Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: 7 Signs You’re a Filthy Casual

Comments

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Originally posted by meonthissite

Seven signs you might be part of the 1% (aka Raiders):

1: Everything has to be harder. It doesn't matter if you're required to solo 20 mobs all with boss level stats all with instakill hits, it's not hitting hard enough. Oh and don't forget permadeath, because that's metal...or something. Until it becomes too hard for you personally, then you quit because you got your wish.

7: You won't even support the 1 game in mmo history that's been made specifically for the 1%. It's really tough to take you seriously when all you had to do is follow the rules that you love so much. 1: Pay a sub. 2: Speed level. 3: Gear up. 4: Attune. 5: Raid. But noooo you 1%ers couldn't do that, so you decided to leave that one game and go back to GASP the casual titles! Where there are unicorns and popcorn and welfare epix. Deal with it ;) See #1 for why they won't support that game.

• torabi1010torabi1010 Member Posts: 18
    What if you can't speak on ts because you're mute...

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    Hey all, I wrote this thing. Glad most of you liked it :-) Those of you that don't are obviously too casual to hang out here. Just kidding!

Seriously though, the difference between trolling and satire is intent. This was not intended to outrage because, well, it's outrageous. It was meant to make a few people smile and maybe spark some conversation. Big difference :-)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by GameByNight
    Hey all, I wrote this thing. Glad most of you liked it :-) Those of you that don't are obviously too casual to hang out here. Just kidding!

Seriously though, the difference between trolling and satire is intent. This was not intended to outrage because, well, it's outrageous. It was meant to make a few people smile and maybe spark some conversation. Big difference :-)

Welcome to "literal land", where satire, subtle nuance, sarcasm and the like often go right over the heads of many here.

I enjoyed the piece and knew what you were trying to accomplish.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370

Intent: Acknowledged and understood.

Offerance: Sometimes things don't turn out as we had hoped.

Offense taken = None image

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• EstrangeEstrange Member Posts: 29
    This is awesome. I bet you are clickers! All of you!

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. - Mark Twain

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Originally posted by Usinger

I gotta say this quick before the wife catches me on the computer:

Your article, it sure was funny.

Only one question:  what level do I need to be to raid?  

Thanks bro

Funny? This crap? Ok, funny if somebody changed in vocabulary meaning of words silly with funny.

Not a Monty Python fan, I take it.  I found it funny AND silly.  And sometimes fitting for my own self :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    [mod edit]

I have a feeling your posts were not anywhere near the vein this one is: Humor/Satire.  I have made satirical posts before and had no trouble.  If you can not see that, I am sorry.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well i have no doubt this is exactly how many Raiders think.They do forget they are playing a rpg and just minimize what actual gaming is about into some superficial one dimensional instance raid game.Their idea of FUN is if they win the fight or not,lose and there is anger,win and they laugh and joke about it.Repeating these fights turns them into clockwork,no longer a challenge,just Google the video write down the sequence order,rinse and repeat.

Dying?? Oh don't worry we have a large group we get at least 3 resurrections so you can die a few times no problem.Team speak is simply so you can be told what to do and what is coming,no need to think for yourself.

Lets kill that Boss to get a cool mount....ummm err wait a minute where was he keeping that mount he drops,in his pocket ?because i never saw this mount during the fight.

To me everything that is suppose to be cool about not being casual is actually NOT being cool but more a nerd who thinks he is better than others,keyword..."thinks".My idea is casual is when a group can play together laugh and have FUN no matter the outcome,have time to casually chat instead of barking orders and roam about where ever they want instead of being locked into an instance.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    xAPOCx? You missed the point entirely. Thankfully, you did make clear the difference between satire and trolling. You are what not to do.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Welcome to "literal land", where satire, subtle nuance, sarcasm and the like often go right over the heads of many here.

I wonder some times if it just takes the shorter path through their heads. 

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Bunch of salty casuls in here. Git gud.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I've just come to terms with Faux-Outrage being a thing today...You see it everywhere, it's not just exclusive to this site. I say Faux because in most cases it shouldn't be possible to be "outraged" over what just happened or what was said.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I've just come to terms with Faux-Outrage being a thing today...You see it everywhere, it's not just exclusive to this site. I say Faux because in most cases it shouldn't be possible to be "outraged" over what just happened or what was said.

Yup I agree, and it's a fitting term. 

• mithrillionmithrillion Member Posts: 37

Err... No. So you think you are distinguished from the "filthy casuals", but in fact you are still one of them!

1. Raid? Or should we rather call it "human keyboard macro"? What sort of l33t players would reduce themselves to machines? Go PVP! Go scamming people! That at least takes some human skill!

2. Voice comms? You mean you actually need to talk to others to coordinate? Losers! L33t players work as a whole without any communication because they are already perfect!

3. Guild applications? There aren't enough l33t players in the world to justify the use of an auxiliary program.

4. L33t players write the guides. Filthy casuals read them.

5. You mean... you can't even figure out the fight YOURSELF? How pathetic!

6. It's not your job. It's your life.

7. You mean you are too scared to let others find out your skills are limited to one game?

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

5 out of 7, not bad...----

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by Velocinox
    If I trolled like this on the forums I would get banned or at the very least a warning. :)

idd. plus this topic is just and another opinion about someone who wants to be noticed as hardcore or demanding that only by doing the so calle dend game raiding via competent guild you do it right. brothers and sisters ... times change , people change , what people like most change. unfortunately when given freedom of choise only minority is doing the end game raiding or guild life like its written in this article so wake up!

• Atis-nobAtis-nob Member UncommonPosts: 98

"Listen Legolawls. First of all, we already have someone with your name. Kudos on the choice. "

You Say Stupid Things Like ... “Everyone Should Be Able to See the Content!”

^ Perfectly legit complaints, without a hint of irony. 5 Cats, 10 Angels and 20 guys with movie characters names in every guild are annoying and hard to tell apart. Demands to bring whole content on a plate here and now to anyone who bothered to login remove game from game.

• CeryshenCeryshen Member UncommonPosts: 73
    I don't understand why people are offended by this article.
  • ardacakirardacakir Member Posts: 1
    I enjoyed your post, made me smile before going to work.
  • darthbuhdarthbuh Member UncommonPosts: 24

I honestly hope this post is satire.

Otherwise, no one should ever let this Johnny Prick Hardcore use a keyboard, ever again.

Retired: WoW (Cataclysm), SWTOR (pre-F2P), Champions Online, City of Heroes, RIFT, Age of Conan (pre-F2P)
    On Hold: FFXIV Heavensward, Blade and Soul, Firefall
  • GatlanGatlan Member UncommonPosts: 141

/edit: A lot of posters here lack the humor gene.

PS bring back Coyote

• AnimakerAnimaker Member Posts: 8
    Written and signed by a no-lifer enthusiast that rages at others in LoL when he loses :v In all honesty, you know that this is like trying to impose your opinion on other people, this is YOUR EXCLUSIVE NERD CASUAL FILTHY List, let me make that clear. I dont see youtube video, I first fight the boss, and figure it out myself, because Im intelligent and don't want the fun of the game which is EXPLORE AND DISCOVER to be ruined by the selfishness of others who only seek veterans to farm over and over again. What if you are the first on the boss, there are no YT Videos, what will you do? Not play it until there is a video? Pathetic this list... I agree with some points, but still, pathetic in many.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    It is a troll article. I mean half those are b.s. No hardcore raider likes filling out those guild apps. It's an unnecessary evil! XD