Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aspects of FFXIV that freaked me out

Kamandi777Kamandi777 Member UncommonPosts: 223

Pretty new to game.  Have two characters.  Here are things that freaked me out...

1.  After I got to level 30 THM/15 ARC and became a BLM, I queued for PvP -- 91min queue time

Solution:  make PvP viable at lower levels

2.  I have tried 3x to set up a CC payment, it won't let me

Solution:  Just fix it

3.  The level 24 story quest for my THM had AT LEAST 40 parts, that is where I lost count...

Solution:  Eliminate 80% of turn ins of each level of story quest.

4.  I am currently leveling a MRD, and at level 15 the story quest DEMANDS you do a random dungeon, which I didn't really want to do, AND I was forced to tank it. I don't like to tank that much, but aggro is so hard to get with Overpower at that level

Solution:  Allow MRD a DPS option OR gives more aggro generating moves.

5.  Level 16 quest  SAME THING!

Solution:  Also stop making randoms mandatory to story quest line.  I don't like that.

6.  If you want to use "sockets" your are required to level a crafting skill.  REQUIRED.  I don't mind crafting, but FORCING me makes me anxious.

Solution:  Remove this requirement. Period.

7.  DO NOT do your story quest in U'Dahl or whatever the name of that city is.  Do it in the "white city" Leemuria are whatever they call it.  U'dahl is a maze.  Seriously.  Started having chest pains.  Avoid U'dahl at all costs.  The other cities are SO much easier to navigate.

Solution:  IN GENERAL make maps easier to read, use, understand and remove story quests for the multi level steps of thal or whatever it is called.  ALSO make the wording on quest explanations ACTUALLY EXPLAIN WHO, WHAT AND WHERE THE QUEST IS ABOUT.

8.  Just from listening to guild chat, the farming/grinding for something called "atmas" sound ridiculous and possibly unneccesary.  So nice to look forward to.

Solution:  Don't make me endgame grind for crap I don't want or need.  I come up in here to PvP.  BEFORE you say "but but but this isn't a PvP game" well fix that shizzle too!

9.  PvP seems an after thought (which apparently it is) and I don't like that.  I like to PvP

Solution:  put as much time and resources into PvP as you have the 7,812,376 cut scenes you have produced...

10.  I left WoW looking for something cool.  FFXIV looks good and is fun to play but needs massaging.

Solution:  See above.

TYVM

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'm assuming the purpose of this is to rant...?
    Solution: Stop Playing?

You list so many simple solutions yet can you do the above? Guess solutions aren't so simple after all....
  • gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Only thing I agree with is making ul'dah less annoying to navigate through. Everything else is just you being lazy or  asking them to change some of the core game mechanics because you havent played a real mmorpg before. 

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• iatesandiatesand Member UncommonPosts: 92

Lets see if I can help you here:

1)  Amen brother! if you were in a Q that long, its because there aren't that many people look at your level or to many of the type of class you were playing. Try another class or try leveling up some

2) true enough

3) The game has so many run here and turn in this.. get used to it. There will be more

4) Don't take this the wrong way but.. You are not DPS.  That is a tank class, and if you play a MRD people will expect you to tank. Learn now.  Overpower is the one stop shop easy button for tanking at that level. Step in OP 2 or 3 times move around so you get them all in the cone.  if you play a MRD, you will want to get more then a few levels in GLD to balance your tanking out.

5) Once again that is a Tank Class

6) You can have other people do it for you, join a FC and ask for help or just ask in town.  You are not required to level a crafter

7) I always found LL harder to get around in.  I guess its what you are used to

8) ATMA's are a time sink, we all hate them. The end game is a gear game.  It is a level gear end game. Take it or leave it

9) The PVP is what it is, It was not an after thought it was added as a battle ground type of game

10) This is one of those games level based games that some people dig and some don't. if you like it play it, if not there are other games out there

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Kamandi777

8.  Just from listening to guild chat, the farming/grinding for something called "atmas" sound ridiculous and possibly unneccesary.  So nice to look forward to.

Solution:  Don't make me endgame grind for crap I don't want or need.  I come up in here to PvP.  BEFORE you say "but but but this isn't a PvP game" well fix that shizzle too!

seriously?

why would someone who wants mainly to pvp play a game which is not pvp focused?

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Pretty new to game.  Have two characters.  Here are things that freaked me out...

