Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQN, a polished Darkfall looking for mainstream success

SupaAPESupaAPE Member Posts: 100

Hello fellow MMO'rs, if you haven't watched it yet ---> 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YlWhnoy2B4

This is landmark alpha combat. Originally I was expecting EQN combat  to resemble another game called Smite. To my delight it surpasses that, and is most similar to a game I recently subbed to called Darkfall Unholy Wars (abbreviated DFUW). Although I didn't stay long with DFUW, I understood the combat and got a general idea of how that game works. If I was younger with loads of time on my hands that game would probably been something I would have put many hours into.

I can presume SOE got a winner on their hands. It seems they're mimicking a sort of Darkfall combat system, with more refinement and that triple A touch. 

There's just no way EQN will be as brutal as DFUW was. I'm sure there are people that like that, but IMO that game will always be niche. Not that there's anything wrong with a niche game.

I'm super excited for this game. These latest vids are great I don't know why some people are so upset lol. 

I feel the only thing that can break that game now is their choice of class design skills/spells. I feel like it can make or break the game just like GW2 combat was. 

I really love individuality and customization, i just hope SOE don't follow the trend of some MMO's recently.

Comments

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by SupaAPE

This is landmark alpha combat. Originally I was expecting EQN combat  to resemble another game called Smite. To my delight it surpasses that, and is most similar to a game I recently subbed to called Darkfall Unholy Wars (abbreviated DFUW). Although I didn't stay long with DFUW, I understood the combat and got a general idea of how that game works. If I was younger with loads of time on my hands that game would probably been something I would have put many hours into.

I can presume SOE got a winner on their hands. It seems they're mimicking a sort of Darkfall combat system, with more refinement and that triple A touch. 

There's just no way EQN will be as brutal as DFUW was. I'm sure there are people that like that, but IMO that game will always be niche. Not that there's anything wrong with a niche game.

I'm super excited for this game. These latest vids are great I don't know why some people are so upset lol. 

I feel the only thing that can break that game now is their choice of class design skills/spells. I feel like it can make or break the game just like GW2 combat was. 

I really love individuality and customization, i just hope SOE don't follow the trend of some MMO's recently.

It's as if tens of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced

looks good to me, though I'm guessing the people on these forums will be crying pretty loud about "muh tab target" and "ADD kidz only hurr durr"

• KalkiAvatarKalkiAvatar Member UncommonPosts: 1

Well first of all, its alpha combat.

Secondly, we don't know if EQN will be exactly like Landmark or what differences they will have.  Obviously theres going to be some differences in certain areas.

But yea, I do hope the games combat is somewhat like DF1/DFUW combat instead of tab target.

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260
    What a cool perspective :) I havent played DFUW but I agree combat is looking really good

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Combat alone doesn't qualify EQN to be a next Darkfall. A MMO is sum of many parts.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by evilized

It's as if tens of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced

looks good to me, though I'm guessing the people on these forums will be crying pretty loud about "muh tab target" and "ADD kidz only hurr durr"

Had I been drinking something I would have been cursing your name.  I wasn't, so I'm not image

I'm all for constructive critizism but that was funny. Well played.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

I haven't played DF but from videos the two combat systems are alike and I'm a fan of aimed targeting with abilities.

IMO what will make or break EQN from a commercially accepted standpoint will be how well they can optimize with the systems they are combining. The reason WoW and LoL are two of the most popular online games, other than production value, is that they are accessible by a very large subset of computer owners. Most, if not all, $250-300 laptops could play both, albeit on lowered settings.

Of course EQN can't be expected to get THAT low with the stitching of Forgelight, Voxel Farm and StoryBricks but how successful they are will depend on how far down the hardware capability list they can go, especially since EQN/Landmark will be F2P.

Optimizations have been mentioned for this month so hopefully they will get off to a good start:

"We're putting a huge focus on optimizations this month. Framerate and memory concerns need to die. Our plan is to make big progress on this in the next weeks."

