Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next New Combat and Classes Video SOE Live 2014

167891012»

Comments

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by Fangrim
    The game is exactly how I said it would be 2 years ago,for which I received a warning /sigh and there is no UI shown for the simple reason it is minimalistic 1 hot bar 5 attack.

Oooh nice.

Can you link a photo or video of the fully released game then so we can confirm you were correct.

• amx23amx23 Member Posts: 102
    I never saw gw2 combat. Is that like a MOBA? LIke Smite? Anyway people need to watch this video:     and understand what horizontal progression. I mean, People from the street are getting the combat system and are giving it a thumbs. The trolls must be starting to get more delusional.
  • amx23amx23 Member Posts: 102

Landmark combat with test weapons is already more fun than EQ2 battlegrounds (comparibly the only game with similar art style). Theres no number crunching and but still strategic. Its just plain fun! I can't wait until they add combat accessories and armor. This bodes very well for EQNext.  Introducing recticle based combat. Where if you aim low enough you destroy the ground the opponent is standing on. The legendary weapons where you can send pillars of flame into the combat area will be harvested very quickly!

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Originally posted by Rydeson
         You know.. there would be one way to avoid all this speculation of what combat will be like..  Considering that many fans of EQN are claiming the game is close to done..  The game is suppose to have 40 classes..  OK, That sounds like a lot, and I would hate for SOE to show their entire hand, but lets see 8 of the starting classes and ALL THEIR SKILLS (spells) and detailed explanations of what they do.. similar to this >> http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spelllist.html?name=&type=clr&level=10&opt=And+Lower&action=search  Let me sink my teeth into something substantial..   I further would like to see some form of UI as well..  Is that asking too much? 
    Considering that spells, what they do, how they interact and the UI will change about a dozen times between now and when the releases ....yes, it is too much to ask.

Some companies have realized that you NEVER let players see too much too early. They will take it as the set in stone gospel truth and complain for years upon years if what was shown during the Alpha testing does not match exactly with release.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

WOW.. talk about spin..  This is worse then saying WW1 was just like WW2..  Both wars involved guns and Europe..  I then take it that the Revolutionary War was just like the Civil War..  Both involved guns and United States..  I'm still in disbelief that both of ya'll are saying EQNext's combat is very much like EQ1's..   I"m just baffled.. Do you really expect people to buy into that?  I don't even think Dave G could support such a statement.. 

Oh btw.. there is more to a game then "names"..  Sharing the same names and lore does NOT MAKE it so..  We could take WoW and rename Stormwind to Qeynos, and Ironforge to Freeport, etc etc..  and guess what.. It would still be WoW.. I don't even call EQ2 as a true sequel.. Playing rats and butterflies as characters was just too much..

The funniest part had to be where you accused me of baseless ramblings because I do NOT buy into the unproven hype of the game..  Really?   So you can speculate all you want what you THINK the game will play like, and that is ok.. but if someone such as myself doubts it..  We are rambling..  Pot meet kettle.. lol 

I look at it like Mario. Mario Galaxy is nothing like Super Mario Bros. Both have very different controls and mechanics. How you play the game is different, yet for me, I still have the same feeling of being in the same world with the same characters, mobs, items, spells, yadda yadda. Call it spirit, essence, magic or whatever, for me I get that same connection with both (and all the variations for that matter) despite them being very different.

EQ franchise is no different for me. I did't/don't like all Mario games or every aspect of them, same for EQ/EQ2/EQOA. Each game is supposed to stand on its own and be worth playing for its own reasons while still sharing some common ground.

Do I think EQ Combat = EQN Combat. Heck no. But can they both have similar roles? I'd hope so. Maybe it's because I've mainly focused on PVP games or the PVP parts of PVE games, but it is very easy to see how roles still exist (even more so) in action combat. Instead of players being forced into a small box, they simply give options within these roles and characters.