1.  After I got to level 30 THM/15 ARC and became a BLM, I queued for PvP -- 91min queue time

Nobody does arena at level 30, barely anyone does arena at 50 because there isn't ranked.  

You fail

3.  The level 24 story quest for my THM had AT LEAST 40 parts, that is where I lost count...

You'd be complaining if the story went too quickly

4.  I am currently leveling a MRD, and at level 15 the story quest DEMANDS you do a random dungeon, which I didn't really want to do, AND I was forced to tank it. I don't like to tank that much, but aggro is so hard to get with Overpower at that level

You leveled MRD and expected not to tank? lol. 

6.  If you want to use "sockets" your are required to level a crafting skill.  REQUIRED.  I don't mind crafting, but FORCING me makes me anxious.

Wtf? You can buy materia and have people meld it into your gear.  

7.  DO NOT do your story quest in U'Dahl or whatever the name of that city is.  Do it in the "white city" Leemuria are whatever they call it.  U'dahl is a maze.  Seriously.  Started having chest pains.  Avoid U'dahl at all costs.  The other cities are SO much easier to navigate.

Learn to navigate?????

Atma grind is not necessary.  Nor is it that bad. If you're afraid to do something that takes a long time I'd suggest staying away from MMO's however.

9.  PvP seems an after thought (which apparently it is) and I don't like that.  I like to PvP

You're fairly right on this one.  I think Frontlines are amazing but arena has no ranked play which results in very little participation.  The competitive atmosphere isn't there yet.  

10.  I left WoW looking for something cool.  FFXIV looks good and is fun to play but needs massaging.

I think when you hold ffxiv and WoW side by side ffxiv takes the cake on every aspect excluding ranked pvp, my opinion however.  This is coming from someone who raided WoW heroics for years.  

Nice and corrected :D

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• KissThaRingKissThaRing Member UncommonPosts: 78

All valid complaints. ATMA's are literally a waste of time, you can get way better weapons doing hunts or other raids. ATMA's are basically for those people that must finish every last bit of content. It's more for the obsessives-type/collector people (like the ones that must have every minion, must have every mount, etc. those gamers..)

Also as pvp stands, this game is not for pvp. Period. It's a full carebear centric game that focuses mainly on hamster wheel gear grind and the collecting of minions, mounts, glamour and emotes . As a PvP fan myself, this game is carebear first, competitive gamer far far second. So if your looking for pvp, prepare for giant-can-of-disappointment to await you. However, this isn't the say the dev's aren't interested in expanding on pvp (they added Frontlines, so there is some interest), so their is still some hope to make it better, but as it stands now, its not very good.

All in all I put away all my PvP desires and just enjoy the game for what it is, I have fun with it and its worth a sub.

I enjoy undercutting people in the market place - it's the only PvP a crafter gets.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by gessekai332
    Only thing I agree with is making ul'dah less annoying to navigate through. Everything else is just you being lazy or  asking them to change some of the core game mechanics because you havent played a real mmorpg before. 

That's what immediately came to mind as well when I read that list. When I tried FFXIV I started in that city. And I spent so much time running up and down stairs and using porters when I tried to get somewhere.

It got better once I learned the layout and what went where. And that the map was often deceptive. :P

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Pls cater to my needs and not anybody else's.

Period.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Sounds like this game isn't for you.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

People generally dont waste their time in arenas anymore now that Frontlines have been added. Bigger battles with better rewards.

No... just no. 1st off, there is no level 24 THM quest, they are every 5 levels. If you're referring to the main story line, no there is not that many parts to it.

MRD is a tank class, what were you expecting and why did you pick a tank class then turn around and complain that you dont like tanking? Why would they allow a DPS option for it? Guess they should also add tank and healing options to all the DPS classes while theyre at it. ALso, if you're failing to hold aggro with Overpower you're doing it very very wrong. 1) Overpower is mainly for holding AoE threat. If youre using it to hold single target aggro then thats your problem. 2) Holding aggro as a MRD is generally much easier than as a GLD, especially at lower levels since GLD doesn't have shield oath yet.

Solution:  Also stop making randoms mandatory to story quest line.  I don't like that.

"Randoms" aren't mandatory. You said yourself you're in a guild. Get people in there to help you.

Remove one of the main purposes of having a crafter class / crafter friends? Sounds like an amazing idea.... BTW worrying about using those sockets at lower levels is pretty pointless anyway. You will out level that gear in a matter of hours and the couple of stat points you get at those levels make pretty much 0 difference overall. If you think you suck at low levels due to not having materia in your slots, then the materia is the least of your problems. Max level crafted gear with overmelding is when you'll care about it and it will make any real difference in your performance.

