Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The New Generation

sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291

Is there a research for what the new gamers think of games? Because I think that LoL is what they feed on. LoL can go up to 300k viewers on twitch, and it makes me sad that so many new gamers like lobby based PvP games. Or maybe many have been disgusted by MMOs after WoW? Probably both.

The ONLY mmorpg that is one of the top games on twitch is WoW, and it's only about 3% of what LoL has if we put them on both of their peaks.

I know that people don't want to watch someone play a PvE mmo, but twitch is luring people into LoL. The problem is that when a MMO launches, it gets about 20k-30k viewers on twitch and then it can drop down to 200 people.

What's the problem? What can we learn from LoL? Bring in competitions in mmos? Make a big skill tree that gets something like a unique branch every month for people to try?

Comments

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

It's totally different. MMOs aren't that interesting to watch people play. I will watch some MMO gameplay videos to get a sense of the game if I'm thinking of playing or a video to give me like a tutorial on certain things but it but just to sit someone streaming while they grind away at an MMO doesn't seem very entertaining. I can see why MOBAs are way more compelling to watch on Twitch and I don't even like MOBAs.

Why does it matter? Are all games trying to be some kind of spectator sport now? What happened to just playing a game if it looked cool?

• sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291
    Can anyone bring up a list of what gamers play the most?
  • macwoodmacwood Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    what does LoL have to do with MMOs?

Try reading the Op before you spam your nonsense :)

• sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291
    FFXIV on 11th place? :O Hmm... Wildstar really flopped.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Playing a game and watching it on twitch aren't the same thing.

I can see me watching a game before I buy it, especially a PvP driven game. It gives me an idea of the type of people I am going to be dealing with and the scenario's I will be expecting. It's more like recon though. Deciding if I will play the game or not play the game, twitch is outmoded at the decision.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    So people couldn't like watching LoL and Dota 2 because people can make money and get scholarships to top universities by playing these games? I personally don't care for the genre but the money part of it is pretty interesting. The world needs good strategists? Edit: to add, most of those games in the top 10 are tactical based games that do require strategy.
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

MMORPG aka virtual worlds popularity was temporary abberation.

Most people like lobby games and don't like virtual worlds.

Lobby games were and still are most popular online games.  'In Past' it was Quake, Unreal Tournament, Counter Strike, Warcraft 3, Starcraft, Diablo and various browser games.   Nowadays it is CoD, Battlefield, LoL, Dota 2, WoT, Diablo III, PoE and various mobile online games.

League of Legends or World of Tanks are sometimes called MMOs, but they are not.   They are exactly like Call of Duty, Starcraft or Battlefield - they're online lobby games.

Even World of Warcraft showed that in order to be really popular - you have to offer lobby gaming -  WoW long-term popularity is build upon instanced dungeons&raids, arenas/battlegrounds and automatic LFG tools - in practical terms it is lobby gaming.

MMORPGs are becoming less popular because:

1. Situation it is coming back to normal - virtual worlds is niche entertainment

2. MMORPGs have huge problems that are unsolvable atm and that's why many players are leaving this genre

tl;dr

MMO / MMORPG will never have big stream viewership.  If you want have big viewership - make an lobby game with instanced 'matches'.

• urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200

I can't even figure out the appeal of Twitch, who finds it fun to watch someone else play a game?

Maybe I'm too old for this generation.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I dont like watching people play games full stop really.. i get bored and want to play myself... so instead of sitting and watchnig other people play gaems I just play games instead haha :)

If a new game is released or someone is streaming beta access to a game I might check it out for a few minutes but thats about it.

But maybe it is a generation thing being 33 I guess I just dont get it haha.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    Originally posted by Sulaa

Lobby games were and still are most popular online games.  'In Past' it was Quake, Unreal Tournament, Counter Strike, Warcraft 3, Starcraft, Diablo and various browser games.   Nowadays it is CoD, Battlefield, LoL, Dota 2, WoT, Diablo III, PoE and various mobile online games.

League of Legends or World of Tanks are sometimes called MMOs, but they are not.   They are exactly like Call of Duty, Starcraft or Battlefield - they're online lobby games.

Even World of Warcraft showed that in order to be really popular - you have to offer lobby gaming -  WoW long-term popularity is build upon instanced dungeons&raids, arenas/battlegrounds and automatic LFG tools - in practical terms it is lobby gaming.

1. Situation it is coming back to normal - virtual worlds is niche entertainment

2. MMORPGs have huge problems that are unsolvable atm and that's why many players are leaving this genre

tl;dr

MMO / MMORPG will never have big stream viewership.  If you want have big viewership - make an lobby game with instanced 'matches'.

Agree.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    Originally posted by urbanmech

I can't even figure out the appeal of Twitch, who finds it fun to watch someone else play a game?

