Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SheRides Taxi: "We don't pick up males"

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/08/nyregion/new-service-offers-taxis-exclusively-for-women.html?_r=0

"New Service Offers Taxis Exclusively for Women

The service will be called SheTaxis — SheRides in New York City because of regulations barring it from using “taxi” in its name — and aims to serve women who may feel uncomfortable being driven by men, or who simply prefer the company of other women. The app will ask potential riders if there is a woman in their party. If not, they will be automatically redirected to other car services."

how is this even legal, aren't there anti-discrimination laws in the US

Comments

• WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235

That's a good point. Im mid 50's so I remember as a child places would refuse services for all kinds of things. Restaurants  had signs that said , "We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service." Some still do.

But things have changed greatly it seems. I just did a quick search, and apparently there is very little a business can refuse to do within the parameter of the services they provide. Some states more so than others.

It may very well be illegal.

But it appears that until someone takes it to court, and gets a favorable ruling, it actually isn't.

I'm sure it's more complicated, but that seems to be the gist of it.

Your question and the search I did makes me wonder, how is it that all cabs aren't required to be handicap equipped. All restaurants are under the, American Disability Act, and yet, some small restaurants get away with not being so equipped. 

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Haven't you heard? It's only discrimination if it's against anyone other than White Heterosexual Males. They are fair game for any and all forms of discrimination as they are responsible for everything evil and vile in the world. Didn't you get the Memo?

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

This discussion has been closed.