will compete with WoW? There has been one after another that was touted to "Topple WoW" and all have failed. 

See, those who are actually reasonable understand that WoW has EXTREME staying power and that they actually have a bunch of cards up their sleeve that could simply decimate competition. One of those is F2P. That is actually a big positive for EQN and it's probably one reason I'll play EQN, IN ADDITION TO WoW. 

Secondly, WoW still runs on older hardware. As it stands right now, in it's unoptimized form, Landmark runs like crap on even a 2 year-old system. Wildstar had similar issues, some of which actually carried over to release. I don't expect these same sorts of problems with EQN, but they'll have to draw the line somewhere between how they want their game presented and how they want it to perform and, honestly, right now it seems more about presentation, which could cut off a huge segment of the market.

Finally, whether it's intentional or not, a WoW Expansion can crush you. If they were really that concerned about EQN they could offer a free, full expansion with a free character to max level and drop the expansion on the same day that EQN releases and it would seriously hurt EQN. It wouldn't kill it, but it would force EQN to be resilient and ride out the expansion (which they can probably do).

Will EQN be a viable competitor to WoW? Yeah, for sure. It'll probably be my #2. However, it will need to figure out how to monetize their users outside of subscriptions in order to maximize their revenues while WoW is still popular (see SWTOR and Rift). Then, EQ has always been a major competitor for WoW, so it's not really like we're breaking new ground here. 

As far as cartoons go......... you are 100% totally right....... I really love how EQN's trying for that ultra-realism........ yes, that was sarcasm. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    No other dev is going to risk developing a MMO now with focus on raiding after wildstar, the format is dead. This means those addicted to the power ladder in wow will never leave - probably for another decade if blizzard have their way. Poor souls.

Games preWoW were alot different to games nowadays and there clones, so 75% or so of the population has never experienced anything different from WoW/Clones and seems EQN has some familiarities of those older games so who knows they may love those system along with the new ones only time will tell weather or not EQN hits the mark from what they been saying bout it there getting close to that lets hope they can pull off everything there saying even half of what there saying would do a great deal to the genre imo

• AndriiAndrii Member Posts: 13

WoW is already dead. The genre no longer looks to WoW for secrets to large subscribers. Millions of people still play it but the next enjoyable MMOs will not be taking queues from Blizzard. The industry has moved on. We should too. In my mind, WoW is no more relevant to the future of MMOs than RIFT or Aion.

EQN and Landmark will make waves because they incorporate completely new technology and a complete rethink of the genre. They will both enjoy at the bare minimum a modicum of success because SOE has such a large, loyal fan base. 

Will EQN be the next big thing? Who even knows. But you better believe I'll be buying a founders pack for EQN to have my voice heard in where the direction of the game ends up. 

---------------------------
    SOE Community Council Member 2014
    Landmark Representative
    Twitter: @AndriiMMO
    "Decisions are made by those who show up."
    - President Josiah Bartlett

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Title stated. I noticed the Warlords of Dreanor cinematic event was released on Aug 14. August 16 during the keynotes in SOE live talk of World of Warcraft 2 was a news article in gamespot even though they are not close to making another one. Just simply stated they have talked about it 10 years ago. A worthless news article.  WoD is set to launch 11/13 while Altar of Malice is set to launch 11/11. Do you think Blizzard is herding their children? Project Titan was setback and reiterated on to wait on better technology and is set to be ready hopefully after EQ Next. I also follow lots of Everquest Next devs and "blizzard careers" keeps popping up on my add friends list. All this clever marketing for the fact that every 6 months from now World of Warcraft will lose  a million people and  Draenor being the same game that lost 900,000 in three months it won't stop bleeding so they see Everquest as a potential foe by the time Next launches. Is WoW doomed for just item grinding while Next promises adventure gameplay and a storylines you create beyond a narrative?

It is pretty evident that the only thing that will bring WoW down is Blizzard.  None of it's competitors has chiseled away at WoW, Blizzard itself has chiseled away at WoW.  And it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this was not part of a grand scheme to wean it's player base off of WoW in order to make it easier for the transition into a new gaming genre that isn't even remotely like WoW.

EQNext to WoW is like the XBox One to the PS4... forever chasing but never leading.  Again, WoW will topple when Blizzard topples it... and that will be of their own doing, not some competitor.  And I personally believe that when it does happen, they will have a replacement even greater than the entire WoW franchise to date waiting in the wings... because they've been working on it for well over 10 years.  And if they are smart, and we know they are smart, it won't remotely resemble anything that they delivered to us before.  What is EQNext... a fancier version of the past.  The next big thing isn't going to remind of the past, it will be something no one saw coming.

