Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All this negativity around EVE forces me to start again. But I need Help.

EridanixEridanix Member Posts: 426

Let's be known that I was playing EVE with some friends of mine who were one the Elitist of gear and ISK-making and his girlfriend the know-it-all. Consider that I was tired of everything and only wanted to try something new and challenging. By that time I was learning Icelandic, so that when she asked me for a new game to take a taste of it, i just pointed to EVE online. That's right. They both started a little cartel of working/processing/put-it-on-the-market/rinse and repeat. I was working IRL a lot of time and they were just loosing their time pretending to study something but reality was they were spending the whole day in EVE. Savings for University were saying goodbye to them, I think, but they were so dedicated to EVE as they were to WoW just before; when I arrived home and only wanted to play at my pace and style they were pushing me with a lot of: you don't play all the hours it need. We know everything about this and we are highly specialized so as we knew how to be important in WoW... and you are and always will be that prick who only knows how to kill people in UO, that ancient game and flagged red all the time.... OK, I said. Tired, treated as a real prick by my friends I admit I lose the route and the wits to play EVE the way I want to do it. Everyday at night arriving home I was reading the same kind of things.... And when they were attacked in null sec and blown up in pieces several times they just turned it off and back to WoW-safe harbour. 

And what about me? I found myself alone, disgusted and frustrated as my only in-game and IRL friends have gone. Then I analyzed my char progression and that was... puzzling, disoriented and really a joke. Some time after it all I got ill and lost conection to MMORPG's in general. 

By the time I recovered and came back home my so-called friends had blocked me from their social tools with a message saying: "when you want something come to X server of WoW, X guild and we will talk again". It was more crazy than I thought. So I forgot EVE but has been something I love because its uniqueness and beauty. And all the late negativity about it made me write  some post and when I read what I was pointing of, about people getting fired at San Francisco, and I felt sorry they lost their jobs, I realized I still want to be a part of EVE. But this time my way, not others' way. So that, I'm returning for the BEST. And for that I need your help, vets, your truly help. 

I've been always Minmatar with all my chars, only by the RPG and background story behind them, and it will not change, but I will start again from the scractch with a totally new char. But Alas, here's the main problem. I dont know how to start nor the way to follow to achieve to what this char will be created for, that is to be Full PvP oriented. I want this to be my way but I need you to be competent for this. Help me please. 

What template should i do? Which skills? which race? which skill-tree must I follow? Which implants will fit me? Which ship and equipment will provide me the probability to be good at what I want to? Which weapons? Which ammo? which everything? Explain me, please. You are vets and pretty genious at what you do. And I know it. 

So explain me it well, please. This time it will be my playstyle and doing this I will stay in EVE for years to come. As I really like it.

Be detailed, exigent and whatever you need to clear up this things to me. I will be a rookie again and I go to sleep happy, this night. Waiting for your wise advice coming to a fellow capsuleer.

Thanks in advance and fly safe!

It is a question of fangs.

Comments

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455

I've been playing EVE off and on since 2008 but it wasn't until recently when I joined a null-space renter corp that I felt like I really got committed to the game. Making ISK from mining, PI, ratting and production while at the same time handling the neuts, reds and the logistic problems that comes with living in 0-space will keep me occupied for years to come.

Perhaps it would suit you as well?

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• rengwerdarengwerda Member Posts: 21
    let me first start by saying. I know what you mean. :)))) playing for others isn't fun all the time.
    The question you ask is just massive, but let me help in a few ways.
    first, make all the characters you can. (all 3, per account) make them all about to do PI (planetary Interaction)
    dont worry to much about which space to start in. with 3 toons you can make some different personalities.
    with all able to do PI, (and if you have the time training towards cloaky transports)
    now focus a bit more on a single character. As all your guys have PI working and running you dont need to be training them all and can focus in a completely different direction.
    I personally made one guy, purely a trader, and refiner. all my good go to him, and all my good are sold and bought through him. my other(main) is pure guns blazing glory. and with that main you can go the way of PVP and or Pirating, or even out in 0.0, or focus on faction warfare or incursions. or exploration. sky's the limit in this sense. but you will get your feel back if you start off this way. it will take a little time, but its a good base for an account. plus. PI is a money maker over time(in the right places) no need to just do this on a single pilot..

ultimately you want to be making money, but building up again takes time. the pragmatic approach feels better i think. :)

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

I don't have the patience to answer your questions (some of them need a lot of detail) but I would like to talk against the two above posters.

One mentions a renter corp the other PI. Both will bore you to death (renters are the bane of nullsec, though I don't complain when they provide juicy fat killmails).

Join a newbie-friendly nullsec corporation like HERO or something.. or join Eve U.. or RvB.. something that gets you active in the PvP way of life. If you don't want to PvP I wouldn't play EvE.

You don't have to do PvP ALL the time, you can take  a break and find ways to make isk from the gazilion different posibilities.

