Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Warhammer 40.000: Eternal Crusade: Hands On with the Pre-Alpha

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Redefining “Massive” in a 3rd-person Combat RPG is Behaviour Interactive Studio Head of the online games Miguel Caron’s drum beat. Building a world set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe; making it an open persistent planet that’s officially part of the lore (Arkhona) which can support over a 1000 players in a single battle... this is what Eternal Crusade plans to bring to us in late 2015. Miguel is looking to break records and has a target of 2.5-3k in a single battle, truly massive, by the time the game launches.

Read more of Franklin Rinaldi's Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade - Hands On with the Pre-Alpha.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Blood for the blood god
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Maybe I will pick this game for the ps4.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by DMKano

Not even PS1 was able to pull of battles with 1000+ players and yes they did have battles with over 500 players fighting in one area.

I am highly sceptical of any game having several thousand players in one area at once without lag -  the server bandwidth out to each client would be immense.

Yet, they have allready done it. THis is the tech they are using: http://1000playerfps.com/

• l00kintoomiizel00kintoomiize Member Posts: 4
    Emperor be praised! I long to play this game! I hope this finish before 40,000 years!
  • mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    is this a mmorpg?
  • grigdushergrigdusher Member UncommonPosts: 139
    Originally posted by mistmaker
    is this a mmorpg?

yes, more a MMO warfare game (similar to planetside but with third person camera)

war 40K Eternal Crusade: refferal 4$ bonus: EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I

• IronSaviorIronSavior Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Was announced as a mmorpg, but then turned into something like a mmo shooter. Like gridgusher said its planetside like. Im quite disapointed about that step, the first rumors about the mmorpg part sounded awesome
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    @IronSavior: To be fair, there's supposed to be some pretty hefty PVE against Tyranid Hives, but not much has been talked about that yet.  Procedural 5-man dungeons, etc.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    :-( i loved warhammer tabletop and it would have been a great mmorpg. I dont like shooters
  • TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by IronSavior
    Was announced as a mmorpg, but then turned into something like a mmo shooter. Like gridgusher said its planetside like. Im quite disapointed about that step, the first rumors about the mmorpg part sounded awesome

You sure you aren't thinking about Dark Milenium by Vigil Games, I don't think this was ever announced as a full fledged mmorpg.

• lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162

Too early to talk balance of course but I hope they give melee-classes some edge. Not only do they have to be in the middle of the enemypack - they can also get hit by friendly fire.

I love the Warhammer world - both fantasy and 40k. And I don't like shooters. But I think I am going to give this a try for sure when it's time.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Not even PS1 was able to pull of battles with 1000+ players and yes they did have battles with over 500 players fighting in one area.

I am highly sceptical of any game having several thousand players in one area at once without lag -  the server bandwidth out to each client would be immense.

You're thinking he actually means 3k people in one little area.  Devs will say big numbers to get the image out there but if 3k people are battling its likely over an entire area.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Friendly fire??... Wonderful... The Goonies are going to LOVE this game...

The Emperor Protects.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

You're thinking he actually means 3k people in one little area.  Devs will say big numbers to get the image out there but if 3k people are battling its likely over an entire area.  

Nope. The goal is 3k in close combat. Check out the 1000 player test battle i linked in an  earlier post. If they could do that a few years back, it is not impossible that they will have refined the tech behind that to allow for even more players a year or two down the road.

The real challenge is having the gfx card handle that much action it seems...

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863
    2-3k players fighting at once? I'll believe it when I see it. Pure marketing rubbish at this stage.

O_o o_O

Originally posted by Bigdavo
    2-3k players fighting at once? I'll believe it when I see it. Pure marketing rubbish at this stage.

The tech engine they are using did 1000 in a public test, so why not more on a more refined version? Again, take a look at :  http://1000playerfps.com/

This is not fiction or a paper dream. It has been done with 1000 players with an early version of the actual engine they are using. The problem seems to not be the network layer but the gfx engines ability to show the action.

The 1000 player test only had one character model for each side of the battle. This made it easy on the gfx layer, but as you can see on the movies from the session, interaction was pretty smooth and lag free. (Especially considering the first and only time ever test nature of the event.)

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    everybody who tried it seems to love it...and they claim to be coding only for a month or two, which seems crazy...i guess i have to give it another look in the future
  • DeathageDeathage Member CommonPosts: 146
    dat first sentence...
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Bigdavo

Planetside 2 can do it so why not other games.. you dont have that many people fighting in the same place on planetside 2 people are spread out over the map fighting in difference places but all part of a big battle.

This sounds like it will be very similar to PS2 but in the 40k universe.. as also stated above the engine they are using and the networking side of things have already done 1000 player test so its possible.

Still it is very early on so yeah lets wait and see.

Still you are right

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Well, I've seen some gameplay footage and, while early, if they continue on with the graphics engine they're using (from 2005) I'm pretty confident they can pull it off. It can't be all that difficult to have 1000 different coloured stick figures running around, can it? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    @IronSavior: To be fair, there's supposed to be some pretty hefty PVE against Tyranid Hives, but not much has been talked about that yet.  Procedural 5-man dungeons, etc.

dont kid me bill!...space marines pve was amazing! hoping they follow that trend.

• DKTuesdayDKTuesday Member UncommonPosts: 15
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
  • BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Originally posted by hfztt

Yet, they have allready done it. THis is the tech they are using: http://1000playerfps.com/

Hey I was in that world record attempt, I think we did it lol. either way the tech worked.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    world record attempt and smooth everyday gameplay are 2 pair of shoes
  • deadmanbelldeadmanbell Member UncommonPosts: 69

Rubbish is a good word to describe this... Hate the fact they made this a shooter, wanted a sandbox type of MMORPG.  This whole thing makes me sad because I love the IP. These numbers are pie in the sky at this point. 

Death to Console's!!!!!!