Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm sorry I get it now we are finger puppets

Kamandi777Kamandi777 Member UncommonPosts: 223

I was so wrong in my former post.  FFXIV is not an MMO it is a puppet show! And we are finger puppets!

The "story" is more than we are.

We get some choices, but in fact, we are little finger puppets in a pre-arranged drama of quests.

Like George Carlin once said "Your choices are paper or plastic. boxers or briefs, but the real decisions are made by someone else."

THIS is not an MMO, it is an old school fold out greetings card that you get to "play" in.

I was wrong buying this game, as you already know.

Quest junkies need only apply.  Roleplaying MMO adventurers with a taste for individual expression need not apply!

Comments

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062

well the gear grind isn't as bad anymore.  have you tried dragon age? that one is really cool.  all your choices impact the storyline.  Your other choices are like, ESO, where you can claim emperor and scroll keep flip nonstop.  or guild wars 2 where you can keep flip nonstop too.

on a positive note, this game isn't full of douches.  like in eso, they have these 4 or 8 man pve raids where everyone has to be fully tweaked out in good gear and basically do it exactly like in the youtube vid, or its a wipe, or you don't complete it fast enough to keep up with some 16 year olds speed run design

I prefer the daoc style where you gather up a ton of ppl and go into a big ass dungeon and try to get to the boss.  yes there is strategy but people's gear and dps meter isn't micromanaged cuz there is like 200+ ppl there.

Most games nowadays are run by 16 year old Nazi's who want gear score, dps meter for their little puny 4,8 man instanced raid.

This game is somewhere in between where they have the puny raid BUT the ppl aren't douches and won't scrutinize that you took 2.5 seconds instead of 2 seconds to attack a mob due to the fact you were taking a drink of soda. 

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • Kamandi777Kamandi777 Member UncommonPosts: 223
    can i be me? no. i must be the story
    Originally posted by Kamandi777

you tried guild wars 2?  you get to vote, and do all kinds of stuff that impacts the story.  have you played it yet?  whats wrong with that one, in terms of the story, being a part of it.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Originally posted by time007

you tried guild wars 2?  you get to vote, and do all kinds of stuff that impacts the story.  have you played it yet?  whats wrong with that one, in terms of the story, being a part of it.

Yes you do get choices but your choices mean nothing.  All it does is give you 1 set of quests or another that's it.

OP, FFXIV it is like most mmos, you make a character and the game drives the rest.

Originally posted by cerulean2012

Yes you do get choices but your choices mean nothing.  All it does is give you 1 set of quests or another that's it.

OP, FFXIV it is like most mmos, you make a character and the game drives the rest.

you talking about guild wars 2 or xiv by saying your choices mean nothing?  cuz in GW2, the players make some choices, like voting for the faction they like for example, then that faction runs the cities etc.  so check it out. 

the OP needs to elaborate, is he looking for his one choice to effect the entire game for every other player? if so thats impossible.  But he can always go into a game like ESO, form a guild, take a scroll and become emperor and try to hold it, i mean that impacts other players.

But if he wants to impact the game's story, try GW2.  Other than that, try a single player rpg like dragon age. 

or you can try archeage.  you will be able to eventually carve out your own country/faction if your guild is strong enough. 

• KamikazegoKamikazego Member UncommonPosts: 224

I was so wrong in my former post.  FFXIV is not an MMO it is a puppet show! And we are finger puppets!

We get some choices, but in fact, we are little finger puppets in a pre-arranged drama of quests.

Like George Carlin once said "Your choices are paper or plastic. boxers or briefs, but the real decisions are made by someone else."

THIS is not an MMO, it is an old school fold out greetings card that you get to "play" in.

Quest junkies need only apply.  Roleplaying MMO adventurers with a taste for individual expression need not apply!

I took the liberty of looking at your previous posts on other forums.  At one point you posted a list of qualities that you want from an MMO(Sandbox qualities, I might add), but then you deviated from it and tried playing games like Rift, GW2, and then FFXIV.

Most of the threads you've started include saying what is wrong with the game and how it doesn't match up to your needs, which is fine; we all want different things from our gaming experiences.  However, most of the threads are quite toxic...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

the OP needs to elaborate, is he looking for his one choice to effect the entire game for every other player? if so thats impossible.  But he can always go into a game like ESO, form a guild, take a scroll and become emperor and try to hold it, i mean that impacts other players.