We all seem to play games for different reasons. For me, EQ was more about the overall experience which I've never seen duplicated. The mechanics that have drastically morphed over the years weren't what I loved about it. Just as I can't play Project 1999, I can't go back and play Mario on the NES either. Tech and my preferences have changed.

To go back to what you've said before. You asked why there can't be both tab and action combat. The answer is because EQN doesn't appear to be designed to cater to such options. Play a round of SMITE and tell me how auto target and having to aim could both be balanced to make it "fair" for everyone. Why would anyone choose the harder route beyond wanting to be hardcore!!!? I don't like action combat because it is harder or twitchy, I like it because it provides a totally different experience than tab targeting games.

If I want to stand semi-still and manage a crap ton of skills, I'll play a game that does that. If I want to move around and focus on a small skill set, I'll do that. Trying to blend or have them go side by side doesn't sound too good to me as the game would be either much harder for one side or pointless for the other. 

They aren't showing anyone the door and saying scram, they are providing an experience that you can choose to accept or not. They've specifically said that the other games will still be there and that there are plenty more in the genre outside of SOE. If you don't like XYZ feature or have to have ABC feature and EQN doesn't match up, guess you are showing yourself the door. Just as I look at a menu before walking into a restaurant I've never been to. Not going to sit down and then get upset that a steak joint doesn't make pizza.

Seems you might be one of those that thinks SOE owes you are has to provide XYZ mechanics because they were in EQ. They did and they can still be found there. EQN is a new game that happens to share a lot of specific similarities (names/lands/gear/etc) and hopefully from the sound of it will share that same adventure experience that many of us want to relive. Overall it is a totally new game though.

Sucks that devs can't cater to our every desire, but that's gaming and life. It isn't fair and unfortunately some are going to get the short end of the stick. Really liked many things ESO and Wildstar did for example, but overall the experience and many features weren't on my pro list. Guess what? Didn't buy them (tried betas at least though).

But if you can't handle this type of combat or some variation (Landmark is probably a lot crazier in general), probably not worth wasting your time on a game you don't believe the hype for anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekMCqwIYL9U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FIa9cfLtXI

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
         You know.. there would be one way to avoid all this speculation of what combat will be like..  Considering that many fans of EQN are claiming the game is close to done..  The game is suppose to have 40 classes..  OK, That sounds like a lot, and I would hate for SOE to show their entire hand, but lets see 8 of the starting classes and ALL THEIR SKILLS (spells) and detailed explanations of what they do.. similar to this >> http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spelllist.html?name=&type=clr&level=10&opt=And+Lower&action=search  Let me sink my teeth into something substantial..   I further would like to see some form of UI as well..  Is that asking too much? 

Or they could just keep it to themselves so you can continue to make baseless assertions about what the game won't have.

Is it asking too much?  Ya if the devs aren't ready to show off those parts then they're not ready and you are asking too much.  Once they have something they want to show off, they will.  Until then you could try to stick with what we know instead of claiming that the game won't have X Y and Z just because they haven't shown it yet lol.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         The point ya'll missed with my previous post of fun.. Is that Devs show nothing substantial about the game..  Even ya'll admit to that, yet the game is being HYPED over nothing but words..  So.. how is it fair and logical that my words meaning nothing, but a dev's statement or their loyal fans means everything..  The point is..  "SEEING IS BELIEVING"..   OH.. and of course the game will change between now and when it's launched.. Why?  because of consumer pressure and demands, and game play requirement.. And the game will mostly likely change again and again after it's release..  They all do..
         The point ya'll missed with my previous post of fun.. Is that Devs show nothing substantial about the game..  Even ya'll admit to that, yet the game is being HYPED over nothing but words..  So.. how is it fair and logical that my words meaning nothing, but a dev's statement or their loyal fans means everything..  The point is..  "SEEING IS BELIEVING"..   OH.. and of course the game will change between now and when it's launched.. Why?  because of consumer pressure and demands, and game play requirement.. And the game will mostly likely change again and again after it's release..  They all do..

It is quite simple why I respect the devs statements over yours.