..Cake..

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by Eridanix

Let's be known that I was playing EVE with some friends of mine who were one the Elitist of gear and ISK-making and his girlfriend the know-it-all. Consider that I was tired of everything and only wanted to try something new and challenging. By that time I was learning Icelandic, so that when she asked me for a new game to take a taste of it, i just pointed to EVE online. That's right. They both started a little cartel of working/processing/put-it-on-the-market/rinse and repeat. I was working IRL a lot of time and they were just loosing their time pretending to study something but reality was they were spending the whole day in EVE. Savings for University were saying goodbye to them, I think, but they were so dedicated to EVE as they were to WoW just before; when I arrived home and only wanted to play at my pace and style they were pushing me with a lot of: you don't play all the hours it need. We know everything about this and we are highly specialized so as we knew how to be important in WoW... and you are and always will be that prick who only knows how to kill people in UO, that ancient game and flagged red all the time.... OK, I said. Tired, treated as a real prick by my friends I admit I lose the route and the wits to play EVE the way I want to do it. Everyday at night arriving home I was reading the same kind of things.... And when they were attacked in null sec and blown up in pieces several times they just turned it off and back to WoW-safe harbour. 

And what about me? I found myself alone, disgusted and frustrated as my only in-game and IRL friends have gone. Then I analyzed my char progression and that was... puzzling, disoriented and really a joke. Some time after it all I got ill and lost conection to MMORPG's in general. 

By the time I recovered and came back home my so-called friends had blocked me from their social tools with a message saying: "when you want something come to X server of WoW, X guild and we will talk again". It was more crazy than I thought. So I forgot EVE but has been something I love because its uniqueness and beauty. And all the late negativity about it made me write  some post and when I read what I was pointing of, about people getting fired at San Francisco, and I felt sorry they lost their jobs, I realized I still want to be a part of EVE. But this time my way, not others' way. So that, I'm returning for the BEST. And for that I need your help, vets, your truly help. 

I've been always Minmatar with all my chars, only by the RPG and background story behind them, and it will not change, but I will start again from the scractch with a totally new char. But Alas, here's the main problem. I dont know how to start nor the way to follow to achieve to what this char will be created for, that is to be Full PvP oriented. I want this to be my way but I need you to be competent for this. Help me please. 

What template should i do? Which skills? which race? which skill-tree must I follow? Which implants will fit me? Which ship and equipment will provide me the probability to be good at what I want to? Which weapons? Which ammo? which everything? Explain me, please. You are vets and pretty genious at what you do. And I know it. 

So explain me it well, please. This time it will be my playstyle and doing this I will stay in EVE for years to come. As I really like it.

Be detailed, exigent and whatever you need to clear up this things to me. I will be a rookie again and I go to sleep happy, this night. Waiting for your wise advice coming to a fellow capsuleer.

Good story, hope your friends get hacked and loose all pixels in WoW :p j/k

I'll try to answer a part of your question(s) the way I see it.

First of all I would not start a new account if you own an older account. The only real change would be a new avatar with a new backround story. That and ofc all the skills lost, which is a shame. You can start learning another -non Minmatar- racial ship line but at least you will have some support skills trained or you might even decide to continue Minmatar training in another week.

If you want to PvP and be remotely successful you need to specialize ASAP.  As a new player this means focusing frigates-destroyers-(maybe cruiser) of one race (and respective skills required for a fighter) and NOTHING else. Forget bigger ships for a year or two because there is a lot of support skills to train up and since they are in general more costly you  might not have money to replace  them as easily as small ships. And if you want to be successful in PvP you have to invest a good ammount of money in good equipment because cheap fits won't net you many kills.  This is if you want to solo PvP. You can do a lot  with very cheap fits flying support ships but you need people who you can support.

It doesn't really matter which racial line you train into as long as you stick to it. No matter what  you pick you will find good and bad ships for what you want to do and even the best ships have counter ships, so really don't worry(!), just go for what you think  looks cool and what you feel will give you more fun. Even so, grass is always greener on the other side so I promise no matter what you pick, at some point you will look at other ships and wish you could already fly that.

First of all download EVEMon, and fiddle around with that. It's a skill planer. It's almost a must have tool. You can find and check all the skills you need to make you a stronger PvP pilot. I won't go into details, just start using it and you will soon understand.

Anything that you don't understand, use google.

Half of game is enjoying the exploration and learning the ways of EvE.

If to play a game requires you to have one master plan served (for the next 2-3 years) to follow than EvE is probably not for you.

Just remember EvE requires patience, 2+ monitors and THE most important part, in EvE knowledge wins. Knowing the system and what your oponent can do, will win you the most fights (or save you from dieing).