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/the-new-improved-blueprint-updated-8-27-14.34413/

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Bookah
    What a cool perspective :) I havent played DFUW but I agree combat is looking really good

DFUW had realy enjoyable combat the only issue i had with it was latency had a much larget effect on thing than other combat however Aventine wernt exactly the best game company so maybe sony can figure somthing out to help high latency players a little better than what AVentine could do

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Combat alone doesn't qualify EQN to be a next Darkfall. A MMO is sum of many parts.

A big part of DF if u asked me in guild city and clan warefare which is completly possible to make and greatly expand on in EQN im kinda hoping they do, imagine player made guild cities with build tools like landmark has they could be amazing, city sieges would be amazing too with the destructability and things to so much potential and i hope Sony can get atleast half the potential and ill be happy :)

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,821

This looks good. Hope that this makes its way (with improvements and polishing, of course) to EQN.

The "combat" trailers for EQN have easily been the worst previews so far. Dull, stationary, lifeless, and full of overloaded particles. Granted, EQN is pre-alpha right now, but videos highlighting its placeholder combat really should not be released - the hype created by them is fairly minimal compared to the potential for image damage that they have. 

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

I really like the combat for Landmark. Really hoping they tone it down for EQN itself. All the bunny hopping and zipping around is a bit much and hopefully it works much differently in EQN. So a Warrior might have a Hulk like leap, but isn't bouncing around like Tigger forever.

I'm assuming the targeting and combat will be fairly forgiving, because it does take a certain degree of "skill" to play effectively vs another player that knows what they are doing and I'm assuming mobs that have the new AI and however it works with combat. Hopefully not along the lines of tab-auto aim, but large hit boxes or something. If not, going to be pretty difficult for less "skilled" players, which make up a decent chunk of any game.

Very glad they finally pushed combat out into our hands. Even if EQN is much different, at least we know where it is heading. Also gives those on the fence more reason to stick around or leave. To some the art style, moving away from "raids, removal of holy trinity, and now combat are all nails in the coffin. To each their own, but as the mystery becomes less so, hopefully people can move on or accept what EQN is building towards and stop sticking around grumbling how they want XYZ that isn't happening.

Originally posted by DMKano

Well I can only speak for myself - I was hoping they'd push the combat further than settling for a single hit box - should have pushed the envelope more with body part targets (multiple hit boxes). 

Would be interesting, but people are crying about it not being tab-auto aim, their heads might explode if they had to do anything more than aim in the general direction of an enemy.

From you comments, you also seem to believe they have their work cut out for them on the tech end with voxels and what not, pretty sure body part specific hit boxes would push it even further down the line of melting non-gaming machines.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Allein

I really like the combat for Landmark. Really hoping they tone it down for EQN itself. All the bunny hopping and zipping around is a bit much and hopefully it works much differently in EQN. So a Warrior might have a Hulk like leap, but isn't bouncing around like Tigger forever.

I'm assuming the targeting and combat will be fairly forgiving, because it does take a certain degree of "skill" to play effectively vs another player that knows what they are doing and I'm assuming mobs that have the new AI and however it works with combat. Hopefully not along the lines of tab-auto aim, but large hit boxes or something. If not, going to be pretty difficult for less "skilled" players, which make up a decent chunk of any game.

Very glad they finally pushed combat out into our hands. Even if EQN is much different, at least we know where it is heading. Also gives those on the fence more reason to stick around or leave. To some the art style, moving away from "raids, removal of holy trinity, and now combat are all nails in the coffin. To each their own, but as the mystery becomes less so, hopefully people can move on or accept what EQN is building towards and stop sticking around grumbling how they want XYZ that isn't happening.

Before they even put the combat in Landmark they wanted to slow it down. They also haven't balanced anything right now. I expect heroic movements (including jumping) and special skills to take way more energy so they can't be spammed that much.

