Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar business model failed predictably

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Superman0X

Originally posted by mark2123 The reason Wildstar has been a failure and will not last for much longer is an obvious lack of understanding of how business works.

The reports of the death of Wildstar are greatly exaggerated. :)

I will agree that the performance of Wildstar is not living up to the high hopes of their team... but it is a bit early to be declaring it dead. The team is adjusting to the reality of a P2P game in todays market, but is still moving forward. You can see this with their change from monthly updates. As is often the case, the best laid plans often go astray. I can say something very similar about TES.

Both Wildstar and TES have launched in a similar window, with P2P business models. They have both found that the reality of publishing a game in todays market is not what they had thought it to be. P2P is really tough in this market, and not a solid long term strategy unless you have something unique to offer.

Wildstar has a lot of unique character, but doesnt have a lot of unique gameplay elements. It has enought to stand out, but apparently not enough to be able to charge a premium. This doesnt mean that the game is doomed, or that the team will not continue with the plan that they developed before launch... only that they will have to adjust.

When both Widlstar and TES launched as P2P, there was a lot of public discussion (even by non gaming sites) about if this was feasible in todays market. It was generally pandered by the press as a mistake... and the data is backing those statements. Does this mean that these games are going F2P tomorrow? No, just that they are going to have to adapt if they want to suceed, either with changes to the business model, or to the content provided.

ESO p2p seems to be doing fine. WS fans crack me up. The only people who dare compare the state of the two games. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

The only field this game has failed is in catering to bad players. 99% of mmo players are bad players, and they leave Wildstar frustrated, likely going back to WoW.

The other 1% remain happily.

To be completely honest, it works for me. The day Wildstar stops I'll just go back to not play any mmo. Mmo's are just a decaying and obsolete game genre anyway.

If your opinion was true.  I would say Carbine are the worse mmo developer in the world. Who in their right mind would make an mmo for 1% of the mmo population?  Truth is, there are a lot of terrible players.  I will agree with you on that.  But, I imagine there are a lot more good players  then just 1%.  Unless you are some elitist prick and truly believe your statement.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by bcbully

Originally posted by mark2123 The reason Wildstar has been a failure and will not last for much longer is an obvious lack of understanding of how business works.

I will agree that the performance of Wildstar is not living up to the high hopes of their team... but it is a bit early to be declaring it dead. The team is adjusting to the reality of a P2P game in todays market, but is still moving forward. You can see this with their change from monthly updates. As is often the case, the best laid plans often go astray. I can say something very similar about TES.

Both Wildstar and TES have launched in a similar window, with P2P business models. They have both found that the reality of publishing a game in todays market is not what they had thought it to be. P2P is really tough in this market, and not a solid long term strategy unless you have something unique to offer.

Wildstar has a lot of unique character, but doesnt have a lot of unique gameplay elements. It has enought to stand out, but apparently not enough to be able to charge a premium. This doesnt mean that the game is doomed, or that the team will not continue with the plan that they developed before launch... only that they will have to adjust.

When both Widlstar and TES launched as P2P, there was a lot of public discussion (even by non gaming sites) about if this was feasible in todays market. It was generally pandered by the press as a mistake... and the data is backing those statements. Does this mean that these games are going F2P tomorrow? No, just that they are going to have to adapt if they want to suceed, either with changes to the business model, or to the content provided.

ESO p2p seems to be doing fine. WS fans crack me up. The only people who dare compare the state of the two games. 

Ya, it really doesn't matter since neither did as well as anyone had hoped for. I guess that goes for any new release these days though! I'm hoping that Oculus Rift, or another VR game system changes things for the better. I hope they do it soon though, I'm not getting any younger, and although it might be a great way to go, I don't want to have a heart attack to soon!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• SuperchieftianSuperchieftian Member Posts: 88

They obviously focused on the wrong customer base and refused to fix their optimization/bugs during beta. If they had put more casual content in the game and resolved the major outstanding issues, the game would not be dying as it is.