• InfantryonlineInfantryonline Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Anyone who doesn't think EQNext can challenge WoW  is just kidding themselves. We have Emergent AI and formidable dev team. You have a legion of idiots who just say "No!" who won't eat the peas with the carrots. Good luck being the "weirdo" in two years. I hope your headphones can block off the ridicule when your in panda cartoon land or orc cartoon land. I hope Blizzard makes warcraft 4 and stops fuckin with the kids already. Its going to be embarrassing when these philosophies go head to head. We're gonna make old timers out of little boys. Somebody's got to cater to their interests though. Blizzard is going to be the only game company that stoops low enough because noone else will. You might as well give your future money to them now. So if and when you retire late. Someone is always there to take your money. We know that. I know you "hardcore" marxists would enjoy that. But before i leave let me say one thing. Welcome to capitalism..........lol

The irony in that statement is very thick.

Yeah lets ignore the wow rebutals that couldn't come up with a decent informative counter-argument over facts and informed statements other than refusing to acknowlege the facts and projecting authority all over this thread. Now you inject some much needed intellectualism and fail to see that you don't progress logic that you fail to see you have no place. And im supposed to ignore the fact that you are doing what everyone WoW person is doing because you profress knowledge that really isn't knowledge but your own opinion?

State your opinion instead of being subtle about it. Not only does it make it more clearer but it gives the person a chance to understand it is opinion. "i think you what you are saying cannot be in terms with reality because of this...."

...That's essentially what being smug is. Acting like you're so blatantly right that even the thought of someone disagreeing with you is appallingly stupid and comical. you have a good chance of bullying them into believing you.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

Yeah lets ignore the wow rebutals that couldn't come up with a decent informative counter-argument over facts and informed statements other than refusing to acknowlege the facts and projecting authority all over this thread. Now you inject some much needed intellectualism and fail to see that you don't progress logic that you fail to see you have no place. And im supposed to ignore the fact that you are doing what everyone WoW person is doing because you profress knowledge that really isn't knowledge but your own opinion?

I am on your side with backing LM and EQN but I have to ask....

WTF did you just say?

Originally posted by Maelwydd

WTF did you just say?

It clearly says i was replying to dudeface. Sometimes you got read the original text in the box

...That's essentially what being smug is. Acting like you're so blatantly right that even the thought of someone disagreeing with you is appallingly stupid and comical. you have a good chance of bullying them into believing you.

WTF did you just say?

It clearly says i was replying to dudeface. Sometimes you got read the original text in the box

No, I think that he's literally asking wtf you just said. You're quite literally making about as much sense as a drunk uncle on Thanksgiving. After dinner. 

Also, feel free to ignore actual valid, logical arguments that don't support your own agenda and continue on saying that everyone here are just wow fanboys. It really does help contribute to the ever-growing irony of your thread. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    OP is gonna /wrists when EQN turns out to be a steaming pile. The bigger the hype, the harder the fall.
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

WTF did you just say?

No, I think that he's literally asking wtf you just said. You're quite literally making about as much sense as a drunk uncle on Thanksgiving. After dinner. 

Also, feel free to ignore actual valid, logical arguments that don't support your own agenda and continue on saying that everyone here are just wow fanboys. It really does help contribute to the ever-growing irony of your thread. 

Yeah seeing how i responded to the first set of trolls ill make response now. Part 2.

You act like WoW has some magical formula. You simply haven't played better games or games that challenged you. You knew the pradicament and went along for the ride because guess what? Its a wow clone. which never innovated past EQ but made the formula of EQ and better. WoW didn't clone any game other  than EQ. You responses are comical seeing how you act like you can't be touched when that you have no right to be touched. Well, guess what? Where the fuck do you think you are right now? You are on the internet. Its hilarious you think you can just stop all the clamor and be civil when you refuse to acknowlege what ive said before. So I force an argument for the sake of information being spread. This is the next step games should take. . Its not even should because its already being made. The movement is in an unstoppable motion lest Smedley gets killed. So heads up. This will COME your way in 2 years time than the whole atmosphere things will change. Hear that ? A new new MMO was released. They are usually Big Things for your game of choice. Say for instance, wow. So don't act like it won't affect things. companies will be changing their gears every time one of these releases. Its inevitable That Next releases and simply stated this will be a competitor to your mmo. Regardless of what you project user base. This is brand new to the genre. So 1 word answers like no are not welcomed. Sorry i dont give what is said here but to act like youre authority is ridiculous

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Blizzard always seems to have news around competitor's big news/releases. It's brilliant marketing.