The devs are the guys working on the game, releasing update after update to Landmark, presenting demo's and screen shots and video's when stuff is ready to show off. They have been very open during development and have so far met or exceeded every design goal that they have put out there. Their discussions about storybricks have been met with praise by press that have seen it in a form beyond what we see it. The gaming AI community is really positive and gloving in their admiration for the design concepts of storybricks. I have not met, read  or talked to anyone who isn't cautious but also very excited by what is just around the corner (except here of course).

Until SOE fail to meet a target I will continue to respect them and believe they are doing what everyone involved in the project is talking about.

You are a nobody in relation to this game just like me, but with an opinion based on bitterness, disbelief or anger towards SOE  it seems. You are less informed then I am, seem to use faulty logic and seem to generally hate not just this games but a great many games. You have, to the best of my knowledge, no design experience (even outside game design) are not involved with either SOE or storybricks or a member of the press.

So I believe that, in balance, information released by SOE and Storybricks is far more reliable when trying to determine what this game is going to be and how it might work then you or anyone else who posts their opinions on these forums.

Seeing IS believing and so far everything SOE have promised in Landmark has been delivered. Till they fail I and many others will continue to support the game and it's goals, however lofty.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

Seeing is believing, I agree. Good thing we can see quite a bit of what EQN will be based on thanks to Landmark.

Not sure if you watched the videos I linked in my wall of text, but combat is live. While 3 weapons with 6 skills is a long ways from 40+ classes and all that come with them, it is a start. If you can't use whatever gaming experience you have plus a little common sense to see what is or isn't possible in this new combat system, not sure what else to say. As I hoped, combat looks/feels like SMITE. Destructible world and being able to bunny hop/glide are unique to Landmark though. Crossing my fingers we can't fly around like that in EQN.

I'm assuming the UI will be similar to EQN as well. They recently said they will be changing Landmark's UI as some of the elements are what will be used in EQN. They've also said players can customize the UI so doesn't really matter.

I can take a wild guess though...there will be a bar with 8 boxes on it, somewhere we'll see armor-hp-energy, dmg/healing will popup somewhere, and there is a reticle as well. Crazy I know.

As far as the AI and dynamic elements. Yes we need to see more, but from the Storybricks presentations at SOE Live and the AI conference, I have a decent understanding of what is possible. Will it live up to our craziest expectations? Probably not. But why not get excited and hope? Unless being let down causes internal pain and suffering for some reason. These are games after all. If EQN sucks, oh well. I'm not going to cry myself to sleep.

If "Seeing is believing" why would you follow a game before it is launched? Even if they show us everything working, it could be staged. Only way to really know if it works is to play it. Anything before hand takes some degree of faith and trust. If you lack those for SOE, seems pretty pointless to grumble about and disagree with those of us that are willing to take that leap.

So far we have you and a few others in one corner with zero evidence that what SOE claims won't happen and in the other we have SOE who is making the game and so far as lived up to their own hype and promises. For someone excited about the game, which side to choose?

I'm not a moron, I know SOE could be biting off more than they can chew or it simply won't end up like I hope, but oh well. Life goes on. In the meantime, I'm still going to follow the game (nothing else worth playing) until they give me a reason not to.

As has been said, even if they manage 25% of what they say, should still be "better" than a lot of what is out there. By reaching so far, they have a long way to fall, but if by the slightest chance they make it, I will be very pleased.

It seems you are still expecting EQ3 to show up to the party, when SOE has clearly put it to bed. Can either accept EQN for what it is, even in the conceptual form, or not. Even without the AI factored in (which is still a huge deal), you seem to have issues with fundamental features of EQN. If you can't get over the art style, combat type, progression, etc. I doubt the AI will matter much. Which is unfortunate. EQN looks to be shaping up to be the best mmorpg that I've seen. Only time will tell though. 

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

wow I did not expect it to be that disappointing

enough with the wooosh quack whack thadak effects

where is actual combat.