This game has been a let down for many people. If they can fix the bugs and switch to F2P sooner rather then later, it may save the game.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by mark2123

The reason Wildstar has been a failure and will not last for much longer is an obvious lack of understanding of how business works.

Not really, F2P model destroyed to many good games, should be banned by law. That is main problem today. Or at least prevent them to call games that are NOT free as free. Call them CSP, cash shop playing or anything you like.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson

The only field this game has failed is in catering to bad players. 99% of mmo players are bad players, and they leave Wildstar frustrated, likely going back to WoW.

To be completely honest, it works for me. The day Wildstar stops I'll just go back to not play any mmo. Mmo's are just a decaying and obsolete game genre anyway.

If your opinion was true.  I would say Carbine are the worse mmo developer in the world. Who in their right mind would make an mmo for 1% of the mmo population?  Truth is, there are a lot of terrible players.  I will agree with you on that.  But, I imagine there are a lot more good players  then just 1%.  Unless you are some elitist prick and truly believe your statement.

I think a lot of People have been saying that from the start. They have been led by the nose of a very vocal group of so called hardcore gamers.

The metrics have always been out there. Blizzard dropped 40man RAID´s because too few People were doing them.

Turbine dropped RAID´s later on in LOTRO, because too few People were doing them.

They also made some serious design mistakes with the early Dungeons at lower Levels, by making them too frustrating and hard.

They could take a lesson from Square Enix with FFXIV, where low Level Dungeons start fairly easy and then ramp up in gradual difficulty as you level up, becoming very tough and challenging.

I mean what is the point in frustrating players at low Level, when they most likely do that dungeon just once and outlevel it shortly after? Boggles the mind really.

But as I said before. The biggest issue was overall game performance! The game is just terrible optimized! There is just no excuse for a game with stylized/cartoon Graphics to run this bad on a lot of systems (even high end ones).

So a really large chunk of players were already turned off during the open beta and never bought the game, because of the poor performance of the game client.

• XyireXyire Member UncommonPosts: 152

I'm always impressed with the doom and gloom on these forums about every game.  Who says Wildstar is failing? do you have any idea what they are spending on the game vs earning? If not, you have no idea if it's failing or doing well. 

To address other wildstar issues like design/etc honestly i found wildstars design and combat system pretty fun.  I like the emphasis on the more "hardcore" encounters.  it doesn't need to be liked by everyone to be either good or successful.  In fact, I really doubt any game that is liked by "everyone" would be anything but bland.

Now that all the wildstar haters will be flaming me, I personally quit wildstar because of their really really bad gear design choices.  The difference in power between 1800+gear and the best gear you can get without rated bg/arena is like night and day.  Since win trading was rampant in the beginning (might still be) most of the server that pvps has 1800+ gear.  Couple that with the intentional mmr dumping to carry people for cash, you get bad news. Because of their stupid decision to make the gear so much better and allow gaming of the mmr system, in the 1200 bracket everyone ive fought has 1800+ gear and cannot be harmed (i.e. as a warrior i'd crit a warrior for 1.8k he'd crit me for 7k with the same attack, the difference there is so large no matter of player skill can make up the gap.)  If there was any way to gain gear so i could compete at the entry level of the next gear grind I'd be happy.

Carbine did "address" this concern and massively buffed the bg gear, even after the buff though, it has half the stats of the better stuff. (my dmg example was _after_ the "fix" to give you an idea of how little it fixed.)

My personal quitting and opinion they royally messed up pvp gear doesn't mean the game is failing though.  Until the game changes to f2p, gets shut down, releases a statement saying its struggling, or you get some sort of official info that shows it to be, saying its failing is all hearsay.

p.s. NCsoft earnings were released, but carbine is making an unknown chunk of the profit, so that is completely useless information.  NCsoft could be getting anywhere from 1% to 99% of the profit which would change the meaning of those numbers drastically.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by JeroKane

They could take a lesson from Square Enix with FFXIV, where low Level Dungeons start fairly easy and then ramp up in gradual difficulty as you level up, becoming very tough and challenging.

