Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera IP Block and why they suck as a company

2»

Comments

• egbert_mmoegbert_mmo Member Posts: 5
    I just wish they could IP ban Elins too - and that's down right intentionally racist.   En Masse as a publisher has been second to none regarding their responses to their communities and support of them in my experience
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    They probably did it because gameforge is such a crappy company everyone was playing on the NA server. TERA never had a problem with bots or gold spammers. The way the cash shop is set up made it too easy to get gold the legit way.

Hmm I am playing on the NA server - I'm at work so I can't check if I still have access.

Would be funny if I find out I was praising them here not knowing I am already blocked haha.

I went and looked it up. It looks like you'e safe.

We Block IP Addresses Used By Hackers.

En Masse will block IPs based on region. Asia, Africa, and the Middle East are included on the block list. While we appreciate that there are players in these regions who would enjoy playing on En Masse servers, it's unfortunate that the vast majority of Internet traffic we see from these regions are from cyber-criminals relating to account theft, gold-farming and other hacking behavior.

its good to see they are so proactive, i can think of several games that could benefit from that kind of measure image

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    So Tera's lack of popularity can't be attributed to having two english related publishers?
  • Saio3Saio3 Member UncommonPosts: 88

So I don't know if anyone told you before, I'm too old to read through all  this shtacko but dear precious and stupid human...Tera is NOT a company, Tera rising is the name of the game, Then you have En masse Ent, Which is the NA publisher, and Gameforge on the other side of the pond. Bluehole is the Developer/creator and runs it on asia I guess. I always find these kind of comments, people who play on EU and come trash Eme's videos and events thinking it's the same thing. It is not. Humans...imirite???

Oh and EME is the best Publisher I've found in my 15+ years of internet pew pews. Their CS department was great (When I played that is, I've moved on to greener pastures). I even downloaded ZMR to support them, Even though it's very meh.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Albatroes
    So Tera's lack of popularity can't be attributed to having two english related publishers?

When did TERA become unpopular ? it was the number 3 money making mmo last year....oh right I forgot where I was...YOU don't like it so no one can...I forget sometimes.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

When did TERA become unpopular ? it was the number 3 money making mmo last year....oh right I forgot where I was...YOU don't like it so no one can...I forget sometimes.

Number 3 according to what list?
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by fodell54
    They probably did it because gameforge is such a crappy company everyone was playing on the NA server. TERA never had a problem with bots or gold spammers. The way the cash shop is set up made it too easy to get gold the legit way.

Tera most defiantly had a problem with gold spammer when the game first came out.

Perhaps you were playing on the EU servers because NA servers did not have gold spammers, even at launch.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Number 3 according to what list?

• Drunk-fuDrunk-fu Member UncommonPosts: 133

oh well, Tera became F2P in 2013 January -  February worldwide, so that might be rather 2012 data.

And i don't really know where this site got their data, but after researching a bit, i only found info about how it sucked in Korea and how they lost 90% of the subscribers within a year, from a million to 100k in EU.

Not that i can 100% trust the infos i found, but it seems more realistic.

http://www.gamenote.com/rank_ongame/index.php?search_mode=weekly&genre=&update_date=2012-12-03

Sure, if we count together all the sold copies + the monthly fee it can be tricky. But that does not mean the game was ever popular. Many games start off with huge numbers then they quickly start to decline.

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Drunk-fu

oh well, Tera became F2P in 2013 January -  February worldwide, so that might be rather 2012 data.

<snip>

If you read the microprint and look at the other games in that list it's clear they're counting "freemium" (i.e., free to play in some for or another but with an optional subscription that either removes F2P restrictions, grants a monthly supply of item mall points, or whatever) titles as well as sub-only games like WoW and EVE.

TERA NA (idk about Korea / Japan / Taiwan / EU) still has a sub option, called "Elite membership" or some such.

• Aren_DAren_D Member UncommonPosts: 92

VPN is your friend. Nothing else to say

"Don't argue with dick-heads, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

• Drunk-fuDrunk-fu Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by dancingstar

If you read the microprint and look at the other games in that list it's clear they're counting "freemium" (i.e., free to play in some for or another but with an optional subscription that either removes F2P restrictions, grants a monthly supply of item mall points, or whatever) titles as well as sub-only games like WoW and EVE.

TERA NA (idk about Korea / Japan / Taiwan / EU) still has a sub option, called "Elite membership" or some such.

I admit i missed the microprint. So if i got that well, this is a total income kof subs + micro, etc, am i right?

Then let's see another way. CrossFire as F2P, with a total income of 964 million USD only in China.

But if we strictly stick with rpg, Maplestory made 326 mil, Dungeon Fighter 426 mil worldwide.

So Tera was still not the third highest money making mmo in 2013.

And let's not forget titles they have no data on.

Originally posted by dancingstar

I admit i missed the microprint. So if i got that well, this is a total income kof subs + micro, etc, am i right?

Then let's see another way. CrossFire as F2P, with a total income of 964 million USD only in China.

But if we strictly stick with rpg, Maplestory made 326 mil, Dungeon Fighter 426 mil worldwide.

So Tera was still not the third highest money making mmo in 2013.

And let's not forget titles they have no data on.

It was posted in response to someone who decided they didn't like the game so it was unpopular. Nitpicking the meaning of mmo to place it farther down the list wont change how wrong that poster was.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by micropirate
    Tera has adopted a horrible business practice that blocks users based on GEO-location IP addresses.

If you are the type of player to play online games in a different part of the world you really should take the time to learn how to get around that, it isn't that hard.

Japan is the best at locking out non-Japanese IPs and conventional ways don't work yet here I am playing the Japanese Archeage and Elsword clients...it only takes a little time to find out.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/