Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any advice on my game problem?

JessySJessyS Member Posts: 1

My laptop is an aspire 7750G, and one day I was playing an online game and it was going very good, graphics, and the fps went up to 30! But one day all of a sudden, it went really lag, to 2 fps! -.- I The internet is fine, ive done virus checks, uninstall and install, got rid of a virus and after that it was a little bit better, and it went to having 15 fps, but again, the next day it was worse, I have 5 fps and even with the cable conected. I searched on the internet and thought maybe it was dirty (only had the laptop 8, 9 months) but now im not sure, it has no virus im aware of, lots of memory, and the game is really really lag. ANY IDEAS? PLEASE, Id appreciate it, very very very much :') 

I cant play when its that slow :(

Comments

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

need your system specs, and what game.

Might be a heat issue?

• gideonvaldesgideonvaldes Member Posts: 148

Dude, maybe you've downloaded something that contains malware or any virus (if you know what I mean).

If you're that your system doesn't have any viruses or malwares, update your computer hardwares, video card, cpu and etc. Had that problem before due to virus issues when I'm playing RBF, what I did was to completely reformat my computer. Kinda sucks since I had many games and files that was lost, but then as of now, its working fine.

• sn072856sn072856 Member UncommonPosts: 56

also,, check the web for your ISP's behavior... They could be throttling you.  Is you connection shared like a lot of cable providers where if you read the fine print it says:  "... UP to.   xx MB... not that it will be a constant xx MB.  A number of providers are at war with their customers over this issue ATM.

I have a life, its just different from yours.....

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

1. Do a new clean Windows installation. If you've got standard Win 7 installation discs, there's option to format the hard drive before installing onto it. Use that.

2. After re-installing update Windows and all your drivers. Since it's Acer laptop, the best place to look for updated drivers is likely Acer's own website.

3. Try installing and running the game again

EDIT: FPS = Frames per second. FPS is determined by your computer's speed, and not affected by internet problems. If your FPS drops it's something other than net connection. /EDIT

• ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

what's your internet speed? have you checked with speedtest.net to see if it's your internet speed and not the game?

just out of interest, what's the game?

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    sounds like you have something running while your playing...check your hidden icon in the lower right n make sure you dont have something like utorrent open..or maybe someone in yur house is running something boggin up the bandwith
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

If your system is under one year old it should be covered by the warranty.  Go through the pain of sitting on the phone with their warranty support. Be sure to emphasize that this is an intermittent issue. Not with every breath you take but put it in where appropriate.

If your system was actually manufactured in early 2011:

If the system was made in early 2011 Intel released about 8 million defective chipsets to manufacturers that caused SATA port failures. Specifically SATA ports 2 - 5. This would show up if you had more than 2 (HDD or optical drives in the system so a second HDD might experience intermittent failures.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-7750G-Notebook.45861.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-s-defective-Sandy-Bridge-Chipsets-Status-Report.45596.0.html

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I've had a similar problem. I had to remove the power saving software (bloatware) which takes over the power saving mode. It for some reason lowered my processors clock speed.

If you have something similar running then try and uninstall it

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433

Do you play with a cooling pad under your laptop? If not, consider buying one.

Also, you said you removed a virus, your FPS got a little better, but the next day it was crap again - sounds like your virus problem isn't over. What virus scanner are you using? I like Avast, personally.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Ergload

Do you play with a cooling pad under your laptop? If not, consider buying one.

Also, you said you removed a virus, your FPS got a little better, but the next day it was crap again - sounds like your virus problem isn't over. What virus scanner are you using? I like Avast, personally.

I agree it could be cooling. 

You can also try unplugging your battery and playing with power plugged in directly. That's how I usually play if I'm going off my laptop. I find the battery just adds so much extra heat. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Back up essential files and re-install the computer, any laptop should have a program you can run to reset it to factory settings (as it was when it was new).

I see 3 possibilities: Virus/malware/full of crap. Reinstalling fixes that.

Heat. If the FPs is fine when you begin to play but drops as you play this is the problem. The solution is to get something like this: 

And windows could be corrupt some way, maybe the virus messed up your drivers, direct x or other windows components.

Re-install and if the problem continues buy a cooling pad.

• Drew213Drew213 Member UncommonPosts: 60

Honestly it could be a lot of things. Did you recently install updates for Intel or Windows? Update internet browser? Please look in your uninstall programs tab and see what new programs or updates have been installed. Check your power saving features, Device Manager -Network Adapters- Select your adapter-Properties -Power- uncheck computer can power down to save power. I could assume maybe you need to install a driver for your onboard graphics or maybe you need to update your video card driver.

• amalageramalager Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Actually, from my experience. I just bought my computer. I mean I built a new one and its really expensive (Of course on my way of living). I tried playing games and it went smooth as expected. Suddenly it went laggy as well. I returned the unit to where I bought it and they told me that the processor fan went loose. When it was properly installed, my unit worked as it used to be and no problems at all.
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by JoseCline

Yes, may be while downloading, you are systems comes in contact of malware or some virus.

This doesn't make sense.  You don't "come in contact" with a virus on a computer like a human can.  Computer viruses are not transmitted or spread in the same way.  Most viruses are spread through email attachments, disguised as files you are trying to  download from less-than-reputable sites (embedded with pirated software), or placed on a less-than-reputable web site in an attempt to exploit a Java or Flash vulnerability.

If you are downloading things from sites you can trust, you have nothing to worry about.  If you are downloading forum attachments from sites with lots of ads that aren't well-known, you are taking a big risk.  If you are downloading torrents, you are taking a very big risk.

OP:  Malware often helps a system get infected with more malware.  You should try scanning with multiple products.  Some free ones to try are AVG, Microsoft Security Essentials, and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.  Since your computer is likely infected, use a clean computer if you can to download those programs and transfer using a flash drive, or you risk not being able to remove the infection.

There are other causes of performance issues, but I can't think of anything else which would suddenly cause a computer to go from a consistent 30FPS to 2FPS.  Double-check all of your system settings and make sure it is using your GPU and not an integrated GPU.  Use the system resource monitor to try to identify if a process or program is using a lot of CPU cycles.

This discussion has been closed.