Will EQN seriously challenge WoW? If it can release as billed it's possible to a point, more than other titles before it. The reason would be being so different in gameplay design and urge to log in. You wont know which events you will miss. SoE has admitted talking about ways to revisit Rallying Calls missed but moment by moment happenings will change and evolve day buy day.

This is the biggest challenge MMOs have, to keep people logging in. Why is there a trend of people leaving WoW for a new title only to go back? Part of that IMO is being able to consume the content in 1-3 months and being "done" so you go back to your home. EQN seems to have an answer to this.

Another is how different EQN is from WoW. If an MMO is like WoW how can one expect people not to go back to something just like WoW when that has been their comfort zone. Yes, there is a line being accepted if it's far different but being a F2P anyone can try it. Plus it shares a lot of similar tropes but the gameplay could be just different enough to entice WoW fans.

An underlying factor is performance and smoothness of movement. A large subset of gamers can play WoW due to technical specs. How far down the tech ladder cam EQN go? That will be a large deciding factor of popularity. If you can't play, you can't play no matter how good it is. The smoothness does seem to be there though and Landmark has great animations IMO.

Verdict tl,Dr
    EQN has a chance to take a lot of WoW players but there are too many unverified factors at the moment.
  • Gregor999Gregor999 Member Posts: 86
    After combat was released in Landmark the only thing EQN will be competing with is Neverwinter.
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

WTF did you just say?

Yeah seeing how i responded to the first set of trolls ill make response now. Part 2.

You act like WoW has some magical formula. You simply haven't played better games or games that challenged you. You knew the pradicament and went along for the ride because guess what? Its a wow clone. which never innovated past EQ but made the formula of EQ and better. WoW didn't clone any game other  than EQ. You responses are comical seeing how you act like you can't be touched when that you have no right to be touched. Well, guess what? Where the fuck do you think you are right now? You are on the internet. Its hilarious you think you can just stop all the clamor and be civil when you refuse to acknowlege what ive said before. So I force an argument for the sake of information being spread. This is the next step games should take. . Its not even should because its already being made. The movement is in an unstoppable motion lest Smedley gets killed. So heads up. This will COME your way in 2 years time than the whole atmosphere things will change. Hear that ? A new new MMO was released. They are usually Big Things for your game of choice. Say for instance, wow. So don't act like it won't affect things. companies will be changing their gears every time one of these releases. Its inevitable That Next releases and simply stated this will be a competitor to your mmo. Regardless of what you project user base. This is brand new to the genre. So 1 word answers like no are not welcomed. Sorry i dont give what is said here but to act like youre authority is ridiculous

I honestly cannot understand what you are saying. Your posts read like a psycho stalker explaining to a judge how you and Tom Hanks are in love, he just doesn't know it yet...

For the sake of this discussion, please slow down, calm down, think rational, and explain clearly.

As for the "Everquest Franchise being the biggest competitor to Blizzard's MMO(s)".....SWTOR, for example, has more players than EQ1 and EQ2 ever had.....so as a franchise, I would say thats a huge no.

Originally posted by Gregor999
    After combat was released in Landmark the only thing EQN will be competing with is Neverwinter.

WoW pvp:        

vs.      

Landmark pvp:      

I say we nail quests, content, gameplay, progression and items and force it to go f2p than a wow clone with 2017 graphics can clean up the mess. Theres my plan to kill WoW.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Anyone who doesn't think EQNext can challenge WoW  is just kidding themselves. 

I remember when AoC, Warhammer, SWTOR, GW2, Lotro, FFIV, Aion, Wildstar and MANY MANY others were going to challenge WoW. It's not going to happen. WoW is a freak of nature that will never be duplicated. 

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Landmark pvp:      

Okay, I haven't been keeping up with EQL's progress, but if that's how the game looks and plays . . . loooooooooool omg. That was terrible. Any hope I had for EQN is shattered at this very moment. I was really hoping it would pull through with storybricks for the AI and have some interesting combat. That. Is. Appalling.

WTF did you just say?

