Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW just went F2P

13»

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Just like the other AAA games archage will take another bite out of the wow player base, I'm guessing 500k+. As we know blizzard must have billions of profits or it cannot possibly produce its new expansion every 1/2 years.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Blizzard said they would be doing this in the months before WoD released.  Giving players that haven't played in a long time and new players paid time.

I still find it hilarious that people think Blizzard and WoW are going under.  You do know they have over 12 BILLION dollars just sitting in a bank gaining interest right?

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by mooseman3527

Blizzard added MOP to my account for free. I never recall them giving away expansions for free in the past right before another expansion is coming out.  I still won't reactivate my account as it's been frozen since the release of MOP. I think they are feeling some kind of decline of sales or player base to be giving expansions away for free and 30 day sub time. 

I plan on playing AA and Landmark/ EverQuest Next, before I ever consider to return to WoW which I won't, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, so yeah in a way they are begging for people to come back and getting a little desperate. 

Yes i am sure WOW is very desperate. I like how you connected all the dots and arrived to conclusion that Blizzard is feeling threatened by AA. I laughed so hard that a little bit of pee came out.

Thank you.

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Just like the other AAA games archage will take another bite out of the wow player base, I'm guessing 500k+. As we know blizzard must have billions of profits or it cannot possibly produce its new expansion every 1/2 years.

Yes because we all know that AA and WOW attracts same type of players.

Can this topic get any more absurd? its been 10 bloody years when will people stop with this madness every time a new MMO is about to release?

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by siempi
    Whoa whoa, what's that WoW? Getting scared of ARCHEAGE!?!?

Mmm... could be!

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by newbinator

http://media.blizzard.com/emails/fwow/wowfinal.html

At least for this month. Looks like they are testing out the F2P waters.

Ha, ha, ... just dream of. :-) Hope this will never ever happen. What they have is free up to lv. 20 I think, something completely different.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by LacedOpium
    Originally posted by Daxxan

Nothing to do with ArcheAge.  Everything to do with WoD

Have they ever done anything like this with prior expansions?  No they have not.  Of course It has everything to do with the release of Archeage.  You'd have to be very gullible to believe it has nothing, at all, to do with the release of Archeage.  Blizzard didn't get to be number one by being stupid.

Blizzard has NOTHING to fear from AA.  I don't think anyone does.

This man speaks the truth my friends.

Agreed, can't believe how some people really believe this.

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

http://media.blizzard.com/emails/fwow/wowfinal.html At least for this month. Looks like they are testing out the F2P waters. 

Rookie click bait

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

From mod post

Hey guys,

The media link to our site is a graphic used from some promotions we were running for select players of our other games that haven't tried WoW yet. It's part of an email sent to them.

The free time it's referring too is the 30 day month that all new subscribers get.

So basically just like the emails I get time to time from EVE, AO etc etc offering free time if you sub, or reduced sub.

And if your already subbed .. Meaningless unless you want to make a new account that is

• WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224

http://media.blizzard.com/emails/fwow/wowfinal.html

At least for this month. Looks like they are testing out the F2P waters.

30 days is not F2P the are just gave away free game time for a limited time it is very big different between F2P and gave away free game time to certain people for it say :

Hey guys,

The media link to our site is a graphic used from some promotions we were running for select players of our other games that haven't tried WoW yet. It's part of an email sent to them.

The free time it's referring too is the 30 day month that all new subscribers get.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

Have they ever done anything like this with prior expansions?  No they have not.  Of course It has everything to do with the release of Archeage.  You'd have to be very gullible to believe it has nothing, at all, to do with the release of Archeage.  Blizzard didn't get to be number one by being stupid.

I think mostly its part of some kind of overall advertising campaign to try and drum up interest in Archeage as a game, i don't really see the game being all that popular, it just doesn't tick the boxes that the average gamer is looking for in an MMO, its too focused on PVP in an age where the PVE game is king, it will probably do well enough among other games of its type, but i would hardly expect it to become a mainstream game. image

• djangohdjangoh Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

I think mostly its part of some kind of overall advertising campaign to try and drum up interest in Archeage as a game, i don't really see the game being all that popular, it just doesn't tick the boxes that the average gamer is looking for in an MMO, its too focused on PVP in an age where the PVE game is king, it will probably do well enough among other games of its type, but i would hardly expect it to become a mainstream game. image

^image

This

In my opinion Archeage is a Supernova. When its out of beta then it'll drift into dust imo.