But I don't think the "skill" requirement is going to change much. The combat isn't that much different than Skyrim in term of targeting. It just take a while getting used to and people with more "skill" will simply kill stuff faster (there is nothing wrong with that).

Originally posted by azarhal

Before they even put the combat in Landmark they wanted to slow it down. They also haven't balanced anything right now. I expect heroic movements (including jumping) and special skills to take way more energy so they can't be spammed that much.

But I don't think the "skill" requirement is going to change much. The combat isn't that much different than Skyrim in term of targeting. It just take a while getting used to and people with more "skill" will simply kill stuff faster (there is nothing wrong with that).

I assume the same with energy use and what not. So many jumping to conclusions based on Landmark's combat. As seen with the first combat reveal and while hard, this year's combat at SOE Live, I'm doubting, EQN will be so anti-gravity. Really wish they had shown the new classes/combat from a player's perspective at SOE Live instead of the stupid panning spectator cam.

As far as skill, I agree that it could be similar to Skyrim, Smite and other similar combat games, but Landmark's movement freedom is unique and why it looks so silly to some. To add in mobs and actual meaningful combat, they'll have to put some weights in our shoes to bring everyone back down a bit.

• xoonerxooner Member Posts: 5

Please have tab targeting!    

A vocal minority wants the Darkfall targeting nonsense but the vast majority of players want to concentrate on which abilities/strategy to use and communicating with groupmates than some twitch fest which is highly lag dependent.  

Quit Darkfall after released it was a content-lacking game for a niche market with other problems not worth going into.

I hope for a cross between DAOC and WoW, with a little GTA violence, highly specialized toons that have a tough time going it alone, a tiny bit of end game raiding content, but mostly 6-8 party experiences, reasonable 2-4 party experiences and a smattering of solo content.  Rely on a speed/utility class and no mounts at all.  Why give away all the good stuff to everyone and not have a class do it?  The best gear will be split among crafting, pvp and pve, no one sphere will have the best of each slot/type.

And for the LOVE OF GOD please do not develop PC mmorpgs with console sales in mind!  This console business is killing PC mmorpgs and the Koreans still haven't figured out how to make a good mmorpg for North America!

Originally posted by xooner

Please have tab targeting!    

A vocal minority wants the Darkfall targeting nonsense but the vast majority of players want to concentrate on which abilities/strategy to use and communicating with groupmates than some twitch fest which is highly lag dependent.  

The millions and millions and millions that play games with this type of combat might disagree. MMORPG in general aren't very big in overall gaming. To get players actually playing these games again, different approaches are needed (See most mmorpgs coming out).

VOIP is pretty standard in any organized game play these days. Which EQN will have built in. 

Quit Darkfall after released it was a content-lacking game for a niche market with other problems not worth going into.

Pretty much, but it wasn't the first and won't be the last to have such combat.

I hope for a cross between DAOC and WoW, with a little GTA violence, highly specialized toons that have a tough time going it alone, a tiny bit of end game raiding content, but mostly 6-8 party experiences, reasonable 2-4 party experiences and a smattering of solo content.  Rely on a speed/utility class and no mounts at all.  Why give away all the good stuff to everyone and not have a class do it?  The best gear will be split among crafting, pvp and pve, no one sphere will have the best of each slot/type.

Actually think EQN's combat is a step further along where DAoC was at. DAoC was great with positioning and chain attack melee combat. Take that a step further and remove the auto lock/aim - tab target system.

And for the LOVE OF GOD please do not develop PC mmorpgs with console sales in mind!  This console business is killing PC mmorpgs and the Koreans still haven't figured out how to make a good mmorpg for North America!

As seen with several other mmorpgs out and coming, it seems to be less about going after consoles and more about the players that now play a greater variety of games. Having played a lot of FPS/MOBA/ARPG and what not, going back to a slow tab-targeting system is very unpleasant. I expect a certain level of speed and action when I'm in action. Standing around looking at a UI filled screen figuring out which of the 50 skills I should push next isn't as exciting as it was 10+ years ago.

