Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why so little hype for Skyforge?

akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123

Looking at some of the Alpha stuff, and the way they plan to implement progression, I have to say I am pretty amazed by this new direction which they are using for Skyforge.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    What's Skyforge? That's your answer.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by akkedis86

Looking at some of the Alpha stuff, and the way they plan to implement progression, I have to say I am pretty amazed by this new direction which they are using for Skyforge.

You haven't gotten the memo?  Linear, Quest based Themeparks are a dime a dozen and are going no where.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123

But really I think they are opening the game even more. 

It is pretty appealing to me, despite the concern that Allods is at all involved here. 

PVP looks pretty cool too. (Not sure how legit this is)

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Skyforge appears to be a very good game.  Not enough info on it yet to justify hype.  It is also quite a bit away from release.  If it continues in it's current path, however, the hype will come.  Give it time.  I know I am interested. 

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

All indications are pointing to generic instanced themepark mmo.
    Sorry but those stopped being fun many years ago.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Mothanos

...which will no doubt have an extensive Cash Shop supporting it, along with a very sophisticated monetization scheme.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

Game is hub based.

/end hype

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Originally posted by Heretique

Game is hub based.

/end hype

Honestly, the hub-based nature has me excited. Reminds me of Guild Wars 1.

And yet I can't really put myself out there and "hype" any more MMOs. I rode the Guild Wars 2 train for 5 years from its announce date to its launch. I rode the WildStar train. I rode a few others. I'm a little bit done.

I think, more than anything, the lack of hope (or rather hype) is exhaustion on the part of the MMO community. 

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    As with any mmo now, I will take a wait and see approach and avoid the hype. 
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Well, its free to play so I'm already less excited. But I don't I've seen a lot of press about this game anyway, positive press that is.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    OP, dont believe IGN..... the hype is a lie.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Um the swords in this game aren't big enough, make them an even 40 feet and this game is the next Wow Killer.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

what a lot of people dont seem to fully understand is that hype is paid for.

Its a marketing tactic. 

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

what a lot of people dont seem to fully understand is that hype is paid for.

Its a marketing tactic. 

It is, but a majority of hype tends to occur community-end.

It only takes a few expertly-placed choice words and a few blog posts to stir up a crowd of raving lunatics who will then blow the hype out of proportion and do the advertising FOR the company - long before the game is even released. 

Mere advertising concepts - things are are cheaply, but expertly, presented - can get potential customers riled up to an absurd degree. Think back on the Camelot Unchained kickstarter. Supporters of the kickstarter got so out-of-hand with their forum posts and kickstarter-link-spam that the situation ended with the developers themselves having to tell their supporters to settle down. All of that wasn't paid for. It was the result of a small amount of marketing that blew way, way out of proportion. In the end, I think the results were quite positive for Camelot Unchained, but very little of the scenario was developer-end-marketing. 

Sometimes, when this happens, the results can be quite negative. The community has a tendency to put words in the developers' mouth, misinterpret comments, blow comments out of their intended proportions, or even unintentionally perpetuate false rumors and unreasonable expectations. (The Guild Wars 2 effect).

Point is, marketing is a self-feeding and often unpredictable force that tends to happen largely on the end of the consumer or the fanboy. All it tends to take is a skilled nudge in the right direction.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Its the next game I am really looking forward to. I really dont care if a game is a themepark or a sandbox as long as its not a WoW Clone. Having no levels and being skill based alone makes it a must play. Obsidian is helping with this game which is a huge plus.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    lobby game....hype over
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Game is hub based.

/end hype

Originally posted by Aeander

Game is hub based.

/end hype

And yet I can't really put myself out there and "hype" any more MMOs. I rode the Guild Wars 2 train for 5 years from its announce date to its launch. I rode the WildStar train. I rode a few others. I'm a little bit done.

I think, more than anything, the lack of hope (or rather hype) is exhaustion on the part of the MMO community. 

I will also end my hype at playing this...."game"

If it ever becomes a game...

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123

I think they have already sotrof started their closed beta, giving away keys on their facebook site.

Lobby does not bother me. The fact that i do not not have to look for content is a massive plus for me. 

We will have to wait and see how it turns out. Honestly i do not have a lot of hope for the pve aspect of it. Seems like somethign that'll get stale fast. 

I'm looking for a solid MMO for my PVP needs, and most aren't cutting it, so I've been into 3rd person Mobas as of late. It is so easy to be the best(Or close to best) in team with a button masher with tab targeting if you know your rotation. 

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Originally posted by akkedis86

I think they have already sotrof started their closed beta, giving away keys on their facebook site.

Lobby does not bother me. The fact that i do not not have to look for content is a massive plus for me. 

We will have to wait and see how it turns out. Honestly i do not have a lot of hope for the pve aspect of it. Seems like somethign that'll get stale fast. 

I'm looking for a solid MMO for my PVP needs, and most aren't cutting it, so I've been into 3rd person Mobas as of late. It is so easy to be the best(Or close to best) in team with a button masher with tab targeting if you know your rotation. 

Game has already been in alpha and beta in Russia I do believe.

• ShadowVlicanShadowVlican Member UncommonPosts: 158
    lobby game with tab target... meh
  • toastngravytoastngravy Wizard 101 CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 80

Just..feel required to throw it out there because just briefly skimming this thread has some huge misconceptions already.

This game is not instanced/hub based. Sorta.

There IS a main hub that WILL let you go into a large number of instanced quests and missions but there are still going to be X number (I can't recall what it was..7-10?) large open zones like other games. Just consider them dungeons. You know, those instanced thing every game [citation needed] has now? 

Other than that, I didn't read far enough into the thread to see any other information people have incorrect.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by Mothanos

...which will no doubt have an extensive Cash Shop supporting it, along with a very sophisticated monetization scheme.

Both of these.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    To be truthful, I don't know anything about it.  I can't recall the last time I saw a thread about it.  That's usually how I get my initial info, and from there I look further.  I figure if nobody is talking about it, it must be a bit of a ways off.

I self identify as a monkey.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by toastngravy

Just..feel required to throw it out there because just briefly skimming this thread has some huge misconceptions already.

This game is not instanced/hub based. Sorta.

There IS a main hub that WILL let you go into a large number of instanced quests and missions but there are still going to be X number (I can't recall what it was..7-10?) large open zones like other games. Just consider them dungeons. You know, those instanced thing every game [citation needed] has now? 

Other than that, I didn't read far enough into the thread to see any other information people have incorrect.

Thanks for info. I have had time to consider what MMO I would wish to buy/subscribe to/play.

The only MMOs I will buy/subscribe to from now on are MMOs with very little Instancing, to describe it better... MMOs like Wurm Online or MMOs like the old ORIGINAL Dark Age of Camelot with the Dungeon Darkness Falls, a dungeon open to everyone, all three realms at once.

That's the only MMOs I will ever spend money on again.... MMOs where everyone can enter every area at once, no private Instances, no solo quest Instances, no splitting up out Groups just to get a quest done because the Devs refused to make the quest group friendly.

If MMOs are never again made truly open world then I will never again spend money on the new ones.

Skyforge does not qualify for the type of MMO I am looking for. It might end up being a great game, a fun game, but it is not the game I am looking for.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Aeander

Game is hub based.

/end hype

Hub based games remind of games where the developers didn't have enough time talent or money to make an open world.  Even the GW team admitted the only reason they had a hub system was because they didn't have the resources to build a more open gameworld.

Funny how people get used to things designed as a shortcut, then actually desire it.