Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low settings though my PC is good?

ShorunShorun Member UncommonPosts: 247

Hi!

I'm having problems with the graphics settings in RIFT.

My system (short version):

CPU: AMD4100 with 4x3.6 GHz

8 GB RAM

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti with 1 GB RAM

All drivers up to date.

I know this isn't a great system, but it's good and RIFT isn't a new game. I expected I could play it on rather high settings, but my FPS drop below 25 as soon as I go up to MEDIUM settings. I tried messing with the .cfg file and I installed "Razr Game Booster" - nothing.

I can play FFXIV on medium/high settings and TERA on high settings with more than 24 fps, but in RIFT (which doesn't look as good as those games) I can't even turn up to medium?

I really want to try RIFT, because the soul system is cool and a lot of people say it's a great game. I usually don't care about graphics, but RIFT really looks terrible at low settings.

Has anyone had similar problems?

Comments

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Rift is a good game, and as you said its not a new game but it seems to have this performance cliff, everything runs fine up until X then instant performance issues.  Even having a beast of a computer (I do) cant overcome some of the performance issues.

It seems to have worsened since the switch to F2P.  There are simply parts of the game now that I cant keep over 65 FPS that I used to crank out an easy 80 plus.  And places where I'm lucky to get 30 or 40 (big CQ zergs)..

There is probably little you can do beside upgrading, then again you will still hit that wall anyway but at least it will be further down the road.

• DeathageDeathage Member CommonPosts: 146

I also had really bad performance issues, resulting in me having to run on medium settings to get 40 fps. I also had a RL friend that played with the at the time whose build was slightly different than mine, and had almost no performance issues.

Apparently it boils down to your CPU. I guess the game was made with the hope that people with lower-end machines would want to play, and so the game is very single-core CPU intensive while not so GPU intensive. For instance, my friend and I have identical GPUs and RAM, while I have an i7-4770k and he has an i5-4570 (IIRC). I won't pretend to know much on this subject, but from what I was told the i7-series is really shines on multi-threading programs while the i5-series shines with single-core performance. The way Trion designed their game to run puts a lot of the work on a single core. 

When I first encountered the issue I took to forums and Trion's helpdesk; they basically say to just lower settings, turn of AA etc. Which has limited success. But thats not really "fixing" the issue, unless you're purely after FPS. Over the years Trion has made what changes they can to optimize the engine to run better on newer machines, but IDK what their limits are both in terms of manpower allocateable to overhaul the engine as well as purely technological limitations.

Basically, looks like we're SOL on this one.

• kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Rift Always did run pretty poor like the poster above stated it was heavily cpu bound . Their engine is also realy ancient its running on a modified gamebyro engine that i think been around since daoc or even earlyer .