• InfantryonlineInfantryonline Member Posts: 113

Cool video i found about Landmark and EQN combat:  

About discussing EQN:

"We didn't design a mechanic system and then figure out then figure out combat that would work with that, we had a vision for what kind of activity we wanted in the game and we built systems to support that. So we wanted Crowd Control to make a comeback, because its been dead for a long time. And we wanted to be able to have really fast movement, because then Crowd Control is important. Theres all these ploys and counter-ploys...And its that kind of thinking game that we want to play because even though its a fast pace game you only have a certain amount of abilities and its how you use them and when you use them and its also how your groupmates use abilities"

...That's essentially what being smug is. Acting like you're so blatantly right that even the thought of someone disagreeing with you is appallingly stupid and comical. you have a good chance of bullying them into believing you.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by Infantryonline

About discussing EQN:

"We didn't design a mechanic system and then figure out then figure out combat that would work with that, we had a vision for what kind of activity we wanted in the game and we built systems to support that. So we wanted Crowd Control to make a comeback, because its been dead for a long time. And we wanted to be able to have really fast movement, because then Crowd Control is important. Theres all these ploys and counter-ploys...And its that kind of thinking game that we want to play because even though its a fast pace game you only have a certain amount of abilities and its how you use them and when you use them and its also how your groupmates use abilities"

They should go back and design a mechanic system now that they know this one sucks. They took what GW2 did and upped the Frenetic Random Movement dial is all. All that blather about crowd control, when you have to aim it in the first place. How many people will be dumb enough to go into that flame pillar, or the big obvious ice circle on the ground?

'You only have a few things you can do' is used here like a bonus. There's no options, it's Great! Hey hit your X button when I hit the Circle button for a combo. That's MMORPG goodness for sure.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
    Originally posted by Archlyte

About discussing EQN:

They should go back and design a mechanic system now that they know this one sucks. They took what GW2 did and upped the Frenetic Random Movement dial is all. All that blather about crowd control, when you have to aim it in the first place. How many people will be dumb enough to go into that flame pillar, or the big obvious ice circle on the ground?

'You only have a few things you can do' is used here like a bonus. There's no options, it's Great! Hey hit your X button when I hit the Circle button for a combo. That's MMORPG goodness for sure.

Agreed.. It looks like GW2 with no auto targeting, with XYZ axis movement on steroids.. Further, when did people start to redefine "movement" penalty as crowd control?    Really?   Crowd control is when I can park your ASS, or alteast keep you busy with NO risk or cost to me..  Slowing people down with frost circles for 5 seconds is NOT CROWD CONTROL.. Mezing your butt for 1 minute is.. :)    I'm thinking the devs at SOE don't know what real crowd control is, or even played a druid/chanter.. LOL  

• EnrifEnrif Member UncommonPosts: 152

*snio* its a fast pace game  *snip*

*snip*.. Mezing your butt for 1 minute is.. :)    *snip*

Minute long CC = slow game

• Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Well... the "cartoony" graphics really shines through in combat. Let's just hope the devs grows tired of hearing those awful combatsounds they've implemented, before they release the game.

Originally posted by Enrif

*snio* its a fast pace game  *snip*

*snip*.. Mezing your butt for 1 minute is.. :)    *snip*

The point of CC is to take the enemy out of combat until they are ready to be dealt with..  That is crowd control.. 1 minute, 2 minutes or 30 seconds..  The point is making you watch all your team mates die, while you do nothing to help.. Then if you are lucky you might be allowed to get into combat, but at a great disadvantage..  I loved fear kiting with my Warlock, in WoW, until it got nerfed to high heaven.. 

• InfantryonlineInfantryonline Member Posts: 113

I was charm kiting with my bard back in 2000 and they never nerfed that or found out about it. I got the idea when i would injure 1, let 2 aggro me and charm the stronger one and finish off the weakened stronger one when he killed and got me experience for killing the original weakened one. Since it took zero mana to do that and i would kill 2 Hill Giants consecutively only took 3 minutes of combat since Hill Giants are so powerful (and so violent to each other heh) i would do that until i had to go back into town because of the weight of coins but no problem with selos. I would make 2k plat in 1 hour which is unheard of because it takes the strongest necro 5-10 minutes to kill 1 hg not to mention he has to meditate so i was killing 2 in 3 minutes and at level 46 i had a full set of Singing Steel armor that i bought. I was the one of the richest Bards in the server. Awesome days when i was 17.