Not sure the numbers myself, but if consoles are killing PC games, wouldn't it be wise to attempt to bring them back in? Seems pointless to just pump out another same old mmo if fans have already moved on. Rather companies not focus too much on making sure it is "console playable" but if they can have features that get players to cross genres/platforms, I think they are being smart.

Originally posted by Allein

Well I can only speak for myself - I was hoping they'd push the combat further than settling for a single hit box - should have pushed the envelope more with body part targets (multiple hit boxes). 

Would be interesting, but people are crying about it not being tab-auto aim, their heads might explode if they had to do anything more than aim in the general direction of an enemy.

From you comments, you also seem to believe they have their work cut out for them on the tech end with voxels and what not, pretty sure body part specific hit boxes would push it even further down the line of melting non-gaming machines.

Oh I still think they have more than their work cut out for them.

But if you are going to go all out - then might as well go ALL OUT if you know what I mean.

EQ2 should of taught them otherwise, not that anything about it was worth the power requirements. Hoping they have some tricks up their sleeves to make EQN playable on a wide variety of machines. Having doubts with how Landmark is though, we'll see how the upcoming optimization helps or not.

• Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271

I played Darkfall. Darfall Online was my nemesis.

DFUW is no Darkfall.

Darkfall combined savage grind, fps full aim full loot combat, and absolutely massive 1500v1500 battles on a single unified server. Despite the bugs, and exploits, the experience was epic, even when it was epic fail.

DFO, the original game, was first person ranged combat, and third person in melee, no options. Yes, it makes a difference. The key aspect being that you knew exactly what someone could see, just by looking at their head, you knew angle and rotation, and therefore field of view. The Darkfall stealth system was unintended, and magically awesome, even in the new game, toons still blend into the environment so well that you often cannot see them, even when they are right in front of you.

The spells were also unique, being that everyone had several blinds, and would use them constantly. This was the core of the crowd control system, combined with knockups and the bubble. DFUW, the impostor game, has no blinds and no bubble.

Darkfall Online was so hardcore, it even had a Gank skill.

I also played 5 months of DFUW beta.

Please, do not presume to know DFUW unless you have stayed subbed, and please, for the hate of Melek, do not presume to compare EQN to Darkfall, a game you did not play.

EQN will not be a unified server, will not have ffa full loot pvp, and will not be first person only. It looks cartoony, and has, so far, an aweful cluttered HUD.

Help me!

Help me!

AAHhhhh!!!

DFO RIP

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Originally posted by Ket_Viliano

DFUW is no Darkfall.

Darkfall combined savage grind, fps full aim full loot combat, and absolutely massive 1500v1500 battles on a single unified server. Despite the bugs, and exploits, the experience was epic, even when it was epic fail.

DFO, the original game, was first person ranged combat, and third person in melee, no options. Yes, it makes a difference. The key aspect being that you knew exactly what someone could see, just by looking at their head, you knew angle and rotation, and therefore field of view. The Darkfall stealth system was unintended, and magically awesome, even in the new game, toons still blend into the environment so well that you often cannot see them, even when they are right in front of you.

The spells were also unique, being that everyone had several blinds, and would use them constantly. This was the core of the crowd control system, combined with knockups and the bubble. DFUW, the impostor game, has no blinds and no bubble.

Please, do not presume to know DFUW unless you have stayed subbed, and please, for the hate of Melek, do not presume to compare EQN to Darkfall, a game you did not play.

EQN will not be a unified server, will not have ffa full loot pvp, and will not be first person only. It looks cartoony, and has, so far, an aweful cluttered HUD.

Help me!

Help me!

AAHhhhh!!!

DFO RIP

This man knows what he is talking about; spoken like a true DFO player. DFUW is a cheap imitation and will never, despite the minor improvements be as good as DFO. All Tasos needed to do it remove the grind and add more sandbox elements, and keep improving it, but they decided to alienate their fans and ruin the game.

