Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the Everquest Franchise the biggest competitor to Blizzards mmo(s)?

Title stated. I noticed the Warlords of Dreanor cinematic event was released on Aug 14. August 16 during the keynotes in SOE live talk of World of Warcraft 2 was a news article in gamespot even though they are not close to making another one. Just simply stated they have talked about it 10 years ago. A worthless news article.  WoD is set to launch 11/13 while Altar of Malice is set to launch 11/11. Do you think Blizzard is herding their children? Project Titan was setback and reiterated on to wait on better technology and is set to be ready hopefully after EQ Next. I also follow lots of Everquest Next devs and "blizzard careers" keeps popping up on my add friends list. All this clever marketing for the fact that every 6 months from now World of Warcraft will lose  a million people and  Draenor being the same game that lost 900,000 in three months it won't stop bleeding so they see Everquest as a potential foe by the time Next launches. Is WoW doomed for just item grinding while Next promises adventure gameplay and a storylines you create beyond a narrative?

...That's essentially what being smug is. Acting like you're so blatantly right that even the thought of someone disagreeing with you is appallingly stupid and comical. you have a good chance of bullying them into believing you.

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    The next big mmo is always the one that will bring wow down...till it launches and it doesn't. Then, it's the one after that.
  • InfantryonlineInfantryonline Member Posts: 113
    ...At this rate. Is WoW ready to be 3 million by the time EQ Next launches (or 2016)? They just have to lose 50% of what they lost last quarter sustained for 12 quarters. 

...That's essentially what being smug is. Acting like you're so blatantly right that even the thought of someone disagreeing with you is appallingly stupid and comical. you have a good chance of bullying them into believing you.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    No other dev is going to risk developing a MMO now with focus on raiding after wildstar, the format is dead. This means those addicted to the power ladder in wow will never leave - probably for another decade if blizzard have their way. Poor souls.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Ill give them props for perfecting the 2004 model of hotbars in an mmo. Guild Wars 2 was the first to come up with limited and action based. Everything is becoming saturated with action based with moba elements and Next is even beyond that. Landmark is twitch. They changed the mmo structure. Gave armor more of an aesthetic purpose and meaning. Its the same as picking up a steel plate armor in Medieval Times or whatever.  changed items to what they should really be. There is no stats. Staring at the fantasy world that EQ Next is like staring at a mirror. You'll see us. Only we move in the shadows of the tall buildings in Norrath or through the woods talking to farmer. This is more of an unraveling of what we know in a world and implementing it the first time in a virtual one. Throughout history. There are more realistic elements they are adding to the game then never before. It might attract the upper echelons of our society to give games another try again. Hopefully. One of the coolest things about Everquest when it launched was it attracted all different types of people that was in our (the universe of Everquest) world because it mirrored real life. Or gave it structure. More than final fantasy did.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Infantryonline
    Ill give them props for perfecting the 2004 model of hotbars in an mmo. Guild Wars 2 was the first to come up with limited and action based. Everything is becoming saturated with action based with moba elements and Next is even beyond that. Landmark is twitch. They changed the mmo structure. Gave armor more of an aesthetic purpose and meaning. Its the same as picking up a steel plate armor in Medieval Times or whatever.  changed items to what they should really be. There is no stats. Staring at the fantasy world that EQ Next is like staring at a mirror. You'll see us. Only we move in the shadows of the tall buildings in Norrath or through the woods talking to farmer. This is more of an unraveling of what we know in a world and implementing it the first time in a virtual one. Throughout history. There are more realistic elements they are adding to the game then never before. It might attract the upper echelons of our society to give games another try again. Hopefully. One of the coolest things about Everquest when it launched was it attracted all different types of people that was in our (the universe of Everquest) world because it mirrored real life. Or gave it structure. More than final fantasy did.

Armor Grants Abilities not stats... So its more than just a cosmetic thing.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I dont think companies should even be trying to compete with wow as that usualyl ends up just being a clone of wow and why would anyone want to play a copy of something when they can have the real thing?

SOE should do their own thing and make the game they want to make most western MMORPGS usually have less than a million subs and its always been that way so thats the kind of numbers they should be looking at..

Originally posted by Nitth

Armor Grants Abilities not stats... So its more than just a cosmetic thing.

Yeah in Landmark it is going to be completely cosmetic but with boosts

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    No.  The real fear in the industries eyes?  All that blood that Blizzard keeps shedding, has turned up else where.  No other game has gained 4 million subscribers.  Gaming has lost 4 million of its own.  The question you should be asking, when will the well of whales dry up?