SWTOR does the same thing. The first couple of flashpoints are very easy, but as you go along they start to add more complicated mechanics, such as bosses with cone attacks that the tank needs to turn away from the group, environmental hazards that need to be dodged, etc...

I've often heard people complain that WS overdoes the tutorials, so it's a bit odd to hear that they didn't extend that to their dungeons.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Drunk-fuDrunk-fu Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by Xyire
    Until the game changes to f2p, gets shut down, releases a statement saying its struggling, or you get some sort of official info that shows it to be, saying its failing is all hearsay.

The NCsoft's ignorance towards players is just too damn high.

At least they've managed to notice the signs earlyer this time.

With Aion, it took them 1.5 years just to merge servers.

And let's not talk about how miserably they failed executing it. :)

• narg1narg1 Member UncommonPosts: 29

so, when exactly wildstar become F2P, so I can start playing again ? :D

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by eriktheviking

They're really not. Wildstar continues to drop like a brick on Raptr, whereas ESO has actually moved UP four spots over the last week. Both are being played less than... Cookie Clicker.

Then you look at XFire and see that it's the 58th ranked game...

Then you look at Reddit ( http://redditmetrics.com/r/WildStar ) and realize that the subreddit has lost over 5000 subs over the last two months. It hasn't had a single day in the positive.

The game is failing and falling quickly. Carbine better do something before it's too late.

Oh yes lets look at xfire something that every single person uses who plays a game in the internet.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Dranny

Oh yes lets look at xfire something that every single person uses who plays a game in the internet.

I use none of them.

Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by narg1

so, when exactly wildstar become F2P, so I can start playing again ? :D

July 2015

That seems more likely. image

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

The business model of Wildstar is still the best there is -but of course you need a game of a certain quality level that can carry it.

Most games in the last 10 years didn't had that quality, the same with Wildstar.

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689

I love when people claim a failure on an mmo because it changes from normal to mega server. The change is something a lot of the community has been wanting to be honest. A failed mmo would be F2P by now. The fact WS still has a fan base speaks for its self. Most of the people who left left because it did not offer world f warcraft amount of end game and pvp experience.

Not to mention WoW/EQ/ESO and a few others have a massive fan base outside of the game where wildstar was the new kid on the block. People were interested then after a while the interest died down. It is like that all over mmo wise. The only way a game fails is if they close entirely, Now if WS goes F2P they will actually make more money. BUT i will say enjoy the pay walls. you want to raid...need to sub, you want to play x class. need to sub or buy it! want to do battle grounds? enjoy the paywall there!. So F2P will rack in more money because for some reason F2P games get people spending money as if it was going out of style. Hell look at SWTOR it is making much more now then it was with subs. So before you chant F2P think about all the locks and walls you will run in to, THEN you can complain about those too because that is all most people on this web sight do.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

I find this is the biggest reason Wildstar is where it is today.

Its the MMO "win" syndrome.    The:    "I want an MMO I can win so that I can show the rest of you 99% that I am the best and you suck" syndrome.

It simply turns the whole concept of other players in an MMO into  fellow competitors.   An E-sport.   That is really the core of Wildstar.  It is simply a game to prove you are the best raider in MMO's.   Its also akin to PvP where the object is defeat your fellow player.  Another form of MMO  competition, that to this point, has not fared well in the marketplace.

I am not saying there is not a place for competitve gaming.  Or PvP.   There is.   But this is it.  It is a small market.    And you can't turn a competitive game into a game that is accessible to all.   This is where they failed.    Why they thought they needed multiple servers I have no idea, because the whole point of their game is "winning".    You want all your players competing for the big prize together, not scattered randomly over several servers.   Just a dumb ass idea and I think they did it because they massively overestimated the amount of true E-sport fanatics out there, as Alber was nice enough to point out. 

