Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Firefall: Turning Their Fate Around

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

After a turbulent beta, FireFall has finally launched, surprising us all with a much improved MMO shooter. During Gamescom, columnist Gareth Harmer caught up with Red 5 designer David Williams to get an update on the current state on the game, and a couple of hints on what’s coming down the pipeline.

Read more of Gareth Harmer's Firefall: Turning Their Fate Around.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by Gdemami
    The amount of attention and oddly positive appraisal  this lackluskter/fail game gets on this site is ridiculous...

I know right? I really liked the idea that gears could totally break in this game and then looked at the cash shop, found out we can avoid that by paying. total fail for me. stopped playing within an hour. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755

Been playing Firefall the last couple of weks and are having quite some fun with it. 

It isnt a game designed to last for long, but for the little while, it is fun to explore the world and try the different guns

One of the better "multiplayer" games to come out in recent years. 

I wouldnt come there with the expectations that this is a real MMORPG, because it is just a shooter.

To me, it is a better version of Wildstar, better graphics, better gameplay, more fun.

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    The amount of attention and oddly positive appraisal  this lackluskter/fail game gets on this site is ridiculous...

I know right? I really liked the idea that gears could totally break in this game and then looked at the cash shop, found out we can avoid that by paying. total fail for me. stopped playing within an hour. 

Uh what? 

Gear breaking was removed in beta.

You can NOT pay to replace your gear since it NEVER BREAKS.

You ONLY PAY CRYSTITE to repair indefinitely.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

The game is a blast.

Glad to see mmorpg giving such an amazing mmo the attention it rightfully deserves!

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
    I wonder if these people that call it lackluster have even gone to Devil's Tusk, have participated in Chosen incursions, have participated in the Orbital Communications Tower event, have participated in many of the dynamic events that do not appear on the map, etc.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg

Originally posted by ITPalg
    I wonder if these people that call it lackluster have even gone to Devil's Tusk, have participated in Chosen incursions, have participated in the Orbital Communications Tower event, have participated in many of the dynamic events that do not appear on the map, etc.

They most likely haven't.

Part of FireFall’s original design also had three corporations – Astrek, Omnidyne and Enermax – that offered equipment, each focusing on a particular stat at the expense of others. Those corporations are still in-game to provide leveling gear, but that’s likely to change.

When was this interview done?

Enermax was never really a big corporation that I remember going back a year in beta. They have signs but it was and still is Kisuton that is the third.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg

• GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225

Enermax was never really a big corporation that I remember going back a year in beta. They have signs but it was and still is Kisuton that is the third.

Gamescom, so mid-August. I do agree with you on Kisuton, but Enermax is what Williams referred to throughout the session. I'll ping Red 5 for a clarification though, and update as needed.

Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • blazehammerblazehammer Member UncommonPosts: 20
    The fun part of the gamers these days is that if they don't like a game it is a fail... A lot of people like the game guys, deal with it. It not failed it changed, and for better imo. I play it since be a CBT was something hard to achieve, they're was not sending keys to every child and not selling them too. And i can say the game is far better now than it was in the CBT process; it's just different. It have a long road to become something really better, it still have issues with balance and end game but this was expected since a so drastically change occurred just before the launch. But it is going well for now. Try it without a biased mind and you wil notice it.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    It is very rare for a game on this site to score below a 7 in an official review.  I think PC Gamer gave this game a real review.  It is a fun game to jump in and play an hour but has the staying power of a fart in the wind.  In 6 months the servers will be bare again and this comes from a person who has been a strong supporter/player of this game for 3 years and paid for the commander package back when the game was very different.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by blazehammer
    The fun part of the gamers these days is that if they don't like a game it is a fail...

It is purely about money, nothing to do with personal preference.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

You don't need to have an informed opinion to post negative feed back here. Playing a game 2 years ago in beta is more than enough experience to be a know-it-all about the game.

• d4rkwingd4rkwing Member Posts: 32
    I played beta but forgot about it because it was horrible. I tried it again a couple of weeks ago and it's actually pretty good now. If the idea of an FPSMMORPG intrigues you, you should try it out.
    Originally posted by DamonVile

You don't need to have an informed opinion to post negative feed back here. Playing a game 2 years ago in beta is more than enough experience to be a know-it-all about the game.

Someone that only played it two years ago in a closed beta knows nothing about it.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

a game that almost embraced death and returned stronger deserves the attention its getting. Whether it fully recovers or not that depends on the devs effort to make it worth the second chance.

