Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] H1Z1: It's Us Against Zombies

2»

Comments

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    They really need to do the PvP system like SWG. Flag yourself for PvP and gain 1.5x to skill points or exp or crafting drops. Don't flip the switch, then you can buy pots at the cash shop. (of course you could stack if you got the guts)

That was a terrible idea then, and it's still a terrible idea now.

Sloppy design at it's very worst.

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    I still have high hopes for this game, but with any PvP open-world setting there's potential for "ganking" & I will not invest any real $ into that possibility.  If there is a PvE server then I'd consider the investment.  Regardless, since it's F2P I'll have to play & enjoy it.
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    I would prefer this with three faction gameplay instead of open pvp.  At least then there is a chance someone you stumble upon may be your faction.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Still looking forward to it just wish they gave us early access months ago when they said they would hehe..

Still if SOE's recent games PS2 and Landmark are anything to go by then this will be very good :)

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451

It makes me laugh when people say the zombie fad has come and gone after all the vampyre fad has been around since Bram Stoker wrote Dracula in 1897 and they are still as popular as ever ( even if they did take a knock after those awful twilight books ) . 

Like any genre there are some good zombie movies and some bad zombie movies the same will apply to comicbooks,novels, tv shows ( theres a pretty awful one coming from SYFY) and games . 

State of Decay and Dead Island are a couple of great games and I with luck SOE will come up with a great zombie mmo . If they do I'm in . 

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Good, this makes me happy. I've yet to see a zombie game that feels like a real survival game (MMO) .  It's like everyone in the apocolypse just becomes evil, which is not humanity.  We'd all be dead if these games were an indication. 
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by VicodinTaco

I kind of feel the zombie fad has come and gone already.    The current zeitgeist seems to be moving back into a cold war type mindset except the enemies are more brutal and Nazi like instead of brainless zombies.   Maybe EQNext will capture that essence.  

You'd be wrong.  Zombie games, and more importantly Zombie Survival games are becoming their own genre and are growing.

I have to disagree with that statement.  Lots of people try zombie games, but for the most part the only successful ones are those that end up in pvp situations.  People get really bored of the zombies fast.  Hence it is not really about killing zombies as other players.  

Personally, I believe this game will be a huge flop.  Open pvp has NEVER worked in a game, they just become gank fests. SOE is throwing money away on this title that can be far better spent on some of it's other projects.  It was a really stupid decision to support this project by Smedley, of course not the most brilliant of leaders.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by dontadow
    Good, this makes me happy. I've yet to see a zombie game that feels like a real survival game (MMO) .  It's like everyone in the apocolypse just becomes evil, which is not humanity.  We'd all be dead if these games were an indication. 

I have to agree. World War Z (the film), I feel, showed a pretty realistic view on what would happen if the zombie apocalypse were to happen. Mass Chaos in the urban areas, tons of fighting over limited resources, not to mention a quick spread of the infestation. However, there would still be a governmental presence, most likely a very strong military presence as well. People in more rural areas would fare better, especially if you were hundreds of miles from major urban locations.

While there will always be some type of criminal presence, it's in our nature to be social and helpful to one another. Especially if there is a mutual gain. Which is why a total open world PvP setting, in some ways, doesn't make sense for zombie survival games. Of course, it's a hard thing to translate into gaming though, because there are no real consequences, and well...it's a game. 

In some ways, zombie survival games would fare better with pvp zones that make more sense. Rural areas are mostly safe zones, decent amount of supplies (perhaps a lack of weapons and/or ammo, lack of technology), lower density of zombies. In Urban centers, it could be open or even factional pvp, with a good amount of technological and weapon/ammo type resources, but the place would also be crawling with zombies too.

Of course, the zombies have to be absolutely dangerous. If they are slow moving zombies, they need to roam in very large packs and can and will overwhelm you by sheer numbers. If they are the fast moving type, then they need to be fast and lethal. Zombie AI has to be spot on too.