I know a few kids that spend hours on youtube watching others playing, they are trying to learn something.

They want to jump inside game and give a good impression to friends.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    MOBA is the better genre for competitive play. Nuff said.
    Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I'm 42.

I watched quite a couple of games played by others by now. All three Mass Effect titles, Final Fantasy 7 and the three FF13s, The Last Story, some Star Trek Voyager game of which I dont remember the exact name, and more.

Why ?

- Many of these are console only games. I'm not interested in buying a console, ever.

- They all dont motivate me to play them myself. Too primitive battle systems.

- Some of the YouTube commentators are pretty good, funny, and entertaining, for example Nerd Cubed or Olizandri.

- These games have interesting stories I would like to know.

I havent heard of "Twitch" though and I wouldnt be interested for example in watching someone else playing a game I already played myself.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

LoL is the closest thing there is to eSports at the moment.

When I went to Gamescom there was a famous LoL player handing out autographs and stuff, and my friend's step kid and cousin went nuts to go see him, while we passed.

Riot Games is also makes obscene amounts of money from LoL, and games like WoT also bring in a ton of money.

IMO MOBA's like LoL, DotA and soon HotS are the hottest games for the younger generation, with shooter games like Battlefield and CoD being next up, followed closely by sports games like FIFA. Or games like GTA might actually come second now (whatever genre they fall under).

RPGs and MMORPGs are pretty low on the list, just like they've always been.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Drunk-fuDrunk-fu Member UncommonPosts: 133

I honestly don't know what's appealing in LoL.

Perhaps the fact, it can run on a calculator, and can be played by even a monkey.

Sure, not on a competitive level.

Then there is the fact, you join a match and pewpew, there is no endless grinding to level, then farming gear or crafting.

So it can be enjoyed even on a casual level.

And with that i answered my own question, what's appealing in it.

Which explains why there is more people interested in it, than in any mmorpg seperately.

At the other hand, i don't see why any mmorpg player would watch another, besides learning a few trick or about the game generally. Since mmorpg players are playing a never ending cycle. But LoL takes how long / match? Two hours top, or so?

We play rpg's to go on a journey (not that nay mmorpg feels like one), we don't want to watch someone else being on one.

Aren't we?

I don't believe that twitch luring people to LoL, it's probably the other way around.

Though, im not the kind of person to watch what i can do myself.

Especially not a 8 bit game, even if the graphics aren't everything, when it comes to gaming.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

Ive tried watching Twitch myself and feel the same way.  You will get some guy (usually)  making idiotic jokes he laughs at and engaging in dopey banter with teammates.  More than once Ive actually fallen asleep in my chair watching Twitch streams so it might serve as a sleeping aid.  

As for the younger generation and gaming......My 9yr nephew cannot stop playing Minecraft. He has no interest in questing but will build and blow up things for hours.  Minecraft bores me after 5 minutes and I often struggle to play with him.  However, it seems many in his class play Minecraft also.  Ive showed him GW2 and LOTRO but he seems to have no interest.  I explained how you develop your character and assign points to skill/traits in RPG fashion.   His response, "Okay, Uncle I will do that if you want me to."   Okay, you can go back to Minecraft.  

At the risk of engaging in one of those hasty overblown generalziation, well , you know at this point that is exactly what I am going to do, it does seem the younger kids want everything now.  Spend levels building up a character?  Weeks opening up new levels? Get a character to 50,80,100?   No way.  I want to do everything now. Why should I wait?   I wonder if the older games of worlds where you build up a character slowly are really dead and gone.  It is only for the geezer gamer brigade. 

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Sulaa

tl;dr

This is an interesting take on the situation, and one I feel is pretty accurate.

If you look at what the most popular games are (according to the earlier post referencing Raptr), out of all of the games only two could even remotely qualify as virtual worlds; Minecraft and Skyrim (and that's even debatable).

If you want a game that even remotely feels like a virtual world, you either need to play an older mmo or play one of the newish indie games, like The Forest, where there are numerous sandbox elements.

The reality is that the idea of a virtual world is appealing in theory, because as humans we want to create. However, actually playing a virtual world can be incredibly boring. It usually involves a ton of work, and a meticulous attention to detail. Real life is ultimate grinding experience. The last thing we really want to do when we come home is play more real life to escape our mundane world.

Quick, over the top action that also allows for a good amount escapism is what most of us seemingly want.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by sagil

Is there a research for what the new gamers think of games? Because I think that LoL is what they feed on. LoL can go up to 300k viewers on twitch, and it makes me sad that so many new gamers like lobby based PvP games. Or maybe many have been disgusted by MMOs after WoW? Probably both.

nah .. not disgusted by wow. Instanced pve/pvp gameplay is largely made popular by WOW. This is just a natural progression to more focused games.

Why sad because of what others like to play?

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305

I completely agree.