Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Promising myself not to teleport; can I do it?

JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
I've played this game 2 days and have decided to try to never teleport.  I had this ambition when I played FFXIV but it is literally impossible to get anything done in FFXIV unless you use teleporters.  So guys/gals who have been playing for a while - esp you role players - think I can get to my goals happily never use a map port?  :D

Comments

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    No, largely because the map comprises many rectangular, walled in instanced zones all of which are quite distinct from each other so it is not as if you will get that sense of traversing or exploring a continuous open world in any event.  
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Yes. Teleporting only really lets you empty your bags. You can level through the zones no problem, they're mostly connected by level so you won't have to run too much.  There will probably only be a few times where you'll want to port to cut down on a run, but otherwise shouldn't have an issue.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

It's very much possible.

We often did events where we would hold a race with level 1 characters from a starting city or zone to the middle of a high-level area like Orr, without teleporting. It always worked out, some people even avoided death completely.

Of course you'll still run into the zone loading screens.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

It is entirely possible.  It's extremely time consuming though.  I envy you if you have that kind of leisure time to spare.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Neat personal challenge to say the least. Unless you're running permanent swiftness, it's going to be pretty difficult. However, you can easily do it, as long as you keep on the move. I'd go for world exploration while doing the leveling process on a new toon, move through the zones in a way that will take you across the map headed towards the next zone you're wanting to get to. There's tons of little vendors all over the place to sell unwanted items, buy salvage kits, do armor repair. Considering how little stats matter as you're leveling through the lower level zones, you can sustain yourself on drops and heart vendors.

Hell, if you wanted further enticement to keep on with your challenge, you could blog/vlog/let's play/stream the challenge. It'll give you some accountability as well. Set up some ground rules, like can you waypoint to the closest location if you die or get stuck (stuck in the world, no way out situations).

Good luck!

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

It is entirely possible.  It's extremely time consuming though.  I envy you if you have that kind of leisure time to spare.

Hakuna matata.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    It is possible but man you will rage quite a bit during the storyline quests having you go from edge to edge of different zones.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    He can just skip the storyline quests if he wants can't he?

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Hi jem, I would definitely go for that, but allow yourself a port at the beginning of a gaming session (say to a location near your next personal story quest) and one at the end to wVw for a session before I log. I often play this way, pick a zone then just wander, good fun when you consider everything you gather feeds your luck score, gold or legendary materials. Also treat yourself to the gathering tools with infinity uses - saves a lot of hassle :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I sometimes go for weeks without using waypoints in GW2, when I just feel like immersing myself in the world.  I sometimes turn the UI off completely and just pick a place in the world to travel to without using the map.  It's amazing how much more familiar you can become with the world that way - the details you completely miss otherwise.  The world is very non-linear, and not as easy to travel through unguided as you might think.

Anyway, yeah, you can do it for however long you wish on a solo basis.  It's not always advisable when others are involved, however.  If you're trying to do guild bounties with your guild, you'll be called on to rush to a certain part of the world as fast as possible (ie. instantly).  If you want to do a dungeon with your guild, are you going to make them wait 20-30 minutes while you walk there?

I think it's healthy to be adaptable.  Turn on the immersion when you want, and turn it off when you need to for others' sake.   

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290

Wooden potatoes did a series with no waypoints or minimap, that was quite interesting, though I don't think I could give up the minimap (I will hide the icons though)

I try to avoid waypointing when I can because I stumble across loads of events, some I didn't even know existed :)

• PiratePetePiratePete Member Posts: 105
    Just play a guardian. Can roleplay walk across the whole continent and still be fine. PVE is ridiculously easy on guardians.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    You could keep that up for quite some time, but I doubt we'll be talking years here though. It's a pretty large world and if you're doing the personal story, that'll often direct you to teleporters. Not taking those is possible, but in the long run I doubt you'll be able to keep it up.

imageimage