Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Games Like..." Recommendations

RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Hey everyone, I don't keep up with gaming/MMO news so I'm hoping some person/people here can help me.  I have a few requests for recommendations:

1) An MMO like Borderlands/Hellgate

-I know Borderlands has multiplayer, but are there any games like this out there that are more like an MMO?

-Something like Hellgate is exactly what I'm looking for, except I'm looking for a game that is still being supported/updated, rather than a skeleton of a canceled game that an Asian f2p company is just leeching from as long as possible.

-Something like Planetside 2 is nothing at all like what I'm looking for, as it plays virtually nothing like Borderlands aside from the fact they both have FPS elements.

-Something like Firefall looks kinda-sorta close to what I'm looking for, but the lack of loot variety which is a core focus in Borderlands/Hellgate and a few other factors (lack of interesting "bosses" afaik) keep it from being a good fit.

2) An MMO like Diablo 3/Path of Exile that is *not* click-to-move based (ie uses WASD movement)

-Perspective (top down, isometric, over the shoulder, etc.) doesn't matter, only that the game natively allows WASD movement.

3) A "monster capture/battle" type MMO like Pokémon for the PC

-Not a fan-made or ROM-based game of questionable legality, needs to be a game made/released by an actual studio.

-I know WoW (and maybe other MMO's) have robust pet capture/battle features, but this isn't what I'm looking for.

Thanks for reading, and I hope someone out there can give me a recommendation or two based on my descriptions!

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    And what level did you get to in Firefall?
  • RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by Albatroes
    And what level did you get to in Firefall?

I played for a few weeks a long while ago, but since they redesigned so many aspects of the game so many times during their 3 year long beta I doubt much of what I experienced is the same now.  I recently checked out some post-launch gameplay via youtube to try to see what the game is like now and it didn't look like what I was after.  My understanding from the footage/commentary I saw is that new gear/weapons don't behave significantly differently, they just increase the damage, or rate of fire, or another stat (rather than say, now you shoot fire bullets, or now your bullets restore shield, etc.).  Further, it didn't look like killing things resulted in random usable loot, which is one aspect of Borderlands/Diablo type games that I really like. 

All in all, from what I played myself many months ago, and from what I saw of post-launch video, it just didn't look like a very similar experience to Boderlands/Diablo 3.  On top of that the post-launch reviews haven't been very good overall.  If I don't get any other recommendations, and I can't find anything else myself, I may give Firefall a try anyway though. 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

1: Defiance. (if you want some Borderlands-type of a game, there's not a wide selection and you've already mentioned PS2 and Firefall)

Its next update is on the corner, the show's second season just finished, and since it's f2p, there's a plenty of folks playing it.

2: pass, I wouldn't poke diablo-clones with a 10foot pole :)

3: Dragon's Prophet. The capturing part is pretty fun, just like the dragon "management". And it's from SOE, I think that's an actual studio, with legality and stuff, though sometimes questionable... :)

( I mean for your"questionable legality, needs to be a game made/released by an actual studio." part)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

1) Defiance is your only choice there if you dont want Firefall.

2) Anything like Diablo but with WASD? only 2 games from Perfect World that i know of. Battle of Immortals, and War of Immortals..... yes the exact same game with a tiny bit of different skin. They love to milk people.

However, both Path of Exile and Marvel Heroes are really good and fun. I also dislike point and click but in those games you can map one key (i use W) to walk in the direction of your cursor. Just like you would with WASD but it follows the cursor. If that option wasnt in the game i wouldnt touch them.

3) Someone said Dragons Prophet. Unfortunately, i have to agree with him lol. Thats I think the only option out there. Be ready to pay to win, and the game is empty too so a shut down is imminent.

EDIT: you dont play emulators because they are ilegal? If its a game that doesnt sell anymore the company isnt losing/making any money, so its very legal to play them in any way you can get them. Just saying. Unles you mean private(pirate) servers for mmos, then yes avoid em like plague.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Thanks Po_gg, I'll check Defiance out.  I heard it got a lukewarm reception but like you said, its free so no harm in taking a look.

Follow-up question about your Dragon's Prophet recommendation though - do you have to do a ton of other stuff in the game to fully participate in the pet capture/battles?   What I mean is, in WoW for example in order to capture and battle with the pets you need to do a huge amount of other stuff, like doing high-end non-pet related PvE content, leveling professions, etc. if you want to have access to all the pets and such.   Is Dragon's Prophet the same way?  Or is it more like Pokémon? 

Thanks!

• sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291

Maybe wait for Destiny to launch or Lineage 3 to get into beta in West? I don't know much about Destiny's loot system, but it atleast changes your appearance significantly and it doesn't have that poor indie graphics look to it like Firefall does.

Destiny is made by a AAA FPS studio, so you should at least give it a chance. I think Halo is/was even more popular than Borderlands, due to story and it's awesome multiplayer + vehicles (which Borderlands didnt have to my knowledge).

Only thing good about Borderlands imo was it's loot system. And if Destiny really is a AAA MMO it should have both lots of loot and an interesting skill system.

There's nothing wrong with using a controller while playing a FPS MMO, but using one playing a MMORPG is disasterous. Too many buttons to push at the same time and stuffs.

Sometimes I even wish that my mouse had an analog stick since it's much more comfortable and realistic when you walk/run.

If you don't have a console, then there's nothing around the corner unless a game pops up as early access on Steam that looks really good. But early accesses so far have proven buggy and unplayable most of the part. It's mostly for showing support for an idea.

Btw, Destiny will MAYBE release for the PC in the future, but I have no idea if your account can be transferred from console. You could transfer FFXIV from PC to console, so should be workable.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by RollieJoe

Follow-up question about your Dragon's Prophet recommendation though - do you have to do a ton of other stuff in the game to fully participate in the pet capture/battles?   What I mean is, in WoW for example in order to capture and battle with the pets you need to do a huge amount of other stuff, like doing high-end non-pet related PvE content, leveling professions, etc. if you want to have access to all the pets and such.   Is Dragon's Prophet the same way?  Or is it more like Pokémon? 

Dunno about Pokemon (saw a few episodes though... the horror... :) ), but Dragon's Prophet is like a regular action mmo, with a pet-like system which is a pretty large chunk of the gameplay. Dragons are your mount, your companion, your helper in combat, so you need to upgrade them quite often.

Easier to show it on video: http://youtu.be/L7bW2J0Or1s 

from the first beta (it's much more polished now, if that matters), from HiveLeader before he was a regular here on mmorpg.com. Funny vid :)

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by RollieJoe

Thanks Po_gg, I'll check Defiance out.  I heard it got a lukewarm reception but like you said, its free so no harm in taking a look.

It was plagued by a lot of bugs at launch, and I think lack of content.

Like so many other MMOs before it, a crappy launch has hurt it. But it's bouncing back from it nicely, and is getting plenty of updates.

So I'd defintely recommend checking it out.  Even moreso if you happen to like the tv show. :)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/