I've actually played a considerable number of games.  Quite possibly more than you. I don't think that WoW has a magical formula. I never said it did. In fact, they've got a LOT of room for improvement. Especially when it comes to content updates. That's evidenced by the fact that so many WoW subscribers play in 3 or 4 month spurts. I can't think of many who don't take time off to play other games. Simply because there's no more content. They need compelling reasons to log back in. Also, you're right, they don't "innovate" as some other games do. However, it doesn't really matter. They have the luxury of waiting to see what works and what doesn't. Also, in the end, as Dennis Leary once said "...and there aint a goddamn thing anybody can do about it, you know why? Because we've got the bombs! That's why, yeah!" And by bombs, I mean subscribers. 

If you honestly feel like when EQN releases, 50% of WoW subscribers are going to simply up and leave like a mass exodus, you're delusional. Regardless of what WoW's subscriber numbers are at that point, 50% of the WoW population isn't leaving to go somewhere else. Honestly, you haven't the foggiest idea of how many subscribers they actually have. The last count was 7 million, but "subscriber" indicates the number of people who have paid for time in the last 30 days. That doesn't mean that's all of the unique users they have. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of people who have/will play WoW in 2014 will be somewhere in the arena of 10 million. 

Even if WoW is dead and gone in 2 years, EQN will NOT have 50% of the subscribers. Do you want actual evidence? Look at Wildstar? Do you think that they honestly thought they'd be rolling servers a month after release? Probably not. 

Also, as long as we're talking about reality, you're talking like EQN is the ONLY MMO that's being released in the next 2 years. There will be many other MMOs released (things like The Division comes to mind). So regardless how many subscribers leave WoW, the market itself is fragmenting on a monthly and annual basis. People are fighting for niches and slivers of market share to the point that they simply can't afford to run the game. 

Oh, and as long as we're on the subject of contradiction, you even contradict your own arguments because you ask whether EQ Franchise IS the biggest competitor to WoW, which is fun because it's actually two contradictions in one. First, the current state of the EQ franchise isn't even registering in the top 10 competitors for WoW and, actually, WoW manages to make more money from it's cash shop than most games in the genre make from all revenue streams (but feel free to prove me wrong), so I wouldn't even call EQ a competitor at this point. Secondly, you're asserting that EQN will basically dethrone WoW and take all of their subscribers, but your title says it all, asking if the EQ franchise can manage to simply compete with WoW. 

I'm not saying EQN won't be good. I think it will be good (I actually plan on playing it). I think it will probably be the biggest F2P earner on PS4 and I think that it will probably be a top 5 title in the genre. However, on the PC they do need to address performance issues if they want to maximize their success. 

Honestly, I think you're trivializing WoW, which is possibly the worst thing you can possibly do. You look back at some of the biggest military losses in history, and it boils down to people underestimating their enemy. Look at Mike Tyson getting knocked out by Buster Douglas. 2 years is a drop in the pan for WoW, sorry. Even when WoW is gone, the market isn't moving to another, single, game, it's going to be fragmented. WoW is the exception, not the rule and, you're right, nobody CAN touch WoW. The only one that's going to kill WoW is WoW, and they'll do a fine job of that all on their own anyway. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

WoWs arch nemesis is time... Graphical updates and new game mechanics isn't enough to make the sub numbers rise again for a 10 year old game.

While many of us remember EQ as a good game and it is far from impossible that Blizzard feared EQ2 before both games launched (after all was EQ2 sequel to the big MMO of the time and launching a month before their big game) I doubt they fear anything at all from SOE.

If Blizzard fear companies they are larger ones like Valve, not small like SOE.

EQN might be a fun game but I still don't see it getting anywhere near Wow or even GW2. At least not as long as Smed is still the boss.

Then again, everything can happen... But for Blizzard to fear EQN would still be like you fearing getting hit by a meteor, possible but very unlikely.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    2 years is a drop in the pan for WoW, sorry. Even when WoW is gone, the market isn't moving to another, single, game, it's going to be fragmented. WoW is the exception, not the rule and, you're right, nobody CAN touch WoW. The only one that's going to kill WoW is WoW, and they'll do a fine job of that all on their own anyway. 

I agree with this completely. As I have said before, the MMO genre is now flooded with too many choices for players and the population is spread too thin for there to ever be another giant like WoW.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Thorkune
    2 years is a drop in the pan for WoW, sorry. Even when WoW is gone, the market isn't moving to another, single, game, it's going to be fragmented. WoW is the exception, not the rule and, you're right, nobody CAN touch WoW. The only one that's going to kill WoW is WoW, and they'll do a fine job of that all on their own anyway. 