Fear kiting i would use in groups i would use a snare song then a fear song. I actually would camp the HGs for an hour or 2 for a week and I paid people to do quest ins for Soulfire, a paladin epic sword, for my girlfriend. She got Soulfire at lvl 36!! I had to pay a guy 20k platinum to camp Ghoulbane and after 3 days (i dunno how long he was in there for consecutively) he came out and she was so happy. We almost got married because of that game because of the happiness it brought. Looking back it was the best experience i will have in any mmo. I miss it, and i wish it would come back in any form or way.

Another fun EQ moment (while were at it lol) is that i would duel anyone for the slightest reasons. And i would win lol, as a bard. If someone openly said something bad about the way i played or just being a jerk in general. /d. dueling is the greatest fucking form of satisfaction. I love draining their hp with my dots and slashing them with both my weapons. Bards can be an absolute dps machine with hastes and dots. I remember in crystal caverns in Velious i lost to a jerkoff druid in a duel and when my girlfriend was fighting him, if were grouped my dots still work even though im not fighting him. So he rooted me and she ended up using 3 of her self heals from Soulfire but we whooped his ass. Theres tons of EQ memories like going to Lguk and thinking were not scared and fighting the first undead froglock then we were really scared Or helping with Ro armor and seeing the spectres on the hill and training them to zone so we could get to the underwater goblins. Freakin A i wish someone would make another Everquest already!

...That's essentially what being smug is. Acting like you're so blatantly right that even the thought of someone disagreeing with you is appallingly stupid and comical. you have a good chance of bullying them into believing you.

I was charm kiting with my bard back in 2000 and they never nerfed that or found out about it. I got the idea when i would injure 1, let 2 aggro me and charm the stronger one and finish off the weakened stronger one when he killed and got me experience for killing the original weakened one. Since it took zero mana to do that and i would kill 2 Hill Giants consecutively only took 3 minutes of combat since Hill Giants are so powerful (and so violent to each other heh) i would do that until i had to go back into town because of the weight of coins but no problem with selos. I would make 2k plat in 1 hour which is unheard of because it takes the strongest necro 5-10 minutes to kill 1 hg not to mention he has to meditate so i was killing 2 in 3 minutes and at level 46 i had a full set of Singing Steel armor that i bought. I was the one of the richest Bards in the server. Awesome days when i was 17.

Fear kiting i would use in groups i would use a snare song then a fear song. I actually would camp the HGs for an hour or 2 for a week and I paid people to do quest ins for Soulfire, a paladin epic sword, for my girlfriend. She got Soulfire at lvl 36!! I had to pay a guy 20k platinum to camp Ghoulbane and after 3 days (i dunno how long he was in there for consecutively) he came out and she was so happy. We almost got married because of that game because of the happiness it brought. Looking back it was the best experience i will have in any mmo. I miss it, and i wish it would come back in any form or way.

Another fun EQ moment (while were at it lol) is that i would duel anyone for the slightest reasons. And i would win lol, as a bard. If someone openly said something bad about the way i played or just being a jerk in general. /d. dueling is the greatest fucking form of satisfaction. I love draining their hp with my dots and slashing them with both my weapons. Bards can be an absolute dps machine with hastes and dots. I remember in crystal caverns in Velious i lost to a jerkoff druid in a duel and when my girlfriend was fighting him, if were grouped my dots still work even though im not fighting him. So he rooted me and she ended up using 3 of her self heals from Soulfire but we whooped his ass. Theres tons of EQ memories like going to Lguk and thinking were not scared and fighting the first undead froglock then we were really scared Or helping with Ro armor and seeing the spectres on the hill and training them to zone so we could get to the underwater goblins. Freakin A i wish someone would make another Everquest already!