Solution:  IN GENERAL make maps easier to read, use, understand and remove story quests for the multi level steps of thal or whatever it is called.  ALSO make the wording on quest explanations ACTUALLY EXPLAIN WHO, WHAT AND WHERE THE QUEST IS ABOUT.

If you're honestly having THAT much trouble following a map which consists of 2 small sections with clearly defined paths, I really don't know what to say without offending you.

If you're here to PvP, you will likely be doing Frontlines, where gear makes almost no difference anyway as everyone is synced to item level 80. If you're doing arenas you'll want the PvP gear which is bought through wolf marks which is earned from PvP and has a special PvP stat (Morale). Either way, you do not need to grind endgame for gear to be good at either. Also, you can also get a nearly as good weapon with almost no grinding by getting a Weather weapon and unweathering it. The Atma grind, which will eventually get you up to your Novus, is the very best but for some classes in particular there is only a minor difference between the Novus and unweathered weapons.

Solution:  put as much time and resources into PvP as you have the 7,812,376 cut scenes you have produced...

Still trying to figure out why you keep making choices (like playing a PvE focused game and complaining about PvP, or playing a tank class then complaining you have to tank) which make no sense whatsoever. A very special kind of special I guess. If all you care about is PvP, why aren't you playing a PvP focused game?

TYVM

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Eh, don't really know or care about this one. PvP isn't my thing.

Never had a problem.

Nice hyperbole. While some quests do get a bit tedious, most are actually fairly decent.

You rolled a tank. Learn to play it, or switch classes. I leveled a MRD to 30 for the passives, tanking was extremely easy compared to Guardian (LOTRO) or Warrior (WoW).

Then find a guild and go with them. Nobody says you have to use the finder.

No. Either level your crafting skills, ask someone in your guild to do it, or ask around in various linkshells for people who can socket materia. There's a subset of the trade window for this feature for a reason.

Never had a problem. Maps are fine, and Ul'dah is my favorite city. There's one area where the map may be a tad confusing, but a minute looking around is all you need to do. Also, use the Aethernet to get around cities.

So you want them to turn the game into something completely different? Sorry, it's a PvE game with PvP as an afterthought. A relatively good afterthought, but an afterthought nonetheless. If you don't like that, then the game isn't for you.

See previous reply.

Every game can use some improvements, but much of what you are complaining about really doesn't need to be changed.

TYVM

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

"...freaked me out...", "...makes me anxious...", "...started having chest pains..."

You need some help, dude, if a game does this to you. It's supposed to be for entertainment y'know.

• KamikazegoKamikazego Member UncommonPosts: 224

***I think this is just because not a lot of people do PvP at level 30. There are higher brackets and most people like to play the level 50 Frontlines PvP anyway instead of Wolves' Den.  Plus each team can only have 2 dps, 1 healer, and a tank.

***First time I've heard of this issue... sorry that it happened. Which browser did you use?

***The game has a lot of story to its main and class quests.  That's just part of the Final Fantasy universe.

***Not happening. MRD and GLD will forever be a tank.  Also, I do agree that the low level dungeons suck for holding aggro... but it should be easy enough as long as your DPS isn't attacking random stuff.

***I love it. It forces people to do low level dungeons to get the hang of their class and its role.  I don't want some solo scrub to come to a level 50 dungeon without knowing how to tank at all.  Also, get used to doing the Main storyline... you need it to open up the raids at end-game.

***Again, not happening. End-game items don't even have materia slots in them anyway so don't worry about it to much.  Either that, or make some friends.

***I never had a problem here... I'm not sure why other people would.  Also, make sure you click on all the aethernet things.  It helps with navigating.

***That's Final Fantasy for you. Heck, this kind of grinding is much easier than the FFXI grinding stuff is.  Plus, I was able to get 5/12 of my Atma in one evening.  If you're looking for instant-gratification like in WoW, you're not going to find it.

***I don't get why you even put this.  Final Fantasy has always been first and foremost PvE.  It has always had long, entwining storylines and that is why people love it.  Get to level 50 and try out Frontlines... I like it much better than Wolves' Den.  Also, I would MUCH rather them put more resources into advancing the storyline, adding new classes/jobs, and adding new dungeons/raids.

TYVM

Answers in ***Bold White with asterisks.

