Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Okay, so I actually really got into this game.

Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295

I went ahead and paid the 5 bucks to become preferred. Well, regardless how much fun I've had. I've come to a stop where I cannot complete any of the story quests anymore because I'm so underleveled and things are too strong for me. Playing as a free player really ruined my character and experience. I'm gonna end up subbing friday, but if I can get someone to possibly come help? D: I'm a level 12  empire bounty hunter on the shadowlands. I'd love it if someone could help :D

Comments

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    To be honest I just would not play this game without a subscription, the F2P mode is far too limiting.  But I would recommend subbing, it is a fun levelling experience. 
  • Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by PioneerStew
    To be honest I just would not play this game without a subscription, the F2P mode is far too limiting.  But I would recommend subbing, it is a fun levelling experience. 

That's what I've run into :c I'm literally stuck right now.

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by Konner920

I went ahead and paid the 5 bucks to become preferred. Well, regardless how much fun I've had. I've come to a stop where I cannot complete any of the story quests anymore because I'm so underleveled and things are too strong for me. Playing as a free player really ruined my character and experience. I'm gonna end up subbing friday, but if I can get someone to possibly come help? D: I'm a level 12  empire bounty hunter on the shadowlands. I'd love it if someone could help :D

So you've just recently started playing? Don't get me wrong during early level, the game is heaps fun, however once you get to cap level, it became "meh". But definitely its best to sub this game while you're enjoying it to get the maximum experience of the game.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by MyownGod

So you've just recently started playing? Don't get me wrong during early level, the game is heaps fun, however once you get to cap level, it became "meh". But definitely its best to sub this game while you're enjoying it to get the maximum experience of the game.

The "end game" is pretty much the same as most MMO's out there. You run flashpoints to gear up and then move on to Operations, or you go for PvP.

There's probably more operations and flashpoints now than when you played it (I'm guessing you played it near launch?).

Use the Groupfinder to run Black talon (edited: Or Esseles if you are Republic side), and also pick up the missions on the fleet such as Introduction to the Groupfinder. This will get you some good experience and possibly some gear (or at the very least commendations). Be sure to keep yourself and your companion well geared too.

You could also hop into a warzone or two to get some quick experience so that you can get back on track with your story missions. :)

Als, welcome! And I'm glad that you're enjoying the game!

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

No offense meant but if you are having issues, you must be dong something awfully wrong then.

Nothing to do with F2P...

• DjordjeCDjordjeC Member Posts: 3
    This. I've just started Balmorra, and i'm actually overleveled. The zone is for 16-20, and i'm nearly 18.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

With my imp agent, I'm still on Dromand Kaas as of 17.  As my Jedi Sent I'm level 14 heading into the second gang area on Coruscant.  Not that it helps in your particular situation but I was told very flatly that if you want to level above 20 that I should strongly consider going premium.  Otherwise it becomes a Korean grinder.

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

You could also hop into a warzone or two to get some quick experience so that you can get back on track with your story missions. :)

Als, welcome! And I'm glad that you're enjoying the game!

At level 12, he should also have daily/weekly Starfighter, PvP, and FP missions.  As long as he snatches those before wasting his time.

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by DjordjeC
    This. I've just started Balmorra, and i'm actually overleveled. The zone is for 16-20, and i'm nearly 18.

This as well.  On almost every character I have levelled I have had to go back to low level planets to complete my story missions and earned 7xp per quest.  

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405

This as well.  On almost every character I have levelled I have had to go back to low level planets to complete my story missions and earned 7xp per quest.  

This.

F2P players gain XP as it was intended..i.e. 100%(it's subscribers who get a bonus), with that said.

You should be doing ALL missions on the planet you are on including bonus,area missions,class story etc this will out level you beyond the Minimun level for the next planet by 2-3 levels every time.

It never becomes a "Korean" grinder unless you make it so...ever.

You also get free xp boosts as you level, use those for long heroic 4 missions/flashpoints.