I agree with this completely. As I have said before, the MMO genre is now flooded with too many choices for players and the population is spread too thin for there to ever be another giant like WoW.

Pretty much, the only thing that will eventually kill WoW is time itself. Not some big "messiah" MMO with a bunch of shiny features that may never even amount to anything.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

WTF did you just say?

I've actually played a considerable number of games.  Quite possibly more than you. I don't think that WoW has a magical formula. I never said it did. In fact, they've got a LOT of room for improvement. Especially when it comes to content updates. That's evidenced by the fact that so many WoW subscribers play in 3 or 4 month spurts. I can't think of many who don't take time off to play other games. Simply because there's no more content. They need compelling reasons to log back in. Also, you're right, they don't "innovate" as some other games do. However, it doesn't really matter. They have the luxury of waiting to see what works and what doesn't. Also, in the end, as Dennis Leary once said "...and there aint a goddamn thing anybody can do about it, you know why? Because we've got the bombs! That's why, yeah!" And by bombs, I mean subscribers. 

If you honestly feel like when EQN releases, 50% of WoW subscribers are going to simply up and leave like a mass exodus, you're delusional. Regardless of what WoW's subscriber numbers are at that point, 50% of the WoW population isn't leaving to go somewhere else. Honestly, you haven't the foggiest idea of how many subscribers they actually have. The last count was 7 million, but "subscriber" indicates the number of people who have paid for time in the last 30 days. That doesn't mean that's all of the unique users they have. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of people who have/will play WoW in 2014 will be somewhere in the arena of 10 million. 

Even if WoW is dead and gone in 2 years, EQN will NOT have 50% of the subscribers. Do you want actual evidence? Look at Wildstar? Do you think that they honestly thought they'd be rolling servers a month after release? Probably not. 

Also, as long as we're talking about reality, you're talking like EQN is the ONLY MMO that's being released in the next 2 years. There will be many other MMOs released (things like The Division comes to mind). So regardless how many subscribers leave WoW, the market itself is fragmenting on a monthly and annual basis. People are fighting for niches and slivers of market share to the point that they simply can't afford to run the game. 

Oh, and as long as we're on the subject of contradiction, you even contradict your own arguments because you ask whether EQ Franchise IS the biggest competitor to WoW, which is fun because it's actually two contradictions in one. First, the current state of the EQ franchise isn't even registering in the top 10 competitors for WoW and, actually, WoW manages to make more money from it's cash shop than most games in the genre make from all revenue streams (but feel free to prove me wrong), so I wouldn't even call EQ a competitor at this point. Secondly, you're asserting that EQN will basically dethrone WoW and take all of their subscribers, but your title says it all, asking if the EQ franchise can manage to simply compete with WoW. 

I'm not saying EQN won't be good. I think it will be good (I actually plan on playing it). I think it will probably be the biggest F2P earner on PS4 and I think that it will probably be a top 5 title in the genre. However, on the PC they do need to address performance issues if they want to maximize their success. 

Honestly, I think you're trivializing WoW, which is possibly the worst thing you can possibly do. You look back at some of the biggest military losses in history, and it boils down to people underestimating their enemy. Look at Mike Tyson getting knocked out by Buster Douglas. 2 years is a drop in the pan for WoW, sorry. Even when WoW is gone, the market isn't moving to another, single, game, it's going to be fragmented. WoW is the exception, not the rule and, you're right, nobody CAN touch WoW. The only one that's going to kill WoW is WoW, and they'll do a fine job of that all on their own anyway. 

WoWs subscriptions are dropping like flies. Its common sense a ten year old game is limited to what it can do because it is limited to the code it was originally prescribed. Thats why games CAN'T innovate beyond their former shell.You think EQ2 a game thats been out 10 years took a beating like it did with WoW chose to that fate when they wouldn't have to spend money on making Next and just upgrade EQ2 to rival becuase basically they are the same formulas. It can't so the WoW part of the battle is dead. WoW can't stand for the fight in its behalf. I mean, garrisons? You know how many genres EQ Next is borrowing from? I can successfully predict and win this argument using logic. I can already tell that it has a great chance of hitting 50% of your subscribers in time because. Well, WoW had 700,000 in its first fulll year after spending 60 million to EQ2s 12 million. I mean the thing that drives me crazy is if only it can run on a shitty computer. Being f2p. This isn't some puny mmo and not one relying on cutscene and other themepark tricks. This is a REAL sanbox with REAL content and quests in a REAL successfully implemented living and breathing world. By God they gave there npcs "emotions" 10000 hours of unscripted AI. But what you are missing in your calculation other than gauging your existing buddies and guessing "what would they do" in your mmo is what you can do in our world. You can change anything and thats an unseen mechanic that has not been forcasted on how much replay and immersion value but im guessing its enough to set it apart from current mmos FOR A LONG TIME. So while your pumping out your expansions you are one feature away (from Nexts part that is) from making questing, quest hubs, leveling, grinding, stats on items, linear storyline, tab target combat system, Obsolete and eventually going f2p and dying a very slow death...

