Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Swatting" becoming a real problem. 400 cases per year, one of which was featured on ABC tonight.

2»

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

although not swatting some of this stuff emboldens the very thing the trolls are angry about.

In no ways will death threats and posting home addresses help any objective other than those who you are enraged toward.

Trolls of Anita Sarkeesian pretty much do nothing other than to validate her points and make her voice more prominent

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Should be able to go all Jay and Silent Bob on these types of IRL trolls.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• PuskaPuska Member UncommonPosts: 1
    'murica...enough said.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by i_own_u

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video-captures-colorado-cops-swarming-swatting-prank/story?id=25158294

The fact even that it is called "Swatting" and has a slang term makes me sick.

Thousands of tax dollars are spent per call...

People expect gamers to be taken seriously and then pull this crap? 

/end rant

I don't take gamers seriously because some of them JUSTIFY poor police behavior. Or do you actually think it is OK for cops to just charge in all LEROY JENKINS every time someone yells "shots fired!"? Seriously we expect more out of NEWB tanks.

/end rant

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Thing is some of these tactics are going to call great attention from Homeland Security and it is actually plausible one could find themselves at Guantanamo Bay 

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• i_own_ui_own_u Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Four0Six

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video-captures-colorado-cops-swarming-swatting-prank/story?id=25158294

/end rant

I don't take gamers seriously because some of them JUSTIFY poor police behavior. Or do you actually think it is OK for cops to just charge in all LEROY JENKINS every time someone yells "shots fired!"? Seriously we expect more out of NEWB tanks.

/end rant

This particular case was at a school that was evacuated (It might have been already empty) before the streamer knew about it from what I understand. Typically, (someone correct me if I am wrong) cops wouldn't just charge in Gung-Ho with innocent civilians still inside. 

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Remind me again why i want to play online games with these other online morons. I hope they go after these punks hard. Sending real police after people for killing you in an online game. God the internet is so full of morons thats its getting to the point where i don't want to play any online games. Its one of the reasons why mmo's are so sucky to many people these days.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Four0Six

/end rant

/end rant

Ok, so what do you want them to do when they receive a shots fired call? Send a singular officer over to check to make sure it's not a prank? Potentially endangering the lives of everyone involved. The police cannot assume that a shots fired call is ever a joke. 

The cops can do no right, and that's the big problem. If they charge in "leeroy jenkins" as you put it for a prank call, they are idiots. If they send one unit over the check things out and it turns out to be real and people die, then they are idiots again.

It's not the police response that is the problem here, it's the fact that PRANKING A SHOTS FIRED CALL has become something that is done on a seemingly regular basis. One of these times someone is going to be killed, and the originator of the call should be put up for murder charges.

Originally posted by Hariken
    Remind me again why i want to play online games with these other online morons. I hope they go after these punks hard. Sending real police after people for killing you in an online game. God the internet is so full of morons thats its getting to the point where i don't want to play any online games. Its one of the reasons why mmo's are so sucky to many people these days.

I would look at in a different perspective...

There have always been morons in the world...the internet just helps make them more readily available :P

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

In real life those same morons don't have easily identifiable names like imwithurmom or ipwnu. So at least on here we have a self labeling system.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Ariel_Arilon

Since I don't own a TV,

you Sir have my deepest respect and admiration for not owning that lying brainwashing machine.

Welcome to the club of Anti-TV mainstream smashers

Originally posted by DamonVile

In real life those same morons don't have easily identifiable names like imwithurmom or ipwnu. So at least on here we have a self labeling system.

Whoa man, not all of us with names like that are bad! I'm just an owning machine, what can I say?

I kid :P

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I think internet " pranks" in general that end up involving cops/FBI or whatever need to be dealt with more harshly. It's starting to become far to common and seriously these people have better things to do than figure out who's dumbass kid thinks it's funny to be a pest.

Apparently you can "face up to 5 years in prison." To be honest, I don't know if that's a harsh enough punishment.

This is taking officers potentially away from legitimate crime scenes to deal with this bullshit. 

raise it to 10 years and you will see how those pranks will stop.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

One of the situations where having a huge chunk of bureaucracy between you and and any special assist team is a good thing.

I'm pretty sure that if you even tried to do this in Belgium the most you'd be able to get out of the cops would be some local dudes with small arms coming to check it out. After that you could be the happy guy who gets the chance  to go and explain the prank in front of a judge.

Originally posted by DocBrody

you Sir have my deepest respect and admiration for not owning that lying brainwashing machine.

Welcome to the club of Anti-TV mainstream smashers

I like some of the authentic channels that remain. But for the most part I don't see the point of a television either. You can get all the news stories much faster through your computer anyhow. Well, actually radio still seems to beat it sometimes, but I spend a lot of time in my car anyhow.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid
    I think internet " pranks" in general that end up involving cops/FBI or whatever need to be dealt with more harshly. It's starting to become far to common and seriously these people have better things to do than figure out who's dumbass kid thinks it's funny to be a pest.

Apparently you can "face up to 5 years in prison." To be honest, I don't know if that's a harsh enough punishment.

This is taking officers potentially away from legitimate crime scenes to deal with this bullshit. 

It probably won't stop the pranks, but it will certainly make a lot more lawyers a lot richer. 

Given the amount of guns in american households, it's only a matter of time before someone gets accidentally killed though.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    "When E-Thugging Goes Wrong"
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    only in murica. nuff said.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

It probably won't stop the pranks, but it will certainly make a lot more lawyers a lot richer. 

Given the amount of guns in american households, it's only a matter of time before someone gets accidentally killed though.

I am almost positive there was just recently an incident with a SWAT team that ended up in an innocent getting killed...correct me if I am wrong though.