Now EQNEXT will never be as good as DFO in terms of combat, full loot and epic sieges, but it still will have more sandbox features than DFO ever had and its a step in the right direction towards mainstream rebirth of Sandbox mmos.

MurderHerd

• SupaAPESupaAPE Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by IsilithTehroth
    Originally posted by Ket_Viliano

DFUW is no Darkfall.

Help me!

Help me!

AAHhhhh!!!

DFO RIP

This man knows what he is talking about; spoken like a true DFO player. DFUW is a cheap imitation and will never, despite the minor improvements be as good as DFO. All Tasos needed to do it remove the grind and add more sandbox elements, and keep improving it, but they decided to alienate their fans and ruin the game.

Now EQNEXT will never be as good as DFO in terms of combat, full loot and epic sieges, but it still will have more sandbox features than DFO ever had and its a step in the right direction towards mainstream rebirth of Sandbox mmos.

Full loot would probably be a headache that best be avoided in a game looking for a mainstream type of audience and success.

If you read Allein's posts, i think he gets where they are taking the PvP in EQN....basically a DaoC/DFO with action combat PvP. Maaaaan oh man, i'm licking my lips already. 

Lets be honest here, totally honest no BS. All games off the past, have pretty much been either leaning towards PvP, or PvE, The ones which tried to mostly incorporate both types of modes usually came short or failed in some way or another. Every once in a while a game comes along which does both modes right, this game has a very high chance and usually does attain mainstream success. WoW was an example. Sony want to do the same thing.

The difference this time, is that sony are starting ground up with a vision and good tools.

Forgelight engine

Storybricks A.I (IM super EXCITED)

Publically accessible content creation tools

These 3 tools alone gives Sony a huge advantage over everyone else in the game. The rest is up to their design team pretty much.

Forgelight = similar to WoW engine interms of scalability RELATIVE TO the power of hardware in 2004 when WoW was released. It will work in low end & high end machines.

Storybricks = I never thought i'd be excited to PvE in an MMO ever again post WoW guild PVE.

Content creation Tools = Excellent, a proper way to solve content problems

Throw in a DFO/Smite whateeveryouwannacallit action style of combat, you got something not only unique & new, but something people will ENJOY.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    This is the first iteration of combat, to soon to call it a win or fail. At this point all we can call it is a good or bad start. We will have to see. Myself, not a fan of it as it stands. I hope there is much feedback going in the right direction. 
  • InfantryonlineInfantryonline Member Posts: 113
    It would be a miracle if SOE doesn't continue the EQ Next project now. They stand to make so much money If they just show people the AI system of Next.

...That's essentially what being smug is. Acting like you're so blatantly right that even the thought of someone disagreeing with you is appallingly stupid and comical. you have a good chance of bullying them into believing you.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

That looks good, but I wonder if hectic bunny-hopping combat can be a meaningful and fun part of slow-paced construction game like Landmark.

They'll have to build a whole game, not just separate pieces that looks cool.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

if they are going to have a Darkfall style combat system I really think they need to get rid of that damn graphic style which I know they cant at this point.

What the actual fuck is up with these cartoons with 'hard core' elements to them. Someone smoking some crack.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

Did Darkfall have active blocking and active attack? Basically if you hold up a shield and moved shield lower or higher left or right....it blocked incoming attack  with shield but lowered shield quality from being hit?

If that is in the game I am down....otherwise....spammers and Quake bunnies have at it.     ..... lol

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Karble

Did Darkfall have active blocking and active attack? Basically if you hold up a shield and moved shield lower or higher left or right....it blocked incoming attack  with shield but lowered shield quality from being hit?

If that is in the game I am down....otherwise....spammers and Quake bunnies have at it.     ..... lol

yes..

although I dont think the direction of the held shield mattered. Quality of shield was not affected by durablity was at which somepoint the shield breaks

It does in Mount and Blade but that is not an MMO

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me