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

...At this rate. Is WoW ready to be 3 million by the time EQ Next launches (or 2016)? They just have to lose 50% of what they lost last quarter sustained for 12 quarters. 

Haha, they didn't loose a thing.  Gaming as a whole has lost.  Next's is compete with SWTOR for whales.  Next is only a threat to TOR.  And retry the action combat that TERA tried already?  MMORPG gamers who spend money don't care for twitch. 

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by Caldrin

I dont think companies should even be trying to compete with wow as that usualyl ends up just being a clone of wow and why would anyone want to play a copy of something when they can have the real thing?

SOE should do their own thing and make the game they want to make most western MMORPGS usually have less than a million subs and its always been that way so thats the kind of numbers they should be looking at..

It worked for WoW though didn't it?  Why would anyone want to play a dumbed down copy of EQ when they have the real thing?  Oh yeah, WoW was designed to be extremely EASY as compared to EQ and didn't need anywhere near the same level of skill or time to play.

SOE is doing their own thing with EQN.  They aren't even targeting traditional MMO veterans or the newer WoW generation of gamer.  It may be a huge success and bring a new type of gamer into the genre a la WoW or it could implode.  Only time will tell.

Originally posted by Bannuk

[edit]  Oh yeah, WoW was designed to be extremely EASY as compared to EQ and didn't need anywhere near the same level of skill or time to play. [edit]

False statements, don't support an opinion.  When I stopped play EQ2 and started playing WoW, it took more skill and a longer time to level than EQ2.  WoW has been simplified, but that says more about our fellow human beings than it does WoW or Blizzard.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    short answer: no, it's not.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Originally posted by Konfess

[edit]  Oh yeah, WoW was designed to be extremely EASY as compared to EQ and didn't need anywhere near the same level of skill or time to play. [edit]

False statements, don't support an opinion.  When I stopped play EQ2 and started playing WoW, it took more skill and a longer time to level than EQ2.  WoW has been simplified, but that says more about our fellow human beings than it does WoW or Blizzard.

I didnt have fun when i got to 50 in wow. I had fun when i got to 35 in the trial in EQ2. Both took a month.

Originally posted by Thane
    short answer: no, it's not.

When one have must have gameplay and the other one is must quit. The obvious choice is to get rid the cancer that plagues all of gaming

It worked for WoW though didn't it?  Why would anyone want to play a dumbed down copy of EQ when they have the real thing?  Oh yeah, WoW was designed to be extremely EASY as compared to EQ and didn't need anywhere near the same level of skill or time to play.

SOE is doing their own thing with EQN.  They aren't even targeting traditional MMO veterans or the newer WoW generation of gamer.  It may be a huge success and bring a new type of gamer into the genre a la WoW or it could implode.  Only time will tell.

Its gonna be a success. What WoW did in making the mmo easier, Next is going to make every aspect from quests to pve, pvp, events, strategy exponentially easy and better and more engaging that you wouldn't even know what went into it when you start but noticibly more easy and fun that you wouldn't notice you were playing an mmo but something resembling a living virtual world in a fantasy setting with real objectives, real consequences, groundbreaking ai that at the end will have an experience you can't get from any other mmo out there and its going to turn the genre upside down.

I think they have the idea. Its all about them pulling it off. This should scare anyone

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

The Fanboy is strong in this one.

May the game live up to your expectations.

And no, it's no more "the biggest competitor to Blizzards mmo(s)" than all the rest of the MMOs that are coming out all the time.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Actually I was interested in EQN until they revealed it. Sounds and looks like a cheap f2p garbage so far.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Its gonna be a success. What WoW did in making the mmo easier, Next is going to make every aspect from quests to pve, pvp, events, strategy exponentially easy and better and more engaging that you wouldn't even know what went into it when you start but noticibly more easy and fun that you wouldn't notice you were playing an mmo but something resembling a living virtual world in a fantasy setting with real objectives, real consequences, groundbreaking ai that at the end will have an experience you can't get from any other mmo out there and its going to turn the genre upside down.

Your just setting yourself up for disappointment. It will never meet these high hopes and expectations. I hope it's a good game but someone needs to manage expectations with reality...

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Originally posted by nilden

Your just setting yourself up for disappointment. It will never meet these high hopes and expectations. I hope it's a good game but someone needs to manage expectations with reality...