And whether this is sub or not I think really makes no difference.   It is about how many players are interested in this type of competitve play.   Its like, come out and try out for Team Wildstar.   Just remember that only 1% of you are good enough and the rest of you will not make the team.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Originally posted by Boneserino

I find this is the biggest reason Wildstar is where it is today.

Its the MMO "win" syndrome.    The:    "I want an MMO I can win so that I can show the rest of you 99% that I am the best and you suck" syndrome.

It simply turns the whole concept of other players in an MMO into  fellow competitors.   An E-sport.   That is really the core of Wildstar.  It is simply a game to prove you are the best raider in MMO's.   Its also akin to PvP where the object is defeat your fellow player.  Another form of MMO  competition, that to this point, has not fared well in the marketplace.

I am not saying there is not a place for competitve gaming.  Or PvP.   There is.   But this is it.  It is a small market.    And you can't turn a competitive game into a game that is accessible to all.   This is where they failed.    Why they thought they needed multiple servers I have no idea, because the whole point of their game is "winning".    You want all your players competing for the big prize together, not scattered randomly over several servers.   Just a dumb ass idea and I think they did it because they massively overestimated the amount of true E-sport fanatics out there, as Alber was nice enough to point out. 

And whether this is sub or not I think really makes no difference.   It is about how many players are interested in this type of competitve play.   Its like, come out and try out for Team Wildstar.   Just remember that only 1% of you are good enough and the rest of you will not make the team.

Nice read, i was looking over the ESO forum and the one complaint i see is "not enough single player content" ...when hasp laying an mmo become an online single player game? O.o

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

Maybe the 1% is overstating it, but you get the picture.

Wildstar refuses to nerf raids, or make them more easily accessible. They'll die sticking to their guns because it is a principle to them. Real raiders love it, but the problem is that not many people these days are real raiders. At least not as much as Carbine thought they would.

Everyone who is not a raider is slowly getting bored of the game, probably with good reason. As I said, it works for me, because I'm a raider, and I hope the game will last as long as possible. So far it's being a blast. I can understand that all the casuals and bads don't like it though, and they are a very high percent of the mmo playerbase (I won't say 99% again, but again, you get the idea).

There is a reason for WoW keeps nerfing their raids after the first monh and making more and more new lower difficulty tiers to keep the casuals and bads happy and winning, and their girlfriends collecting pets and playing pokemon battles with them... and it still works for them, so many years later.  

Difference between Blizzard and Carbine is: One gave up on its principles for cash, the other didn't.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

Wildstar refuses to nerf raids, or make them more easily accessible. They'll die sticking to their guns because it is a principle to them. Real raiders love it, but the problem is that not many people these days are real raiders. At least not as much as Carbine thought they would.

Everyone who is not a raider is slowly getting bored of the game, probably with good reason. As I said, it works for me, because I'm a raider, and I hope the game will last as long as possible. So far it's being a blast. I can understand that all the casuals and bads don't like it though, and they are a very high percent of the mmo playerbase (I won't say 99% again, but again, you get the idea).

There is a reason for WoW keeps nerfing their raids after the first monh and making more and more new lower difficulty tiers to keep the casuals and bads happy and winning, and their girlfriends collecting pets and playing pokemon battles with them... and it still works for them, so many years later.  

Difference between Blizzard and Carbine is: One gave up on its principles for cash, the other didn't.

I agree with you Alber they have stuck to their principles.     But I think they have stuck to their principles anticipating that a little cash would come with that.   So far it seems it has not.

How long they will stick with their principles depends on how long the elite 1% can support the game, IMO.

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

But the other will be forced to by NCSoft.  The purpose of any company is to make money, and judging by the last quarterly report they are a long way off recouping the development costs.  