Now you are in my world..  Those were the days of REAL role playing with class defining abilities.. Rather it was the multi-purpose Bard, or a kiting Druid, support classes like chanters and shamans, etc etc..  However, none of those classes would be tolerated in a PvP arena..  They each are too OP..  That is one of my stinks with EQN.. The build up and hype about 40 classes and NONE of them will allow me to kite or charm..  Because EQN chooses to allow balanced PvP, various skills and abilities will NEVER enter the game.. So sad..   You think honestly that SOE is going to allow me to quad kite 4 warriors in PvP?    he he he

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

The point of CC is to take the enemy out of combat until they are ready to be dealt with..  That is crowd control.. 1 minute, 2 minutes or 30 seconds..  The point is making you watch all your team mates die, while you do nothing to help.. Then if you are lucky you might be allowed to get into combat, but at a great disadvantage..  I loved fear kiting with my Warlock, in WoW, until it got nerfed to high heaven.. 

as enchanter i was never watching teammates

i usually had 3 or 4 mobs mezzed in the camp or went out pulling some more

- i had to be aware of the mez timers tho cuz they would lapse and mobs would pounce on anyone sitting if i wasnt nearby

one of the things i miss from eq was the mix of chanter permanent illusion and druid group wolf form

i could go running around as fast wolf until i got killed image

Originally posted by Nadia

as enchanter i was never watching teammates

i usually had 3 or 4 mobs mezzed in the camp or went out pulling some more

- i had to be aware of the mez timers tho cuz they would lapse and mobs would pounce on anyone sitting if i wasnt nearby

one of the things i miss from eq was the mix of chanter permanent illusion and druid group wolf form

i could go running around as fast wolf until i got killed image

He he.. I think you took that the wrong way Nadia.. when I said watch teammates die.. I was referring to a PvP type of situation.. LOL   The closest I've seen any form of CC is WoW's priest charm , a rogue stun locking.. Everything else is just movement slowing, which is almost useless against casters.. lol   I miss EQ chanters as much as I miss my Druid, Necro and Bards.. I never did get the twisting song thing down to a science..  I loved my Beastlord too, but the Hunter in WoW was better..

Ops. I did like the Hunter's sleep arrow, but that only worked against animals, and the trap was useless since in PvP people are not dumb enough to run into those.. "normally".. lol   Now if they made a stun arrow that worked like a trap, that would be epic.. LOL

• SgtOxSgtOx Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Is it me or do the graphics looke like WoW?  God I miss EQ2 already.  /sigh    Oh, and the combat?  Is this an arcade game where you kill stuff in few blows?  Or please tell me those mobs were grey-green.   And not to mention, EVERY humanoid dies the same!  (fall on knees, collapse forward).  Damn, ArcheAge looks like a huge dissapointment (meaning I saw too many things that put me off) and now EQ Next!!  /Cry

Originally posted by SgtOx
    Is it me or do the graphics looke like WoW?  God I miss EQ2 already.  /sigh    Oh, and the combat?  Is this an arcade game where you kill stuff in few blows?  Or please tell me those mobs were grey-green.   And not to mention, EVERY humanoid dies the same!  (fall on knees, collapse forward).  Damn, ArcheAge looks like a huge dissapointment (meaning I saw too many things that put me off) and now EQ Next!!  /Cry

Please remember that the combat introduced for Landmark is the 1st iteration of their 1st released design, in the closed Beta of the game they are making EQN next with, using only 3 weapons of perhaps 20 and only 6 skills out of hundreds, where heroic movement was still not balanced or any balance for that matter....

And FYI, not every humanoid dies the same way...because there is only 1 character race in Landmark and that is the Human, not humanoid.

Originally posted by SgtOx
     God I miss EQ2 already.  

Where exactly did it go?

I still have it installed and still play it alongside Landmark so I am sure you have a point making that comment but I don't know what it is, if you could explain.