Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think was the best expansion period in WoW?

I think it was WotLK. Second, it was BC. What about you?

Comments

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Agreed, WotLK then Pandaria.  Worst was Cataclysm.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    TBC was the best, then WotLK.  The rest were crap.
  • PhoenixC13PhoenixC13 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Wrath then BC. Hate pandaria though.

• heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Originally posted by Pepeq

agree

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Classic was golden age for me. WoTLK being second place
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by mindw0rk
    Classic was golden age for me. WoTLK being second place

Well I loved vanilla the best, but he said expansions, so ...

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by Pepeq

Agreed.

• NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257
    In my opinion, WOTLK hands down. Good times!
  • daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

I think BC.

cat the worst.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I played vanilla BC and wotlk then I got bored and quit so from what I played BC was best. 
  • Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357

Wrath, then BC.  

Wrath introduced a lot of things that I feel soon became detriments to MMOs, unfortunately.  But damn, was it an ambitious and amazing expansion.  Best expansion any game has ever had, IMO.  

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Well, if also the classic game counts, then for me personally

1.: Classic. Because there was so much to discover and 40 man raids were both fun and frustrating.

2. WotLK: Because I was raiding there (for a while) and I liked the theme.

3. BC, because it was the first expansion to discover.

4. MoP, because the mini pet battles was lots of fun and a new class got added. 

5. Cataclysm, because why not.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

TBC - It added without changing, or taking away from the fundamentals of the game.

WotLK did also, but it started the trend of simplifying the player choices. And heralded the overall lazy design that followed in subsequent patchs, updates, expansions.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Wotlk and BC were both awesome in their own ways, i can't deceide which one i like better.

Quit 2 weeks before Cata for good, didn't want to deal with all the nonsense changes and dump downs.

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Vanilla and TBC
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I played vanilla BC and wotlk then I got bored and quit so from what I played BC was best. 

I agree with this. For me, after TBC it really started to go down hill.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• HawksterHawkster Member UncommonPosts: 57
    BC, then Wrath....they could have skipped Catatonic and Pandaland imho
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Why does everyone dog Cata? Because it did more for new player/alt characters than end game? I thought it was brilliant changing up the old zones and Gobs and Worgen are both fantastic races with great starting zones. Cata is actually my favorite expansion.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    WoD is already my least favorite. No new class, no new race, seems mostly PvP focused... blech!

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Cata zone design was awful, flying + destroyed old content (blizzard don't get nostalgia it seems)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• RedCurryRedCurry Member UncommonPosts: 70

1. Wrath of the Lich King

2. Burning Crusade

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

Burning Crusade. by that time everything was still new and exciting and it was the first xpac so i had no real clue of what that would be like unlike later ones...

the ones that followed have been allright as far as themes go.. except for MoP. 

the pandas and the asian styled theme felt too off for me(yes yes i know they're all supposed to be part of the lore but eh)

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310

I think they all had their ups and downs. 

BC raids were fun and interesting. Kara was a fun. Illidian was tough and felt amazing completing.

LK raids were fun and the questing became more interesting. During LK Heroic raids became a thing and created a buffer for the hardcore and the casuals. Fighting heroic LK took everything and was no joke. It was also the first time for having phased quests which allowed for people who completed certain quests to experience more after completing the quests. 

Cata redid tons of older areas and quests. It made the lore stronger and made older areas fun to play again, the raids were just so so, nothing was special to me. 

Panda was probably the weakest of them all. The raids and quests were subpar compared to them all. 

WoD looks like its bringing back the fun raids as well as better quests.

• KommoKommo Member Posts: 12

Haven't played MoP, and only briefly tried Cata, but without doubt best is BC.

While Outland was step towards linearization of questing and moving PvP towards arena, it was still amazing. Everything actually bad happened pre-patch WotLK and onwards.

5-man dungeon content especially, which was closest to my heart, was way different then. Low level dungeons still packed a punch and so did BC heroics. There were raids that I couldn't reach, and that was fun feeling. You had to still search for groups on same server; awesome. Professions still were something. PvP was blooming, world PvP was still possible. Etc.

WotLK had it's moment with Ulduar, and I do prefer the questing a bit, but there was just so much crap after crap since the nerf of low level dungeons and BC raids just before WotLK.

For me biggest hits were low level dungeon nerfs, easymode raids and heroics in early WotLK, then that silly tournament arena raid after Ulduar (can't even remember name), dungeon finder (I quit when this came) and when I tried Cata the revamp of old world killed the rest the game had to offer me. I played so many alts through that old Azeroth, and everytime I found something new, can't say same about the current shape of it. Coudln't handle that, so had to say goodbye to the game for good.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

1. TBC (aside from flying mounts, never been a fan personally, but it's minor)

2. Cata (Loved the redone 1-60 content)

3. WotLK (Never enjoyed Northrend and it's questing for some reason, DK's were spiffy though)

And I've not played any MoP so I can't comment on it. Looking to sub again some day and go 1-90 for shits and giggles.