Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny: $500M in Game Copies Shipped As of Day 1

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to a report at Eurogamer, Bungie and Activision-Blizzard are reporting that it has shipped over $500M Destiny copies. There is a semantic difference in that shipped copies are not copies sold to customers. The fact remains, however, that this is easily the most successful video game of all time in these terms.

"Since the beginning, we've been confident that our investment and belief in Destiny would pay off. But not many people believed we'd be able to say it did so on day one," said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing. "Destiny is officially the biggest new franchise launch in our industry's history. It's also the highest-selling day one digital console release in history. We have more confidence than ever that Destiny will become one of the iconic franchises of this generation, and Activision's next billion dollar brand. Most importantly, it's just a great game which we can't stop playing. A big thanks to our incredibly talented team and partners who helped make this happen, most importantly, our partners at Bungie."

Read more at the link above.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

If anything, this boldly underscores how much of a true minority the vocal minority of haters here is. 

I'm glad the game had a successful launch.  It will be something that I'll pick up later in the fall once the weather turns to crap and I have more indoor time.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by Telondariel

If anything, this boldly underscores how much of a true minority the vocal minority of haters here is. 

I'm glad the game had a successful launch.  It will be something that I'll pick up later in the fall once the weather turns to crap and I have more indoor time.

But that was already obvious right? I mean, there is only 0,00000001% (something like that) of the total gaming community actually active participating on these forums. Looking at these forums, WoW is a total failure. SWtOR is a total failure, Destiny is utter rubbish (no pc release), etc. Luckely, all those examples show otherwise with their (financial) figures. 

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

Well, it shows that mmo's (or near enough as doesn't matter) are perfectly viable on consoles alone.  

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234
    I don't live in a big city, but from the line I saw at Gamestop this isn't shocking at all. Every employee said it's was the biggest turnout they'd seen.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by PioneerStew

Well, it shows that mmo's (or near enough as doesn't matter) are perfectly viable on consoles alone.  

That has been shown ages ago.

How much does it cost to manufacture each retail box?

It shows the crazy amount of money invested 

It is indeed a lot of money invested into their game.  That said, something tells me they are going to get a nice return for that investment.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Geez,, guess I'd better go read up on this game, as I have no idea what the fuss is about.

I tend to ignore console releases as they are irrelevant in terms of what I play, but this is such a big deal I might as well learn  something about it.

Have to check with the teenager/console gamer living in my house, he probably can fill me in.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

I was a bit impressed when i found out Destiny has a 10 year contract.

itll be around for a while with expansions....

to me just looks like halo re-skinned with cloaks and colored guns in the desert...wont get me to get a console by any means.

• R.LimaR.Lima Member UncommonPosts: 135
    I would buy Destiny if it released on the PC. Consoles are far too limited for my tastes.
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by Itherael
    I would buy Destiny if it released on the PC. Consoles are far too limited for my tastes.

PS4 isn't that bad.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    As I said before, Destiny is a solidly polished, pretty FPS from a famous developer during a next-gen drought. It was a pretty safe bet it was going to do great sales. I said as much when folks were freaking over the $500m they were putting into the franchise.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533
    Is $500m shipped allot for a FPS?
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Geez,, guess I'd better go read up on this game, as I have no idea what the fuss is about.

I tend to ignore console releases as they are irrelevant in terms of what I play, but this is such a big deal I might as well learn  something about it.

Have to check with the teenager/console gamer living in my house, he probably can fill me in.

Online FPS with a story, 1080p graphics and plenty of customization.  Single player and multiplayer content is available.  This is also being built as a franchise, not just one game.

If you thought maybe Defiance was going to be your thing, but it was "meh", then this is probably the game for you.  I'm not sure what the other 499.9 million people are thinking.  :-)

That should be the other 8 million people, not 499.9 million people.  I'm sure they are selling each copy for more than a dollar.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

That is approximately 8,400,000 copies of the game released to the retail market. Released, not sold.