• lobotarulobotaru Member UncommonPosts: 165

I disagree on making Ul'dah simpler to navigate. The same argument could be made of Limsa or Gridania given my first impressions of the game. Plus, if we go that route its going to get closer to FFXIII tunnel syndrome, and god help us if that starts to effect more than the dungeons. Atma grind I agree needs to go, but I think 90% of the people playing the game have already made a case for that, so i don't see Yoshida giving the okay on anything similar in the future.

As of right now there are a few design issues at end game holding me back from truly endorsing the game as a whole that primarily have to do with the fact there isn't a lot of good stuff that promotes server side grouping (as opposed to cross server match making). It adds an unintended layer of difficulty in getting raid teams because there is a lot of BS that normally gets worked out in the pre-raid prep content showing up where it can do some real damage to progress or relationships in general. Anyone who raided both pre and post Cataclysm in WoW knows the drill.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Vonatar

"...freaked me out...", "...makes me anxious...", "...started having chest pains..."

You need some help, dude, if a game does this to you. It's supposed to be for entertainment y'know.

Sounds like the symptoms of someone stepping outside his or her comfort zone.

*gasp*

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

If we're avoiding using the aether nodes throughout the cities, I actually found Ul'dah to be the easiest of the 3 cities to navigate, since you could either run around the outside, or cut through the middle to get most places.

Limsa Lominsa is annoying to me because it's so much back-and-forth running. Grid never bothered me in 1.x, when it was all one map. It kinda annoys me now, split up into 2 parts. When I think about it, I kinda preferred the all-in-one map setup of all the cities in 1.x. 

As for the OP, I actually agree with a few of his points. The bit about the mandatory random dungeons was annoying to me as well. With how they make so much else of the game soloable, having those thrown in there felt kinda arbitrary and forced. The bit about having to craft to slot your gear also seemed like an unnecessary design choice to me. And, don't even get me started on the stretched-out quest lines with so much filler content that even one of the story NPCs (Y'shtola) remarks on it at one point.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Originally posted by Pratt2112

If we're avoiding using the aether nodes throughout the cities, I actually found Ul'dah to be the easiest of the 3 cities to navigate, since you could either run around the outside, or cut through the middle to get most places.

Limsa Lominsa is annoying to me because it's so much back-and-forth running. Grid never bothered me in 1.x, when it was all one map. It kinda annoys me now, split up into 2 parts. When I think about it, I kinda preferred the all-in-one map setup of all the cities in 1.x. 

As for the OP, I actually agree with a few of his points. The bit about the mandatory random dungeons was annoying to me as well. With how they make so much else of the game soloable, having those thrown in there felt kinda arbitrary and forced. The bit about having to craft to slot your gear also seemed like an unnecessary design choice to me. And, don't even get me started on the stretched-out quest lines with so much filler content that even one of the story NPCs (Y'shtola) remarks on it at one point.

I will agree that limsa is most annoying to navigate in. I think you are talking about melding crafted gear. If you are, I agree that it seems backwards. Usually dungeon gear has sockets and crafted gear doesn't unless its of the same tier as dungeon gear. Since people only really go based on ilevel for most stuff now, it makes no sense getting full ilevel 90 gear melded and replace it with something else in like a week or 2. Prices are also insane for that stuff. The main thing that is retardedly expensive in the game is the shards/crystals/clusters. If they made the shard/crystal/clusters drop from normal mobs like in XI, it would hold true to the story and balance economy. Hold true to the story because everything is made from a crystal (not a spoiler since you learn it at the start of the game or really any FF game).

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Not a PvP game lol
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • TheTrueOgreTheTrueOgre Member Posts: 2
    I disagree when people says it is not a pvp game.

Ok, ffxiv focus is not pvp, but pvping is pretty fun there.
    What happens is that classes are over balanced. There is not a single overpowered pvp class to hardcore pvpers choose, so they just say pvp is crap in ffxiv.

Pvp there is more about technique and resources (cooldowns) management.
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    What freaked me out the most: that damn theme music when you ride a NPC chocobo, lol. Thank goodness you can turn that music off.
  • TheTrueOgreTheTrueOgre Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Nevulus

What freaked me out the most: that damn theme music when you ride a NPC chocobo, lol. Thank goodness you can turn that music off.

Thank goodness we can have our own mount. 80gil 10 minutes? Lol
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

TYVM

I agree with 1, 2, and 3.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".