Originally posted by rojoArcueid

a game that almost embraced death and returned stronger deserves the attention its getting. Whether it fully recovers or not that depends on the devs effort to make it worth the second chance.  

The game was released only because so much money was already dumped into the game, and that is something I wouldn't call "returned stronger".

Sadly it seems that same people responsible for lackluster development are still in charge so the root issue wasn't fixed...

Originally posted by rojoArcueid

The game was released only because so much money was already dumped into the game, and that is something I wouldn't call "returned stronger".

Show me the inner thoughts and motivations of the heart (I know you can't) and financial papers detailing this as the reason.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg

Show me the inner thoughts and motivations of the heart (I know you can't) and financial papers detailing this as the reason.

Inner? It is all public info and fairly common sense - you do not drop a project that cost you so much, you release it in w/e state to just recoup some of the loss you are already taking.

R5 secured 23M at the begining of the year. Considering the brutal changes just prior release and no testing period, you know they really did run out of money and had to release the game asap.

What is so hard to grasp about it?

Yeah, 2 years of reworks are expensive...

Inner? It is all public info and fairly common sense - you do not drop a project that cost you so much, you release it in w/e state to just recoup some of the loss you are already taking.

R5 secured 23M at the begining of the year. Considering the brutal changes just prior release and no testing period, you know they really did run out of money and had to release the game asap.

What is so hard to grasp about it?

Yeah, 2 years of reworks are expensive...

To be clear to those not in the know, there were people that were and probably still are under an NDA for a "delta" testing period.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg

To be clear to those not in the know, there were people that were and probably still are under an NDA for a "delta" testing period.

[mod edit]

Most of the massive changes were release in release build within early access. So yes, there was no testing period - the changes went directly live.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

To you trolls, you know who you are. 

None of your comments reflect what FF currently is. Yep, some of it is dated but for the most part is is now a rock solid title with a tremendous room to grow. The concepts and ideas employed provide the best of two distinct worlds, MMO  and FPS. 

I spent a lot of time in New Eden over the weekend. So much to do between ARES jobs, ARES events, wondering encounters and other content. The lore and world are unique. Zones are HUGE and do have a very OPEN feel. There is good variety in Frame types. 

It's F2P so give it a shot. 

[mod edit]

Most of the massive changes were release in release build within early access. So yes, there was no testing period - the changes went directly live.

http://forums.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/path-to-launch-updates.4047321/#post-62654221

For the past several months, we’ve been hard at work making sure that Firefall will be ready for this month’s launch. Along the way, we’ve also been listening to your feedback in response to our Path to Launch blogs, as well as feedback and data we’ve gathered from our closed Delta testing.

http://forums.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/the-public-test-server-pts-returns.5103321/#post-75245021

FYI for past Delta Testers: Your NDA is still in effect. Nothing you experienced on the Delta PTS Server should be posted about in these forums now that they are public and open to everyone. Thanks!

http://forums.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/when-will-firefalls-world-be-dynamic-again.4879021/page-3#post-72326721

We have a PTS server that went closed for our recent Delta Test, but we do have plans to bring it back for public use and to put builds there before they make it to the live server. Stay tuned!

Cheers,

Brandon

ad hominem

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Tekaelon

To you trolls, you know who you are. 

None of your comments reflect what FF currently is. Yep, some of it is dated but for the most part is is now a rock solid title with a tremendous room to grow. The concepts and ideas employed provide the best of two distinct worlds, MMO  and FPS. 

I spent a lot of time in New Eden over the weekend. So much to do between ARES jobs, ARES events, wondering encounters and other content. The lore and world are unique. Zones are HUGE and do have a very OPEN feel. There is good variety in Frame types. 

It's F2P so give it a shot. 

You have the true path of the game that the people playing know and then you have the troll path of the game that people who have a little knowledge and a lot of negativity like to create. They often create two totally different games. The real one, and the forum one.

SWTOR is a lot like that. If you go into the game you see an active mmo with many...many people all playing and having fun. You come here and you'll get 400 pages of people saying ti failed, flopped it's dead blah blah blah.  

I think these people just like to hate on things and are so full of themselves they believe anything they type. They're not really interested in knowing the truth about a game.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Top game, loads of fun, thoroughly recommend the launch game!
    Originally posted by emota
    Top game, loads of fun, thoroughly recommend the launch game!

Not much more to say than that, can't argue with the truth.