Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] H1Z1: It's Us Against Zombies

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Senior Designer Jimmy Whisenhunt was pretty sure about what he wanted for SOE's upcoming Zombie apocalypse survival MMO, H1Z1. “It’s got to make sense,” he said, “the game design has to be accessible and logical.”

Read more of Carolyn Koh's H1Z1: It's Us Against Zombies.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

I kind of feel the zombie fad has come and gone already.    The current zeitgeist seems to be moving back into a cold war type mindset except the enemies are more brutal and Nazi like instead of brainless zombies.   Maybe EQNext will capture that essence.  

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by VicodinTaco

I kind of feel the zombie fad has come and gone already.    The current zeitgeist seems to be moving back into a cold war type mindset except the enemies are more brutal and Nazi like instead of brainless zombies.   Maybe EQNext will capture that essence.  

You'd be wrong.  Zombie games, and more importantly Zombie Survival games are becoming their own genre and are growing.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by VicodinTaco

You'd be wrong.  Zombie games, and more importantly Zombie Survival games are becoming their own genre and are growing.

I'd have to agree. There seems to be no end of ways for developers to keep introducing us to our Brain eating zombie friends. If we take a look at Films and T.V for guidance we have only scratched the surface of Zombie survival games.

So long as the games are done well I see no reason for more of them to make their way to our Hd's, just like any Fantasy game, you will always get plenty of crap along with some real diamonds.

• kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237

I for one am sick of the zombie genre, more specifically sick of the way they are making these games. If there ever was a "zombie apocalypse" the problem wouldn't be the zombies it would be humans vs humans as human nature takes over. The only game that has even come close to capturing this feel and theme has been telltale with their walking dead games.

We don't know which direction they are taking with this yet, but if they go the "go the this ridge and kill 20 infected zombies route" the word mediocrity won't be strong enough. 

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I just want a zombie game that's more intense and persistent at the same time. I don't care for chopping wood and making bows. Something like surviving the early days of an outbreak in a city would be more fun.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Love what you guys are doing Jimmy!  This isn't just another zombie, "map" like some of the others...this will be an mmo...love it.  

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    So another open world pvp game no thanks.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    At this point it seems really generic with a lot of talk behind it.
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    At this point it seems really generic with a lot of talk behind it.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

When u get old and notice u losing on counter strike and others fast pace fps games, u start like slow survival zombie games:)

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    If this has open pvp I won't play it, because the game then just turns into a gank fest and nothing more. Happened with DayZ and others like H1Z1, secodn the open pvp comes the zombies become a joke since the only threat becomes every other player you see.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266

Originally posted by kellian1
    I for one am sick of the zombie genre, more specifically sick of the way they are making these games. If there ever was a "zombie apocalypse" the problem wouldn't be the zombies it would be humans vs humans as human nature takes over. 

Originally posted by Siveria
    If this has open pvp I won't play it, because the game then just turns into a gank fest and nothing more. Happened with DayZ and others like H1Z1, secodn the open pvp comes the zombies become a joke since the only threat becomes every other player you see.

lol.... the power of opinions

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I never got into the whole zombie thing much. However, after months and months of constant badgering from my friends on how I should watch The Walking Dead, I finally caved in.

Now that I've seen it, I'm looking forward to this game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    I really hope they manage to design the game play in such a way that players are strongly encouraged to band together to survive the zombie hordes rather than spend all their time trying to kill each other.

If so, likely I'll give it a try.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Interesting, Sony owned SOE is going up against Microsoft and their partner Undead labs here for the zombie fans.

My bet is still on Undead labs right now though, if nothing else because Jeff Strain leads it (Diablo, Warcraft 3, Gw1 and early GW2), he have been lead designer or more than one of the top 20 sold PC games of all times.

Then again, nothing is ever sure until we tried both games.

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Week 1: You download and play. The newness and discovery fuels your extended play.

Week 2: More and more, you realize this has little to do with zombies or apocalypse survival. It's really about preteens with sniper rifles head-shotting you from 850 yards.

Week 3: You uninstall H1DayZ1, and drop me a note thanking me for not spending a cent on this game.
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by Alalala
    Week 1: You download and play. The newness and discovery fuels your extended play.

Week 2: More and more, you realize this has little to do with zombies or apocalypse survival. It's really about preteens with sniper rifles head-shotting you from 850 yards.

Week 3: You uninstall H1DayZ1, and drop me a note thanking me for not spending a cent on this game.

Pretty much what it will be if there is open pvp. If they want pvp keep it in a special seperate zone thats optional, was alot of sandbox games lately that tout "open pvp!" second they do I just close the page, because it'll just be a shitty gankfest. Open pvp does not work in the usa/north america, the community is too damn immature for it.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Well it can't be any worse than WarZ/Dayz/Rust/7days2die/Nether and the rest of those half assed zombie/survival games that barely work.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I like the crafting part but ONLY if it opens up every 10 levels and is not like their other games where every 10 levels is a repeat of the same old just with more dmg.Example  if "making sense" then Wooden Arrows >Stone Arrows>Combination arrows>Metal arrows>special material arrows>Arrows with multiple effects you see the point.What SOE is typical of doing is using the exact same icon for every arrow and just adding more dmg.

My infamous term i ALWAYS use is >Effort,will SOE give this game some effort.I say this because since it is at this point an over used genre "killing Zombies"the game needs some depth and effort to keep it interesting otherwise people will just say "whatever,another Zombie game".

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Originally posted by Alalala

There is wolfs and bears. they attack to playes,zombies and deers too.

but u got point, currently game is KOS like Dayz.

Sure its nice u can build or make house to be some sort bunker, but whats the point? just camp there hours for nothing.

sure its about survival and stay a life long as posible but after u done that 50 time... gets really old fast.

hope clan system bring players together. not whitout carrot tho...

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    The problem with Zombie games so far have been the players, not the games themselves.  DayZ in particular.  I want a game where people group up to survive, like The Walking Dead, but all the FPS people have jumped in and just play it like a shooter with some zombie npcs in there for flavor.
  • TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Remember, guns and ammo are supposed to be very rare. If this is the case, it could lend to a whole new system of survival in a PVP-PVE environment. Which do you save your few shots for?

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Well, I will still play it even if they don't have PvE servers. But I really hope they do have some consensual pvp only servers. I really don't see a reason not to, especially if they are trying to focus more on the us vs zombies thing than us vs each other like DayZ.

Does DayZ even have zombies? Seems like everything I see is just players hand cuffing each other and taking their clothes lol.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    They really need to do the PvP system like SWG. Flag yourself for PvP and gain 1.5x to skill points or exp or crafting drops. Don't flip the switch, then you can buy pots at the cash shop. (of course you could stack if you got the guts)

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

When u get old and notice u losing on counter strike and others fast pace fps games, u start like slow survival zombie games:)

Ironic that you say that considering that Jimmy is an ex-Counterstrike pro who is associated with many other professional CS players.