Oh and. if you dislike looking for  more specialized guilds that require certain schedules, than I suggest joining either one of the Faction Warfare corps or RvB (Red vs Blue) alliance/ corp although be warned RvB while having open recruitment policy, it is not a place to earn money as much as a place to spend money in explosions.  In FW you can still make good profits afaik.

• EridanixEridanix Member Posts: 426
    @Caldicot: first thanks for your answer, I think in the long run I will be there. That's my hope. Now I'm trying to recruit friends to work with me on EVE, but man, it's a difficult task. Anyways, good advice from you. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Don't bother trying to bring friends with you to EVE, it appeals to such a narrow niche of players your odds of actually finding one in your RL circle of friends is quite small.

Plan on making new friends in game, the very competitive environment strongly encouraged people to seek each other out in all types of communities, you will find helpful people everywhere.

One concern from your OP,it almost seems like you rely on your friends to provide the fun. EVE is a MMORPG where you need to learn to bring the fun to others, either by helping in joint endeavors or showing them why it is a terrible idea to AFK travel in highsec these days.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

@Kyleran

True. All I've got from mmo players friends is a "this is not a game" and "maybe...(that means they will consider it when the sun starts fading to black).

Your point of view is remarkably clear and challenging, and now that I'm in again, I find a shining new world, that in other times I was blind in front of.)

I'm impressed now. Things have changed or maybe it's me who changed but now it shines powerful in colors and about all, posibilities!

Originally posted by StarI
    Originally posted by Eridanix

Good story, hope your friends get hacked and loose all pixels in WoW :p j/k

I'll try to answer a part of your question(s) the way I see it.

First of all I would not start a new account if you own an older account. The only real change would be a new avatar with a new backround story. That and ofc all the skills lost, which is a shame. You can start learning another -non Minmatar- racial ship line but at least you will have some support skills trained or you might even decide to continue Minmatar training in another week.

If you want to PvP and be remotely successful you need to specialize ASAP.  As a new player this means focusing frigates-destroyers-(maybe cruiser) of one race (and respective skills required for a fighter) and NOTHING else. Forget bigger ships for a year or two because there is a lot of support skills to train up and since they are in general more costly you  might not have money to replace  them as easily as small ships. And if you want to be successful in PvP you have to invest a good ammount of money in good equipment because cheap fits won't net you many kills.  This is if you want to solo PvP. You can do a lot  with very cheap fits flying support ships but you need people who you can support.

It doesn't really matter which racial line you train into as long as you stick to it. No matter what  you pick you will find good and bad ships for what you want to do and even the best ships have counter ships, so really don't worry(!), just go for what you think  looks cool and what you feel will give you more fun. Even so, grass is always greener on the other side so I promise no matter what you pick, at some point you will look at other ships and wish you could already fly that.

First of all download EVEMon, and fiddle around with that. It's a skill planer. It's almost a must have tool. You can find and check all the skills you need to make you a stronger PvP pilot. I won't go into details, just start using it and you will soon understand.

Anything that you don't understand, use google.

Half of game is enjoying the exploration and learning the ways of EvE.

If to play a game requires you to have one master plan served (for the next 2-3 years) to follow than EvE is probably not for you.

Just remember EvE requires patience, 2+ monitors and THE most important part, in EvE knowledge wins. Knowing the system and what your oponent can do, will win you the most fights (or save you from dieing).

Oh and. if you dislike looking for  more specialized guilds that require certain schedules, than I suggest joining either one of the Faction Warfare corps or RvB (Red vs Blue) alliance/ corp although be warned RvB while having open recruitment policy, it is not a place to earn money as much as a place to spend money in explosions.  In FW you can still make good profits afaik.

Well, first of all, I would like to thank every and one of you who posted giving me ideas and solutions when a big problem struggled in. 

So I think the right thing to do is to explain what I've done with your help and how have I managed to understand your different points of view and add it in a large frame of what I consider is wide knowledge.

But first. StarI, yes, thanks to you as you pointed major problems and solutions out, and give me the starting ideas, and I knew you were in a big level of comprehension of what is EVE when you stated " THE most important part, in EvE knowledge wins. Knowing the system and what your oponent can do, will win you the most fights", this says everything about EVE, as it not only involves PvP but a lot of activities in New Eden.

Oh, the story, I don't know if its a good story but at least is an actual story; and for what you said about them, common friends from their guild who knows people from my fantasy MMO guild are whinning and going crazy about the changes and the injustice of the instant level jump on Warlords of Draenor and a lot of things more that I'm unable to remember. They feel like Blizzard is doing all the possible to what that guild call newbs to be on the same level of them. They call newbs to people who aren't raiding every weekend... that's all I know, and is more than enough for me.

Well. and now the final chapter: I put up things with my main character and now I'm in the brink to reach Tech2 weapons. It's two weeks and I'm there. I joined a relaxed but experienced Corp and created a new char in order to go experimental about some of your other suggestions.

So that's all. Thanks, mates! Fly Safe!