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    I don't get why people hate the idea of lower tier easier accessible raid content...for a lot of players..a whole lot..It's not about "winning" or being the best mmo player..It's about having fun and seeing the content. Is a challenging gaming experience fun? Yes, it can be. But as a casual gamer, it shouldn't be the only option. Sometimes I have time to kill and an itch to scratch and I want to try my hand at a challenging raid, but other times I have a few hours to kill before my daughter wakes up for a feeding and I just want to have fun and "kill a dragon" with some of my online buddies...Why does that make me "bad"? I'm sick of the negative connection the word casual has in the mmo world
  • PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by Beastn
    I don't get why people hate the idea of lower tier easier accessible raid content...for a lot of players..a whole lot..It's not about "winning" or being the best mmo player..It's about having fun and seeing the content. Is a challenging gaming experience fun? Yes, it can be. But as a casual gamer, it shouldn't be the only option. Sometimes I have time to kill and an itch to scratch and I want to try my hand at a challenging raid, but other times I have a few hours to kill before my daughter wakes up for a feeding and I just want to have fun and "kill a dragon" with some of my online buddies...Why does that make me "bad"? I'm sick of the negative connection the word casual has in the mmo world

I agree with this.  Not having the time or the inclination to spend hours in a raid does not mean you are a bad player.  Not wanting to jump through hoops for an entire evening also does not make you a bad player.  

It seems the sole argument most WS fans come back to is that they are somehow superior at mmo's and other players are too shit to be able to handle the game.  Frankly it is an accolade they are welcome to.  

Originally posted by Beastn

Its just the hardore mentality, Beastn.

Just think of them as the extreme players of the MMO world.     They are the guys that go heli-skiing in the Rockies.    They do it because it is difficult and  very few people want to take the risk.    Now if you were to chop off the top of the mountain, so that all the average skiers could now ski it, they would simply move on to the next big mountain.

So I understand their point of view.   I just don't get how Carbine failed to see it.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

There isn't a subscription game I've played yet that has had the content or structure to justify the monthly cost that was asked.  It's not the subscription that's the problem it's the pricing and the content deployment. It's the contrived attempts by devs to "slow" the player down.  I'd rather play a F2P game, cash shop for little convenience items and drop and come back at as they update. The subscription model needs an overhaul. Prices need to be adjusted according to when companies plan to release content and there needs to be accountability to the consumer when they miss the mark and don't keep their end of the deal.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

Having been in a top-10 WoW guild and a top-20 Wildstar guild, I can 100% say that Wildstar raiding isn't hard...dunno who told u that it is (maybe compared to non-raiding?).

Wildstar raiding is *good*, as in the design is smart, fun and challenging. But it still follows the exact same principles: stand in the right spots, be careful with tanking, keep tanks alive, pump out DPS. The only "new" mechanics are the fact that "right spots" move a lot more often, and spells need to be "aimed" at as many mobs as possible to maximize DPS (since almost all spells are AOE).

That being said, they were retarded to require u to complete a timed dungeon to enter raids...makes no sense. I also wouldn't care if they had a LFR, but tbh the lore is sooooo flippin' bad that it's pointless to do Raids for anything but loot and mechanics. Mobs are often copy-pasted from other places in the world in terms of looks by the way.

I would wager that the problem with Wildstar is that it is lifeless, the world isn't interesting, you never feel a part of it. There is nothing to do at cap apart from raiding, the best way to get money is grind-grind-grind or exploit-exploit-exploit (if it's wide-spread enough u get to keep the piles of plat! yey!), AND the population is nearly dead. I'd say go away and come back in 6 months, nothing to see here as of yet.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

Wildstar's business model has worked well for me. It is basically buy to play. Within my free month I was able to buy over a years worth of CREDD thanks to all the people desperate for easy money. I didn't even try hard or do insane farming. I don't need to use CREDD, but it is dirt cheap so why not? 

An hour and half of dailies and a lucky BoE drop is all it took.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!