Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Gaze of the Black Prince Arrives for the Last Time

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Perhaps signaling the imminent arrival of the pre-expansion v6.0 patch, Blizzard has announced that the Gaze of the Black Prince buff for World of Warcraft will be in effect from September 2-14. The Gaze of the Black Prince assists players with obtaining the necessary resources to create their legendary Pandaria cloaks, a lengthy process that is shortened measurably with the buff.

Blizzard's post specifically states that this is the final time players will have an opportunity to take advantage of the buff, a likely portent to the arrival of the pre-Warlords of Draenor patch, v6.0 that will bring significant changes to all classes and introduce the "bridging" lore preparatory to November's release of the expansion.

Beginning Tuesday, September 2 at 10:00 a.m. PDT, through Tuesday, September 16 at 9:00 a.m. PDT, we’ll be applying the Gaze of the Black Prince buff for the final time before the Warlords of Draenor expansion. This buff will increase the reputation gained with the Black Prince by 100%. It will also increase the chance of obtaining items from his foes needed as a part of the Legendary Cloak quest line including: the Secrets of the Empire, Sigil of Wisdom, Sigil of Power, or Titan Runestones.

To learn more about the Legendary Cloak quest line, check out our previous blog posts: I am Legendary and The Time Has Come: Legendary Quest Line.

Read more on the World of Warcraft community site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106

They should run the Valor bonus also during this time and/or increase the valor weekly cap!

Wouldn't hurt anything but it sure would help!

• Nickhead420Nickhead420 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    ...because it still matters?
  • PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    I think in every expansion I have played the first green armour pretty much out-stats the best armour I had collected from the previous expansion... so I'll give this a miss.  
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by PioneerStew
    I think in every expansion I have played the first green armour pretty much out-stats the best armour I had collected from the previous expansion... so I'll give this a miss.  

Having played the WoD beta a while ago, I can say you won't be replacing most of your gear until 98-100, even if all you did in panda land was raid finder/timeless isle (upgraded).

But yeah, ultimately it isn't too relevant anymore. Which is what made me stop raiding back during TBC when they announced WotLK. The constant removal of progression value every expansion, and later, every content patch, removed the sense of reward from playing the PvE game in WoW.

• RaellnRaelln Member Posts: 67

In other words, enough people have dropped out of the LFR system to elevate queue times.

The entire legendary cloak questline was a well-conceived plan to prop up the heavy raid content of MoP anyway. Without it, many people would have ran the MoP raids one time in LFR for the T-shirt and moved on.

Originally posted by raapnaap

Having played the WoD beta a while ago, I can say you won't be replacing most of your gear until 98-100, even if all you did in panda land was raid finder/timeless isle (upgraded).

But yeah, ultimately it isn't too relevant anymore. Which is what made me stop raiding back during TBC when they announced WotLK. The constant removal of progression value every expansion, and later, every content patch, removed the sense of reward from playing the PvE game in WoW.

What did Blizzard do to nerf the proc on the cloak? If they didn't nerf it, it will still remain powerful - even after level 100 gear "out stats" it.

As for the "progression value" of every expansion - that is the result of using gear as the primary carrot to entice people to run the raids. Considering that only about 40% of the playerbase raid at all, Blizzard had to come up with some method of leveling the playing field for the non-raiders to be able to consume the new expansion content. Since such a "gold-plated carrot" needs to be used to prop up the raid content, I have to ask the question if it's really worth it in the end?

To me, it's not. After finishing the legendary cloak in WoW - I canceled my sub. At this point, I don't ever want to step foot in another instanced raid ever again - be it in WoW or another MMORPG.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Exactly.  Just wait for the expansion, grinding for equipment now is absurd to say the least!

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Exactly.  Just wait for the expansion, grinding for equipment now is absurd to say the least!

I look for a slow shift to occur (not just in WoW) between "doing content for stats" to "doing content to unlock transmog/cosmetic appearances".

Guildwars2 is almost already completely about appearance. I expect other games to follow.

One thing is for sure, we've seen what happens to games that embrace heavy vertical stat growth with each content cycle. WoW lost something for me when my character kept hitting for more and more hundreds of thousands of damage. It began to just reach absurd levels. There was no amount of monsters below level 90 that could scratch me unless there were special mechanics involved.

Just absurd.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by krondin

They should run the Valor bonus also during this time and/or increase the valor weekly cap!

The valor buff is trash guy...

Nobody gives a shit about i522 pieces.

Originally posted by Kost
    Originally posted by krondin

The valor buff is trash guy...

Nobody gives a shit about i522 pieces.

There are still the 3 weeks of doing nothing but earning 3000 valor for that one step of the cloak questline.

He might have been referring to that.