• VatecVatec Member UncommonPosts: 9

If you're underleveled at level 12, it has nothing to do with F2P. The F2P XP "nerf" doesn't kick in until level 20, so you're getting the exact same experience as a subscriber right now. To be more precise:

• You're earning the same XP as a subscriber.
    • You don't have enough abilities to fill six quickbars, so you have the same effective number of quickslots as a subscriber.
    • You probably haven't found a single purple item, so you have the same effective gear as a subscriber.
    • You almost certainly haven't accumulated 350K credits, so you have the same effective amount of cash as a subscriber.
    So ... you're doing something wrong. My guess is A. you're skipping non-story missions, B. you're not using Planetary Commendations to acquire orange (customizable) gear and/or C. you're not using Planetary Commendations to acquire upgraded mods and ARMORINGS for whatever orange gear you have. Gear is VERY important in SWTOR.

So far I've made it to level 41 as a "Preferred" player and I am invariably at least 3-4 levels higher than my story quests by the time I get around to doing them. I don't run Flashpoints. I don't do PvP. So this is all from simply doing all the side missions on every planet (and even then, I usually don't do the Heroics unless I see a group forming while I'm in the area; I have =very= limited patience for standing around spamming for assistance on what are essentially optional missions). Money hasn't been an issue, either; I hit the credit cap before level 30. I can easily rack up a couple of hundred K in credits by spending a few hours running grey Heroics if I'm desperate.

SWTOR has a fairly steep learning curve for newbies and, despite all the tutorial popups, a lot of the "important" stuff really isn't explained. If you can't find a good newbie guide on the Internet, you might want to consider joining a guild that is willing to explain mechanics to new players. 

In any case, while I have some significant issues with the way Bioware has chosen to implement F2P restrictions (UI limitations? Really?), whatever issues you're experiencing have absolutely nothing to do with you being F2P or Preferred versus being a subscriber. If you sub with the expectation that it's going to fix all your problems, you're going to be very disappointed indeed.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Sinsai

This.

F2P players gain XP as it was intended..i.e. 100%(it's subscribers who get a bonus), with that said.

You should be doing ALL missions on the planet you are on including bonus,area missions,class story etc this will out level you beyond the Minimun level for the next planet by 2-3 levels every time.

It never becomes a "Korean" grinder unless you make it so...ever.

You also get free xp boosts as you level, use those for long heroic 4 missions/flashpoints.

This.

No offense to the OP. But he must have skipped most of the side missions, as it's almost impossible to underlevel yourself for content.

And when you subscribe, you outlevel content even faster. I always end up having lots of missions in my log that end up grey and just abandoned them.

• Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    hm.. I guess I'll go back and see what I can find, I must have overlooked.

You can also follow Ikeda's suggestion and grab all those weekly and daily quests on the fleet for a massive xp boost.

Also, if you're running flashpoints you can consider grabbing some flashpoint xp boosters off the GTN. Last time I bought some for my lowbie Sith Warrior they were going at 200 credits a piece.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• VatecVatec Member UncommonPosts: 9

Just had another thought:

Did you just land on Dromund Kaas? Are you getting killed by wild animals or Mandalorians while running to Kaas City?

If so, your problem is that you're trying to fight your way through a Heroic area. For some reason, Dromund Kaas has a big area full of heroic-level enemies between the spaceport and the city. If you can't fight your way through, just take a taxi speeder and worry about that area later....

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

I find it difficult to grasp how you hit a wall at level 12. I presume you are on Dromund Kaas advancing your class story. Don't just do your personal story quests, complete everything including all group content on each planet. There are plenty of players around making grouping easy. If you keep skipping quests you will come to certain points in your class story where you'll be asked to face some elite / boss type npc's with you being 2 or 3 levels bellow them thus making your progress almost impossible. 

My brother leveled a Jedi knight and a trooper as preferred with no problems before subscribing. However, if you like the game and plan to explore everything it has to offer then yes, do subscribe. It will definitely boost your overall experience with TOR.

Originally posted by Gorwe
     Whoever he is, is exactly like House.

LOL, good old House. :D