If the zombies are a total threat and are attracted to sound, it would be more difficult for mass pvp to take place. You'd have to focus more on stealth, using quiet methods of killing and avoiding the hordes of the undead. In addition, the better the weapon the more rare it and the ammo for it should be. Body Armor should be pretty rare too. The majority of the weapons should be what you would most likely find in a typical gun owning home. Pistols, Shotguns, Hunting Rifles, etc. It would be pretty rare to find like a Barrett .50 or a freaking M249 lying about :P

• ElmberryElmberry Member UncommonPosts: 195
    The graphic and animations looks a little dated (10 year old or so). I am not sure if the mechanism will be enough to attract enough players to this niche game. Even though I hope at least SOE succeed with one of their 3 new MMO they currently are working with.
  • blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129
    no matter how much you try to make this an "us against zombie" game, with open pvp it will turn into same o same o  pvp fest. Evidently, SOE doesn't understand the nature of pvp gamers ...look at every other open world pvp

Current games playing: MechWarrior Online
    Games being watched:  Project Genom
    Favorite played games: SWG, RomaVictor, and Xsyon

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    The problem with Zombie games so far have been the players, not the games themselves.  DayZ in particular.  I want a game where people group up to survive, like The Walking Dead, but all the FPS people have jumped in and just play it like a shooter with some zombie npcs in there for flavor.

I agree. They tout 'coop' but it'll be like DayZ or Rust where it is possible to band together but it will primarily be 'Where are the noobs so I can pwn and grief.'  Meh

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by Siveria
    Originally posted by Alalala
    Week 1: You download and play. The newness and discovery fuels your extended play.

Week 2: More and more, you realize this has little to do with zombies or apocalypse survival. It's really about preteens with sniper rifles head-shotting you from 850 yards.

Week 3: You uninstall H1DayZ1, and drop me a note thanking me for not spending a cent on this game.

Pretty much what it will be if there is open pvp. If they want pvp keep it in a special seperate zone thats optional, was alot of sandbox games lately that tout "open pvp!" second they do I just close the page, because it'll just be a shitty gankfest. Open pvp does not work in the usa/north america, the community is too damn immature for it.

If you actually did a little more research then you know that they plan on having different rule set servers but keep up with your whine/cry. 

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469

This could be the smarter approach. Make it necessary to team up against the zombie hordes which in turn makes it more advantageous to not pk.

Rewards for not pk'ing instead of meaningless punishments may keep the gratuitous pk's in line.

A once very skeptical reader now has some interest in this title due to this. Well, that & having just watched WWZ this morning. That could have something to do with it.

-Chuckles
  • dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by Arskaaa
    Week 1: You download and play. The newness and discovery fuels your extended play.

Week 2: More and more, you realize this has little to do with zombies or apocalypse survival. It's really about preteens with sniper rifles head-shotting you from 850 yards.

Week 3: You uninstall H1DayZ1, and drop me a note thanking me for not spending a cent on this game.

There is wolfs and bears. they attack to playes,zombies and deers too.

but u got point, currently game is KOS like Dayz.

Sure its nice u can build or make house to be some sort bunker, but whats the point? just camp there hours for nothing.

sure its about survival and stay a life long as posible but after u done that 50 time... gets really old fast.

hope clan system bring players together. not whitout carrot tho...

A true game to move the MMO zombie into gankfest games that have nothing to do with survival is to create a mechanic that imitates the horrors of killing a human. Also something more than (needing resources) to give players the sensation that human companionship a need that goes behind resource management.  

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

"H1Z1 is designed to be a cooperative survival game. More “us against zombies” rather than PvP with zombies providing background and interesting trash mobs. It is open world PvP of course"

Isn't this what every game like this is trying to sell. Hey guys this game is really fun if you all work together, well until that prick comes along with some wall hack or aimbot and lays waste to everyone for no other reason than they can.

What type of repercussions will be built into to this coop encouraged game to prevent the rampant asshattery that is prevalent is every similar game in the genre.

What they should do, is let you choose whether you want to be a human or zombie and call it PvP, far as I can tell no one has done that yet and will be a unique draw to this already saturated genre.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• MGPetersonMGPeterson Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    They really need to do the PvP system like SWG. Flag yourself for PvP and gain 1.5x to skill points or exp or crafting drops. Don't flip the switch, then you can buy pots at the cash shop. (of course you could stack if you got the guts)

A better system would be to flag anyone with heavy weaponry for PvP.  This way players who do not pick up heavy weapons can PvE in peace.  For all intents and purposes make non heavy weaponry the classic zombie wepaons like handguns, shotguns, hunting rifles, knives and blunt miscellaneous objects. Heavy weapons can include machine guns, bazookas, uzis, high power rifles, explosives.

• icemanateeicemanatee Member UncommonPosts: 79
    This game doesn't sound nearly as good as Secret World.....hrmm...probably will be vaporware.
  • ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390

Nailed it.