No its actually a reality. Or an epiphany in my head. But other people have noted they have experienced the same. And they and I post it on this forums. When the storybricks explain it and give scenarios and matches the same thing we've been thinking. Its a sure thing. Where do you think i came up with 10000 hours of non scripted AI? I watched an AI panel and analyzed with the info how many different interactions they can come up with, with players interacting with the world, and that number is something i threw up there which is how long ill be playing in a system like this which is a year or more which is a career. Its like people describing chess and analyzing how fun it would be. But this is something were familiar with. This is an mmorpg. And the affect is greater than chess. Because its a believable story world. And drawing from what ive experienced before in quest systems in my personal experience. Not only is this an upgrade. But something that i can't even predict. Like a butterfly effect. And seeing how thats the rules in this world, id imagine that would be totally neat. Its like Fight Club. There are no rules. Only script. 

Anyone who doesn't think EQNext can challenge WoW  is just kidding themselves. We have Emergent AI and formidable dev team. You have a legion of idiots who just say "No!" who won't eat the peas with the carrots. Good luck being the "weirdo" in two years. I hope your headphones can block off the ridicule when your in panda cartoon land or orc cartoon land. I hope Blizzard makes warcraft 4 and stops fuckin with the kids already. Its going to be embarrassing when these philosophies go head to head. We're gonna make old timers out of little boys. Somebody's got to cater to their interests though. Blizzard is going to be the only game company that stoops low enough because noone else will. You might as well give your future money to them now. So if and when you retire late. Someone is always there to take your money. We know that. I know you "hardcore" marxists would enjoy that. But before i leave let me say one thing. Welcome to capitalism..........lol

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Anyone who doesn't think EQNext can challenge WoW  is just kidding themselves. We have Emergent AI and formidable dev team. You have a legion of idiots who just say "No!" who won't eat the peas with the carrots. Good luck being the "weirdo" in two years. I hope your headphones can block off the ridicule when your in panda cartoon land or orc cartoon land. I hope Blizzard makes warcraft 4 and stops fuckin with the kids already. Its going to be embarrassing when these philosophies go head to head. We're gonna make old timers out of little boys. Somebody's got to cater to their interests though. Blizzard is going to be the only game company that stoops low enough because noone else will. You might as well give your future money to them now. So if and when you retire late. Someone is always there to take your money. We know that. I know you "hardcore" marxists would enjoy that. But before i leave let me say one thing. Welcome to capitalism..........lol

The irony in that statement is very thick.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

who knows , we know so little about EQ: N , but the few things we know im going to say "Meh"....the limited active skills is the thing that kills me the most ....hope EQ: N delivers but the franchise has been going downhill.....

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

No offense OP, but I had a hard time following you.

Still I think it's clear that EQNext will be a potential big MMO / game release. As long as they do right.

It's sadly in the same vein that.. I dunno.. Horizons, Age of Conan, RIFT, & Wildstar or whatever.. It's the next big MMO release. Does that even matter in a realm ruled by WoW? Of course Warcraft and Blizzard stuff will show up, they're the current top dawg.

All in all when WoW loses players, MMOs as a whole loses players. 

I just hope EQNext doesn't dwell on being a WoW killer. It'll do it's best by focusing on being a good MMO and having the EverQuest name should be a weighty advantage in that circle.

Time is the only WoW-killer that'll ever exist, and you have to admit Blizzards done a good job battling that.

a yo ho ho

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by nilden

No its actually a reality. Or an epiphany in my head. But other people have noted they have experienced the same. And they and I post it on this forums. When the storybricks explain it and give scenarios and matches the same thing we've been thinking. Its a sure thing. Where do you think i came up with 10000 hours of non scripted AI? I watched an AI panel and analyzed with the info how many different interactions they can come up with, with players interacting with the world, and that number is something i threw up there which is how long ill be playing in a system like this which is a year or more which is a career. Its like people describing chess and analyzing how fun it would be. But this is something were familiar with. This is an mmorpg. And the affect is greater than chess. Because its a believable story world. And drawing from what ive experienced before in quest systems in my personal experience. Not only is this an upgrade. But something that i can't even predict. Like a butterfly effect. And seeing how thats the rules in this world, id imagine that would be totally neat. Its like Fight Club. There are no rules. Only script. 

No plan survives contact with the enemy.  Currently most of EQNext is just that, a plan.

Once it has contact with the enemy, however, that'll be the true test of EQN, just like every other MMO.

(note: "enemy" is metaphorical and doesn't necessarily mean WoW.  The "enemy" in most cases for MMOs actually is "reality", which includes things such as "need for resources and time", "dealing with customers", "feasibility of actually coding such a thing in a fun or competent manner", and "all those things you didn't expect to happen or be the case" when you look at how soooo many MMOs PLANNED for so much yet failed to deliver once launch came...)