Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: 5 More of the Worst Types of MMO Players

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week’s list of The Top 5 Worst Types of MMO Players was so successful, we decided to listen to you guys and put together another list of the other worst types of MMO players. We took some tips from the comments and have five more for everyone to read about and, more importantly, try to correct in games. With the impending launch of ArcheAge so close on the horizon now, an influx of new players and elite players alike will surely shape that community quickly.

Read more of David Jagneaux's The List: 5 More of the Worst Types of MMO Players.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LiquidElectronLiquidElectron Member UncommonPosts: 18

My least favorite is the 'Entitled', the ones that play a F2P title and demand that they have access to everything possibly available for no cost 'because the game is free'.

I see this so much now.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Gold farmers are potentially the worst - due to the fact that many use stolen accounts and stolen credit cards to run their bot operations.

Scum of the gaming world.

Also since they are automated, you can't harass them because no one's going to read it anyway.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by LiquidElectron

My least favorite is the 'Entitled', the ones that play a F2P title and demand that they have access to everything possibly available for no cost 'because the game is free'.

I see this so much now.

I actually blame the developers for this.

And I agree with DMKano about the gold spammers being the worst. Criminals.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

3 more:

Whale:

Basically why F2P exists, these players usually have an unlimited cash resource (be it from their own wealth or their unsuspecting mom's credit card). Companies roll out the red carpet for these gamers and rightfully so, unfortunately as a result it trivializes most other gamers.

Parasite:

Pretty much the opposite of the whale... They contribute nothing to the game, yet expect everything for free and leave it up to the whales to fund their game play. Once they have exhausted as much free content as they possibly can,  they move on looking for a new host... Perhaps virus would be a better term to describe these players.

Tourist:

We all know these guys and gals, they join a game with no clear intention on staying, most of the time it is just to "try it out" only to later complain about the game on forums or whatnot. Once a trial is up (or free month or whatever) they spend more time out of the game then they did playing it talking about how bad it is. It is pretty much their goal to try out everything just to say "yeah I played that" yet commit to nothing.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227

Legitimate gold spammers, and I say that as loosely as possible to describe ones that are not on stolen accounts.. do provide a certain something to a games economy. When mass bans occur I think many of us have noticed an increase in prices and a serious drop in supply of farmed goods that real players want nothing to do with.

I think gold spammers are fairly well placed at number 4.

But where are hackers?!

• KaaltetKaaltet Member Posts: 8
    Entitled assholes who think their reasons for playing the game (and the way they play the game) are the correct ways, and the people who don't do things the way they do them somehow don't deserve to play at all.
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

min/max players who care only about efficiency in numbers are the worst

when you get to that point you should just quit gaming IMO (or just play cookie clicker). all the fun and glamour is dead, all that's left is cold mathematics

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Personally, I like to use the term newb and noob. Noob is pretty much what you detail a useless noob as. Newb to me is just a new person that doesn't know the game completely but tries. There are plenty of people who are terrible at start but actually try to get good at the game and not just drag other people down and waste their time.

• LeiHngWeiLeiHngWei Member UncommonPosts: 67

I see this so much now.

I totally agree with this. They want the rewards, but won't get off their ass to work for it.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Gold farmers are potentially the worst - due to the fact that many use stolen accounts and stolen credit cards to run their bot operations.

I actually feel bad for gold farmers when you think it's probably some kid in a 3rd world country playing the game as a shitty job for like 50 cents an hour. The people who actually run those gold selling sites can go to hell though.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by LeiHngWei

I see this so much now.

I totally agree with this. They want the rewards, but won't get off their ass to work for it.

Well the problem comes from "free to play" often being a deliberately somewhat deceptive marketing term [yes you can play the game for free but we're not actually going to make it fun for you unless you pay.] . Should just call these games "microtransaction supported" or something but then not as many suckers would download it.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by iridescence

I actually feel bad for gold farmers when you think it's probably some kid in a 3rd world country playing the game as a shitty job for like 50 cents an hour. The people who actually run those gold selling sites can go to hell though.

Nobody ever seems to go after the gold buyers, they're the reason virtual gold farming industries can exist. If you could make some profit off of lazy dumb americans who have fun with their hobby by buying shortcuts, why wouldn't you?

• PegasusUKPegasusUK Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by Grakulen

I see this so much now.

Absolutely, spot on.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I think the criminals (goldseller hackers) are the worst but the ones that just bug me are the beggars. I tend to be pretty generous in the games I play but I honestly have little to no patience for the player begging for gold/plat/whatever at level 2 in the trade channel. That players actually send this character whatever they are begging for really gets my back up.

Guess I'm more of a "teach a man to fish..." kinda person.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Negative Nancy and The Whiner are one in the same.  It's basically a person that finds everything negative about a game, a group, a situation in general and complains about it constantly.  They're the most toxic player possible and claim "GG" in a PvP match after the 1st point (even in a 20+ point system!).  It's ridiculous.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

Where's the link to the original list, because this one was uber-douchey.

And gold-spammers aren't players, they're bots. Sounds like you needed a fifth to fill out what should have been a list of four.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

This is just a negative article about others being negative and ultimately serves no purpose.

These are the worst types of any gamer, not just MMOs (except Gold spammers), which you could replace with cheater/hacker just as easy for other types of games.

They exist and there is little you can do about it except to continue not being any of these.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Jaedor

Guess I'm more of a "teach a man to fish..." kinda person.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    Odd how noob now means new playing and the term useless must be attached, back in the day we used to use the word newb or newbie to point out someone new to the game but willing to learn and noob as someone who is new and doesn't want to learn.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• lukazmlukazm Member UncommonPosts: 4

I see this so much now.

What? Work their what? are you saying that I can have EXACTLY the same gear, potions, buffs, mounts, scrolls, and whatnot that someone who PAYS just WORKING for it? OMG... I believe the worst of the worst (before gold spammers) are those who think are better than the rest because they paid for what they have instead of breaking their asses, you would be dead if the genre wasn't so easy right now with all the cash shop and item mall... luckily I still have my FF XIV account and i'm actually breaking my ass to get what i want there.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    #5 and #1 make up most of this sites forum posters :-p. Baaazing!

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Grakulen

I see this so much now.

Yeah no doubt they are annoying but in the end they are just trying to make a living.... what purpose does fanboys has in their constant spamming of general chat? 

• RinggiRinggi Member Posts: 2
    You forgot about the BRs 
  • exhellexhell Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by lukazm

I see this so much now.

What? Work their what? are you saying that I can have EXACTLY the same gear, potions, buffs, mounts, scrolls, and whatnot that someone who PAYS just WORKING for it? OMG... I believe the worst of the worst (before gold spammers) are those who think are better than the rest because they paid for what they have instead of breaking their asses, you would be dead if the genre wasn't so easy right now with all the cash shop and item mall... luckily I still have my FF XIV account and i'm actually breaking my ass to get what i want there.

I'm pretty sure the person who actually pays to play a game actually "breaks his ass" harder then a gamer...who just plays.. I've never broken a sweat playing an MMO, I dunno about you..

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Haha yeah I was thinking that myself. The irony that you have to sit on your ass to play the game. And it really shouldn't involve any "work". I think some people are way too used to MMOs feeling like a chore that they forget games are supposed to be fun.