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Konfess
    ...At this rate. Is WoW ready to be 3 million by the time EQ Next launches (or 2016)? They just have to lose 50% of what they lost last quarter sustained for 12 quarters. 

Haha, they didn't loose a thing.  Gaming as a whole has lost.  Next's is compete with SWTOR for whales.  Next is only a threat to TOR.  And retry the action combat that TERA tried already?  MMORPG gamers who spend money don't care for twitch. 

Gaming hasn't lost. MMO gaming might be losing numbers, but MOBA gaming is picking them up. Games that offer single, multi, and coop play are picking them up. MMOs don't have exclusive rights to online gaming anymore. There are lot of options out there and people are choosing those.

People can play Assassin's Creed, Borderlands 2, Skyrim, Civilization, Farcry, and can do that with friends and family and don't have to put up with MMO gamers calling them a filthy casual or noob. They don't have to put with raids or guilds controlling how they play and what they do.

Pretty much. There are plenty of articles out there that show there are more people gaming today than there ever were before.

I think there was one that claimed 30+% of the US population plays PC games. So that doesn't even take consoles into consideration.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• AzzudyenAzzudyen Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I wish people would stop hyping this game. Everytime I hear more hype I just lose faith and think the overall product will come out flat.

WTF did you just say?

WoWs subscriptions are dropping like flies. Its common sense a ten year old game is limited to what it can do because it is limited to the code it was originally prescribed. Thats why games CAN'T innovate beyond their former shell.You think EQ2 a game thats been out 10 years took a beating like it did with WoW chose to that fate when they wouldn't have to spend money on making Next and just upgrade EQ2 to rival becuase basically they are the same formulas. It can't so the WoW part of the battle is dead. WoW can't stand for the fight in its behalf. I mean, garrisons? You know how many genres EQ Next is borrowing from? I can successfully predict and win this argument using logic. I can already tell that it has a great chance of hitting 50% of your subscribers in time because. Well, WoW had 700,000 in its first fulll year after spending 60 million to EQ2s 12 million. I mean the thing that drives me crazy is if only it can run on a shitty computer. Being f2p. This isn't some puny mmo and not one relying on cutscene and other themepark tricks. This is a REAL sanbox with REAL content and quests in a REAL successfully implemented living and breathing world. By God they gave there npcs "emotions" 10000 hours of unscripted AI. But what you are missing in your calculation other than gauging your existing buddies and guessing "what would they do" in your mmo is what you can do in our world. You can change anything and thats an unseen mechanic that has not been forcasted on how much replay and immersion value but im guessing its enough to set it apart from current mmos FOR A LONG TIME. So while your pumping out your expansions you are one feature away (from Nexts part that is) from making questing, quest hubs, leveling, grinding, stats on items, linear storyline, tab target combat system, Obsolete and eventually going f2p and dying a very slow death...

I mean, whats the choices for a new player? Pay 80+$ to play 12 year old game with 8 year old graphics for 2 months thats linear and meaningless grinds or play a new game with great graphics that you can play right away at any level and affect the story at level 3 and explore open world sandbox. There is no gimmick. What will attract players to this game is not the same from what would attrack a newer player. They just want to get out of the grind and endless quests that have no value and play something that wont cost them nothing that they can play for a year or 2 or what is projected to do absolutely EVERYTHING. And there is no gamebreaking feature that will stop you from playing the game unless you want to do something else. There are no guidlinnes of themepark you must follow in order to keep your head above water. So nothing unfun, nothing immersion breaking. The trinity doesn't even exist yet it won't stop people from playing what they proposed. If EQ Next launched tomorrow. I can see you already downloading it. This game will live and die by the first wave of player reviews. If they deem it a must get. It can be like Diablo 3 with 30 million hits. Thats the beauty of f2p.