EDIT, changed from 840k to 8.4 million.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by Precusor
    Originally posted by Itherael

PS4 isn't that bad.

destiny swayed me to buy a ps4.  I'm sure there are plenty others as well.  

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by causs
    Originally posted by Telondariel

But that was already obvious right? I mean, there is only 0,00000001% (something like that) of the total gaming community actually active participating on these forums. Looking at these forums, WoW is a total failure. SWtOR is a total failure, Destiny is utter rubbish (no pc release), etc. Luckely, all those examples show otherwise with their (financial) figures. 

It was.  What it really amounts to is the same dozen serial posters choking the threads and giving the illusion of dire failure and impending apocalypse with every new release.  I get a great deal of satisfaction when articles like this come out that jams a sock in their mouths.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    I dunno...game looks like a nice shooter like a lot of others before...just dont see anything that special
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

Originally posted by Nemesis7884 I dunno...game looks like a nice shooter like a lot of others before...just dont see anything that special
    This is the feeling I got from beta, and I'm not alone:

According to IGN's Vince Ingenito: "John Ryan likes the feel of the world, (and my is it a pretty world) but isn't sure if Destiny's interesting lore is going to pull together tightly into a well-told story. Dan and I both feel pretty strongly that the answer is a simple "no" though. While the gameplay fundamentals are undoubtedly there, and the level designs are excellent, the actual missions that comprise the main story are little more than "go from point A to point B and shoot. There's barely any dialogue, practically no scripted events to effectively tell a story. Exposition dumps from Mecha-Dinklage are pretty much all you get."

That sums up a lot of my feelings from beta. It's solid, it's pretty, but it doesn't do anything amazing. It's a good game, but considering Bungie claimed they were revolutionizing the shooter genre, it falls short of the developers expectations. Not the investors, as it will make its money.. But according to what Bungie wanted to do with it, they still have a good bit of additions and improvements to make if they want to achieve it.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I bought a ps4 just for Destiny, but it turned out that D3 is an amazing experience on the ps4 as well. And I found that the free games for plus members have been entertaining too. Actually since I got my ps4 3 weeks ago I haven't turned my pc on, I thought about playing AA, but I wouldn't have the time and now that Destiny is live, I really won't have any extra time.
  • MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Just because a game doesn't release on PC doesn't make it bad, Mario wasn't on computers but it was still one of the greatest classic games ever, people need to quit being so close minded, I have an Xbox One, PS4 and a great alienware PC, though I'm playing Destiny for Xbox I love all my consoles and just want great games!

Mystery Bounty

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Oh and loving Destiny so far!! It make me giggle like an idiot when I started it up, I missed work just to play it, I remember skipping school for Halo 2 and 3, Bungie releases should be national holidays haha.

Mystery Bounty

• Nickhead420Nickhead420 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Unfortunately, I can't use a controller for more than 5-10 minutes these days.  My console days have gone the way of the dinosaur.
  • TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Originally posted by Nickhead420
    Unfortunately, I can't use a controller for more than 5-10 minutes these days.  My console days have gone the way of the dinosaur.

L2Feet nub

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• Nickhead420Nickhead420 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Originally posted by Tyggs
    Originally posted by Nickhead420

L2Feet nub

No, thanks.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    All MMO devs just got $$ in their eyes and light bulb on top of their heads.  The Era of the Destiny clones cometh
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by SBFord

According to a report at Eurogamer, Bungie and Activision-Blizzard are reporting that it has shipped over $500M Destiny copies. There is a semantic difference in that shipped copies are not copies sold to customers. The fact remains, however, that this is easily the most successful video game of all time in these terms.

No, no it doesn't. All it says is that the publisher has a massive amount of faith in the title to produce that much on a first run. We won't have any metric of its success until next quarter.

The hype bandwagon is just as annoying as the failure bandwagon.

<3