But if he wants to impact the game's story, try GW2.  Other than that, try a single player rpg like dragon age. 

or you can try archeage.  you will be able to eventually carve out your own country/faction if your guild is strong enough. 

I don't think he needs to elaborate. He is saying that these games (Final Fantasy in particular) force the player into a story and that the "story comes first" and player stories are nil. That players are "puppets" within the constraining framework of these games.

He wants "less" game story so that he can make his own story.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I don't think he needs to elaborate. He is saying that these games (Final Fantasy in particular) force the player into a story and that the "story comes first" and player stories are nil. That players are "puppets" within the constraining framework of these games.

well he says "this is not a MMO".  so yeah elaborate please.  or say "its not an old school mmo".  or say "its a mmo grinder".  but you can't say its not a MMO.  thats a huge blanket statement, though I think he was being sarcastic!!  and boy if he hates this game, he must really hate WoW!!!  since that is the single player mmo granddaddy of em all.

JK, no i wanted him to elaborate so i could recommend him a game, which I think I did, that he could play to meet his, the player(s) direct the game, kind of deal. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    OP should be playing EVE, DFO or something like them and not be looking in a theme park for freedom of choice.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

well he says "this is not a MMO".  so yeah elaborate please.  or say "its not an old school mmo".  or say "its a mmo grinder".  but you can't say its not a MMO.  thats a huge blanket statement, though I think he was being sarcastic!!  and boy if he hates this game, he must really hate WoW!!!  since that is the single player mmo granddaddy of em all.

JK, no i wanted him to elaborate so i could recommend him a game, which I think I did, that he could play to meet his, the player(s) direct the game, kind of deal. 

I think he's saying it's not an mmo because it's not open and free. That the story binds everyone to very narrow paths.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

He probably isn't too aware of what Final Fantasy games are like then, even the single player RPG ones, because like FFXI its a Final Fantasy game, FFXIV;ARR isn't about reinventing the wheel, or about being a sandbox game, its a continuation of the Final Fantasy series of games, fans of the genre know this going in, and imo its popular because it is exactly the type of game people expect it to be, which is Final Fantasy, unlike other games i could mention that use a particular IP for an MMO but rewrite the things to suite themselves regardless of how much it deviates from the original IP, FFXIV;ARR belongs within the Final Fantasy IP. image

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Originally posted by cerulean2012

you talking about guild wars 2 or xiv by saying your choices mean nothing?  cuz in GW2, the players make some choices, like voting for the faction they like for example, then that faction runs the cities etc.  so check it out. 

I was talking about GW2 and the election you are talking about ment nothing.  Didn't matter who won as it didn't change anything.  So don't blow smoke saying your choices matter in GW2 as they really don't.

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244

Was this your first MMO op because sure seems like it because I have played a lot of MMO's and most give you no to little choice on how you effect the story and when there is a little choice in the grand scale of things it doesn't change anything drastically.

It seems like when a MMO's story starts out and says you are the chosen one and only you can save us you expected this to be just you and not the other thousands of players also playing that are also told the same thing.

What u want doesn't exist so maybe you should think about weather you should be playing MMO's at all.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

OP just learned what a theme park is.

Congratulations.  :3

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Plenty of opportunity for individual expression and roleplay outside the story... furthermore, the vast majority of MMOs and even single player RPGs are fashioned this way.

You've made it clear you don't enjoy the game, and that's fine. But please, shut up about it. Not one of the million plus people enjoying the game give a damn what some guy on some forum, with a username taken from a crappy DC comics character thinks about the game, and in all honesty your posts are crossing into trolling territory at this point.

Move on and let it go.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854

You just now realizing this after every single Final Fantasy game that has come out that you don't get choices?

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Welcome to MMos, where you NEVER dictate the direction when it comes to your characters actions. Thus why ESO was doomed to fail removing that aspect from practically all elements of the game. Its how MMos are, FF14 is no exception at all to this. Its silly to think any game can do it. 
  • HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Any RPG can provide a story where you are given choices to pick from.

Only in an MMORPG your story is interwoven into the stories of other players, the stories that happen in the social reality the MMO's provide for you. ARR's only "flaw" is that it doesn't force the social reality down it's players' throats, and why should it? You have a free will to do what you want to do.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
This discussion has been closed.